Author Topic: Otakuthon 2013  (Read 9680 times)

Mew seeker

• Find things
Otakuthon 2013
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »
Next weekend I am going to Otakuthon at Montr?al, Qu?bec. ^^
Maybe this year I'll be able to buy some Touhou games and O-Life Japan music. X D
Speaking of which, apparently that there will be a Hakurei Shrine Festival this year. ^^
I am not sure what exactly will happen there but there might be more updates about it until next weekend.

Apparently that there will be a band there playing among a few thing Touhou music called Yokai Project.

Anyway, since I might go on a shopping spree, does anyone have recommendations on doujins games, PS2 and PS3 imports?
And maybe also on anime to buy?
Also, is anyone else going there this year? ^^

You can wish for anything!

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
Re: Otakuthon 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:47:45 PM »
I shall be present :D

Pretty much, it's nearly non-stop Touhou programming for the entire three day con. If you haven't gotten it yet, here's the tentative schedule for the event. These very rarely change, so it's safe to assume that's what the schedule's going to be.
I finally got ahead!

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 11:37:42 PM »
Maybe we'll meet somewhere there then.  ^^
Hopefully, I'll do better than last year at Touhou. I kept dying because I wasn't bombing.
I would have done better if I panic bombed. X D

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:07:38 AM »
What is the cross-border policy on food? What comestibles are permissible and what will be confiscated?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:01:21 AM »
From the official website :

Food and Drinks

Bringing your own food and beverages is permitted, but the consumption of food or beverages is forbidden in all function rooms (e.g. video rooms, panels, contest rooms, etc.), all gaming areas, main and special events rooms and in the Exhibition Hall.  Only water bottles will be accepted in these rooms.  It is strongly suggested that the Cosplay Cafe (at the 7th floor) and the Chibi Cafe (in the Exhibition Hall) be used for your eating and drinking needs.

Attendees are also expected to take proper measures to maintain a clean environment and dispose of any food or drink (including packaging) related garbage properly when they are done.  Attendees who cause damage or are otherwise abusive of their food and drink privileges may be expelled from the convention.

Also, no alcohol. So much for Suika. X D

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:01:40 AM »
Anything organic or closely derived must be declared. No more than 20Kg ~(44lbs). Fresh vegetables are okay if declared but restrictions on food from California, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington.  Sealed products are usually okay.  Just declare and you won't have a problem. if you want specifics, take straight from the horse's mouth.

http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/brirape.shtml
I finally got ahead!

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 01:02:27 AM »
I appreciate the info, but I meant more for bringing food across the border from the United States to Canada.

Fake edit: Thanks!

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 01:26:32 AM »
I appreciate the info, but I meant more for bringing food across the border from the United States to Canada.

Also curious about this myself...

But, yeah~! I'll be there, too~! I'll be a bit stuck in the Artists' Alley for a good portion of my time, but I'll be prioritizing the photoshoots (whenever those are expected to be) as things I can slip into my schedule~ ;)

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »
I am doing some last preparations before going to the convention.
I intend to go to the Touhou panel today at the beginning.
If you're interesting in making contact today, look for a guy with a green shirt with flowers/plants. ^-^
And also a USB storage device.  :V

That being said, I wish to those coming (and those who don't too   ;) ) lot of fun.

Edit :

I went to the first day yesterday.
I wasn't able to find the place where they sold Touhou merchandise so I asked the people at the Touhou panels around
and eventually learned that it's Hen na de who would sell them.
According to the market place I got, they're more or less in the middle, next to the artist sector which is a another color on the map.
Today, I am trying one more time to buy some stuff. ^^
That being said, I got some nice stuff mean while.
A shirt with Kyuubey, some Full Metal Alchemist DVD I didn't had yet and the Princess Tutu series which I have heard good things about.

I participated at the PoFW tournament. I didn't do that well but at least I survived a little.
The final match lasted a while. It was Komachi vs Marisa.
In the end, it was decided by the Komachi player dodging a little too much to the left
and bumping in one of those laser Marisa send that comes from the bottom of the screen.
The winners got some CDs (games I suppose) and the number one got a Sakuya figurine. ^^

On a unrelated not, there was a guy in a really nice Machinedramon suit hanging around today.
Some of the cosplayer are really good. I also saw 2 Yoko from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
Anyway, I am coming back for more today and a friend is supposed to join me today. : )
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:08:10 AM by Mew seeker »

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 12:14:39 AM »
Just letting everyone know now that I won't be arriving back home until Monday night, so count on the new video to be released on Tuesday instead. Thank you for understanding~! :blush:

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 01:31:51 AM »
Otakuthon is now over. I managed to buy a few games this year.
On the Touhou side, I got EotSD, SA, PoFV and... um, the first fighting game. X D
I also got Megamari, Counterattack of the Human God Being (Touhou Meiden),
and one of the Aquastyle mysterious dungeon type game.
I am not sure which one but the title start with "Motto!?"
I then traded it for the special disk of Touhou Labyrinth. ^^
On the Japanese PS2 games side, I got R-Type final, A.C.E. 2 and one of the G Generation games.
And I am not buying more games anytime soon! X D

On the fail side, due to lack of info gathering, I missed the opportunity of getting that Touhou summon rpg game.
I also missed the game after the Touhou Meiden I got, the one with Remilia on the middle
(but at least someone else go it and knew what he got).

I also took a ton of photos of cosplayer. Hopefully, I didn't messed up taking the photo.
I went to a few Touhou panel Friday and Saturday so maybe you saw me there. : )
But I also went to watch several animes and listen to video game music there.
I get what people mean when they say that Summer War is the best Digimon Movie ever. X D
I had lot of fun there. I hope the others who went there had too. ^^

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 01:35:12 AM »
IT'S FINALLY HERE, PEEPS.

"Touhou @ Otakuthon 2013: Baby Reitaisai - Year One"

EDIT: I'm aware that I ended up forgetting to put in the super-awesome JoJo's greeting. However, I do know exactly where that will be going instead later this year...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:47:16 AM by BL2W »

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 12:59:27 AM »
Aaah why are you so much better at this than me.  I can't contain the truckloads of jelly driving past.

(Awesome vid mang!)

My vids'll be going up AFTER I actually finish the frickin' Otavids... which could be in like a week.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 03:01:27 AM »

FUCKING

FABULOUS

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 04:48:16 AM »
^ You're so fabulous that I can't help but ahegao in the photo.

I'm still getting over how excellent last weekend was.

Jeez.

Here, have some photos of mine.

Friday

PC-98
TD
Mima and Tojiko gloriousness
Kilga looks frustrated at something

Saturday

Why is Murein so adorable?
Punchin' Taoists
Jojo poses Yuugi/Parsee
IN
PC-98
The group shot
Mima420blazeit
Miko and Byakuren(s) make peace

Sunday morning brunch shot

Guys, thanks again for the lovely weekend~
Kilga, would like to see more of your photos when they're up and processed.

-Masakuni

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 12:17:23 AM »
I was there for the PoFV tournament, having to use a controller was a pain in the butt, but overall I had fun regardless. I was using Yuka, since I'm bad at dodging, firepower seemed like the way to go.

Kinda wish they had done a Hisoutensoku tournament, but I realize setting up the card decks would take forever...

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 04:30:20 AM »
Kinda wish they had done a Hisoutensoku tournament, but I realize setting up the card decks would take forever...

Actually, I do believe there was a Soku tournament on Sunday afternoon... ???

Aaah why are you so much better at this than me.  I can't contain the truckloads of jelly driving past.

(Awesome vid mang!)

My vids'll be going up AFTER I actually finish the frickin' Otavids... which could be in like a week.

Thanks~! Honestly, I just try to be as diligent with my approach in every aspect of my videos as possible. The results aren't always perfect or exactly to my personal liking, but that's bound to happen; I just feel that--no matter the circumstances--I have to make the best with the material that I'm given--and that applies to EVERYTHING, including the seemingly minute details, from the cosplayers present, the area, even the time of day to what I've shot, how I might be able to edit it together and what kind of narrative flow I might be able to get out of it. Also, SONG CHOICE IS PARAMOUNT ABOVE ALL ELSE. (But, maybe I'm just nitpicky to the max that my limitations allow :derp:. I get like that.)

Anyway, ENOUGH RAMBLING FROM ME. I look forward to seeing those videos of yours~! :D

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 04:56:15 PM »

Actually, I do believe there was a Soku tournament on Sunday afternoon... ???

Oh shoot, I must have missed that on the day planner then.

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 04:49:19 AM »
Thought I would drop in and thank everyone here who attended our first year as the Hakurei Shrine Festival. This is the director, who most people here would more likely remember as the Yumemi cosplayer. I've lurked around this site for awhile but after so many people at the convention telling me to join and stay in touch I finally caved and made an account ^^'

So, I hope everyone had fun and that some of you decide to come back next year. We're already planning stuff for next year so I'm pretty excited. Also, if anyone has feedback or suggestions for events they want to see just shout 'em out!

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 12:10:10 PM »
Thought I would drop in and thank everyone here who attended our first year as the Hakurei Shrine Festival. This is the director, who most people here would more likely remember as the Yumemi cosplayer. I've lurked around this site for awhile but after so many people at the convention telling me to join and stay in touch I finally caved and made an account ^^'

So, I hope everyone had fun and that some of you decide to come back next year. We're already planning stuff for next year so I'm pretty excited. Also, if anyone has feedback or suggestions for events they want to see just shout 'em out!

I've been looking for something to replace Otakon after it (let's be honest here) started sucking due to a combo of being really expensive, being ridiculously packed, and the higher ups basically telling anyone who wants to run only a single fan panel "No".  If the experience that I had at Otakuthon is a good indicator of what's to come, then trips to Montreal will become a yearly event for myself and a significant portion of the other members of the New England Touhou community.