Author Topic: Your Account got suppended/banned due the copyright from team shanghai alice?  (Read 15456 times)

UTW

Unfortunately, YouTube is all most people know. It's where they're most likely to look, so uploaders go there because it's where they get the most views, comments, and recognition, which brings in more viewers to YT, and so on. It's why no one is willing to go outside the box and upload to Vimeo, Veoh, Dailymotion, etc. instead.

As for Vimeo, the impression I always got is they were more geared toward personal, homemade content.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Unfortunately, YouTube is all most people know. It's where they're most likely to look, so uploaders go there because it's where they get the most views, comments, and recognition, which brings in more viewers to YT, and so on. It's why no one is willing to go outside the box and upload to Vimeo, Veoh, Dailymotion, etc. instead.

As for Vimeo, the impression I always got is they were more geared toward personal, homemade content.

My wondering why more people don't go to Vimeo was more rhetorical than anything. YouTube is like that shitty neighborhood bar that everyone goes to and complains about, but they go there anyway ... because everyone goes there.

Vimeo has the same guidelines for content as YouTube. But people who care about video quality of what they want to present will typically use it over YouTube. Hence why most of the content on Vimeo is more the student film variety, rather than hundreds of thousands of booty-shaking vids.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
I still don't understand why more people don't use Vimeo.
This is enough of a reason for me.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Tengukami

Well god damn.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows

Pretty much the reason I'm bailing out of there.
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

petalferrous

• trust me
  • come back later.
Well, a bunch of accounts and videos with stuff from Unknown Flower, Mesmerizing Journey have been nuked.

Drake

Personally I'd rather the people who blatantly post download links in videos and post "this is how to download touhou" videos be shut down, if anything. Not enough people realize that Touhou is not a free-to-play game and that you are indeed pirating the game if you choose to download it. There are even people that defend their uploads by claiming that Touhou "doesn't have copyrights", so uploading it isn't piracy. Despite MotK's efforts, the vast, vast majority of Touhou players in the west have no clue, and that's pretty disappointing, I think. I know when I started playing that I had absolutely no clue.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
Personally I'd rather the people who blatantly post download links in videos and post "this is how to download touhou" videos be shut down, if anything. Not enough people realize that Touhou is not a free-to-play game and that you are indeed pirating the game if you choose to download it. There are even people that defend their uploads by claiming that Touhou "doesn't have copyrights", so uploading it isn't piracy. Despite MotK's efforts, the vast, vast majority of Touhou players in the west have no clue, and that's pretty disappointing, I think. I know when I started playing that I had absolutely no clue.
Maybe ZUN/TSA just don't know about those vids? I mean, if those who uploaded the music albums didn't know about ZUN's tweet, what's to say they don't know the existence of some of these vidoes?

Drake

Of course; I'm not saying that the flaggers should somehow know all of Youtube's contents and know what to target. I'm saying that a major source of this attitude in the fandom is ignorance, and the ignorance begetting more ignorance. Until people come here and get educated or probated, or they happen upon other people that know, we'll be forever stuck in a cycle of pirating and telling people it isn't piracy and then those people not knowing it's piracy. Or that they don't know of outlets where they can buy the games. And so on. People just know it's a japanese PC game that isn't on Steam, so that totally gives everyone permission to pirate away and tell all their friends.

AnonymousPondScum

I have an idea! (Not sure if this is the place for it but whatevah.)

If Youtube takes down something from an account, in the error message they post a link to where the item in question can be *legally* bought/watched/listened to, preferably the most official outlet in question.

Seems more productive than a simple endless cycle of slaps on the wrist that don't enlighten anyone!

Drake

That seems like it might be difficult to pull off considering Google is most definitely not invested in Touhou nor do they likely care about it whatsoever if anyone even knew what it was; plus it would require modifying the whole reporting and takedown and error system. The thought for Youtube and copyrights in general would be a good idea, however, and many self-publishing game and music artists make use of similar tactics already to a very successful degree.

Something that could work quite well if done properly would be a video purposely labeled as "How to Download Touhou", where the video's contents would be explaining the series, explaining derivative works, how Touhou is indeed not free and so on, while also providing links to the demos and legitimate outlets to buy the games. This video would then be bombed for viewcount and favorites to manipulate common video suggestions. Unfortunately though I have to admit that the outlets that do sell the games are sold out quite often and don't carry much in terms of stock, and without a steady supply it's quite difficult to tell people to purchase a game that they aren't really invested in yet when the place you tell them to go is out of stock. Now, it's something ZUN doesn't seem to want to do, but putting up a donation site would almost definitely motivate people to purchase the game, or rather download the game through means we already have and then simply donate if they feel as if it's worth it. That would be something that could easily, easily work its way into the entirety of the western fandom; something that could be posted everywhere on the net, even on places that are as pro-pirating as you can get; something that you can even plop in the game itself in english patches and whatnot. It's an idea that I really think could work, but it doesn't really seem to be something that ZUN intends on considering, judging by things he's said in the past. I wonder if it's worth calling him up again.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:45:13 AM by Drake »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
I have an idea! (Not sure if this is the place for it but whatevah.)

If Youtube takes down something from an account, in the error message they post a link to where the item in question can be *legally* bought/watched/listened to, preferably the most official outlet in question.

Seems more productive than a simple endless cycle of slaps on the wrist that don't enlighten anyone!
I somehow doubt Youtube really cares about that. Mainly, this whole poor set-up is really them trying to distance themselves from the issue as much as they can by removing suspect vidoes before they can get sued. Otherwise, they might have made a set-up that doesn't close accounts based on 3 reports within the span of a minute,

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
Well god damn.
Keep in mind that was almost four years ago, and the rule is still in effect.  Nothing new, just a longstanding reason why many people whose channels I watch don't (and can't) use it.

That would be something that could easily, easily work its way into the entirety of the western fandom; something that could be posted everywhere on the net, even on places that are as pro-pirating as you can get; something that you can even plop in the game itself in english patches and whatnot. It's an idea that I really think could work, but it doesn't really seem to be something that ZUN intends on considering, judging by things he's said in the past. I wonder if it's worth calling him up again.
I'd like to see ZUN make DRM-free releases of Touhou on Steam.  There isn't any upfront monetary expense doing that, he can price things however he wants, and Steam is a popular service that most PC gamers already use.

I can't see him getting on board with that idea, but it would provide a convenient way for foreigners to buy the games and support ZUN.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Tengukami

Keep in mind that was almost four years ago, and the rule is still in effect.  Nothing new, just a longstanding reason why many people whose channels I watch don't (and can't) use it.

A cursory search of Vimeo shows there are Touhou runs uploaded there, tagged as "touhou". So maybe they're not all the strict about it. Even if that were the case, I can see how that rule might shy some people away, in addition to the social effect of YouTube keeping people from going to Vimeo.

I do like the idea of a YouTube feature that links to ZUN-approved sources for buying his products, or a relaxation of the rules that allows people to link to sources for buying the material shown in a video legitimately, such as in the Description, somehow exempting those who upload. In my own ideal dream world, that is. Not likely to happen, though.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:07:28 AM by Tengukami »

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
  • ...is in that post up there?
    • RP Blog for Kaenbyou Rin

Wait what? Seriously?

*sudden feeling of immense guilt*

*goes and deletes entire Touhou folder*

UTW

I'd like to see ZUN make DRM-free releases of Touhou on Steam.  There isn't any upfront monetary expense doing that, he can price things however he wants, and Steam is a popular service that most PC gamers already use.

I can't see him getting on board with that idea, but it would provide a convenient way for foreigners to buy the games and support ZUN.

I think if he really considered that an option, it would've been done already. Whether it's through Steam, Amazon, or something else. He just wants to stick to mostly traditional doujin routes and isn't interested in worldwide distribution. Either because of stubbornness or, according to what someone who has communicated with him on the matter before has said, concern about copyright by releasing games outside of Japan.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
I think if he were to release the games in the US, I'd imagine he'd want to transfer the same kind of copyright that the Japanese version has. Considering the most likely guaranteed challenges to that copyright set-up, it's probably a large hassle to get that through. Plus, doesn't Steam have their own license to use their service? Sounds like it could open up a nasty can of worms.

AnonymousPondScum

If Steam didn't work he could also consider Desura. That much said...

...according to what someone who has communicated with him on the matter before has said, concern about copyright by releasing games outside of Japan.

This makes sense. Copyright law is a bizarre chimaera in the U.S. and as much as I'd love to see ZUN go digital distro, most indie designers over here don't seem to consider their games nearly as much of their brainchild as ZUN does with Touhou.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:14:30 PM by AnonymousPondScum »

Drake

Which is all more or less why I suggested a Great Hakurei donation pot rather than actually releasing the games in a different medium that could be problematic. But regardless, most people who want to buy Touhou in Japan, just buy it. Opening up a donation pot like that is basically for the benefit of people outside of Japan, which is why it's a bit odd to suggest.