Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 60875 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2014, 04:21:30 AM »
>Remind ourselves of what we know Kagerou and how we came to hear of her.

« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2014, 04:46:50 AM »
>Remind ourselves of what we know Kagerou and how we came to hear of her.

>That was only a couple hours ago! Is the blight making you go senile too?
>You know very little about her, other than that she's a werewolf who lives out this way and comes into town every couple of weeks. Several people seemed to know of her, at least. One of the woman at the inn called her 'sweet' and said 'she wouldn't hurt a soul', for however much that's worth. Beyond that, you actually know very little.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2014, 05:01:39 AM »
>"Not so much sent as I got the idea you're one of the few folks who knows much about the wilderness."

« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2014, 05:04:49 AM »
>And I'll have you know that theives can never be senile. Only mages can be senile. ... Or are we a myrmidon?

« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2014, 05:19:42 AM »
>"Not so much sent as I got the idea you're one of the few folks who knows much about the wilderness."

>"Well, I do live here," she admits. There is a moment's hesitation, then she opens the door a little further. "Would you like to step inside?"

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2014, 05:26:33 AM »
>Nod. "Certainly. Thank you."
>Politeness always helps.
>Enter casa de fur.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2014, 05:31:37 AM »
>WIPE FEET BEFORE ENTERING.

« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2014, 05:43:46 AM »
>Nod. "Certainly. Thank you."
>Politeness always helps.
>Enter casa de fur.
>WIPE FEET BEFORE ENTERING.

>You accept Kagerou's offer graciously, wipe your feet on the deck, then step inside.
>"You can take off your shoes on the mat there, if you'd please," she says, indicating one that you just stepped on, as she moves further into the house. "Would you like some tea?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2014, 05:48:23 AM »
>Take them shoes off.
>"Please, if you have some ready."
>Have a look around.

« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2014, 06:03:02 AM »
>"Oh, I haven't introduced myself yet, have I. I'm Nazrin."

« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2014, 06:55:45 AM »
>Take them shoes off.
>"Please, if you have some ready."
>Have a look around.

>You take your shoes off on the mat, leaving them neatly beside a pair of sturdy leather hiking boots that look like they've seen their share of action.
>"Well, I wasn't expecting company," she says, "but it's no trouble, really."
>You take a look around the place while your host steps into an adjoining room. It seems to be relatively open-concept, with porch and living and dining space all sharing the same room, though perhaps this is a concession to the building's small footprint. The walls are largely bare wood, though the effect is more cozy than crude, with splashes of color from a large rug and comfortable-looking throws over the chairs. Shelves lined with small ornaments and carvings run along one of the walls, flanked by a framed painting of a waterfall cascading off a small islet and several wood burnings of modest skill - mostly of nature scenes, though one bears a reasonable resemblance to Kagerou herself. A wood-burning stove rests in the opposite corner; even at this distance you can feel the heat radiating from it. Above all the space seems bright and tidy, with multiple blazing lanterns spread about, and nearly every object seeming like it belongs exactly where it is. The only arguable exception is what appears to be some kind of worktable along the rear wall, beside a stepladder presumably leading to the loft space, judging from the outside of the house; currently it is spread with an assortment of small metal tools and a small slice of log with the bark still on it - not unlike some of the wood burnings hung from the wall, in fact - and looking rather as though someone was recently using them.

>"Oh, I haven't introduced myself yet, have I. I'm Nazrin."

>"Pleased to make your acquaintance. I'm Kage-" she stops, then suppresses a chuckle. "I suppose you must already know that if you're all the way out here. I don't usually get many visitors."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »
>"I imagine not, Except maybe the odd faerie. Sorry to bother you so late at night."

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »
>"I imagine not, Except maybe the odd faerie. Sorry to bother you so late at night."

>"Oh, don't worry about the time. I don't usually go to sleep until dawn."

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2014, 07:20:44 AM »
>A girl after my own heart.
>Is that remarkably uncommon in our own experience?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2014, 07:33:49 AM »
>"Well, that's good to hear. Anyways, what I need is information about these woods, and the lands to the <direction of the legendary field>. Would you be willing to have a look at my map and see if there's any obvious flaws?"

« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2014, 07:51:19 AM »
>A girl after my own heart.
>Is that remarkably uncommon in our own experience?

>Not really; quite a few youkai trend towards being nocturnal, particularly if they ascended from some animal which also was. Integrating into wider society sometimes puts a dampener on this, but you suppose it might be all the more common if one lived a largely isolated existence.

>"Well, that's good to hear. Anyways, what I need is information about these woods, and the lands to the <direction of the legendary field>. Would you be willing to have a look at my map and see if there's any obvious flaws?"

>"The west?" she asks quizzically. "I, um... I suppose I can. I'm not much of a cartographer, though. I know the area mostly because I lived here a while; I haven't really look at a map of it in a long time."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2014, 08:18:53 AM »
>Nod. "That's okay. We'll do what we can."
>Spread out the map on a table and let her have a look.

« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2014, 03:13:59 AM »
>Nod. "That's okay. We'll do what we can."
>Spread out the map on a table and let her have a look.

>You spread your map out on the kitchen table, placing the additional sections you traced from the fort's charts alongside it as Kagerou reappears from the other room bearing a small black kettle and other related supplies. She puts the kettle on the stove.
>"Ginger snap?" she asks, offering one in your direction. You can't help but note the long claw-like nails on her hand.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2014, 03:18:39 AM »
>"Oh, that's be nice!"

« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2014, 03:27:27 AM »
>"Oh, that's be nice!"

>With a still faintly pensive smile, Kagerou hands you the cookie, then takes a bite of a second one. She leans over your map.
>"These, uh, 'additions'," she says, pointing at the extra pages laid next to the map. "Are they your doing?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2014, 04:13:43 AM »
>"Yeah, from other charts and stuff I got from the fortress. If they're wrong, let me know."

« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2014, 05:04:24 AM »
>"Yeah, from other charts and stuff I got from the fortress. If they're wrong, let me know."

>"Oh." She seems a little surprised. "Well, I don't think I could spot any mistake they hadn't. I mean, they have proper cartographers and all." But she keeps staring at the maps nonetheless.
>"These go pretty far out," she says after a moment.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2014, 05:07:33 AM »
>"Well, you live here and they're just visiting. So I'm inclined to give some weight to your word, you know?"
>"And yeah, they go out pretty far."

« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2014, 05:09:27 AM »
>"But, they don't show what I'm really looking for out here. Well, at least not so far as anyone can tell."

« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2014, 05:16:01 AM »
>"Well, you live here and they're just visiting. So I'm inclined to give some weight to your word, you know?"

>"Well, I'm flattered, but...."

>"And yeah, they go out pretty far."
>"But, they don't show what I'm really looking for out here. Well, at least not so far as anyone can tell."

>She frowns warily. "And what's that?"

« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2014, 05:33:16 AM »
>Have a bite of that cookie.
>Wryly, "A needle in a haystack, it's starting to feel like."

« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2014, 06:05:21 AM »
>Have a bite of that cookie.
>Wryly, "A needle in a haystack, it's starting to feel like."

>You take a bite of the cookie. It's a bit on the dry side, and the ginger is rather pungent, but it's not bad.
>This answer does little to dispel Kagerou's frown. She looks as though she is anticipating a follow-up.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2014, 06:40:37 AM »
>"You've heard of the legendary flower garden, right?"

« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2014, 06:42:54 AM »
It just occured to me, Purvis, that we're taking for granted Kagerou isn't a healer herself. Maybe she is, maybe she's even seen this blight before, or at least heard about it. We should ask, if the opportunity comes up.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2014, 06:50:50 AM »
There's really nothing about the house that indicates she's any kind of medic. Medicines don't just get conjured out of thin air, you need to have the supplies on hand, and you have to prepared. If she were, we'd be seeing a lot more herbs being dried and mortars and pestles and such, and less wood-burning stuff. 

I suppose the question is; is there any more reason to think she's any more of a healer than Sekibanki or Yuugi were?