Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47572 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #600 on: January 14, 2013, 12:37:16 AM »
>"And the outfit looks good on you, too."
>"So where can I find this Sumiko in there?"

« Reply #601 on: January 14, 2013, 12:48:06 AM »
>"And the outfit looks good on you, too."
>"So where can I find this Sumiko in there?"

>Somehow Kyouko's expression manages to brighten still further at your compliment. "Thanks!"
>"Follow me!" she declares with a thrush of her broom, then turns and marches off towards the shrine building.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #602 on: January 14, 2013, 12:52:29 AM »
>Man, is there anything that can get this kid down? Probably not.
>Let's follow along then!
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #603 on: January 14, 2013, 12:57:26 AM »
>"So where else do you pitch in around town?"

« Reply #604 on: January 14, 2013, 02:04:09 AM »
>Man, is there anything that can get this kid down? Probably not.
>Let's follow along then!

>She does seem a font of cheerfulness. You imagine it could actually get a little obnoxious sometimes....
>You follow after Kyouko as she heads further down the cobblestone path.

>"So where else do you pitch in around town?"

>"Oh, I've worked lots of places," she replies. "A bakery, a cafe, a library... I helped coach a school choir once, planted some trees in Whitemantle Park after they blew down in that storm a couple years back, delivered fliers... Lots of stuff!"

>The sounds of the surrounding city grow just a little fainter as you proceed, the tall trees doing their best to ward off the world outside. A gentle breeze stirs their leaves to rustling as the faint trickle of the tiny brooks adds a subtle bass beneath. There is a burst of sound and movement to your right as a small bird takes flight from a high branch and then disappears beyond the trees. It is but a short walk to the main building; Kyouko leads you up the small flight of stairs at its front, past a humble offertory box standing before of a small gong that rests astride a water feature, and then through the main doors.
>You enter into a sparse and spartan room, shoji walls and wooden flooring with little furniture or embellishing. It is lit by a small cluster of paper lanterns hanging from its ceiling and a few of its walls bear long scrolls of archaic calligraphy; the brushwork is fine, but so stylized as to be hard to read. There are a pair of small water features in alcoves along the main wall, built in the likeness of springs issuing over water-worn stone, but little else of note. It is surprisingly spacious, perhaps all the more so because of its sparseness; maybe a gathering space of some kind?

>"Wait here just a moment," Kyouko says in an uncharacteristically subdued tone as she walks towards one of the sliding doors on the far wall.

« Reply #605 on: January 14, 2013, 02:22:48 AM »
>Nod is response.
>Sweep area with extrasensory perception.
>Visualize Kyouko teaching a chorus.
>Avoid giant bouncing balls.

« Reply #606 on: January 14, 2013, 04:14:49 AM »
>Nod is response.
>Sweep area with extrasensory perception.
>Visualize Kyouko teaching a chorus.
>Avoid giant bouncing balls.

>You nod as the cheerful part-timer goes to fetch her elder.
>As she does so, you gently feel around the area for anything that brushes against your treasure sense. Nothing does so loudly, though you can feel a vague sensation of some kind coming from somewhere beyond the far side of the room - something at least a little magical in an unusual way, you think. It's not entirely unusual for shrines to have relics that hold some power in them, so this is not altogether unexpected. You cannot tell what it might be or do, however.
>By the time she was through with coaching them, you wonder if the choir might need to start handing out complimentary earplugs at recitals. At the very least, Kyouko could probably be a good cheerleader for the group - figuratively speaking, of course.
>That's just silly. Why would anyone store giant bouncing orbs of destruction at a shrine? What possible use could a shrine maiden have for such things?

>Kyouko leans her head towards the door. "Sumiko? You have a visitor here who'd like to speak with you. It's about..." She pauses, then turns back to you with a frown. "Um... I never asked what it was about."

« Reply #607 on: January 14, 2013, 04:34:03 AM »
>"I have an item in my possession that I was told has some form of faith within it, or blessing upon it. I was hoping to learn more about the nature of that power."

« Reply #608 on: January 15, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »
>"I have an item in my possession that I was told has some form of faith within it, or blessing upon it. I was hoping to learn more about the nature of that power."

>Kyouko turns back to the door. "She says: 'I have an item in my possession that I was told has some form of-'"
>"I heard her, Kyouko," comes a calm but firm voice from the other side of the door. You hear soft footsteps and the door slides open to reveal a cool-faced woman wearing a darker and more elaborate version of the part-timer's outfit. Long black hair flows down nearly to the small of her back, unadorned save for a single lock dyed a deep blue and braided with small waterworn pebbles. A simple pendant hangs from her neck, little more than a leather thong suspending a coarsely-polished oblong stone. She regards you coolly with clear blue eyes then seems almost to glide towards you, her footsteps light upon the wooden floor.
>"You wish me to examine something you possess?" she asks.

« Reply #609 on: January 16, 2013, 02:46:34 AM »
>Point to our sword with our tail. "If you wouldn't mind."

« Reply #610 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:45 AM »
>Point to our sword with our tail. "If you wouldn't mind."

>The shrine maiden turn her gaze towards Kumokirimaru for a moment. "Your sword?" she asks.

« Reply #611 on: January 16, 2013, 03:27:54 AM »
>"It's a very old sword. I found near an old temple, in the Outer Freelands. Supposedly there's some kind of faith-related power, or spell, in it, and that is by no means my area of expertise. I was hoping to find out more about that power- who put it there, when it was put there, how long the power might last."

« Reply #612 on: January 16, 2013, 03:44:53 AM »
>"It's a very old sword. I found near an old temple, in the Outer Freelands. Supposedly there's some kind of faith-related power, or spell, in it, and that is by no means my area of expertise. I was hoping to find out more about that power- who put it there, when it was put there, how long the power might last."

>Sumiko's expression remains neutral and placid as you explain your circumstances and then for several moments beyond that. She nods slowly, her eyes drifting gently closed amid the gesture.
>"I will endeavor to learn what I can," she says. "If you could let me hold it?"

« Reply #613 on: January 16, 2013, 03:48:21 AM »
>Recall our experience with Karu. How much distance did we have between us and her when she had our sword? And did we experience any notable negative effects of separation from that sword?

« Reply #614 on: January 16, 2013, 03:56:21 AM »
>Recall our experience with Karu. How much distance did we have between us and her when she had our sword? And did we experience any notable negative effects of separation from that sword?

>When you were testing the effect that distance from your sword would have, you put at least a dozen feet or so between the two of you. Aside from some butterflies in the stomach, you noticed no other ill effects from this. Karu moreover seemed convinced that even greater distance would not adversely affect your health, as she could detect no active bond between the weapon and you - for whatever that might be worth.

« Reply #615 on: January 16, 2013, 04:05:26 AM »
>Still not an easy thing to swallow, letting someone else hold the sword after everything that's happened.
>On the other hand, if we let a pirate handle it, letting a shrine maiden handle it seems a fair bit easier to swallow.
>Produce the blade and present it to her.

« Reply #616 on: January 16, 2013, 04:26:16 AM »
>Still not an easy thing to swallow, letting someone else hold the sword after everything that's happened.
>On the other hand, if we let a pirate handle it, letting a shrine maiden handle it seems a fair bit easier to swallow.
>Produce the blade and present it to her.

>With just a little reservation, you unsheathe Kumokirimaru and hand it to Sumiko who accepts it with another graceful bow of her head. Off to the side, you hear Kyouko stifle an "Ooo...." The slightest twitch disturbs her elder's placid countenance and then is gone again.
>With a look of focused contemplation, Sumiko runs her eyes slowly from one end of the blade to the other; there is a faintly distant look within them, as though it were not the steel beneath her gaze she was examining.
>"There is a power within this, no doubt," she says without looking back in your direction. "Something familiar, and yet not. Something old and ageless. Something..." She pauses, a thin frown creasing her features. "I am not certain. You said this came from a temple in the Freelands? Which?"

« Reply #617 on: January 16, 2013, 04:30:59 AM »
>"I never got a chance to explore it. I was ambushed by an overly aggressive spider youkai before I got a chance. But it was underground, north of the village of Easthaven, if that helps. On Estval Isle."

« Reply #618 on: January 16, 2013, 04:58:13 AM »
>"I never got a chance to explore it. I was ambushed by an overly aggressive spider youkai before I got a chance. But it was underground, north of the village of Easthaven, if that helps. On Estval Isle."

>Kyouko's ears twitch upward as you mention your battle with the spider youkai, though she does a somewhat better job of stifling the gasp which tries to pass her lips. At least vocally - the expression on her face could be read by a mole from a dozen feet away. The elder miko's expression also wavers slightly, though at a rather different word.
>"Underground?" she says. "I am... I must admit my knowledge of that area's geography is rudimentary, but I do not believe I have ever heard of such a temple there before."

« Reply #619 on: January 16, 2013, 04:59:41 AM »
>Did we get a sense that the temple, from what we saw of it, had always been down there? Like it had been build there? Or that it had submerged over the years?

« Reply #620 on: January 16, 2013, 05:08:25 AM »
>Did we get a sense that the temple, from what we saw of it, had always been down there? Like it had been build there? Or that it had submerged over the years?

>You are not certain how it might have submerged, given that there was an intact ceiling of rock to the gallery above it, but you never had a chance to investigate nearly close enough to determine much about its construction. For that matter, all you really saw was a torii; the style or even existence of other structures accompanying it, you can only guess.

« Reply #621 on: January 16, 2013, 05:39:30 AM »
>"The temple could have sunk, or have been moved at some point, I can't be sure. I don't have an idea how long it was down there, either. I am sure that the earth spider that ambushed me hated that sword. More than I've ever seen anyone hate anything before."
>"Come to think of it, have you ever heard of a race of spider youkai before?"

« Reply #622 on: January 16, 2013, 06:43:01 AM »
>"The temple could have sunk, or have been moved at some point, I can't be sure. I don't have an idea how long it was down there, either. I am sure that the earth spider that ambushed me hated that sword. More than I've ever seen anyone hate anything before."
>"Come to think of it, have you ever heard of a race of spider youkai before?"

>"Of course," she replies. "Youkai arise from all manner of the creatures of the world. But this... this temple you speak of... it was ruined? Abandoned?"

« Reply #623 on: January 16, 2013, 06:52:56 AM »
>"I meant a full-blown race, like the kappa or oni or tengu."
>"And I would guess abandoned. I think the only humanoid that had been down there for decades, maybe centuries, was that youkai, before I ended up down there. As for ruined, I don't know. I only got a good look at the torii, and they seemed reasonably intact."

« Reply #624 on: January 16, 2013, 07:43:31 AM »
>"I meant a full-blown race, like the kappa or oni or tengu."
>"And I would guess abandoned. I think the only humanoid that had been down there for decades, maybe centuries, was that youkai, before I ended up down there. As for ruined, I don't know. I only got a good look at the torii, and they seemed reasonably intact."

>"I do not know of any nearly the populous," she says. "But perhaps somewhere in the world there are."
>The shrine maiden shakes her head thoughtfully and frowns. "I am not certain what to say. Perhaps this was a relic of that shrine then, but I am obviously unfamiliar with their traditions. You said... the youkai hated this sword? What do you mean?"
>Kyouko frowns slightly.

« Reply #625 on: January 16, 2013, 08:24:32 AM »
>Let out a long breath. Remembering the hate in her eyes still makes our blood run cold.
>"I can only tell you my impressions, and what she told me. She wasn't very rational, and I was hurt. We both were, pretty badly."
>"I gathered from her that her people used to be a populous race in the area, that they used to live on the surface world as well as underground. But something happened, something bad. I think there was a war between the surface dwellers and her people." Point at Kumokirimaru. "She said that sword was used to massacre her people. Personally I doubt one sword could do all that, but the way she hated it, I don't doubt it was used to fight spiders and/or spider youkai."
>"And if the faith in that blade really is some sort of charm, or ward, against spider-type youkai, then knowing more about it might help me learn more about what happened to her people."

« Reply #626 on: January 16, 2013, 09:15:30 AM »
>Let out a long breath. Remembering the hate in her eyes still makes our blood run cold.
>"I can only tell you my impressions, and what she told me. She wasn't very rational, and I was hurt. We both were, pretty badly."
>"I gathered from her that her people used to be a populous race in the area, that they used to live on the surface world as well as underground. But something happened, something bad. I think there was a war between the surface dwellers and her people." Point at Kumokirimaru. "She said that sword was used to massacre her people. Personally I doubt one sword could do all that, but the way she hated it, I don't doubt it was used to fight spiders and/or spider youkai."
>"And if the faith in that blade really is some sort of charm, or ward, against spider-type youkai, then knowing more about it might help me learn more about what happened to her people."

>Sumiko takes in your tale with that same focused countenance, cool gaze rarely wavering yours and scarcely seeming to blink. Kyouko is less impassive, but limits her expressions of dismay to face and ears - and expressive they are, nearly wilting at your mention of a massacre. You hear a faint muted whimper.
>When you are done, Sumiko takes another long stare at Kumokirimaru.
>"I do not know this war of which you speak, but this sword was not used to slaughter," she says at length. "There is no hatred in it, no malice. I am not fully sure the nature of it yet, but of this I am nearly certain."
>"...well that's good," Kyouko adds tentatively. "Right?"

« Reply #627 on: January 16, 2013, 09:21:41 AM »
>"Well, it's good for me. I'm not in the business of killing people, and I'd hate to be carrying around something that was designed to exterminate a race."
>Never mind the fact that it saved our lives, if this blade had been designed with genocide in mind, that'd change things a bit.
>"So what would be involved in figuring out the nature of that sword's faith?" Pause. "Is 'faith' even the right word? I've never dealt with a weapon like this before."

« Reply #628 on: January 16, 2013, 06:45:23 PM »
>"Well, it's good for me. I'm not in the business of killing people, and I'd hate to be carrying around something that was designed to exterminate a race."
>Never mind the fact that it saved our lives, if this blade had been designed with genocide in mind, that'd change things a bit.
>"So what would be involved in figuring out the nature of that sword's faith?" Pause. "Is 'faith' even the right word? I've never dealt with a weapon like this before."

>Kyouko nods enthusiastically, though her face bears an unsettled frown. "Yeah, that would be really creepy...."
>Sumiko remains inexpressive and hard to read.

>"You could choose to call it that," she says. "Though faith can mean many things to different people. There is a spiritual force within the blade, but it is not one I recognize. It may be that a divinity dwells inside it - many more inhabit our world than can be known or counted - or it may simply be the lingering touch of one upon it, or perhaps some charm worked by the rites of this abandoned temple you speak of, whoever they were." She turns the blade around gently in her hands. "If you will allow, I can attempt to commune with the power resting within. It is not my place to say if it will answer me, but perhaps it may."

« Reply #629 on: January 16, 2013, 08:32:51 PM »
>About how long do we think it will take for the bittercress flower to bloom, considering its rate of growth? Assuming it DOES flower.