Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 61421 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #210 on: April 20, 2014, 04:33:24 AM »
>Finish off any treats left to finish off.

>Having already finished your tea, you wait patiently while Kagerou gathers up her things then hastily surveys the room, tidying little details here and there as she moves about, almost as if by instinct. She puts out the fire, grabs a small leather pack then throws on a heavy black shawl.
>"I'm ready if you are," she says, stern resolve in her eyes.

« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2014, 04:45:26 AM »
>Smile. "I can't tell you what this means to me, Kagerou. I'll make it up to you one day, if I can."
>Stand.
>"Let's roll."

« Reply #212 on: April 20, 2014, 05:34:12 AM »
>Smile. "I can't tell you what this means to me, Kagerou. I'll make it up to you one day, if I can."
>Stand.
>"Let's roll."

>"No need to worry about that," she says.
>You rise and depart, Kagerou giving one last cautious glance around her home before closing the door behind you. She leads the way around the back, up the rise upon which her house rests, then into the closed woods beyond.

>The terrain is much the same as always, once you move beyond sight of the river, rugged sometimes rocky ground with large looming trees and clumps of leafy underbrush. You spy scattered impressions of past footfalls in more yielding patches of ground, but Kagerou's pace gives little time to observe and even less need to. Despite her demure and and often hesitant demeanor while you spoke, she moves now with focus and purpose, traversing rough terrain with confident strides that are telling of her familiarity with it. You don't think she'd be quite as agile as you under ideal conditions, but she barely has to so much as pause for bearings or question whether to move left or move right. A surprising lack of genuine obstacles make you wonder how many you may have avoided by letting her make one choice instead of yourself making the other.
>Indulgently, it is pleasant not to have to think about where you are going, but simply follow - though this lasts only briefly before your mind resumes churning nonetheless. This cannot last until the garden - she has said as much - and you know before long you will be adrift in a distant wood with only hope and an old map to guide you, and little enough time to rely on so little. Each of the many unknowns before you loom like predators lurking in distant shadows. This doesn't have to work, after all. There are so many ways it could fail. So many ways you could fail. Sekibanki mightn't have even been right, and you could spend your last week scouring the wood for a place that isn't even there. Wouldn't that be a great way to go?
>You let out a sigh, the arborescent air tickling your nose as you draw breath again. For now you are in someone else's home turf, and they are showing you the way. Just for now, that will have to be enough.

>"If you... don't mind me asking," Kagerou says after a long silence. "How did you come to be searching for this? I mean you. This sick person... are they someone you know?"

« Reply #213 on: April 20, 2014, 06:15:49 AM »
>Pause.
>Darkly, "Yeah. Yeah, you could say that."

« Reply #214 on: April 20, 2014, 06:30:55 AM »
>Pause.
>Darkly, "Yeah. Yeah, you could say that."

>"Someone... close?"
>"I'm sorry, I don't mean to pry," she adds hastily.

« Reply #215 on: April 20, 2014, 06:46:17 AM »
>If you'd pry a little more, I wouldn't have to come out and say it...
>"No, no, it's... If anything I should apologize to you, for not coming out and saying it. But I didn't want to lay that on your doorstep on top of everything else." Grin faintly. "Figured you had enough to deal with out of the blue as it was."

« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »
>If you'd pry a little more, I wouldn't have to come out and say it...
>"No, no, it's... If anything I should apologize to you, for not coming out and saying it. But I didn't want to lay that on your doorstep on top of everything else." Grin faintly. "Figured you had enough to deal with out of the blue as it was."

>Kagerou frowns warily. "I'm not sure I follow."

« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2014, 12:57:58 AM »
>Nothing's ever easy.
>"It's me, Kagerou. I'm the one who's sick. I'm the one who's... dying."

« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »
>Nothing's ever easy.
>"It's me, Kagerou. I'm the one who's sick. I'm the one who's... dying."

>You watch the slow dawning of realization creep across Kagerou's face, her mind wrestling to reconcile what you've just said with the assumptions she'd already made. When she speaks it is quiet, as much a breath as a word, though her eyes are sharp.
>"What?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2014, 06:24:41 PM »
>"Just as I said. Don't worry, you can't catch it."
>We think.

« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2014, 06:32:07 PM »
>"Just as I said. Don't worry, you can't catch it."
>We think.

>"That's not-" She shakes her head, but seems unable to find the words she wishes to speak. "But you seem fine!" she eventually blurts, still frowning.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2014, 06:39:51 PM »
>"I've cheated death for a bit now. Just need to find something so I can seal the deal."
>Roll back a sleeve so she and see the veins.

« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
>"I've cheated death for a bit now. Just need to find something so I can seal the deal."
>Roll back a sleeve so she and see the veins.

>You roll up your sleeve to show Kagerou the large blight mark on your right arm - it's at least the size of your palm now, dark and ragged.
>Kagerou stares at it, cringing slightly. "Does that... hurt?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »
>"Not as long as I keep it medicated."

« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2014, 07:14:44 AM »
>"For now, anyway. The medicine I've got, miraculous as it is, is just a temporary measure."
>Realization. This is actually the first time we've told anyone about our blight since those pirates, isn't it?

« Reply #225 on: April 27, 2014, 01:34:17 PM »
>"Not as long as I keep it medicated."
>"For now, anyway. The medicine I've got, miraculous as it is, is just a temporary measure."

>She nods slowly. "Just for... another week?"

>Realization. This is actually the first time we've told anyone about our blight since those pirates, isn't it?

>It is. You were careful to frame it as a problem afflicting someone else, if you even mentioned a disease at all. You don't believe Kyouko knew even that much.

« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
>"About that. There's no way to be sure exactly how longer I've got left, but it's no more than two weeks, and that's being optimistic. Which is something I haven't been able to be a lot, lately."

« Reply #227 on: April 29, 2014, 12:00:00 AM »
>"About that. There's no way to be sure exactly how longer I've got left, but it's no more than two weeks, and that's being optimistic. Which is something I haven't been able to be a lot, lately."

>Kagerou just nods slowly, a troubled frown on her face. You walk on a little more in silence, save for the sound of the forest beneath your feet and the rustle of leaves at your passing.
>"I wish I knew what to say."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #228 on: April 29, 2014, 12:24:36 AM »
>"You didn't run off or scream abuse at me, so you're doing pretty well by my book."

« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2014, 12:27:47 AM »
>"You didn't run off or scream abuse at me, so you're doing pretty well by my book."

>"Has that... happened?" she asks.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #230 on: April 29, 2014, 12:36:41 AM »
>"Not as such. But that's why I don't go spreading the news. Not many people are going to hear that they can't catch it feel at ease about it."

« Reply #231 on: April 29, 2014, 12:43:52 AM »
>"Not as such. But that's why I don't go spreading the news. Not many people are going to hear that they can't catch it feel at ease about it."

>"No, well...."
>Something in her tone and posture makes you strongly suspect she doesn't either, but she keeps moving forward nonetheless.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #232 on: April 29, 2014, 01:02:38 AM »
>"Trust me, I've been assured by Minoriko herself."

« Reply #233 on: April 29, 2014, 01:06:11 AM »
>"Trust me, I've been assured by Minoriko herself."

>Her ears twitch. "Who?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #234 on: April 29, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
>"The harvest goddess from back in Braston. Well, further inland, but around there. She's the one who made my medicine."

« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2014, 01:11:04 AM »
>"The harvest goddess from back in Braston. Well, further inland, but around there. She's the one who made my medicine."

>"Braston? That's... way out east... isn't it?" she asks uncertainly. "Across the sky?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #236 on: April 29, 2014, 01:49:47 AM »
>"More or less."

« Reply #237 on: April 29, 2014, 10:29:47 PM »
>"More or less."

>"A long way to come..." she says absently.

« Reply #238 on: April 29, 2014, 10:42:38 PM »
>"Tell me about it. But I had a little help. Managed to find a ship that was a fair bit faster than your average passenger hauler."
>"I didn't have a lot of choice in the matter, either. Not even Minoriko knew about a cure for this blight. So I had to look somewhere else. Val Razua, specifically."

« Reply #239 on: April 29, 2014, 10:53:46 PM »
>"Tell me about it. But I had a little help. Managed to find a ship that was a fair bit faster than your average passenger hauler."
>"I didn't have a lot of choice in the matter, either. Not even Minoriko knew about a cure for this blight. So I had to look somewhere else. Val Razua, specifically."

>"And now here?" She ducks beneath a large oak bough. "Was this really the only thing that could be done?"