Author Topic: What is TAS  (Read 3646 times)

What is TAS
« on: April 14, 2015, 07:53:09 AM »
TAS is hack or like something because in youtube TAS Record videos have 1,363,755,110 score but in here http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/High_scores highest score is 698,078,330
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nQUnfRhfkg

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
Re: What is TAS
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »
TAS stands for Tool-Assisted Speedrun, which is basically slowing down the game to a point inputs are entered frame per frame, with portions of the game being re-recorded by the use of save-states.

Generally, TAS are made either for fun or for technical prowess that would be impossible for human hands to produce. No problem here.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 08:14:37 AM »
What above post says is right, but they're also used for cheating ;)

In Touhou most cheated replays are very obvious though. Slowdown is easy to see unless the player knows what they're doing with the slowdown.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 03:28:49 PM »
TASs are very interesting to watch anyways, because they never actually modify the game. Just "abuse" it.
From frame and sub-pixel perfect inputs to RNG manipulation, they show off what technically is possible if pushed to the far extreme of skill and patience.

I suggest looking up other games being broken. Super Mario 64, F-Zero GX... Great times.

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »
TAS is hack or like something because in youtube TAS Record videos have 1,363,755,110 score but in here http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/High_scores highest score is 698,078,330
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nQUnfRhfkg
That "world record" is believed by many to be a TAS.

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 07:11:33 PM »
TASs are very interesting to watch anyways, because they never actually modify the game. Just "abuse" it.
From frame and sub-pixel perfect inputs to RNG manipulation, they show off what technically is possible if pushed to the far extreme of skill and patience.

I suggest looking up other games being broken. Super Mario 64, F-Zero GX... Great times.

Sometimes, TAS run actually push games beyond what is humanly possible.

F-Zero GX is actually a great example of this, because human hands physically cannot input the APM (actions per minute) that is required to perform top TAS runs.

Metriod Prime, on the other hand, would be a good example of a TAS run that is technically possible (skipping the one missile tank known as 'bob'), but that nobody has thusfar managed to complete due to the extreme (but not impossible) degree of precision required.

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 08:07:45 PM »
That "world record" is believed by many to be a TAS.
I'd be convinced it would be TAS through at least use of hitbox patch. Some aggressive grazes can at least be pulled off without it, although the failure rate is still high.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 10:19:23 PM »
Sometimes, TAS run actually push games beyond what is humanly possible.

F-Zero GX is actually a great example of this, because human hands physically cannot input the APM (actions per minute) that is required to perform top TAS runs.

Metriod Prime, on the other hand, would be a good example of a TAS run that is technically possible (skipping the one missile tank known as 'bob'), but that nobody has thusfar managed to complete due to the extreme (but not impossible) degree of precision required.

Actually, about that missile tank, I know offhand that biospark has done it at least, but without doing a bit of searching I'm unsure if anyone else has been able to do the same (the Bob tank is Metroid Fusion btw) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSn6yNuk--g

Just thought it'd be an interesting thing to note, since it was mentioned.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:25:53 PM by ReimiliaScarlet »

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 12:12:55 AM »
I'd be convinced it would be TAS through at least use of hitbox patch. Some aggressive grazes can at least be pulled off without it, although the failure rate is still high.
I though EoSD hitbox patch only modified the graphics, as opposed to showing the hitbox on top of the bullets like in some later games (notably SA due to suns)? I don't see any benefit of a hitbox patch of the first type except for beginners, anyway.

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 05:58:16 AM »
I though EoSD hitbox patch only modified the graphics, as opposed to showing the hitbox on top of the bullets like in some later games (notably SA due to suns)?
It's just the graphics. Otherwise I don't know for sure, might be some obscure tactic, not that I'm looking to jump to conclusions over others' replays.

Jirachi

• Wish Maker
  • yawn...
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 06:22:25 AM »
There are two hitbox patches, one that changes the graphics and thus is inaccurate since EoSD hitboxes aren't fixed (like Sakuya's PCB but much worse especially on Marisa), and there's the DLL one that does track the true hitbox but crashes the game if you minimize/restore it in fullscreen.

I've seen some replay of a first Hard mode 1cc with Marisa where the player confidently goes through a wall in mid stage 6 Sakuya's non and on that case it's almost safe to assume, but most of the time, since it's a small change, we shouldn't really jump into conclusions like Emerald said, even spells like Maze of Love can be done from the bottom without hitbox patch without much difficult.