Author Topic: What do YOU want to play?  (Read 41018 times)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
What do YOU want to play?
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:05:38 PM »
The games server, Henrietta, is sitting around with a lot of idle power. So why not put those resources to use by telling us what games you'd like to see a server being made for.

Key points that will get your suggestion approved are:
1) Interest level. If the server will draw a good population, then we'll have a community. We're here to play together with as many people as possible.
2) Availability of alternatives. If there are already lots of servers for the game in question available, we'd just end up competing for activity with them. But don't take this the wrong way. Sometimes you just want a place to play the popular games without the nuisance of a poor userbase. Share why you'd like a new place to play and we'll consider it.

The 2 points are the basic criteria but we can do exceptions. If it's a game that's hard to find servers for and doesn't take a lot of resources to run (e.g. NetHack/Crawl), we'll work something out for you.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: What do YOU want to play?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:07:39 PM »
As a technical note, it has to fit the following two criteria, no if ands or buts.

1) It has to have a Linux-compatible server
2) It has to be free (not the game itself but the server)

If it doesn't fit either then we can't host it.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »
Runescape, im sure its out there. For popularity it wont any get livelier (deader) then RO.  :V

draganuv15

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »
I would probably play Runescape, If I was bothered to get a Premium account and I didn't have an English Critical Evaluation to do, sorry :/

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 01:33:04 PM »
Runescape, im sure its out there. For popularity it wont any get livelier (deader) then RO.  :V

Are there even Runescape private servers? Who the heck plays that garbage? :V

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 01:39:22 PM »
Suprisingly a quick google search makes it looks like they have them

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
Are there even Runescape private servers? Who the heck plays that garbage? :V

back in my day this garbage was amazing  :3

also it can't be as bad(funny?) seeing you in a dress  :P

Molten

• Just a lil' goblin
  • A sweet potato.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 05:18:01 PM »
I don't know what others think but personally i would love to see a MotK Minecraft server. Either for survival or creating awesome stuff.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 07:22:39 PM »
now that i thought about it... how the hell do runescape private servers work :V

wooterz

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 07:58:43 PM »
I vote Minecraft. Mostly because my server is broken and yeah.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »
I believe we can't do Minecraft because of how resource intensive it gets. This main server is supposed to be shared among all our games.

draganuv15

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 09:58:24 PM »
As long as it isn't WoW or MapleStory i'm in.  :V

EDIT: Scratch it, if we stuck together and helped eachother ACTUALLY get levels i'd consider Maplestory, but I'm not assuring it. :V
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:02:01 PM by The Hungry Kaguya »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 10:23:35 PM »
I'll suggest GTA: SA with SAMP (San Andreas Multi Player) due to the Touhou mod, which (not surprisingly) very few servers if any host.

However, we're still trying to iron out the kinks in MP and get spellcards (in the form of CLEO scripts) working.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 10:28:18 PM »
Minecraft is a no because of resources.  It is a horribly resource intensive thing to host (hello 2GBs of RAM).  We'd like to but it's just not in the cards with our current resources.

No on Runescape/MapleStory/WoW.  People have gotten cease and desist letters and their sites shutdown for hosting such servers so I don't even want to get close to that hornet's nest.  Only reason I host an RO server is because Gravity doesn't give a crap and hasn't gone after anyone except people who are actively trying to make money off their server.

GTA:SA is a maybe but from what I understand it's pretty buggy server wise.  I'll have to do some research on it.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 12:18:46 AM »
What options are there for fightan games? Kaillera server?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 12:36:16 AM »
Seconding this, but wouldn't we also have to coordinate emulators as well? (haven't played online on them in a while, so....)

I would also have suggested Cube 2: Sauerbraten server but there are already many (empty) ones, especially in Europe, and the game itself, while free, is very obscure.

As for GTA: SA, well, the PC version was never originally designed with MP capability, so SAMP is entirely community-driven. Result is somewhat stable but still it is a bit shaky.
Bad command or file name

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 12:45:23 AM »
GGPO is essentially superior to everything else so there's not much of a need for an MotK kaillera server or whatever.  And mizuumi.net covers the fitan games Touhou/Doijun wise.

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 02:20:51 AM »
Unreal Tournament.   :smug:

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 02:27:51 AM »
Unreal Tournament.   :smug:
Assuming it's the 1999 one...then I say Quake III with ioquake3 source port!

...but IIRC both games still have active communities, so neither will likely fly.
Bad command or file name

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 04:29:32 AM »
Q3 maybe, but UT99 really doesn't.  Plus there's all sorts of room for us to put our own spin on things.  I have I think every single CTF and Assault map ever made, and I got some zany mutators (and custom weapons I made).

UT99 definitely piques my interest, I'll think about it.  Maybe UT2K4 if you want a more modern variant.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 04:38:43 AM »
Oh man, a good old school arena twitch FPS would be awesome. Definitely in favor of that.

Screw this modern realistic crap in competitive FPS today >:|

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 06:38:35 AM »
I'm definitely leaning towards a UT99 and a UT2k4 server, maybe even a Q3 server (these things aren't exactly that intensive :b)

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 07:06:45 AM »
It's not often I come in here and maybe I'll start doing so as we go along...

But if you guys do UT99, I''m never leaving this part... ever.  :derp: Because I love that game but never had the chance to do online multi-player. So the thought of doing it with you guys brings a smile to my face. XD

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 08:13:03 AM »
In favour of UT2K4, personally, along with one or two of the following: Q3, Wolfenstein ET, Cube 2, UT99, or a Q3-based total conversion (such as Urban Terror). We need some old-school FPS games here to show the slower modern shooters who's boss (and no, Bulletstorm doesn't count as a flashback to this era).
Bad command or file name

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »
Yeah id play UT seeing as runescape/maplestory are out of the question :V

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 10:57:19 PM »
Diablo 1 :) We could play ironman.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 11:10:49 PM »
Diablo 1 :) We could play ironman.
Umm, there's already a Bnetd server.  Just follow the instructions to add it as a gateway and make a thread to organize games.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:12:26 PM by ♪ TheStupidOne ♫ »

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 11:33:22 PM »
That's Diablo 2 though. BNetEditor 2 only shows: Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, Starcraft, and CounterStrike. I was asking for Diablo 1, unless there is a server which I am not aware of.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 11:39:29 PM »
It's the same thing.  PVPGN supports all gen 1 battle.net games, Starcraft, Warcraft 2/3 and Diablo 1/2.  You just need to figure out how to add it to the gateway list.  Just look for instructions on how to do so.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 08:39:24 PM »
I would suggest PSO Blue Burst but I don't think very many people other than myself would be interested and I am unsure what the most complete server runs on.