Author Topic: This was a triumph! MoTK raises over $1800 for charity in 2009!  (Read 18318 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
This was a triumph! MoTK raises over $1800 for charity in 2009!
« on: December 21, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »
Holidays are about giving, and the spirit of family and togetherness, and coming home to the people you know and love.

I didn't think you guys had big enough hearts (and deep enough pockets) to reach out and help people in need this Holiday season.  When the dust settled and the totals were tallied, $1868.74 was found in the coffers of Reimu's donation box.  That's almost 2 grand, from a community with only 1700 members, of which probably only 400-500 or so are actually active.  I am impressed, nay speechless.  You guys are amazing.

In the next few days we will be holding a poll for the winning entries for the Touhou Song contest.  We the judges are going through each entry and nominating what we think are the best 2 entries for each category: Best Lyrics, Best Singing, and Best Overall.  Once we have done so we will open the polls to you guys, to decide who wins a spot on the Idiot Hierarchy, and where our donations go to.

So stay tuned folks!  The box may be closed and the entries are in but the fun isn't over yet!

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
Re: This was a triumph! MoTK raises over $1800 for charity in 2009!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 02:04:10 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, and gentlemen who wish to be the little girl,

We did more today than normal, and we did more yesterday than the day before.  Ever since this contest came up, I've been floored by the momentum it had picked up.  We came together regardless of religion, race, or even location on the globe.  People from five continents (and please correct me if that should be six, I don't know if there are any Aussies on MotK and I'm damn sure we don't have anyone connecting from Antarctica) gave a little, a lot, a great deal.  Everyone who gave did so during a season where most of us are thinking of buying gifts for people, of taking vacations, or just making ends meet. 

Ask yourself what has been accomplished by doing so - and it has yet to be seen, but it is going to be good.  We've raised over $1800 for charitable causes that need the money.  We were able to ask ourselves, "how much can I help?" and do so accordingly.  There's so many reasons to help, and not just because it's the holiday season - not because we're celebrating the birth of Christ, the miracle that happened on the liberation of the Temple of Solomon, the virtues of our neighbors and community that come together at Kwanzaa, or even the end of 2009.  We were able to ask ourselves, "how much can I help?" and actually do something about it.

I started this contest with $80 and a challenge, thinking that we'd do okay if we hit the $300 mark.  I figured that if I put my money where my mouth was, we could do some good, and it ended up snowballing into something great. 

I decided to put my dignity up on the line because accepting charity involves asking for help - admitting that you need a hand or two to bring you back.  It's never easy to accept the help of others.  We have our pride, we have our desire to make sure we can fend for our loved ones and ourselves.  When it comes down to it, I have the luxury of dignity to sacrifice and come home to food on the table, as do we all.  I sacrifice my dignity with pride - whatever I end up doing in public as a result of the money challenge goals I set is for a good cause.  Dignity can be restored.  The economy will come back, and hopefully charitable giving.  But we all came together and gave during tough times to people who feel it most.

We did more today than normal, and now that the charity drive is over, the question only remains as to what we're going to do tomorrow.  Poverty and hunger don't disappear with the holidays.  The thousands of dollars we raised are going to go to those who need it, but the need will be there for a long, long time.  I graciously thank everyone who gave from the bottom of my heart, and the people who need your help will be thanking you exponentially more. 

Keep doing more the next day, and before you realize it, there might just no longer be a need for charitable giving.  The more we all give, the more we all benefit. 

Everyone, thank you so much, and give yourselves a big round of applause.  I wish you all a merry Christmas, happy Chanukah, good Kwanzaa, and a happy and healthy new year to you and your loved ones.  MotK did something more than any other forum I know this holiday season, and if we did this good in 2009, I can't wait for next year! 

Yours,

MJP

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 02:15:16 PM »
I'll reiterate what TSO and MJP have said. I never thought that we would've had the turnout for this than we have. nearly $2000 is an incredible amount compared to the userbase here. My sincerest thanks to all who helped reach this amount.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 02:23:41 PM »
To Moerin, you have become my favorite person after MJP and well Hele, on this forum.

(not that I didn't like you before.)

Good job on everyone for making this amazing amount possible for the less fortunate.  (sorry I couldn't donate, I am tight near this year cause I have a small time job and etc etc excuses + local currencies is small, no point just giving 5 dollars imo)
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 06:05:12 PM »
SUCCESS!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:02:47 PM by Kinoko Nasuma »

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:22:14 PM »
Goshdarnit, the wait is killing me. When's them results getting posted?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 03:40:35 PM »
Goshdarnit, the wait is killing me. When's them results getting posted?

Holidays make for busy staff.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »
That Reimu picture. FRIKKEN saved! ( awesome )

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 07:01:47 PM »
That Reimu picture. FRIKKEN saved! ( awesome )
You might want to try looking for it somewhere else because imageshack fucked up the bottom of the image...

Or resave it because I fixed it :V

HolmCross

• Sad Robot
  • Is not a gun
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 01:31:29 AM »
People from five continents (and please correct me if that should be six, I don't know if there are any Aussies on MotK and I'm damn sure we don't have anyone connecting from Antarctica) gave a little, a lot, a great deal. 

*raises hand*

I'm an aussie and I donated a little.
Not only am I stuck in Australia, I'm living beyond the black stump (far north Oz).
My mouth is not so much a communications tool as an exhaust port for my brain.

Twitter | Steam | Seek your own Wonderland

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:03:14 AM »
Have I missed the result posting, or is someone being lazy? :V

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 03:45:33 PM »
Our judges are being lazy :<

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »
Can't you...you know... whip them to work with your mighty administrator whip?  :V

Matsuri

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »
We're working on it. >_>

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
I was certain I'd have missed it all by being away for the past week and a half apparently not  :V

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
My bet is that this was all one big scam and they donated it to their own charity if you know what I mean. :O

Or maybe they're just lazy busy.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »
I was certain I'd have missed it all by being away for the past week and a half apparently not  :V
Oh everyone was just waiting for you to return and now they're going to post the results really soon, right? Ri~ght?  :V

But honestly, is it that the judges are that busy or is it that hard to judge the entries in the first place?

Matsuri

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »
Judges are preparing, please wait warmly and have a tea :V

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »
Our judges are being lazy :<

Says the person who didn't vote for anything.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 12:51:09 AM »
Says the person who didn't vote for anything.

Honestly I haven't had the time to properly judge the songs so I abstained from it :|  But whatever decision will be made by the end of the weekend.