Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47455 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2012, 03:32:23 AM »
>Fold arms.
>"What do YOU think."

>The professor's eyes narrow as you fold your arms and elect not to answer her question. She sighs again.
>"You're not being very amiable for someone looking for a favor," she says.
>"I'm sorry, professor!" Kyouko says. "It's just... she said she needed help and she seemed nice!"
>"You think everyone seems nice, Kyouko."

« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2012, 03:38:12 AM »
>"This job of mine has been a very stressful one, with more delays and obstacles than I might have thought possible, and every little result I get yields yet another complication, or more. So yeah, I'm a bit on edge."
>"And I wouldn't say 'favor', precisely. If need be, I'm prepared to pay."

« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2012, 04:04:41 AM »
>"This job of mine has been a very stressful one, with more delays and obstacles than I might have thought possible, and every little result I get yields yet another complication, or more. So yeah, I'm a bit on edge."
>"And I wouldn't say 'favor', precisely. If need be, I'm prepared to pay."

>"Which would be all well and good," she says, "If getting you an answer was half as easy as I fear you think it is. But fine. Isir's Cross is several days away from here. Even if this garden was smack dab in the middle of the guard captain's back yard for all the world to see, I'd be about as capable of finding this out from here as I suspect you are of eavesdropping on a whispered conversation taking place on the other side of town. However good your hearing is, I doubt it's that good."
>"Mine isn't, either...." Kyouko adds regretfully.

« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2012, 04:06:19 AM »
>Do we know enough about scrying and divination to dispute that?

« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2012, 04:30:03 AM »
>Do we know enough about scrying and divination to dispute that?

>There are enough different manners and techniques of divination that you can't be entirely sure. Certainly, you believe it's theoretically possible to observe great distances via some means, but at least some of these require preestablished focal points; you don't know what restrictions would be in effect for other methods. On a more personal level, even if you were dowsing for something blindingly obvious like a giant hunk of orichalcum, that sort of distance would be considerably outside your effective range. You'd probably have about as much luck dowsing for Ichirin's house keys all the way from Braston.

« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2012, 04:40:16 AM »
>"Is the problem simply in the distance involved, or the tools available as well?"

« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2012, 05:19:07 AM »
>"Is the problem simply in the distance involved, or the tools available as well?"

>"Distance and the size of what you're looking for," she says. "A garden doesn't strike me as a big or obvious thing or it would already be on the map, and a flower is almost preposterously small without some sort of sympathetic anchor. Long-range scrying without a target foci or an anchor or even knowing precisely where you're supposed to look is... not something done lightly. Or at all. And this is assuming no one's even trying to hide it - which you said they are. If you can give me something more to work with, then maybe I can give you a suggestion or two. Maybe. But otherwise it's been a long and annoying day and I still have a meeting to attend before I can get it over with."

« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2012, 05:24:40 AM »
>"A target focus...."
>Think.
>"Something like, the specific plant I was looking for, but dried out? It's the flowers I need, having it dried isn't what the recipe requires. But if you had the dried variety, would locating the flowers be any easier?"

« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2012, 05:29:12 AM »
>"A target focus...."
>Think.
>"Something like, the specific plant I was looking for, but dried out? It's the flowers I need, having it dried isn't what the recipe requires. But if you had the dried variety, would locating the flowers be any easier?"

>"It might," she says, "though that's still much too far for too small an object unless there's something extremely magically distinctive about these flowers."

« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2012, 05:38:26 AM »
>Did the book, or the professor, mention any mystical properties about the flower whatsoever?

« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2012, 05:42:55 AM »
>Did the book, or the professor, mention any mystical properties about the flower whatsoever?

>No. In most regards, they appeared to be considered mundane.

« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2012, 05:49:32 AM »
>Where was it supposed to grow naturally again? Specifically, how far away were the indicated regions?

« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2012, 05:58:34 AM »
>Where was it supposed to grow naturally again? Specifically, how far away were the indicated regions?

>Not all of the associated placenames meant anything to you, but you believe the nearest location was in northeastern Hanashibara, which would put it somewhat further away than Isir's Cross. Whether this is closer or further than the supposed garden is hard to say without knowing how far off the beaten track that is.

« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2012, 06:19:44 AM »
Anyone else have any ideas?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2012, 06:20:45 AM »
'Fraid not. Maybe that broad in red from earlier might have something to help us though. That is, if she's who I suspect she is.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2012, 07:26:54 AM »
You thinking Yumemi, too?
If you think she can help, comrade, go right ahead. At the moment, I am officially out of ideas.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2012, 07:28:43 AM »
I ain't sure how to properly cut off from here to track 'er down though.
But yeah, that's who I was thinkin'.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2012, 07:42:12 AM »
That much, I think I can handle.
Hmm....
Maybe I'm not COMPLETELY boned just yet. Give me a minute here, before we go alien hunting.

>How far away were those areas, can we guess, from Val R?
>Assuming the flower, or seed, is at the closest location that isn't that garden, can we make it there, and back to the city, before we die?

« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »
>How far away were those areas, can we guess, from Val R?
>Assuming the flower, or seed, is at the closest location that isn't that garden, can we make it there, and back to the city, before we die?

>Isir's Cross is probably somewhere short of two day's journey - maybe a little less, even. You think the Maruzawa is another day or so beyond that.
>This is hard to estimate given that you don't really know how much time you have left. Minoriko didn't give you a specific timeframe, though you were left with the impression she didn't expect you'd live much past a week or two, of which five days have already passed. Though you still don't feel all that terrible and and the progress of the blight markings on your body has been relatively slow, though some of them are fairly large already. Whatever this indicates of your nearness to death, you cannot say for certain.

« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »
>"I presume the presence of an ancient youkai who tends this garden wouldn't make it any easier to scry upon? As a target, I mean."

« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
>"I presume the presence of an ancient youkai who tends this garden wouldn't make it any easier to scry upon? As a target, I mean."

>"Perhaps," she says after a moment's contemplation. "Do you have access to anything connected with her? A long-held possession? Something touched by her power? Maybe even a blood-relative, though all of this might still be wishful thinking at this distance."

« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2012, 11:13:09 PM »
>Of course we don't.
>Inventory. Because why not.

« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2012, 01:46:40 AM »
>Of course we don't.
>Inventory. Because why not.

>Kumokirimaru (worn at side)
>Prism Pendant (around neck)
>Seeker's Badge (pinned to chest)
>360 Val Razuan guilders
>Compass
>Traveling pack
>Traveling rations
>Canteen (partially empty)
>Lockpicks
>4 kunai
>Picture of Sokrates
>Fuwafuwa Heart Droplet
>XR-30 intake flow regulator (heavily rusted)
>Antique Val Razuan 1 guilder coin
>Dowsing rods
>Tie-dyed umbrella
>Spool of baling twine
>Bottle of Kumokirimaru-imbued medicine
>Sachet of blessed soil
>List of physicians' contact addresses
>Neu's note
>Pencil
>100 feet of rope
>2 glowsticks
>2 torches
>Small heatstone
>Basic grappling hook
>Blue ribbon
>Two spare outfits (one somewhat damaged)
>Piece of peppermint-raspberry chewing gum
>Recipe for Athran's Vigor

« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2012, 02:21:27 AM »
>Shake head.
>"I didn't even know know she existed until today."

« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2012, 02:41:36 AM »
>Shake head.
>"I didn't even know know she existed until today."

>The professor subtly raises an eyebrow. "And you do now because...?"
>"I'm just going to go deliver this box now, okay?" Kyouko interjects in a cheerful tone.
>"Go on," the professor says flatly.

« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2012, 02:59:57 AM »
>"Thanks for the help, Kyouko."
>To the diviner, "Professor Bosqueverde mentioned her when she told me about the garden."

« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2012, 03:55:35 AM »
>"Thanks for the help, Kyouko."
>To the diviner, "Professor Bosqueverde mentioned her when she told me about the garden."

>"No problem!" she replies with a smile as she turns and walks back down the hallway.
>"About the garden!" you hear Kyouko repeat softly as she rounds the corner.
>"But she doesn't know where it is?" the professor asks.

« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2012, 04:11:21 AM »
>Precisely what did the professor tell us about the location of the garden?

« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2012, 06:41:04 AM »
>Precisely what did the professor tell us about the location of the garden?

>That it was in the wilderness west of Isir's Cross, so she had heard. Beyond that, she had no idea how far west it was; the expanse she described covered what could be potentially be several day's travel just from one end to the other.

« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2012, 06:45:24 AM »
>Relay the pertinent information she gave to us to professor Morrigan here, and apend with "That's all she knew about. I had been hoping to find someone here in town that knew more about it, or where to find it. But since I was here on campus, I wanted to check this department first, to see if it could be located that way."