Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 61423 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #420 on: May 11, 2015, 04:59:43 AM »
>"Just curious, is all. I've never met a mermaid before. What's she like?"

« Reply #421 on: May 11, 2015, 05:01:48 AM »
>"Just curious, is all. I've never met a mermaid before. What's she like?"

>"She's... nice," Kagerou offers simply. "Gentle. She likes to simply drift and watch the moon on clear nights. She has a beautiful voice." That last sentiment seems to spring forth unbidden, and it is only after it is uttered that Kagerou begins to seem embrassed by it.

« Reply #422 on: May 11, 2015, 05:25:00 AM »
>Well, embarrassed is better than sullen.
>Gently, "She means a lot to you, doesn't she, Kagerou?"

« Reply #423 on: May 11, 2015, 05:29:49 AM »
>Well, embarrassed is better than sullen.
>Gently, "She means a lot to you, doesn't she, Kagerou?"

>Her mouth struggles with this one for a moment before blurting out an awkward "What's with that question?" Though it's as plain as day to you from her reaction that the answer can only be 'yes'.

« Reply #424 on: May 11, 2015, 05:48:37 AM »
>Try not to laugh at her reaction.
>But when that fails, chuckle lightly.
>Slightly singsong, "Oh, nothing."

« Reply #425 on: May 11, 2015, 05:57:34 AM »
>Try not to laugh at her reaction.
>But when that fails, chuckle lightly.
>Slightly singsong, "Oh, nothing."

>You can't suppress a small chuckle at Kagerou's consternation and then you very lightly tease her further with your reply.
>"What?" she asks plaintively, looking not altogether sure how she's supposed to interpret your reaction.

« Reply #426 on: May 11, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »
>Chuckle again, more quietly.
>"I was just taking that as a 'yes', my friend."

« Reply #427 on: May 11, 2015, 08:45:17 AM »
>Chuckle again, more quietly.
>"I was just taking that as a 'yes', my friend."

>Kagerou stumbles over this for another moment, then lets out a very quiet laugh herself - part chuckle, part sigh. "Is it that obvious?"

« Reply #428 on: May 11, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »
>"'fraid so."

« Reply #429 on: May 11, 2015, 09:00:34 AM »
>"'fraid so."

>Kagerou lets out another sigh and sags, like a tautness was lifted from her. When she raises her head again, there is the faintest trace of a vulnerable smile on it.
>"I guess it's not some kind of secret," she says. "But... yes. Yes, she means a great deal to me. Though I still don't really know why you're bringing this up now."

« Reply #430 on: May 11, 2015, 09:08:51 AM »
>"Like I said, I was curious."
>"And I thought it might cheer you up a bit. You seemed a mite... frazzled."

« Reply #431 on: May 11, 2015, 09:18:55 AM »
>"Like I said, I was curious."
>"And I thought it might cheer you up a bit. You seemed a mite... frazzled."

>She smiles wearily. "A little, maybe."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #432 on: May 11, 2015, 10:25:21 PM »
>Have we seen much in the way of mouse activity out here?

« Reply #433 on: May 11, 2015, 10:52:04 PM »
>Have we seen much in the way of mouse activity out here?

>It's the wrong time of day to notice much mouse activity out in the wild, though you did hear a few of them going about last night; they were most certainly too far away from your target to know any useful information about it, however.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #434 on: May 12, 2015, 12:03:41 AM »
>"Let me know if you see any mice around here. I might be able to ask them for directions."

« Reply #435 on: May 12, 2015, 12:35:43 AM »
>"Let me know if you see any mice around here. I might be able to ask them for directions."

>"Oh?" One of Kagerou's ears perks up in apparent curiosity. "You can... understand them?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #436 on: May 12, 2015, 01:14:06 AM »
>Nod.
>"Yep, never forgot the old tongue. Though...it's not really good for conversing."

« Reply #437 on: May 12, 2015, 02:52:52 AM »
>Nod.
>"Yep, never forgot the old tongue. Though...it's not really good for conversing."

>"Do you think a mouse would know any trails that would... actually be useful to us?" she asks with some hesitation. "They are... a lot smaller than us, after all."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #438 on: May 12, 2015, 05:21:46 AM »
>"They might, you just need to know what to ask for. Make sure they're thinking of us. Some...might not be so good at that, though."

« Reply #439 on: May 12, 2015, 05:45:22 AM »
>"They might, you just need to know what to ask for. Make sure they're thinking of us. Some...might not be so good at that, though."

>"Well, you're the expert," she says. "I'll let you know if I see anything."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #440 on: May 12, 2015, 07:27:20 AM »
>Nod.
>Once she seems ready to go, resume course. Keep a particular eye out for mice.

« Reply #441 on: May 13, 2015, 09:26:21 PM »
>Nod.
>Once she seems ready to go, resume course. Keep a particular eye out for mice.

>Once the two of you finish your lunches, you get back up and resume your course westward, through yet more tangled and rocky thickets that conspire to make the journey unpleasant. Progress remains slow, and your casual appraisal for mouse activity turns up little, unless you were willing to move even more slowly. Your trail does stumble upon one poorly-concealed mouse hole within the first hour, but the occupant - even upon being woken and then placated - is not especially bright, and also unable to tell you anything beyond what your map already does. Kagerou watches the exchange with a kind of faintly amused curiosity; you're not sure how much of it she can actually hear - a human would hear almost nothing at that pitch, but those ears aren't very human. You've no doubt you've passed a dozen other mouse dwellings by now, but in a wood this dense and knotted, it would take a concentrated search to uncover them while their owners were all asleep.
>Eventually the trees start to thin, and while the terrain remains rocky and uneven, their absence does a great deal to ease your journey. There are fewer obstacles to avoid and better sight lines to plot the easiest path; it's not exactly light walking, but after the last few hours, you'd take it in a heartbeat.

>More time passes. The bright sun of midday slowly wanes and the very first twinges of red are starting to grow visible on the horizon, if one looks for them. Over the last couple of hours, Kagerou seems to have grown increasingly... pensive. It's hard to put your finger on for certain, and she wasn't exactly comfortable around you from the outset, but it felt like there was an easing in her manner for a while that seems to be thinning out again, your companion's thoughts turning inward more frequently. Once or twice she seems almost a little despondent. Perhaps it's because she no longer has leading the way to preoccupy her; the further you've gotten from familiar territory, the more navigational decisions have fallen to you to make, and she simply follows. She makes a visible effort to mask her unease if you appear to be looking, but she honestly has a pretty terrible poker face. Something is bothering her.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #442 on: May 13, 2015, 10:03:06 PM »
>"Are you feeling alright?"

« Reply #443 on: May 13, 2015, 10:51:07 PM »
>"Are you feeling alright?"

>Kagerou seems to start slightly. "What? Oh, uh, I'm fine, really." She gives you a wan smile.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #444 on: May 13, 2015, 11:54:02 PM »
>"You sure? Frankly, it looks like something's been eating at you."

« Reply #445 on: May 14, 2015, 12:16:56 AM »
>"You sure? Frankly, it looks like something's been eating at you."

>"Well, um... maybe a little," she offers hesitantly. "But really, it's nothing you need to worry about."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #446 on: May 14, 2015, 12:27:59 AM »
>"Well, I won't try to drag it out of you if you don't want to talk about it. But, feel free to tell me if you want. My ears are big enough I can lend them for a little bit."

« Reply #447 on: May 14, 2015, 01:57:04 AM »
>"Well, I won't try to drag it out of you if you don't want to talk about it. But, feel free to tell me if you want. My ears are big enough I can lend them for a little bit."

>That one draws a genuine chuckle from Kagerou. Then she falls silent for few moments before quietly saying "I was just thinking about how far out here we've come now. The sun's already starting to set." She is silent again for another long moment, the only sound the steady passage of your feet across the rocky soil. She takes a slow, even breath.
>"Her birthday's the day after tomorrow. Uh, Wakasagihime's, I mean," she adds hastily. Almost immediately, a pall of guilt catches her face; her gaze drifts downward and her shoulders tense.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #448 on: May 14, 2015, 02:11:47 AM »
>"That's important."

« Reply #449 on: May 14, 2015, 02:41:47 AM »
>"That's important."

>"Not as important as the next few days are for you." Her voice is small, and she does not look up.