Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)  (Read 44031 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)
« Reply #930 on: December 02, 2013, 06:48:15 AM »
>Aside from additional food, what else do we think we might need for a week's travel, assuming we don't find Yuuka in a generous mood?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #931 on: December 02, 2013, 07:51:11 AM »
>Remind us what a heatstone does?

I'm thinking we'll want some medical supplies. Other than that. trail rations, and some waterskins, we'd want something to sleep in. Which will be heavy, but worth it due to being able to get some decent sleep on day 2.

« Reply #932 on: December 02, 2013, 09:25:48 AM »
Perhaps another torch or two as well. We have a lantern, I believe, but it never hurts to have backup. And possibly a poncho or some other form of covering against the rain.
But as for a tent, or bedroll, or something like, I'm not sure on. You said it yourself, it will be heavy, and bulky as well. I imagine Nazrin is the sort of adventurer who isn't too bothered about kipping up on the ground if the need arises. Even when she is sick.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #933 on: December 02, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »
This is kinda speaking from experience, but bad bedding is the difference between getting 4 hours worth of fitful sleep and getting no hours worth. And heavy exertion on top of sleep deprivation is not a good deal. On the other hand, I have hella sleep issues and maybe overemphasize it  BUT WE CAN FIX THIS!

>How well do we rough it, in terms of sleep, particularly with regards to sleeping without bedding.

« Reply #934 on: December 02, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »
>Aside from additional food, what else do we think we might need for a week's travel, assuming we don't find Yuuka in a generous mood?

>You probably have most of the bare necessities already - map, compass, dowsing rods, and food and water. There are several things that might provide added comfort, but which you do not truly need for the trip, such as a good tent or even a sleeping bag. Medical supplies are less important than they would be for a human, as you will recover naturally from most any injury you could expect to acquire and without serious risk of infection. You certainly wouldn't say no to an antivenin if you got bitten by a snake, but you doubt that will be an issue and it certainly wouldn't kill you - though you're in no hurry to relive anything that even approaches what that spider in the river did to your hand. There is a veritable array of things that could be useful, from water repellent clothing to enchanted climbing gloves to small hunting traps to potions for vim and vigor or a skysight prism.
>What you might need after finding the garden is another question. If some of what Sekibanki said about this Yuuka character is accurate, perhaps you could also use a small army....

>Remind us what a heatstone does?

>A heatstone is, fittingly, an enchanted stone that can be activated to generate heat. The one you possess is about the size of your palm, and could be used to heat up a mug of coffee, warm a sleeping bag, dry out damp clothing, or anything else you could think of that could be accomplished by a hot stone. A larger one could boil a whole pot of soup on its own.

>How well do we rough it, in terms of sleep, particularly with regards to sleeping without bedding.

>You have to admit that you've gotten very used to the warm softness of a proper bed over the years, but you are still a youkai born of a creature of the forest and spent the first days of your new life sleeping on the ground. During the wilderness training expeditions of your apprenticeship, you had actually been surprised by how much difficulty some of the others had getting rest without proper bedding; you just curled up in the softest shadiest spot and went to sleep. You think some of them were even a little jealous.

« Reply #935 on: December 03, 2013, 06:56:01 AM »
>How long does a heatstone the size of ours last when activated?
>So we feel we could get by without a sleeping bag or bed roll well enough for a few days in the woods?

« Reply #936 on: December 03, 2013, 07:14:31 AM »
>How long does a heatstone the size of ours last when activated?
>So we feel we could get by without a sleeping bag or bed roll well enough for a few days in the woods?

>Until you tell it to stop, or it runs out of magical power. The latter should take a goodly while - they are not intended as single-use disposables.
>You could; it would be more a comfort than a necessity.

« Reply #937 on: December 03, 2013, 08:08:47 AM »
>"I'll need some more food as well, just in case. I can scrounge with the best of em, but a Mouse needs something to fall back on."
>Pause and consider. "And I think a jacket, or a cloak, something for the rain, just in case."
>Crack a grin. "Something to bribe a crazy dangerous youkai gardener with mightn't be a bad idea either, but I reckon I'm on my own there."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #938 on: December 03, 2013, 08:10:20 AM »
>"Got any matches to spare?"

« Reply #939 on: December 03, 2013, 08:11:22 AM »
Oh right, torches and campfire stuff. Knew I was forgetting something.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #940 on: December 03, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »
To be fair, we don't need them. Draco confirmed we can do it with flint and steel. But matches are so many times faster and easier you'd be a fool not to get them if they're cheap.

« Reply #941 on: December 03, 2013, 08:24:55 AM »
Touche.
And for some reason, I find myself wanting to make a match youkai for Lotus now. Maybe tomorrow, though.

« Reply #942 on: December 03, 2013, 09:03:54 AM »
>"I'll need some more food as well, just in case. I can scrounge with the best of em, but a Mouse needs something to fall back on."
>Pause and consider. "And I think a jacket, or a cloak, something for the rain, just in case."
>Crack a grin. "Something to bribe a crazy dangerous youkai gardener with mightn't be a bad idea either, but I reckon I'm on my own there."

>"So long as you're not picky what it tastes like," she says. "If you want a better menu, the village might be your best bet after all."
>She nods. "We can probably dig something up that would fit you."
>Sekibanki lets out a dark snicker. "If we had something she wanted, she might have already taken it. If that really is her."

>"Got any matches to spare?"

>"Sure, that one's easy. I'll even toss a few in for free."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:44:34 AM by DracoOmega »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #943 on: December 03, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »
>"Thanks!"

« Reply #944 on: December 03, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »
>"Thanks!"

>"Should I get someone to go take care of that or do you want to stare at these maps some more first?" She doesn't even bother to nod.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #945 on: December 03, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
>"Lemme make some updates to mine real fast..."
>Copy down those trails, terrain features of note, and all that good stuff.

« Reply #946 on: December 04, 2013, 03:46:25 AM »
>"Lemme make some updates to mine real fast..."
>Copy down those trails, terrain features of note, and all that good stuff.

>"Sure."
>You quickly sketch in as many relevant bits of information as you can fit on the map you have, then borrow some spare paper to copy down the parts beyond it, placing one sheet atop the other and tracing the terrain's contours carefully. Partway through, the captain's head departs to signal the quartermaster about the supplies you requested, returning through the window only just as you're putting the finishing touches on your maps. You guess it must beat marching up and down the stairs all the time?
>"Done then?" she asks.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #947 on: December 04, 2013, 04:00:28 AM »
>"Yeah, I think this is pretty good."

« Reply #948 on: December 04, 2013, 08:50:09 PM »
>"Yeah, I think this is pretty good."

>"Okay, they should probably have most of the stuff you asked for rounded up by the time we get there."
>She rolls the charts back up and tucks them under her arm before setting off toward the stairs down.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #949 on: December 05, 2013, 01:25:36 AM »
>Follow that person who was probably executed for high crimes!

« Reply #950 on: December 05, 2013, 02:29:14 AM »
>Follow that person who was probably executed for high crimes!

>You follow the captain downstairs and back into the twisting alleyways of the fort. You retrace most of your original route - or so you think; it's hard to be sure here - and then take a hard left along the outer wall before doubling back inside again. She leads you to a long squat building, looking a little like a small warehouse abutted by a half-dozen extensions and outbuildings in nearly as many different shades of stone.

>The interior looks considerably more well-ordered, though your view is mostly confined to a modest antechamber - perhaps they have simply managed to confine the chaos beyond the diving wall in the back. There is a pair of wooden counters in the space, as well a desk laden with supplies of the clerical trade and a small glass lantern to illuminate them, but no occupant.
>Upon the counter to your right is stacked a suspicious pile of items: a couple of large canteens, a very small rectangular tin, and a few small bundles wrapped with coarse paper and twine. Nothing you could wear, though.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #951 on: December 05, 2013, 02:33:18 AM »
>"Nice. What's the damages?"

« Reply #952 on: December 05, 2013, 02:37:41 AM »
>"Nice. What's the damages?"

>"Decide what you want first, then we'll work something out." She glances towards the back, where a small interior window hints at more cluttered space beyond. "Mayweather's probably still trying to dig out something wearable."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #953 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:52 AM »
>"It all looks pretty good, to be honest."
>Check the tin, and take count of its contents.
>Do the canteens seem to have the carrying capacity we need?

« Reply #954 on: December 05, 2013, 03:03:08 AM »
>"It all looks pretty good, to be honest."
>Check the tin, and take count of its contents.

>"Not a picky mouse," she says wryly.
>You pick up the little tin, and flip open the lid. Inside is a bundle of stout matches. Looks about a dozen.
>"Waterproof," Sekibanki adds as you look at them.

>Do the canteens seem to have the carrying capacity we need?

>Both of the canteens look fairly old and a bit dinged up, but they are also notably larger than your own. This makes them a fair bit bulkier as well, but there's always a tradeoff. You don't really know your water needs for this trip, as it's uncertain how frequently you'll be able to refill - your dowsing rods will certainly let you find water more easily than most travelers would.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #955 on: December 05, 2013, 03:18:50 AM »
>"This'll all do."

« Reply #956 on: December 05, 2013, 03:54:31 AM »
>"This'll all do."

>"All of it?" she asks.
>At that point, an ungainly brunette with a mildly frustrated look on her face emerges from the back, hauling a pair of bulky and slightly threadbare cloaks - one black and the other faded navy with mismatched stitching. She eyes you sourly, then tosses her burden onto the counter in an unceremonious heap of rumpled fabric.
>"Will that do?" she asks, though it's unclear from either her expression or her facing which of the two of you she's addressing.

« Reply #957 on: December 05, 2013, 04:48:45 AM »
>Consider. We could probably make do with just the one canteen, right?
>Observe the clothing and see which one seems to be the best put together.

« Reply #958 on: December 05, 2013, 05:14:12 AM »
>Consider. We could probably make do with just the one canteen, right?
>Observe the clothing and see which one seems to be the best put together.

>Probably so, though again you cannot know for certain how long you will have to go between places you can refill. Your maps showed few obvious places past the first day or so, but a little unmarked brook would do you just as well as the larger rivers for this purpose. Finding one might be easy or it might not.
>Neither one of them looks particularly flattering or even altogether comfortable, but they do at least look durable and heavy enough to keep the rain out as well as you could hope. Of the two, the black one seems in better shape, but the navy one might be a closer fit for your frame.

« Reply #959 on: December 05, 2013, 06:15:24 AM »
>How awkward or cumbersome would it be to have both canteens in addition to our own?