Author Topic: Sonic CD returning in hi-def  (Read 3241 times)

Sonic CD returning in hi-def
« on: November 25, 2011, 05:39:09 PM »
One of the (potentially lesser-known) gems of the classic franchise is coming back at the end of the year, this time coming to XBLA, PSN, and pretty much everything but Wii and 3DS.

What's known so far:

-Rather than being a straight-up port, the game has been rebuilt using the "Retro Engine" developed by programmer and fan Christian "Taxman" Whitehead and licensed for use by Sega.
-The game now has support for 16:9 widescreen.
-This will be the first release of the game in North America to have the original soundtrack from the Mega-CD version. Players may choose between the original soundtrack or the US version. Due to rights issues, however, the original vocal themes ("You Can Do Anything" and "Cosmic Eternity") are instrumental-only.
-Tails is available as a playable character after clearing the game for the first time.
-The game has apparently been retconned to take place between Episodes I and II of Sonic 4. Uh, why?

As a long-time fan of the series, and with CD probably being my favorite out of them, I'm really looking forward to this.

Re: Sonic CD returning in hi-def
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 06:45:52 PM »
Fuck yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 06:59:01 PM »
-The game has apparently been retconned to take place between Episodes I and II of Sonic 4. Uh, why?
I'd like to know myself. Unless they redo the intro somehow, I find it hard to believe that Sonic suddenly undergoes a sudden shrink-then-growth process, or they somehow do some convoluted plot with Classic Sonic...

Oh wait... :V

Still, it's Sonic CD. You know Sega's good for it. Now they just have to not...Mess it up. >_>

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:14:44 PM »
I always found the American soundtrack to be so...trippy and not much like what I'm used to from the Sega games.

K

• 五月雨を あつめて早し
  • 最上川
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
My money, take it.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »
I'd like to know myself. Unless they redo the intro somehow, I find it hard to believe that Sonic suddenly undergoes a sudden shrink-then-growth process, or they somehow do some convoluted plot with Classic Sonic...

Oh wait... :V

Still, it's Sonic CD. You know Sega's good for it. Now they just have to not...Mess it up. >_>

Seeing as in the All 7 Emeralds ending of Sonic 4 Pt 1, it shows Metal Sonic, who had not been introduced at the time in the main storyline [Remember, Sonic 4 follows after Sonic 3 and Knuckles], putting Sonic CD inbetween Ep 1 and Ep 2 makes perfect sense if they wanted to keep Sonic CD 'Canon'.

I just thought. By going back and re-writing the Sonic Timeline, effectivly... everyone except Sonic, Eggman, Tails, and Knuckles aren't real characters anymore, as far as Sonic 4 is concerned.

Also, does 'all consoles' include the normal DS?

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:38:59 PM »
I just thought. By going back and re-writing the Sonic Timeline, effectivly... everyone except Sonic, Eggman, Tails, and Knuckles aren't real characters anymore, as far as Sonic 4 is concerned.

Also, does 'all consoles' include the normal DS?
Maybe they're bridging the gaps between the "classic" series and the Sonic Adventure games somehow.

I looked at a recent trailer and Wikipedia, so far it's only for iOS, Xbox, PS3 (maybe PSP/Vita?), Windows, Windows Phone 7 and Android. No world about the DS yet, though I wouldn't be surprised if they tried porting it there.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
I personally could care less when it takes place. What I care about is the fact, that its not a straight up port, and is being given an upgrade, and is FINALLY being given what in my opinion, is the superior soundtrack. I had this for PC awhile back actually, though it was a porting disaster that absolutely refused to fullscreen, and wouldn't even install on newer OS's. I had a first exposure to the game on its original format at a former friends place before that (the whole bad-future concept was nightmare fuel for me back then; afterall, these are what the typical sonic levels would look like if robuttnik actually managed to win).

Anyway, excited for this. Sega apparently misses the money and success it enjoyed in the ninties and wants it the FUCK back.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »
So to commemorate the rerelease, a remastered album has been released... in Japan. It mainly features tracks from the original JP/EU soundtrack, although there's a few remixes based on the US version (including that awesome Crush 40 cover of Sonic Boom from a while back).

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 04:13:54 AM »
I know what my next import purchase is...

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 03:05:35 AM »
I actually have a sega CD, but could never ge tmy hands on this game despite wanting to..doh

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 06:39:06 AM »
I actually found the PC version of it on sale in a used bookstore of all places as a kid.

It was kind of weird, but awesome.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 07:38:17 AM »
Glad to see this game make a comeback. Only real complaints were the tedious nature of finding the machines in the Past and the Metal Sonic race in Stardust Speedway.

As for chronology, I really don't give much of a concern :V
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »
Spoiler:
Savior of the Planet: Destroy all the robot teleporters and Metal Sonic holograms in the past.

Was that part of the main game in the original, or is this a new thing they're adding?

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 08:24:01 PM »
Spoiler:
Was that part of the main game in the original, or is this a new thing they're adding?
Spoiler:
It was part of the original game to an extent, although it was entirely optional. Destroying the transporters was needed to unlock the Good Future for the act (and thus the good ending for the game), and that could be skipped by getting all the Time Stones. Until now the hologram projectors were simply a bonus.