Author Topic: Keyboard or Controller?  (Read 27280 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Keyboard or Controller?
« on: November 08, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »
Well it's been a while since I posted about Touhou.
And I want to ask the players rather interesting questions.
-
Do you use a keyboard or a controller(or an arcade stick), when you play Touhou games(yes, even the fighting games)?

If a controller. What kind?

If a keyboard. Is it a gaming keyboard?(Pretty sweet. Even if it's just a game that requires few keys.)

Which do you think is more superior? (Considering you've played using both)

Do you think people who uses a keyboard are better than those who uses a controller?

-
For me. I use a controller. To be specific, a PS3 controller.
I'll be honest, I suck at the keyboard when I play Touhou games. Any other games are fine.
For one thing, it's the analog stick. It's easier to maneuver curved trajectories, and dodge irregular projectile patterns. Keyboard arrows are hard to curvature, and I'm not used simultaneously clicking 2 arrow keys at the same time.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:36:43 PM by Hex Maniac En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
Re: Keyboard or Controller?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »
Keyboard, just a regular old laptop keyboard that I wish was more responsive...but it's worked well enough.

I think neither input method is inherently superior to the other, a controller can more easily curve while keyboard can more easily reverse direction. (i.e. left right left right).  and honestly, saying people who use one are better than people use the other is pretty silly!  It's all down to personal preference and effort put it/experience with similar games/familiarity with the input method are much more important than what's actually used to input, in my opinion.

I will say, though, that if a key on your keyboard breaks you can just remap to another spot (my left arrow is ded so I remapped arrow keys to IJKL) wihle with a controller, you have to get a new controller, so that's a small advantage in keyboard's favor :V

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »
Do you use a keyboard or a controller(or an arcade stick), when you play Touhou games(yes, even the fighting games)

If a keyboard. Is it a gaming keyboard?(Pretty sweet. Even if it's just a game that requires few keys.)

Which do you think is more superior?

Do you think people who uses a keyboard is better than those who uses a controller?

Keyboard.

No.

How would I know?

As far as I know, no.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Cheez8

• Derp Imminent
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 04:55:58 PM »
Normal old keyboard here. The concept of playing something like Touhou with a controller seems unusual to me, though there is one shmup that I played with a 360 controller. It felt less precise, but that could simply be me not used to controlling shmup movement with only one finger (or the game in question not having a focus mode.)

I don't really think anything is superior. It depends on what you're used to. To me, doing precise movements with a joystick would be weird because of having more trouble quickly returning the stick to neutral, and also because I'm not too certain on the cutoff point between cardinal or diagonal movements, but I'd imagine keeping track of which fingers to use to move in which directions would be difficult for somebody who's not used to keyboards too.

There's no way people who use one are superior to people who use another because of it.
Someday, I'll have a clue what I'm doing.

Zil

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »
I prefer controller for PoFV and GFW, keyboard for most other things.

They have their strengths and weaknesses imo. Controller better for random stuff, keyboard better for positioning.

Also, as far as I'm aware, 'gaming keyboards' are usually garbage. Most people who are super serious about getting a good keyboard use mechanical ones.

Oh

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
Well it's been a while since I posted about Touhou.
And I want to ask the players rather interesting questions.
-
Do you use a keyboard or a controller(or an arcade stick), when you play Touhou games(yes, even the fighting games)?

Do you think people who uses a keyboard are better than those who uses a controller?

Keyboard.

Corsair Vengeance K60 (red switch)

People have their own preferences.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »
Standard laptop keyboard here.

I've tried using a controller for a couple hours, the result was quite awful since I'm not used to controllers at all. I wouldn't say one is better than the other ; it's a matter of taste and preference, really.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »
Plain old keyboard.

For controllers, I find that whatever they can do, keyboard can do as well (with enough skill) while having its own advantages. But I admit I have no idea how good one can get with the controller, so I can't really say which one is superior for playing. I only know the keyboard is the best for me.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »
Laptop keyboard. Wouldn't mind trying a controller some time.

Also, ''gaming keyboards'' are for the kinds of sperglords who put flame decals on their laptops, or have their specs in their sig.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »
Keyboard

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth

Never knew people used controllers
Normal 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK
Hard 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
Lunatic 1CC's - PCB, IN, PoFV
Extra Clears - EoSD (+Ultra), PCB (+Phantasm), IN (+Ultra), PoFV, MoF, DDC
Youtube

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »
Keyboard all the way, for everything possible.

My friends are trying to get me to use figthing sticks for the figthing games, but that thing is of the devil... I just dont understand how to use that thing. First of all everything is inversed, movement to the left and commands to the right, after that is how you grab the stick, I just dont get used to the feeling. I've been told there's joysticks that instead of a stick use buttons for the movement as well... but... dunno... im way too comfortable with a keyboard.

Oh

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »
Also, ''gaming keyboards'' are for the kinds of sperglords who put flame decals on their laptops, or have their specs in their sig.

That's very insulting, don't you think?

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
Laptop keyboard. Wouldn't mind trying a controller some time.

I play WoW as well and need the anti-ghosting and the extra macroing abilities helps for heroic raiding progression. Also, my keyboard being back lit makes it easier to find the keys. There are plenty of actual reasons to use a gaming keyboard.
Normal 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK
Hard 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
Lunatic 1CC's - PCB, IN, PoFV
Extra Clears - EoSD (+Ultra), PCB (+Phantasm), IN (+Ultra), PoFV, MoF, DDC
Youtube

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 06:41:34 PM »
I have a cheapo $10 microsoft keyboard. I use that for the bullet games.

For the fighting games I use my PS3 controller because in all honesty I suck inputting directions on a keyboard in hisoutensoku. I need a d-pad for stuff like that. I've tried controller on bullet games but I'm far too used to keyboard sensitivity and controls to be able to do it properly.

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

ElDestructoe

• This one time
  • I got all the way to stage 2
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »

Yeah my flame decals are cool as HELL.

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 06:56:43 PM »
I use a keyboard, and I'm quite awful if I try to use a controller for Touhou. On the other hand, my brother plays with a controller, and can't play it with a keyboard!

We use a Raptor-Gaming LK1, and a Random Gamestop PS3 Controller respectively.
As for keyboards, I do not buy what you call "Gaming Keyboards", nor do I recommend them to anyone, because in my completely honest opinion they are pretty much worthless. That comes from being given some on quite a few occasions "because you're a gamer/because you play MMOs/because some other reason, and you could use it" and then failing to find a good use for it every time. However. If people can put them to good use, that's great for them. I won't complain about anyone else using them, absolutely not. But they aren't for me.

This particular Raptor keyboard (also I believe they are a part of Corsair now? Correct me if I'm mistaken) has less of the useless junk I don't want that standard keyboards have these days, and more of the "buttons that actually work correctly", so a good all-purpose keyboard for me. And it looks nice. :V

Considering we are about evenly skilled at all of the games despite using different control methods, I don't want to say either one of them is better. However, I do tend to win at PoFV more often than not with a keyboard, because after watching replays it seems he can't make all the precise movements he needs to be making.

As for fighters, I could definitely see why people like controllers, but I can't do inputs correctly (mostly 623's and such) because they are too sensitive for me. I NEED a keyboard or I can't play.

Also, something else controller related. Has anyone else attempted Touhou at least once with a DDR pad? That was certainly a different kind of gameplay.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:01:54 PM by SirBlueberry »

Tengukami

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »
No not really.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »
I think it more or less boils down to what you get for yourself and what you used most when playing games at first.

Personally I started playing video games on controllers of the SNES and megadrive and used directional arrows ever since so I learned to play on this
(until freaking analog sticks everywhere that is).
So of course I'm biased toward using that kinda stuff myself on certain games.

Currently I'm personaly using a default keyboard that came with my (old) PC and a
Big Ben PS2 wannabe controller for when I want more precision
(so I can quick tap my directionnal arrows with just the right amount of "umpf")

But AGAIN it boils down to what you learned to play games with, while I'm not amazing using keyboards, I tend to feel more comfortable with a controller...

If on the other hand you're starting to play video games then its a bit of a trick question at this point...

Shio Yamote

• Like a Miko
  • OMG! Clipdeaths!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »

1. I use my keyboard (laptop) but sometimes I use a controller.

2. PS3 Controller

3.Just a regular laptop keyboard.

4.Well, IMO the keyboard is more precise in general, but the controller is better for moving diagonally or circling.

5.No, I think that both of them can have the same level of skill.
1cc's:
Normal: All
Hard: PCB, IN, TD
Lunatic: IN
Extras: EoSD, PCB Extra+Phantasm, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
I use a regular keyboard, and also have a wireless backup for going out and playing with friends at things like conventions because I can't handle the key setup on laptops.

Having played with both I prefer keyboard because I feel it gives me more precise movements. I've also noted a very small time delay when using a controller so minute you would only notice it when death bombing. I also bomb slower on a controller simply because on a keyboard I can have my fingers on shoot, shift, and ready to bomb all at once but on controller I can't find the right button map to pull this off (I also have small hands which doesn't help). I also learned to play Touhou on keyboard so that may affect my opinion a lot.

While I don't think using one or the other makes you a better player, I have noticed that when I run the local Touhou tournaments the controller players almost always get wiped out in round one or two. This is mostly observation of course and doesn't mean that if you use a controller you're bad or anything. I've always wondered if maybe it was because newer players find the controller option more accessible?

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 10:34:29 PM »
Arcade stick and keyboard, depends on whether I have my stick with me or not.

Tengukami

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 10:50:14 PM »
Those of you who use an arcade stick, please elaborate: what specifically do you use, why an arcade stick, pros and cons. This seems like such a weird and awesome subset of player.

Oh

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 10:57:41 PM »
So many keyboard votes.

I use a PS2 controller using an USB adapter for everything. A Playstation controller just feels like the default setup for a controller...and it just meshes well with all the games on my laptop. I used the keyboard a few times, and I can somewhat manage, but holding too many buttons prevents other buttons from being used, so I can't play at my best.

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 11:01:25 PM »
Keyboard.  Logitech Deluxe 250, which I'm pretty sure qualifies as a normal keyboard (it's like $20, but I don't think they're made anymore which sucks because my left key started jamming a week or so ago and I need a new one and this parenthesized section is way too long).  I'm more comfortable with keyboard for stgs, but I would maybe consider a pad for games with a lot of buttons if I ever bothered to buy one.

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 11:10:20 PM »
PS3 controller, w/Xpadder to set up the d-pad as arrow keys: it's comfortable and gives me enough precision to work with (plus I can hit Esc+R faster :V)

I'm not very good with a keyboard when it comes to Touhou, and most other games I would very much prefer to play with a controller anyway, though I don't consider a way of input to better (as others already said each has its advantages), there are very good players on both sides, and really the only reason I suck with keyboard is because I just never bothered to play with one

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 11:12:51 PM »
Even if I can't play Touhou well with a controller,

...I use a PS2 controller using an USB adapter for everything. A Playstation controller just feels like the default setup for a controller...and it just meshes well with all the games on my laptop...

I agree with this completely. I use a PS3 DualShock 3 controller for absolutely everything it's compatible with. (aside from Touhou, where I need the keyboard) I can't really think of a better way to set up a controller than the way a PS controller already is.

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 11:20:49 PM »
For the actual Shmups, I use the keyboard. For the fighters, and anything else really, it's the Xbox 360 controller or go home. There's something about the placement of the left analog stick that feels so natural to me, and seeing as I always practice HM with my 360 controller, I have a hard playing with anything else.
I finally got ahead!

Ghost

• Fluke dodging is the best tactic.
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 11:41:25 PM »
Keyboard, I don't play the fighting games but if I did I'd probably want an arcade stick for them lol.

Yea I have a gaming keyboard, lol, but it's because I won it rather than actually going out to buy it for touhou. (it does make a difference though, keys feel less sticky so movement is slightly better, especially for tight gaps)

Keyboard, mainly because you can only really use your thumb with a controller, while with they keyboard you can use 3 fingers + thumb, more control I guess? I also find it easier to stream stuff using the least amount of space possible with a keyboard.

Pretty sure there's a bunch of japanese people who play using the sega saturn controller and are much, much, much better than me, so nah I don't think people who use the keyboard are superior.