Author Topic: Umineko Mafia - Day 4  (Read 67796 times)

Re: Umineko Mafia - Day 4
« Reply #540 on: July 31, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
I still maintain that going after Dorian D1 was not a scummy move.  I was playing exactly as I would have as a Townie there. :P
And I still think trying to avoid an informational lynch is scummy, whether or not scum themselves thought so.

Also, is it normal to suffer crippling pangs of guilt for putting forward cases that are technically valid, but which you know to be completely false?  >_>
Yes, but just remind yourself that this is all fun and games and you're playing to win~.

Let's see ... yeah, I really meant everything I said in my defense. I was pretty much up against a wall at the end of Day 1 because I needed to throw my vote somewhere, but I have a feeling that if I had voted for the three being bandwagoned, it would have ended badly for the town and myself. I almost went with the Dorian Lynch instead, but Serp's attack on him still felt scummy to me, even then, and I decided to go after Donut instead. Unfortunately, I really did need Dorian lynched in order for people to have taken my case on Serp Seriously, so I knew we had already lost the game when Carthrat voted for Sodium.

Just because an opinion is earnest doesn't mean there's any point in paying attention to it. >_>

I will not lie, half the reason I was on Sodium was because I refused to accept Pesco's roleclaim clear of him. Likewise for his suspicions of Carth. In general I just have a complete hatred for gut because it isn't endorsed by SCIENCE.

Wait, so basically what you mean to say is PESCO IS ALWAYS WRONG FOREVER AND FOREVER AND I WILL NEVER LISTEN TO HIM EVEN IF THE MOD SAYS THAT I SHOULD HAVE BEEN TRUSTING HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE. I mean, yeah, it's one thing to dismiss his clear because it was based on bullshit, but to go after Sodium partly BECAUSE of it? I think we can rule out Scumbuddies when someone flips town :V

I agree that when a townie dies, it doesn't mean they were right. But it doesn't also mean they were wrong. Sometimes, Sincere Advice is the best kind of advice you can get.

There's not much else to say other than I was right well, actually I had Affinity Pegged for Serp's Scumbuddy, but I don't know what a day two lookover would have revealed to me, since that's when Carthrat Cracked. I still had yet to rule out Carthrat or Roukanken as a Scumbuddy to Serp.

Although, all this talk of Scumpairing, I'm surprized Sodium wasn't cleared base on that. Carthrat - Wants to lynch him, Rou - Wants to lynch him, Affinity - Wants to lynch him, Serpentarius - Wanted to lynch him day one, said Sodium felt town, then wanted to lynch him end of day three onward. Basically, the only scumpairing with Dorian that made sense was him and Myself.

And Finally, I'd like to attribute our loss more to our inability to escape from day one than anything else:
BANDWAGONS ON DAY ONE
DONUT
PESCO
DORIDIUM
NUKE (defused due to cop claim)
LYNCHES FOR THE WHOLE GAME
DONUT
PESCO
DORIDIUM
NUKE (day ending modkill)

Just wanted to point that last part out.

Anyways, GG Scum.

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #541 on: July 31, 2009, 05:46:40 PM »
Quote from: Carthrat
This is just another game where scum won without needing to do anything clever or special; how I normally advocate they should play, because I so rarely find myself needing to do more.

It really wasn't much different than playing as Town.  Make good cases, and don't get lynched.  When only one player out of the group is "off-limits" (barring bussing), the most important difference in playing scum is that you decide who dies at night.

Quote from: Edible
I forgot Serp was scum at one point while reading this game, FYI.

It's funny that you put it this way.  I try to do my best to forget my alignment too, when I draw Scum.  Consciously thinking about what you can do to make it to LyLo doesn't really work.

Quote from: Pesco
It didn't have to just be mine, there was Kiro, Nietz and Donut's opinion which could have been considered.

Don't forget Nuke's, too. :V

Quote from: Nietz
Wait... you're talking from hindsight or you knew there was a jailkeeper in the setup beforehand?

It was definitely a good move in hindsight, and it was supported by foresight, but certainly not by foreknowledge, not for that kill.

Quote from: Nietz
I blocked Carthrat. :P

Yeah, Carthrat figured that he was more likely to be blocked and explicitly suggested that I send in the N2 kill.  Carthrat sent in the N1 kill, because I wanted to be clean to all scans, not just cop ones.

Also, we killed Kiro because he's scary.

Seconding this.  Carthrat and I were shaking in our curly witch boots all game at the thought of Kiro calling us out with an incredible case.  Totally justified by Kiro's recap post, of course.

We're at odds with each other over a lynch that wasn't either of us or a buddy, yeah, that argument was throwaway. Made easier by the fact that it seems we both believed our respective positions. >_>

I think Carth and I were tough to peg as a scumpair precisely because we have rather different approaches to scumhunting. :V  Honestly, early in the game I was thinking to myself, "C'mon, Carth, be more harsh about tearing apart my case.  I'm totally right, but I know you don't think so."

Quote from: Alice Margatroid
Also, if you're getting pangs of guilt, you're doing it wrong :P

I know you're supposed to turn your conscience off before playing mafia, and I rarely have problems with conscience in general, but I started seeing where Pesco was coming from on D3.  Funny that Kiro mentions my support of the Pesco lynch as a scummy point - it was there, more than any other time, that I was thinking more as scum than as town.

One thing that I'm going to bring up again, is that Carthrat never actually used his power. I'm still quite amused by this, especially since it was a very GOOD one for scum. Meh.

Oh, Carthrat and I did discuss it on every night.  Introducing WIFOMs and such is always a valid option for scum, and Carthrat even raised the idea of using it on a townie and then publicly coming out as Town Governor with a characteristic speech along the lines of "This guy is obvtown and I'm not going to let you idiots lynch him."  Ultimately, we decided exactly what you said up there - that we could get by just by playing it completely straight and letting the town tear itself apart.

Not sure about Town MVP. Nietz deserves some cred for guessing Carth N2, Zakeri deserves some cred for catching Serp as scum, even if it's for slightly questionable reasons.

And I still maintain that my vote of Dorian was totally justified.  I played D1 completely straight.  I feel that I can't emphasize this enough.  Granted, in future games, I might make a judgement call in the other direction, but...  This time, I was totally sincere.

Quote from: Zakeri
Basically, the only scumpairing with Dorian that made sense was him and Myself.

Indeed, that's why I had to go after you.  Though, I really did sincerely believe that you were going to be the LyLo lynch when I went over everything N3.  Was the fact that I pursued Zakeri so aggressively in LyLo a factor that made people pick me as their second choice for lynch?

Quote from: Zakeri
NUKE (day ending modkill)

And Nuke probably would've gotten lynched even if he hadn't gotten modkilled.  At least, that's how I foresaw it, and it's the path I was going to push for.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

« Reply #542 on: July 31, 2009, 06:25:46 PM »
And I still maintain that my vote of Dorian was totally justified.  I played D1 completely straight.  I feel that I can't emphasize this enough.  Granted, in future games, I might make a judgement call in the other direction, but...  This time, I was totally sincere.

I'm starting to worry that this is true :C

Don't forget Nuke's, too. :V
Pesco: "Town needs to go back an evaluate dead townie's opinions."
Roukanken: "Yeah, except townies aren't always right."
Carthrat: "Just because someone's sincere doesn't mean they're right."
Neitz: "By the way, I'm really disappointed that no one picked up on my suspicion of Carthrat day two."
Serpentarius: "Yeah, what Rou and Carth said!"

:V

And yes, You had more than enough town support to lynch Nuke. Even I agree lynching him was worth losing the cop (It also helped that Town really didn't have a way of knowing WHY he was roleblocked until well after he was lynch/modkilled, either.)

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #543 on: August 01, 2009, 03:36:09 AM »
Wow Kiro.  I think I should try your method for once; it seems far more successful.

Actually, interestingly, if I had gotted lynched or killed, would my flip be that of a Vanilla Townie, or a Doc?  If it was latter, I think it would have messed up quite a lot of people.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #544 on: August 01, 2009, 03:37:45 AM »
Wow Kiro.  I think I should try your method for once; it seems far more successful.

Actually, interestingly, if I had gotted lynched or killed, would my flip be that of a Vanilla Townie, or a Doc?  If it was latter, I think it would have messed up quite a lot of people.
Vanilla. Which makes me wonder:
What did Donut get?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #545 on: August 01, 2009, 03:39:05 AM »
Choco-cuppacino, with swirls of caramel and sprinkled with hazelnuts flavoured townie.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #546 on: August 01, 2009, 04:40:10 AM »
Here are the original role PMs.  I'm too lazy to see if Alice edited them once I sent them to him, but:

1 - Roukanken - Pick A VT Role

You are Genji, quintessential servant of Kinzo and the head servant on Rokkenjima.  While you are immensely badass and could easily flip out and kill everyone on the island like the badass old butler you are, Kinzo hasn't commanded you to... and thus, your hands are tied.

You are a town vigilante with zero kills remaining.  You win with the town.  Best of luck!

2 - Pesco - Pick A VT Role

You are Natsuhi Ushiromiya, wife of Krauss and mother of Jessica.  You are kind of a bitch, but at least you're somewhat well-meaning.  Unfortunately, you get headaches fairly often.  These things hurt like hell.  It does mean that you have a bottle of aspirin around, which you may use at night to ease the pain during the following day.  They don't do anything other than curing headaches, though.

You are a town aspirin addict.  You win with the town.  Best of luck!

3 - Kiro - Jessica (Tsurupettan~)

You are Jessica Ushiromiya, daughter of Krauss and Natsuhi.  When not wilting under the oppressive glare of your mother and father, you become Jessie and shred the shit out of your guitar.  At night, you may play your hit song to any other player, who will hear it.  Unfortunately, this doesn't help much in Mafia...

You are a town rock-star-in-hiding.  You win with the town.  Best of luck!

4 - Carthrat - Bern (Scum Gov)

You are Hideyoshi Ushiromiya, husband of Eva and father of George.  Your wife may be a crazy bitch, but your jovial nature tends to keep her in check.  At night, you may attempt to sell fish.  Unfortunately, your fish-on-a-stick is not very useful in Mafia.

You are a town fishmonger.  You win with the town.

Or rather... that's what you'd like town to believe.

You are actually Frederika Bernkastel! You are a town in the Rhineland-Palatinate federal state in Germany the Witch of Miracles, and as such, have the power to save someone's life! Because the act of deciding for a lynch is so heavily based on statistics and randomness (it's basically chaos-theoretic in its complexity), there is always the possibility that the person in question might not be lynched at all! Because of your power, you have the ability to force this. Every night, you may PM Alice and I with the name of one person whom you do not wish to see lynched the following day. At the beginning of that day, I will post a notification that a lynch of this person will not go through, therefore it is futile for the Town to attempt doing so. You may use this power three times before the end of this game, however, if the following day has a Lynch-or-Lose scenario (LYLO), your power will not work, even if you have charges remaining.

You are a scum governor with 3 shots.  Your scum partner is Beatrice (Serpentarius).  You may talk to each other at Night when everyone else is asleep, and at any time before the game starts.  You win when town is dead.  Best of luck!

5 - Serpentarius - Beato (Scum GF)

You are Ushiromiya Rosa, mother of Maria.  Wow, are you a bitch or what?  You treat your child like a Mack truck treats a deer at 90 miles per hour.  At night, you may bitchslap Maria because you do that every night anyway.

You are a town abusive parent.  You win with the town.

Or rather... that's what you'd like town to believe.

You are actually Beatrice, Golden Witch of Rokkenjima!  You're out to kill everyone, and you're aligned with Bernkastel, the Witch of Miracles.  You're really good at what you do, and thus no attempts to discover your true identity will come to fruition.  Hooray! <3

You are a scum godfathermotherwitch.  Your scumpartner is Bernkastel (Carthrat).  You may talk to each other at Night when everyone else is asleep, and at any time before the game starts.  You win when town is dead.  Best of luck!

6 - Nuclear Fusion - Battler (Town Cop)

You are Battler Ushiromiya, and you are pretty much the walking personification of awesome.  Women fall at your feet, and it is with righteous rage and anger at the murder of your friends and family that you turn the chessboard over to discover the true nature of any other player, once per night.

You are a town cop.  You win with the town.  Best of luck!

7 - Zakeri - Pick A VT Role, i.e. Sayo-chan

You are Kanon.  You are a wimp; you can't even pick up a bag of fertilizer.  Wimp.  At night, you are a wimp and can't do anything.  Wimpy mcwimperson.

You are a town wimp.  You win with the town.  Best of luck!

8 - Nietz - Kanon (Town Jailer)

You are Shannon.  As #2 among the servants on Rokkenjima, you find it is your duty to protect your friends and loved ones by any means at your disposal.  At night, you may target one player to smother him or her with your ample bosom, which manages to both protect them from harm and prevent them from doing anything else... not that they'd want to.

You are a town jailer.  You win with the town.  Best of luck!

9 - Affinity - Pick A VT Role, i.e. Nanjo

You are Dr. Nanjo!  Unfortunately, you are an awful doctor.  Seriously.  You suck.  You're bad at what you do and it shows.  However, you do happen to play a mean game of chess!  At night, you may play chess.  Too bad chess doesn't help you much in Mafia...

You are a town doctor with zero charges.  You win with the town.  Best of luck!

10 - Donut - Pick A VT Role, i.e. Gohda

You are Gohda.  As the ranking chef on Rokkenjima, it is your duty to feed the other residents.  You're a fantastic cuisine artist with a fairly poor personality.  However, your honed senses allow you to detect any other food being used.  You may use this ability at night, but it won't do you much good in mafia...

You are a town chef.  You win with the town.  Best of luck!

11 - Dorian - Pick A VT Role, i.e. George

You are Rudolf Ushiromiya.  You're a pretty cool guy, and you're the father of Battler and the husband of Kyrie.  You have the power to be cool.  At night, you may be cool.  Unfortunately, being cool does not necessarily help you in Mafia.

You are a town cool guy.  You win with the town.  Best of luck!