Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)  (Read 47406 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)
« Reply #600 on: June 29, 2012, 06:50:51 AM »
>Well, she did call us.
>Go to Miyuki and (presumably) Chisato.

>You stop and turn towards Chisato's room, and find the door has been left a couple feet ajar, though not enough to actually see any of the occupants. You nudge it open the rest of the way and step inside.
>Like your own, the condition of the room doesn't seem to have suffered greatly for the presence of the pirates. Well, assuming they've actually gotten around to going through this one. Chisato is lying in the bed, and you suspect she may even be asleep, judging from the lack of movement. Miyuki is sitting in the sole chair, and seems to have fetched a couple boxes from somewhere which she is using to keep her leg elevated. Her dress is drawn back a little from that leg and a large cloth is wrapped around her ankle. She looks at you with a weary, and frankly a little shell-shocked, expression, though the weak traces of the smile she attempts to wear suggest she is glad to see you.
>She glances at Kumokirimaru and the rest of your gear. "They're letting you walk around with all that?"

« Reply #601 on: June 29, 2012, 07:03:30 AM »
>Afford ourselves a moment of relief. Chisato was in a lot worse state not long ago. Sleeping's a lot better than a number of other alternatives.
>Keep our voice down, so as not to disturb Chisato, hopefully, "I had to promise Aya I wasn't going to shank her flunkies the first chance I got, but yeah. And to be honest, I'm pretty surprised myself. But I guess she figures I'm no threat, one way or the other."
>Glance down at our leg, then offer a small grin to Miyuki. "She may not be wrong on that one, either. I bet I look like hell."

« Reply #602 on: June 29, 2012, 07:12:12 AM »
>Afford ourselves a moment of relief. Chisato was in a lot worse state not long ago. Sleeping's a lot better than a number of other alternatives.
>Keep our voice down, so as not to disturb Chisato, hopefully, "I had to promise Aya I wasn't going to shank her flunkies the first chance I got, but yeah. And to be honest, I'm pretty surprised myself. But I guess she figures I'm no threat, one way or the other."
>Glance down at our leg, then offer a small grin to Miyuki. "She may not be wrong on that one, either. I bet I look like hell."

>While you can't really see any of the redhead's injuries from here, you don't think Miyuki looks quite agitated enough to suggest Chisato's in any immediate danger.
>Miyuki smiles weakly and lets out a thin sigh that is nearly a laugh. You almost think you can see some of her tension leave with it. "A little, maybe."

« Reply #603 on: June 29, 2012, 07:28:33 AM »
>Atta girl.
>Is there any more of that cloth lying about?
>"It's good to see you, too, Miyuki." Point with our tail towards her ankle. "Feeling any better?"

« Reply #604 on: June 29, 2012, 07:38:28 AM »
>Atta girl.
>Is there any more of that cloth lying about?
>"It's good to see you, too, Miyuki." Point with our tail towards her ankle. "Feeling any better?"

>You think she's doing pretty well, considering.
>Not that you can notice at a glance.
>"A bit," she says. "It'll be okay. I got off easy compared to the two of you, so don't worry about me."

« Reply #605 on: June 29, 2012, 07:46:33 AM »
>"And I'll heal soon enough- ups and downs of being a youkai- so that leaves Chisato here. Has she been out since you two came down here?"

« Reply #606 on: June 29, 2012, 08:02:57 AM »
>"And I'll heal soon enough- ups and downs of being a youkai- so that leaves Chisato here. Has she been out since you two came down here?"

>Miyuki shakes her head. "Not the whole time, but she was exhausted. Barely had energy to swear at the parrot when she told her not to get up for the rest of the day. She... probably pushed herself too hard," she says with a worried frown. "Not that I'm going to try and convince her of this - she'd never let it go."

« Reply #607 on: June 29, 2012, 08:20:22 AM »
>"Probably smart, too. She's gonna be fuming all the way to Val Razua, I'd bet. But the important thing is that she'll heal, so what we'll have to do is try to keep her from getting TOO angry, until she's well on the road to recovery. That, I think, we can manage."

« Reply #608 on: June 29, 2012, 08:48:31 AM »
>"Probably smart, too. She's gonna be fuming all the way to Val Razua, I'd bet. But the important thing is that she'll heal, so what we'll have to do is try to keep her from getting TOO angry, until she's well on the road to recovery. That, I think, we can manage."

>"I don't know about that," Miyuki says with a wry frown. "But she won't let it make things worse, at least. She's smarter than she lets on sometimes." Miyuki chuckles softly under her breath.

« Reply #609 on: June 29, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »
>Give another small grin. "Good to know."
>We haven't actually sat down since we got our leg run through, did we? Unless you count falling down during that pointless fight on deck. How rickety do our legs feel?

« Reply #610 on: June 29, 2012, 09:09:01 AM »
>Give another small grin. "Good to know."
>We haven't actually sat down since we got our leg run through, did we? Unless you count falling down during that pointless fight on deck. How rickety do our legs feel?

>"Hatoko said the bandages are enchanted to help wounds heal faster. I don't know if it does anything for the pain, though. Chisato wouldn't say." Miyuki's expression becomes distant for a moment, then she looks back up at you. "Maybe you should see if they can do something for you, too? I mean, I don't know how much you need it, being a youkai and all. But maybe it wouldn't hurt." She gives you an encouraging look.
>You've been pointedly not thinking about it - there simply hasn't been time to favor it, so you haven't. You're not sure how much longer you can keep that up, though; if you sit down, you're not sure you'll be able to get yourself to stand back up again for a while.

« Reply #611 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »
>Mutter, 'wonder where they stole those from' under our breath.
>"Not a bad idea, really. Once I'm done, anyway. I told Neu and the captain I'd check on the rest of the crew for them, make sure these pirates are actually doing what they said, and looking after the wounded." Look between Chisato's bandages and Miyuki's elevated leg. "I'm off to a pretty good start."

« Reply #612 on: June 29, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
>Mutter, 'wonder where they stole those from' under our breath.
>"Not a bad idea, really. Once I'm done, anyway. I told Neu and the captain I'd check on the rest of the crew for them, make sure these pirates are actually doing what they said, and looking after the wounded." Look between Chisato's bandages and Miyuki's elevated leg. "I'm off to a pretty good start."

>"Hatoko was surprisingly helpful, just... cold." Miyuki frowns and shakes her head, then sighs. "I never thought I'd be sitting here like this. You know, just waiting patiently while pirates rummage through all our stuff. She said the others were fine and would be taken care of, but we're still not supposed to leave this room. So I get to listen to them rooting through everyone else's." Her expression is an odd mixture of frustration and weary resignation.

« Reply #613 on: June 29, 2012, 11:23:29 PM »
>This might be the first time she's been present for this kind of defeat. Or at least, one this total.
>Come to think of it, WE'VE never been beat that badly either.
>"I know. I hate it, too. I'm not gonna say it doesn't suck, it does. But we have to endure, at least for now. And it could be worse." Shake our head and chuckle briefly, wryly. "Boy, that sounds like a bad cliche. But it's true."

« Reply #614 on: June 30, 2012, 12:21:32 AM »
>This might be the first time she's been present for this kind of defeat. Or at least, one this total.
>Come to think of it, WE'VE never been beat that badly either.
>"I know. I hate it, too. I'm not gonna say it doesn't suck, it does. But we have to endure, at least for now. And it could be worse." Shake our head and chuckle briefly, wryly. "Boy, that sounds like a bad cliche. But it's true."

>It's possible. Frankly, given the crew's handling of this raid, you don't think your average pirates would have even had a chance. Though you can never quite know what sort of scrapes some people have managed to pull through in their past....
>Perhaps not, though you've managed to come out of this fight in better shape than the last one you technically won. Small consolation.
>Miyuki nods. "Yes. We're all alive, and it doesn't look like they plan to do anything else to us. At least, I don't think so. But still...." She sighs. "I don't know what shape the Maiden's going to be in when they give her back to us again. If they give her back. This ship is like a home to me now. To most of us, I think."

« Reply #615 on: June 30, 2012, 12:56:43 AM »
>"If Aya is to be believed, they won't take this ship. If she wanted it, we would have heard her say it by now, and we haven't. And believe me, that woman likes to hear herself talk. She gave us all an earful and then some, the self righteous...."
>Take a breath. Getting angry at Aya again is pointless.
>"If they were going to take the Maiden, Aya would have said so by now, I'm sure. So that, at least, you should try not to worry about."

« Reply #616 on: June 30, 2012, 01:05:16 AM »
>"If Aya is to be believed, they won't take this ship. If she wanted it, we would have heard her say it by now, and we haven't. And believe me, that woman likes to hear herself talk. She gave us all an earful and then some, the self righteous...."
>Take a breath. Getting angry at Aya again is pointless.
>"If they were going to take the Maiden, Aya would have said so by now, I'm sure. So that, at least, you should try not to worry about."

>Miyuki frowns, still looking a bit unsatisfied. "Well, we'll see. And there's nothing stopping them from taking everything in the hold and then some. It'll take a lot of overtime to make up for that."
>She sighs again. "You're right, though. What can we do? Just sit and wait and hope things work out somehow. That's all there is, isn't there?" It looks like she's almost hoping you could disagree.

« Reply #617 on: June 30, 2012, 01:35:28 AM »
>Sure wish I could, sister.
>"I wish I had an idea for some miracle to pull, here, Miyuki. I really do. But we did all we could and then some."
>"I half thought about trying to find this thing, this relic, myself, and trying to hide it from them, but even if I was able to detect the damn thing, that'd only make things worse in the end."

« Reply #618 on: June 30, 2012, 01:50:49 AM »
>Sure wish I could, sister.
>"I wish I had an idea for some miracle to pull, here, Miyuki. I really do. But we did all we could and then some."
>"I half thought about trying to find this thing, this relic, myself, and trying to hide it from them, but even if I was able to detect the damn thing, that'd only make things worse in the end."

>"I don't think they're going to leave without it," she says. "Whether that takes an hour or the whole day. Not after all the effort they put into this. And I still don't even know what they're looking for," she adds with a sad shake of her head.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:07:36 AM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #619 on: June 30, 2012, 02:04:31 AM »
>"That makes two of us. I tried to get an answer out of Aya on that, but she was long on talk, and short on answers. All I got was that it was old, and possibly valuable."
>Take another breath, then pass our hand over our eyes. "You know, she actually tried to recruit me into helping her find this thing, whatever it is."

« Reply #620 on: June 30, 2012, 02:11:40 AM »
>"That makes two of us. I tried to get an answer out of Aya on that, but she was long on talk, and short on answers. All I got was that it was old, and possibly valuable."
>Take another breath, then pass our hand over our eyes. "You know, she actually tried to recruit me into helping her find this thing, whatever it is."

>"It'd have to be valuable for them to go to some much trouble over it, wouldn't it?"
>Miyuki's frown takes on an edge of concern for an instant, though she quickly masks it. "She... did?"

« Reply #621 on: June 30, 2012, 02:31:35 AM »
>Give her a reassuring grin. "Sneak thief of a crow should have known better. I'm on the good guy's side, no matter what she tries to bribe me with. I may not know how to stop her getting what she wants, but I'd sooner eat my tail than help her."

« Reply #622 on: June 30, 2012, 02:44:12 AM »
>Give her a reassuring grin. "Sneak thief of a crow should have known better. I'm on the good guy's side, no matter what she tries to bribe me with. I may not know how to stop her getting what she wants, but I'd sooner eat my tail than help her."

>Miyuki regards you in silence for a moment, then nods. A faint smile crosses her tired face. "Thanks, Nazrin. I'm sorry you had to be here for this, of all the times you could have hitched a ride, but... thanks."

« Reply #623 on: June 30, 2012, 04:18:21 AM »
>Return her smile. "And speaking of thanks, girl, I've owed you one for a while."
>Cross the room, and speak as we go, "You took on an armed pirate squad with a bum wheel, and that takes a whole heap of guts. You had my back, and Chisato's too. They may well have beaten us, too, if you hadn't got involved."

« Reply #624 on: June 30, 2012, 05:16:54 AM »
>Return her smile. "And speaking of thanks, girl, I've owed you one for a while."
>Cross the room, and speak as we go, "You took on an armed pirate squad with a bum wheel, and that takes a whole heap of guts. You had my back, and Chisato's too. They may well have beaten us, too, if you hadn't got involved."

>"They still did," she says glumly. "And don't give me too much credit; I just reacted. I may have been here a couple of years, but in the end I'm still just the farm girl with the knife. The only reason I'm still in one piece right now is because Ren didn't want to cut me up. The more I think back on what happened, the more I'm sure that's what it was."
>She lets out a deep breath and makes an effort to smile. "But I suppose I should be gracious." She inclines her head towards you. "Thanks. And I suppose I'd probably do it all over again, if I had to. Even if I know I'm out of my league, I'm not going to just stand around and watch friends get hurt."

« Reply #625 on: June 30, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »
>Clap her on the shoulder all friendly like. "And that's a mighty fine quality to have in a friend. And I know the captain'd be proud of the effort, too."
>If she didn't mind us touching her like that, lay our hand on her shoulder again, lightly. "And once your ankle heals up, I'd be happy to compare notes on knife fighting with ya. That's my specialty, too."

« Reply #626 on: June 30, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »
>Clap her on the shoulder all friendly like. "And that's a mighty fine quality to have in a friend. And I know the captain'd be proud of the effort, too."
>If she didn't mind us touching her like that, lay our hand on her shoulder again, lightly. "And once your ankle heals up, I'd be happy to compare notes on knife fighting with ya. That's my specialty, too."

>You give Miyuki a friendly clap on the shoulder and tell her Murasa would be proud of her effort. She reacts with an annoyed grimace. "I don't need coddling, you know."
>You decide this is enough of a negative reaction not to repeat the gesture immediately. But you do still offer to swap notes on knife fighting.
>"Now that," she says with her expression easing a little, "I might just take you up on. Can always use a few new tricks." She spares a quick glance at the redhead whose room you're sharing. As if in response, Chisato lets out a muted snore, muffled by the pillow her face is currently mashed into. You have to wonder if she can ever breathe right like that.
>"I've even been bugging Chisato to teach me some magic, if you can believe that," Miyuki continues quietly. "She won't hear tell of it, though. Says she'd be a terrible teacher. And she hates to use it much - doesn't even like to let on that she has magic. Even I haven't seen her let loose like that, before." She frowns. "Actually, it... might be best if you pretend you never saw her do any of that, back on deck. I think she'd probably prefer to pretend it never happened."

« Reply #627 on: June 30, 2012, 07:18:22 PM »
>Have we eve known any mages you didn't seem fond of the fact that they were mages? Or at least, not of the fact that other people knew they were magically inclined?

« Reply #628 on: June 30, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
>Have we eve known any mages you didn't seem fond of the fact that they were mages? Or at least, not of the fact that other people knew they were magically inclined?

>Most magicians you've interacted with (which is, admittedly, not a large number) seemed quite at ease with their magic. If anything, the stereotype is that magicians tend to be excessively fond of their magic and somewhat dismissive of those who don't share their aptitudes and inclinations. Marisa was never uppity towards others - in fact, she tended to act as though everyone, be they governor or pauper, were on the same level - but if anyone could be accused of magical excess.... Though you suppose that if you'd met someone with magical ability who refrained from either talking about it or exercising it, you'd probably never know.

« Reply #629 on: July 01, 2012, 01:22:29 AM »
>Note to self: Girl can't take a compliment after pirate attacks.
>"Any idea why that is? I think this might be the first time I've met a mage that didn't seem to like magic."