Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)  (Read 44404 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)
« Reply #810 on: November 22, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »
>Wince.
>"Absolutely?"

>She frowns slightly. "Something wrong?"

« Reply #811 on: November 22, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »
>"With the kunai? No."
>Produce kunai. At a non-threatening rate, of course.
>"With the katana? That one, I sort of have a hard time handing over. To anyone. It isn't personal, it's... Well my life depended on it, more than once. It isn't just a weapon to me."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:52:04 AM by Sweet & Sour »

« Reply #812 on: November 22, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »
>"With the kunai? No."
>Produce kunai. At a non-threatening rate, of course.
>"With the katana? That one, I sort of have a hard time handing over. To anyone. It isn't personal, it's... Well my life depended on it, more than once. It isn't just a weapon to me."

>You explain your hesitation as you produce each kunai in turn and hand it over to the guard. She examines them briefly then lays them down on the counter in front of her.
>She gives you a sympathetic look as you allude to your attachment to Kumokirimaru. "I get where you're coming from, but I'm afraid rules are rules." She chuckles wryly. "Even out here. I swear I won't get so much as a fingerprint on it, though - you have my promise."

« Reply #813 on: November 22, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »
>Just to remind ourselves, we experienced no problems being separtated from the sword before, correct?
>About how far away were we when we gave the sword to that pirate and that miko?

« Reply #814 on: November 22, 2013, 10:31:47 AM »
>Just to remind ourselves, we experienced no problems being separtated from the sword before, correct?
>About how far away were we when we gave the sword to that pirate and that miko?

>Not the last time you tried, at least.
>You only had the confidence to stray about 8 feet from Karu when she was holding Kumokirimaru, though you felt no ill-effects from the distance, and she seemed to think quite strongly that you'd remain fine from much further away. You don't actually know how far away Sumiko went, but wherever she did her work with the sword was separated from your room by a decently long hall, judging by the sound of her footsteps, so probably at least three times that - maybe more.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:37:45 AM by DracoOmega »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #815 on: November 22, 2013, 10:46:17 AM »
>"Would it be alright if I just tied the hilt to the sheath? I wouldn't mind if you used chain or wire, really. Assuming you had some."

« Reply #816 on: November 22, 2013, 09:16:47 PM »
>"Would it be alright if I just tied the hilt to the sheath? I wouldn't mind if you used chain or wire, really. Assuming you had some."

>The guard seems a little uncertain whether to take you seriously or not. "Being attached to the thing's all well and good, but isn't that going a bit far?"

« Reply #817 on: November 22, 2013, 09:46:17 PM »
>Glance down at the katana, and gently lay our hand upon its hilt.
>..."Maybe. But it's almost an instinct now. If I lost this sword, the consequences would be... Well, I don't even like to think about it. Parting with it is... difficult."

« Reply #818 on: November 23, 2013, 07:53:06 AM »
>Glance down at the katana, and gently lay our hand upon its hilt.
>..."Maybe. But it's almost an instinct now. If I lost this sword, the consequences would be... Well, I don't even like to think about it. Parting with it is... difficult."

>"Well, we're not going to lose it on you, I promise you."
>She seems a little hesitant. You gather she isn't quite sure what to make of your reluctance, and you have to suspect that a persistant attempt to avoid being disarmed before entering a secure area could eventually raise red flags. If you were in that woman's shoes, you might already be pondering implications. Of course, you might also be more suspicious than most people.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #819 on: November 24, 2013, 12:34:43 AM »
>"It's not about losing it. Well...um...look, just promise me if an emergency happens, you'll bring it as soon as possible. Or if I come running in, you'll give it to me immediately, okay?"

« Reply #820 on: November 24, 2013, 01:26:56 AM »
>"It's not about losing it. Well...um...look, just promise me if an emergency happens, you'll bring it as soon as possible. Or if I come running in, you'll give it to me immediately, okay?"

>The woman still looks doubtful, but musters up another attempt at a comforting smile - more awkward than the first. "I'm not sure there's been a real emergency here in my whole lifetime, but... sure. Don't worry."
>"Is there a problem?" you hear Sekibanki's voice call out from further away.
>The guard looks at you questioningly.

« Reply #821 on: November 24, 2013, 02:03:02 AM »
>Let's be logical, Naz. We've been some distance from it before, and nothing really bad seemed to happen. So it stands to reason that we should be able to travel a ways again without anything bad happening. And these are professional soldiers, not guys in trenchcoats in alleys. Even if they are a bit nervous.
>"Sorry, no. Coming."
>Remove belt with sheathe attached and submit it to the paranoid ones. Then follow that redhead.

« Reply #822 on: November 24, 2013, 02:38:58 AM »
>Let's be logical, Naz. We've been some distance from it before, and nothing really bad seemed to happen. So it stands to reason that we should be able to travel a ways again without anything bad happening. And these are professional soldiers, not guys in trenchcoats in alleys. Even if they are a bit nervous.
>"Sorry, no. Coming."
>Remove belt with sheathe attached and submit it to the paranoid ones. Then follow that redhead.

>You wrestle a little more with your fear and common sense, then eventually submit to removing Kumokirimaru and handing it over to the slightly puzzled guard.
>"It'll be here waiting for you whenever you come back out," she says reassuringly, then turns around and yells "Hori! Open the gate!"

>Following directly after Sekibanki would require you to lose several inches off your shoulders in order to squeeze through the narrow window separating guard room from where you're presently standing. You settle instead for moving towards the inner gate, which is already starting to creak with the tired groan of antique metal. A small, person-sized door within the larger gate swings open with all the alacrity of a hungover oni and about as much grace. Sekibanki is waiting expectantly behind it.
>"This way," she says, losing not a moment in following her own directions.

« Reply #823 on: November 24, 2013, 02:54:47 AM »
>It had better be.
>Take a passive scan of the place as we follow the captain here.

« Reply #824 on: November 24, 2013, 08:33:33 AM »
>It had better be.
>Take a passive scan of the place as we follow the captain here.

>You follow the taciturn captain as she purposefully leads you into the fort, setting a pace that is neither slow nor fast.
>The interior of Isir's Cross could be likened to a warren, with stout but ungainly buildings jammed together at all angles, divided by dirt paths and small open courts adorned with training dummies or supply crates or a lone ornamental poplar in one case. Snatches of conversation and the smell of soup and ale streaming from one low building suggest a mess hall, canvas sacks overflowing another, some kind of storehouse. Rising out of a crag far to your left is the watch tower, surveying the maze below with a kind of stolid diligence. The whole affair would probably be a terrible fire hazard were it not built chiefly of stone, and likely warded against flame on top of that. Mismatched bands of stonework stand as testament to centuries of repairs and remodelling; it is obvious that no landscape artists were ever involved at any point of the process.
>You pass a scattered soldier as you walk, though few enough even at this time of day to make you suspect a smaller garrison than the place was built to house - not surprising, really. A couple of them pretend very obviously not to be curious about you as you pass by, while the lack of interest from the rest seems genuine enough. No one salutes their captain or tries very hard to give the impression they belong to a regimented fighting force instead of a bunch of idle groundskeepers tending ancient bricks - you imagine you don't warrant the demonstration - but no one interrupts you, either. And if Sekibanki is displeased by the pair of layabouts cracking dirty jokes while dangling their feet off the roof of the smithy, she shows no sign of it, although the woman remains vexingly difficult to read; she has managed to avoid saying much of anything on the walk while never quite refusing to reply. You still haven't gotten a good look at her face either, and that bugs you.

>In absence of conversation, you pay a little more attention to your other senses as you meander the fort. It isn't hiding stockpiles of gold and jewels, that's for sure, though you would have been staggered to discover it was. There are more than a handful of enchanted items about, but this is similarly unsurprising; even a small and relatively unimportant garrison would be expected to have its share of magical hardware and Val Razua is possibly the most plentiful source of such trinkets in the entire world. You think even Sekibanki's cloak is enchanted somehow. Nothing strikes your senses with anything near the force that Kumokirimaru did, though there is a lot more noise here - your trusty lifesaver had the benefit of being the one enchanted object in a whole cavern, as near as you could tell. With some time and your dowsing rods, you expect you could track down quite a few things of modest interest around the fort, but it would hardly be polite to do this in view of the commander; probably one earns fewer favors by Seeking inside a benefactor's household.

>Eventually you are led inside a squat barrel of a building, somewhere near the rear though not quite nestled against the cliffside, and then up a flight of creaky wooden stairs into an office of a sort, almost purely functional blandness save for a suit of probably-decorative armour - antique and heavy-looking plate in nearly the same black and red as the captain's own uniform. Curiously, the helmet is cradled in the armour's hands, rather than resting in the usual position.
>"So, what have you heard about this garden?" Sekibanki ask without further preamble.

« Reply #825 on: November 24, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »
>Come to think of it, can we still sense our sword now? And if so, does it appear to have been moved?

« Reply #826 on: November 24, 2013, 08:53:35 AM »
>Come to think of it, can we still sense our sword now? And if so, does it appear to have been moved?

>You still have a sense of it, but you couldn't determine its precise location at this distance and in this environment without breaking out your dowsing rods.

« Reply #827 on: November 24, 2013, 08:56:37 AM »
>How about its general location?

« Reply #828 on: November 24, 2013, 08:58:39 AM »
>How about its general location?

>To be perfectly honest, by this point you are not even fully certain which direction the gatehouse is from your present location, but you have no strong reason to think that someone has wandered off with your sword, nor do you feel any ill-effects from the distance.

« Reply #829 on: November 24, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »
>It is disconcerting to be out of touch with that sword.
>But, since there doesn't seem to be a lot we can do about it now, tell the captain what we've heard about this garden.

« Reply #830 on: November 24, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »
>It is disconcerting to be out of touch with that sword.
>But, since there doesn't seem to be a lot we can do about it now, tell the captain what we've heard about this garden.

>Stifling your discomfort, you cover the bulk of what you've heard of the garden and its location and caretaker - which still isn't very much, all told, or you wouldn't be in this office in the first place. Despite the spartan spaciousness of the room, it manages to give off a curiously warring sense of confinement at the same time. The narrow windows give a poor view of the outside and you imagine an even poorer view from the outside and that suit of armour isn't helping at all. In your peripheral vision, it gives the lingering impression of a third person skulking in the room with you - perhaps that was even the intention in placing it there?

>Sekibanki listens with apparent attentiveness, though little change in expression. "You said the first person that told you about the garden was a professor. There were others, then." She makes it more a statement than question, though it might still be both. You hadn't mentioned your sources at all since the gatehouse, though, so she's clearly been taking notes.

« Reply #831 on: November 24, 2013, 09:52:37 AM »
>It WAS Daiyousei after that, right?

« Reply #832 on: November 24, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »
>It WAS Daiyousei after that, right?

>Yes.

« Reply #833 on: November 24, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »
>Nod. "A student at the university." If we learned what her speciality was, add that bit of information. "According to her, some friends of hers found the garden some time ago, but she wasn't able to give me precise coordinates. And she warned me, repeatedly, that I shouldn't go there. That this Yuuka was very, very dangerous. But I've faced dangerous youkai before."

« Reply #834 on: November 24, 2013, 07:58:40 PM »
>Nod. "A student at the university." If we learned what her speciality was, add that bit of information. "According to her, some friends of hers found the garden some time ago, but she wasn't able to give me precise coordinates. And she warned me, repeatedly, that I shouldn't go there. That this Yuuka was very, very dangerous. But I've faced dangerous youkai before."

>Mentioning that Dai's friends claimed to actually find the garden finally gets a reaction from Seikibanki, though the shock is muted, and replaced with a nearly imperceptible sneer when you assert your confidence in dealing with its owner. Well, maybe it would be more perceptible if you could see her mouth.
>"They said they found it? In person?" There's a brief pause. "Who were they?"

« Reply #835 on: November 25, 2013, 02:30:38 AM »
>Ah, yes. Was hoping you weren't going to ask that.
>Wait a minute, she said who, not what. So...
>"She didn't tell me their names. But they quite young at the time, little more than children. She didn't really even like talking about, but I got the impression it was an experience her friends wanted to forget." Pause. "I admit, it's not a lot in the way of corroboration, but I've known slimmer leads that turned out to be true."

« Reply #836 on: November 25, 2013, 04:27:29 AM »
>Ah, yes. Was hoping you weren't going to ask that.
>Wait a minute, she said who, not what. So...
>"She didn't tell me their names. But they quite young at the time, little more than children. She didn't really even like talking about, but I got the impression it was an experience her friends wanted to forget." Pause. "I admit, it's not a lot in the way of corroboration, but I've known slimmer leads that turned out to be true."

>Sekibanki's eyes narrow dimly. "What kind of youkai were they?"

« Reply #837 on: November 25, 2013, 05:51:34 AM »
>Of course.
>"They weren't. They were fairies."

« Reply #838 on: November 25, 2013, 06:28:18 AM »
>Of course.
>"They weren't. They were fairies."

>The captain lets out a self-satisfied grunt. "Figures. I suppose that's why you're not all that worried that they said the place is dangerous either, huh?"

« Reply #839 on: November 25, 2013, 06:32:36 AM »
>"Normally, you'd be right. But this time, I think it's more than just fairies being fairies, if you'll pardon the expression. I got the impression that these fairies were scared to death by what they saw there. And they STAYED scared afterwards. It's one thing for a fairy to react to something, but if that kind of fear hits them and sinks in, then that's something else."
>"But even if this Yuuka is capable of teaching fairies the meaning of fear, it doesn't matter. I still have to find her."