Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest  (Read 54098 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest
« Reply #930 on: May 13, 2011, 03:37:49 AM »
>Keep going!

>You keep moving along the road. The has sun sank a little more during your time with Cirno, and seems to sink further with each hill the road weaves around. It turns out to be a truly brilliant sunset; the kind people paint pictures of. Vivid reds and oranges blaze through strands of wispy clouds, and the hills and trees are suffused with a golden glow. It's a pleasant backdrop for an uneventful walk. But soon enough the sunset itself ebbs, yellows giving way to dusky reds and then to black as the last vestiges of sunlight fade. Several more hours pass beneath the starry sky. The moon is but a thin sliver tonight, but there is enough light to keep to the path. Time starts to drag; you haven't seen a single person since the bridge, and there's only so much uneventful walking one can do without growing impatient for one's destination. Still, even as minutes grow long, the miles continue to pass and eventually you see tiny points of light in the distance. Easthaven at last!

>Walk and enjoy the scenery. Make a note to self to ask Rinnosuke when you get back if a certain fae applied.
>We never got her last name did we... Do most people not have last names?

>You certainly did plenty of walking, and even some enjoying of the scenery. You make a note to ask Rinnosuke about Cirno. Hopefully she actually doesn't cause any problems...
>Humans almost universally have last names. With youkai it varies. Many do, but some don't; you rather suspect this is personal preference, as many youkai with family names don't have a 'family' in a lineage sense. Or certainly not a family that would have had names themselves. Most fairies have two names, although neither is really a 'family' name, nor do fairies have biological families in a conventional sense. Now that you think of it, Cirno's name is actually rather unusual for a fairy. Most take their names from parts of nature - flowers, plants, the weather, and so on - or sometimes food, especially sweet things, or objects of whimsy. Whether she has a second name or not, you really wouldn't know.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #931 on: May 13, 2011, 03:41:37 AM »
>"Cirno's pretty interesting eh... I wonder if she'll be able to top Marisa one day?"
>Is there anything we've forgotten, like sleep or the like?
>Any of our memory from before this morning really coming back? Because that was one shitty hangover.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #932 on: May 13, 2011, 03:56:10 AM »
>Well we've been walking most of the day, so sleep is pretty obviously going to be a thing we need.
>Head toward Easthaven. Recall what we can about it. Was it where we spent our rodent days?
>Also don't talk to ourself; especially as if ourself was someone else.

« Reply #933 on: May 13, 2011, 04:04:43 AM »
>Nothing wrong with talking to ourselves. It's when we start arguing with ourselves and losing, then we've got a problem.
>Recall as well the route to Ichirn's place, that seems a decent place to pitch our tent for the night, if possible.

« Reply #934 on: May 13, 2011, 04:34:42 AM »
>"Cirno's pretty interesting eh... I wonder if she'll be able to top Marisa one day?"
>Is there anything we've forgotten, like sleep or the like?
>Any of our memory from before this morning really coming back? Because that was one shitty hangover.

>You give voice to an idle thought about Cirno. If anything sentient heard you, it's been hiding its presence pretty well. And truthfully, you'd be pretty damn impressed at anyone who could manage to top Marisa, let alone a fairy. Still, it might be interesting to see her try...
>By its very definition, something you've forgotten is not something you could recall to know that you'd forgotten it. However you're not yet overdue for sleep at least, although you could really use a rest after all that walking.
>You remember a great many things from before this morning. Last night itself still gets increasingly foggy the later in the night you attempt to recall, degenerating into a sort of vague montage of celebratory carousing. ...oh dear lord, were you actually singing karaoke with Merlin?

>Well we've been walking most of the day, so sleep is pretty obviously going to be a thing we need.
>Head toward Easthaven. Recall what we can about it. Was it where we spent our rodent days?
>Also don't talk to ourself; especially as if ourself was someone else.

>It certainly wouldn't go astray, although you're not dropping with sleep just yet. A chair would be nice, though.
>You continue towards Easthaven. The land grows much flatter and more open here as the trees thin and retreat away to the north. Easthaven is a farming community of exceptional bounty, owing this in no small part, you figure, to the fact that a harvest goddess calls the town home - she herself is always rather more modest about her role. The population of the village is small, but it's surrounded by a profusion of cultivated fields that extend for a great distance from the village center. All manner of produce is grown here, many of which are very hard to grow anywhere else in the Outer Freelands. Consequently, Easthaven supplies much to the other communities in the region, and even some to the central nations. There is very little to the village but farming, however. It is a peaceful and friendly enough place, but sleepy; not much happens here, and you doubt much ever will. Many of the villagers are perfectly happy with that, of course, but you wanted more to your life than this. You don't remember your time as a mundane mouse very well anymore, but Ichirin found you in a field a little ways outside the village. You're honestly not certain if you spent much time in the village itself.
>Maybe the hours of empty terrain are getting to you a little.

>Nothing wrong with talking to ourselves. It's when we start arguing with ourselves and losing, then we've got a problem.
>Recall as well the route to Ichirn's place, that seems a decent place to pitch our tent for the night, if possible.

>But you decide to cut yourself a little slack, anyway. It's been a long day.
>Ichirin's orphanage is along the southeast of the community, towards some of the cliffs overlooking the island's edge. The village center itself is near the eastern edge of the community; nearly all the fields extend to the north and west of it, and indeed nearly all of the actual land.

>You start to reach the outermost fields and pass a scattered house or two built among them - small and simple buildings of wooden construction, although you're still inclined to say they look better than the average place in Braston. You see no one out and about at this hour, although there are lights coming from inside the houses. You suspect there'll still be some minor activity in the village center itself.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #935 on: May 13, 2011, 04:37:52 AM »
>Head for the village center.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #936 on: May 13, 2011, 02:12:40 PM »
>Go towards Ichirin's.
>how good are we a singer? bet we outdid merlin ehhh?

« Reply #937 on: May 13, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »
>Head for the village center.

>You continue towards the village center, passing more fields along with the occasional house or barn. You spot a figure moving along a path between fields in the distance, but the main road itself remains bare as you make your way towards the cluster of lights ahead. Soon enough, the fields give way to more houses as you approach the village center. It is a loose gathering of buildings, arranged with only a suggestion of roads dividing them: mostly houses, with a few storage and other buildings. A couple shops, the village hall, and Minoriko's inn form a rough square around an old stone well, a little further east. That area is still warmly lit from lanterns hung off the side of buildings and you can hear quiet chatter as you walk.

>Go towards Ichirin's.
>how good are we a singer? bet we outdid merlin ehhh?

>You follow the road south from the village center towards Ichirin's, leaving the bulk of the village behind. The land starts to grow hillier to the south and there is little cultivated land here, although there are still a few other houses and buildings along the way. The orphanage itself is on a small rise, past most of the other habitation. It is a low, l-shaped building, fairly large by Easthaven standards, though still of modest construction. A great oak tree grows beside it, a pair of swings hung from its branches. You can still see light coming from the windows.
>At least she was singing in the right key...

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #938 on: May 13, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
>Knock on the door.
>What was the reason for coming here again? A request of some sort, right?

« Reply #939 on: May 13, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »
>Knock on the door.

>You walk up to the door and knock.
>"Hey!" comes an accosting voice from the roof. "Who're you?"

>What was the reason for coming here again? A request of some sort, right?

>You're came here because Ichirin posted a request with the guild; something about disappearing livestock in the community.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #940 on: May 13, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »
>"I'm Nazrin."
>Look up.
>"Is Ichirin around?"

« Reply #941 on: May 13, 2011, 09:11:50 PM »
>"I'm Nazrin."
>Look up.
>"Is Ichirin around?"

>You announce yourself, then look up. Sitting on the roof is a dusty blond-haired fairy in a black dress. She's frowning at you a little accusatorily.
>"Whadda you wanna know for?" she fires back.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #942 on: May 13, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »
>"I grew up here, hoping to check in and see what that job she sent to us was about."

« Reply #943 on: May 13, 2011, 09:20:59 PM »
>"I grew up here, hoping to check in and see what that job she sent to us was about."

>"Never seen you around here before," the fairy says dubiously.
>At this point the door opens. "...Nazrin?" Obvious surprise is writ on Ichirin's face.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #944 on: May 13, 2011, 09:31:05 PM »
>Glance down to Ichirin. "Um, hey. How's it been? I heard you've been needing a seeker?"

« Reply #945 on: May 13, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
>Glance down to Ichirin. "Um, hey. How's it been? I heard you've been needing a seeker?"

>"You heard-" Ichirin pauses uncertainly for a moment, then a warm smile spreads across her face. "Oh Nazrin, you finally did it, didn't you? I'm so glad for you."
>"So you know this kid?" the fairy asks.
>"Yes, I know her," Ichrin says, then frowns a little and looks up. "What have I told you about accosting all our visitors?" she adds in a mildly chiding tone.
>"...sorry."

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #946 on: May 13, 2011, 10:01:27 PM »
>"Eh, It's fine. Let the kid have her fun."
>"Anyways, I heard that you needed help with something, mind giving me a bit more details? And hows the place been doing, eh?"

« Reply #947 on: May 13, 2011, 10:23:21 PM »
>"Eh, It's fine. Let the kid have her fun."
>"Anyways, I heard that you needed help with something, mind giving me a bit more details? And hows the place been doing, eh?"

>Ichirin frowns. "You shouldn't encourage her." The fairy grins.
>"You've only been here for 30 seconds and already you're talking business." Ichirin shakes her head. "You've been on the road for hours, and you could use some rest, whether you'll admit it or not. Come in; I'll put on some tea." And with that she turns and walks back into the house.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #948 on: May 13, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »
>Do we think, if we took some time to have tea with Ichirin, we could get back to the gathering in town center and ask around there before it breaks up for the night?

« Reply #949 on: May 13, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »
>Do we think, if we took some time to have tea with Ichirin, we could get back to the gathering in town center and ask around there before it breaks up for the night?

>You don't know that it was a specific gathering, so much as people milling about. However, it's pretty late as it is, so you imagine a lot of them will be trickling back home over the next little while. There might still be a couple people about, after tea, but not many. There may not even be very many if you left now.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #950 on: May 13, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
This is why we do the time sensitive things first.

>"Maybe in a bit. First I just wanted to make sure that everyone here was okay, and...well, um, you mind if I stay here the night?"

« Reply #951 on: May 13, 2011, 10:55:50 PM »
>"Maybe in a bit. First I just wanted to make sure that everyone here was okay, and...well, um, you mind if I stay here the night?"

>Ichirin stops and turns back to you. "Of course not!" she says. "We even have an empty bedroom at the moment. It's not your old one, I'm afraid." She frowns. "I hope you didn't honestly think it'd be a problem."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #952 on: May 13, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »
>"I was afraid you might've been full up. I'll be back in a little bit. I need to gather up some information about another job. They need it done and in Branston by tomorrow."
>What were the details of the produce shipment? Would we expect Ichirin to know anything about it?

« Reply #953 on: May 13, 2011, 11:23:42 PM »
>"I was afraid you might've been full up. I'll be back in a little bit. I need to gather up some information about another job. They need it done and in Branston by tomorrow."
>What were the details of the produce shipment? Would we expect Ichirin to know anything about it?

>Ichirin frowns a little, then nods. "Don't push yourself too hard.?
>It was a shipment of fruit for The Melon Bowl in Braston. The contract was with an Isato Matsutaka. You don't recognize the name off-hand, but Ichirin might know.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #954 on: May 13, 2011, 11:38:24 PM »
>"Do you know an Isato Matsutaka?"

« Reply #955 on: May 13, 2011, 11:51:53 PM »
>"Do you know an Isato Matsutaka?"

>"I do," she nods. "Why do you-" She pauses, then fixes you with a firm gaze. "Is this about that wild youkai he said attacked him the other day?"
>"Big meanie thing!" the fairy adds.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #956 on: May 13, 2011, 11:58:38 PM »
>"Might be. What're the details?"

« Reply #957 on: May 14, 2011, 12:06:04 AM »
>"Might be. What're the details?"

>"I'm not sure exactly," she says. "I only heard it second hand. But supposedly he was attacked on the way to Braston a couple days ago. He managed to get away uninjured, but when he went back later looking for his cart, the whole thing was gone, horses and all. I'm glad he made it out safe, but that's a pretty big loss for someone to recoup. Did he register a petition with the guild, too?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #958 on: May 14, 2011, 12:25:46 AM »
>"His client did. Can you tell me where to find him?"

« Reply #959 on: May 14, 2011, 12:44:14 AM »
>"His client did. Can you tell me where to find him?"

>"He lives over towards the north of town, I think. I'm not certain where exactly, I'm afraid. Minoriko would probably know. She might still be open," she frowns, looking towards town, "although it's getting pretty late."
>"Still way early," the fairy pipes up.
>"We're not all nocturnal," Ichirin retorts. The fairy just giggles.