Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 61458 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #930 on: June 23, 2015, 10:17:25 PM »
The trick, I think, is going to be convincing her of that. I get the feeling she doesn't have too much faith in people in general, and the way this conversation has gone, we haven't entirely placed ourselves in her good graces. She only has our word that we don't have the time we need to get there and back without curing ourselves along the way.

« Reply #931 on: June 23, 2015, 10:18:27 PM »
>"Sorry! Sorry. I just like to know as much as I can about a job! I want to do it right, whatever I get asked to find."

>"I'm afraid I can give you little more information than this, other than I know that she has it. But she's a very visible figure; I'm sure it can't be too hard for a investigator of your caliber to figure out something."

« Reply #932 on: June 23, 2015, 10:28:36 PM »
>Nod. "I sort of wondered if my path would ever cross one of those big players back in Val Razua. Didn't think it'd be like this, but it seems like I've had nothing but surprises lately."
>"Okay, you have my word. One way or another, I'll get you your flower."

« Reply #933 on: June 23, 2015, 10:34:59 PM »
>Nod. "I sort of wondered if my path would ever cross one of those big players back in Val Razua. Didn't think it'd be like this, but it seems like I've had nothing but surprises lately."
>"Okay, you have my word. One way or another, I'll get you your flower."

>Yuuka smiles broadly. "Wonderful!"
>The rest of the vines uncoil from around you, leaving you lying on the ground. You almost feel like you're floating, now that the rest of that pressure's finally been released; this does little for your still-trembling legs, however.

« Reply #934 on: June 23, 2015, 10:44:49 PM »
>Take a moment to catch our breath. "Thanks. You, uh, wouldn't mind if I sat down for a little bit before I set off again, though, would you?"

« Reply #935 on: June 23, 2015, 10:48:28 PM »
>Take a moment to catch our breath. "Thanks. You, uh, wouldn't mind if I sat down for a little bit before I set off again, though, would you?"

>Your breathing is fine, if only various parts of you would stop their insistent hurting.
>Yuuka laughs softly; you can't help but feel it's at your expense. "A brief respite, but I am sure you must be in a hurry to get underway again."

« Reply #936 on: June 23, 2015, 10:51:43 PM »
>"You're right about that. Time isn't my friend."
>Assuming it's safe to sit here, then take a load off.
>"But there's no point in running off if you're just going to fall over half a mile off. That wouldn't do either of us any good."

« Reply #937 on: June 23, 2015, 10:55:54 PM »
>"You're right about that. Time isn't my friend."
>Assuming it's safe to sit here, then take a load off.
>"But there's no point in running off if you're just going to fall over half a mile off. That wouldn't do either of us any good."

>You think it's as safe to sit here as it is anywhere within a mile of this madwoman.
>"Oh, I'm sure you have a lot more resolve left in you than that," she says cheerfully. "I have full confidence in your determination."

« Reply #938 on: June 23, 2015, 11:54:28 PM »
>Manage a small grin. "Well, I don't give up easy."
>Pause. "But I'm going to need your help to get the job done."

« Reply #939 on: June 23, 2015, 11:58:22 PM »
>Manage a small grin. "Well, I don't give up easy."
>Pause. "But I'm going to need your help to get the job done."

>"And what exactly do you mean?" she asks with narrowed eyes.

« Reply #940 on: June 24, 2015, 12:07:26 AM »
>"I haven't been exaggerating when I said time wasn't my friend. I can't make it back to Val Razua and then get back here in time. Not without a much faster means of transport then my feet."

« Reply #941 on: June 24, 2015, 12:08:39 AM »
>"I haven't been exaggerating when I said time wasn't my friend. I can't make it back to Val Razua and then get back here in time. Not without a much faster means of transport then my feet."

>"I'm afraid I have none to provide you," she says.

« Reply #942 on: June 24, 2015, 01:54:09 AM »
>"Which leaves the second option, and I doubt you're going to like it, but I wouldn't say it if I felt I had any choice. I need to bring the bittercress back with me to get the medicine I need." And assuming she doesn't throttle us right away, "It's the only way to be sure I won't just fall over before getting the job done."

« Reply #943 on: June 24, 2015, 01:56:21 AM »
>"Which leaves the second option, and I doubt you're going to like it, but I wouldn't say it if I felt I had any choice. I need to bring the bittercress back with me to get the medicine I need." And assuming she doesn't throttle us right away, "It's the only way to be sure I won't just fall over before getting the job done."

>She arches an eyebrow. "Is it customary for your kind to expect full payment before performing a task?"

« Reply #944 on: June 24, 2015, 02:00:08 AM »
>"Not for me. I don't like taking money for something I haven't done. Some Seekers might, but I'm damn sure not one of them. But I've never taken on a request while I was dying before, either. I don't mind trying to get this flower for you, or any other flower you might want to add to your garden, but I can't get anything for anyone if I'm dead."

« Reply #945 on: June 24, 2015, 02:02:55 AM »
>"Not for me. I don't like taking money for something I haven't done. Some Seekers might, but I'm damn sure not one of them. But I've never taken on a request while I was dying before, either. I don't mind trying to get this flower for you, or any other flower you might want to add to your garden, but I can't get anything for anyone if I'm dead."

>"Then I suppose you shall just have to take care not to die beforehand, hmm?"

« Reply #946 on: June 24, 2015, 02:28:29 AM »
>Sigh. "I actually do get it. You don't have a reason to trust me beyond my word, and you don't know how much, if anything, that's worth. Am I right so far?"

« Reply #947 on: June 24, 2015, 02:38:20 AM »
>Sigh. "I actually do get it. You don't have a reason to trust me beyond my word, and you don't know how much, if anything, that's worth. Am I right so far?"

>"I think I am being quite generous to make this offer in the first place," she says. "You may take it or leave it, but the latter seems rather detrimental to your health. In more ways than one."
>The vines behind you stir just enough to make you stifle a flinch. Your poor psyche feels nearly as frayed as your body, as much as you'd hate to admit it. When are you ever going to get to leave this place and go someplace safe like, oh, an active volcano?

« Reply #948 on: June 24, 2015, 03:45:32 AM »
>"I'm just trying to get us both what we want. I'm guessing that this is the first time in a while that you've had a chance to get a hold of this lunar orchid. You might not get another chance for decades or more."

« Reply #949 on: June 24, 2015, 03:51:46 AM »
>"I'm just trying to get us both what we want. I'm guessing that this is the first time in a while that you've had a chance to get a hold of this lunar orchid. You might not get another chance for decades or more."

>"I might not," she says indifferently. "I can be patient."
>A faint grin tugs at the corner of her mouth. "Can you?"

« Reply #950 on: June 24, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
>"Not with any degree of sincerity. But I'd also be a fool if I betrayed you."

« Reply #951 on: June 24, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »
>"Not with any degree of sincerity. But I'd also be a fool if I betrayed you."

>"You were a fool to come here in the first place," she replies.

« Reply #952 on: June 24, 2015, 09:54:37 PM »
>Desperate times call for desperate measures.
>"Okay, a bigger fool for betraying you." Look around where the vines went. "You I think are now on the top of my list of people I do not want to cross."

« Reply #953 on: June 24, 2015, 10:08:33 PM »
>Desperate times call for desperate measures.
>"Okay, a bigger fool for betraying you." Look around where the vines went. "You I think are now on the top of my list of people I do not want to cross."

>You look over your shoulder. There are vines still present, protruding from the walls of flowers that surround you - just close enough to feel threatening, yet not quite in reach of you. Every now and again, they undulate slightly.
>Yuuka smiles silently for a moment. "Good."

« Reply #954 on: June 24, 2015, 11:18:29 PM »
>"So if you gave me the bittercress flower I need now, and I just took it and ran, I'd have to spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder, wondering when you were going to come after me to make me regret it. And I know you can make me regret it."

« Reply #955 on: June 24, 2015, 11:28:54 PM »
>"Wise words, but you're still wasting your precious time. I don't particularly care if you live or die, and you should consider yourself very fortunate to get even this chance; I suggest you not squander it."

« Reply #956 on: June 25, 2015, 03:20:15 AM »
>Sigh.
>"I don't suppose, by any happy chance, you know of a faster way back to Val Razua? I'll never make it if I have to go back the way I came."

« Reply #957 on: June 25, 2015, 03:25:39 AM »
>Sigh.
>"I don't suppose, by any happy chance, you know of a faster way back to Val Razua? I'll never make it if I have to go back the way I came."

>"Well, I hardly know the route you took here, do I?" she says lightly.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #958 on: June 25, 2015, 03:31:04 AM »
So she is just sending us off to die elsewhere, then. I think we need to change our tactics.

« Reply #959 on: June 25, 2015, 03:57:29 AM »
Any suggestions?