Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47000 times)

(Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:40:03 PM »
>You are Nazrin, a newly inducted member of the Seeker's Guild, and you are dying. But at long last, you may have found your first real clue as to fixing this problem. Too bad it seems to require finding a second improbable thing....

>Your career got off to an interesting and busy start last week, between stolen cats, missing cattle, and sword-wielding fairies, but things took a much darker turn when an encounter with a wild spider youkai left you infected with a mysterious and deadly illness. Thanks to Minoriko's creative thinking and the power of an ancient sword found buried in the spider's lair, the Blight has been kept at bay. For now. But you were told you had no more than a couple weeks to live unless a cure could be found, and one of them has already passed.

>Your search for this cure has been a long and frustrating road. You could find little useful information about your affliction or its treatment in Braston, so you sought passage to Val Razua in the hope that its Grand Academy might house the information you desperately require. While the journey was marred by a bloody and near-disastrous struggle with tengu pirates that resulted in the Blue Maiden's defeat and the capture of a curious relic it had been transporting in secret, you still arrived in Val Razua more or less on schedule and in one piece.

>Fortunately, some of your hopes were realized when you discovered a passage, buried in the rare books collection of the Voile Magisterial Library, describing a medicinal mixture which can cure 'the ragged blackening of the veins'. Unfortunately, after consulting with a knowledgeable but somewhat incoherent professor of herbalism, you have learned that bittercress blossoms, a critical ingredient of this mixture, occur only once every seven years and are not due for another three. A thin ray of hope may still shine on this possibility, however. According to a reliable rumor she conveyed, there is a garden hidden in the southwestern reaches of Val Razuan territory where plants of all kinds can be found in perpetual bloom; perhaps this might include even bittercress. Unfortunately, it is also rumored to be tended by a powerful and dangerous youkai, and no one knows specifically where it can be found. Still, you have a general direction, which is more than you had even this morning. Maybe you'll only need to seek two or three more impossible things before this is all over and done with....

>Currently you are concluding a conversation with Professor Bosqueverde about the details of the more mundane components of this cure.

>Then we may have to look into a 'proper' vessel, but dude at the alchemist store can tell us about that.
>"Well, I think that covers all the issues I had with those two items."
>Crack a wry grin. "I bet I sounded a bit like one of your first year students, but, I pride myself on being thorough."

>That seems quite likely.
>"I hope I was able at least to be of some small help, then," she says.
>She smiles gently. "Oh, you should not mind that, even were it the case that you were. No, not at all - quite poor form indeed it would be to hold against one the not knowing of that they do not know. The very reason there are teachers at all, this is, yes."

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 02:35:11 AM »
>Did she make that list of ingredients yet?
>If not, remind her. Gently.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:54:57 AM »
>Did she make that list of ingredients yet?
>If not, remind her. Gently.

>She has not, so you gently remind her.
>"Oh!" The professor's eyes widen. "Yes, of course! I shall be a moment only," she says as she shuffles briskly towards her desk. "Or nearly so - a moment is such an imprecise measure, when one stops to think on it, is it not? One moment or two moments or ten even might well be counted as one by another measure, yes."
>With a lesser delay than the last time she sifted through the contents of her desk, she produces a pen and set to busily scribing. Her banter barely abates while she does so, though it is punctuated with odd pauses and mumbled whisperings on the topic of her writing - or at least you assume so. With this woman, it's hard to tell sometimes.
>After a minute or two, she puts pen aside and presents the finished note to you with a rambled apology about its rudimentary nature, hedged in triplicate. Despite this, it's actually quite long and peppered with technical terms that mean little to you, but hopefully plenty to its intended recipient. The penmanship is actually rather better than her earlier warnings would have led you to believe, though still a bit of a scrawl; it isn't that difficult to read, at least.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:06:55 AM »
>Double check to make sure that it at least contains all the ingredients she mentioned to us. Those, at least, we would recognize.
>After doing that, stow the note away.
>"I do believe that covers all my questions about those two items. At least, everything I can think of at the moment."
>"Though... Now that I think about it. This gum of yours. Is it supposed to lose its flavor over time?"

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 04:31:11 AM »
>Double check to make sure that it at least contains all the ingredients she mentioned to us. Those, at least, we would recognize.
>After doing that, stow the note away.
>"I do believe that covers all my questions about those two items. At least, everything I can think of at the moment."
>"Though... Now that I think about it. This gum of yours. Is it supposed to lose its flavor over time?"

>As near as your limited expertise can determine, it is complete.
>You stow the note in your pack.
>The professor nods. "As you say, yes."
>"Oh. Yes. Well... " She offers you an uncomfortable frown. "I have not yet altogether figured out how to rightly prevent that - though I should point out that this state of affairs is not intended to be always as it now is! I intend fully to work on its longevity when chance I have to do so - several possibilities in mind I have, in fact!"

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 05:19:26 AM »
>Chuckle. "Keep workin' on it, prof. And thanks again."
>Take out leave of her again, and depart the school grounds.
>Pause outside the gates though, and refresh our memory. Did professor mention the location of any nurseries to us, and if so, where? And did we pass any on the way to here?
>How far away was that alchemist shop we were at before?

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 06:09:43 AM »
>Chuckle. "Keep workin' on it, prof. And thanks again."
>Take out leave of her again, and depart the school grounds.

>"It is no problem at all," she says. "A pleasure, in fact, yes. A good day to you, Seeker."
>You depart the professor's office and make your way toward the campus gates.

>As you near the circle, your eye catches upon a flash of pink hair approaching from the path to the north. Apparently she catches sight of you as well, as she gives you a halfhearted smile and a wave; she looks rather less cheerful than when you first met in the library, and her companion - an auburn-haired girl with glasses and long braids - looks slightly depressive as well.
>"Glad to see you looking a little less like a mental case tried to decorate a cake on your head," she says.

>Pause outside the gates though, and refresh our memory. Did professor mention the location of any nurseries to us, and if so, where? And did we pass any on the way to here?
>How far away was that alchemist shop we were at before?

>The professor mentioned the location of some, in general terms. The ones in question are found to the southwest, alongside the river; apparently several are clustered in that region. Judging from the overview of the city that you got on your way into the harbor, this is a fair distance from your current location. You have not passed any shops of that variety in the travels around the neighbourhood.
>It is about five minutes' walk away from the campus gates.

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 06:33:41 AM »
>Didn't she say something about a test or something before she left the library?
>Give her a small grin. "It'll be nice to find a shower, all the same."
>Glance between the two. "You two, though, look like someone stole your cake out from under your noses."

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 06:50:35 AM »
>Didn't she say something about a test or something before she left the library?
>Give her a small grin. "It'll be nice to find a shower, all the same."
>Glance between the two. "You two, though, look like someone stole your cake out from under your noses."

>She did. Something about abjuration, you think.
>"I'm afraid you'll need to find your own towel after that one," the pink-haired girl quips.
>The girls share a sheepish glance. The new one frowns pensively.
>"Is it that obvious?" Taeya says.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 06:54:39 AM »
>"Trained eye."

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 07:07:07 AM »
>"Trained eye."

>Taeya lets out a little chuckle, then sighs. "The exam was brutal."
>"And Professor Yatsuragi has... a bit of a bad reputation," her companion says pensively.
>"She marks like a tyrant."
>The other girl nods.
>"I'm sunk." Taeya's tone is oddly casual for her words.

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 07:25:41 AM »
>"Are we talking 'head just above water' sunk, or 'start praying' sunk?"

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 07:55:15 AM »
>"Are we talking 'head just above water' sunk, or 'start praying' sunk?"

>"Might pray if I thought someone would listen," she says with a weak smile. "Couldn't hurt, right?"
>Her friend gives her a dubious look. Taeya sighs.
>"Okay, it probably could, yeah. I'll be okay, though. Probably didn't fail. Probably. Cross your fingers?" She gives you an awkward grin, then performs said gesture.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 08:16:02 AM »
>"Well, they say a little hope goes a long way."
>Ugh, that sounded corny.
>"I could use a little hope myself, if I'm gonna find any bittercress seeds here in town."

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 08:36:03 AM »
>"Well, they say a little hope goes a long way."
>Ugh, that sounded corny.
>"I could use a little hope myself, if I'm gonna find any bittercress seeds here in town."

>"Her class is a land of no hope," Taeya says in an exaggerated tone.
>"Even she can't fail the entire class," her friend says. It sounds as though she may be trying to convince herself of this, as well.
>Taeya finds energy for a touch of a smirk. "Subbing as a gardener?"

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »
>"If it'll pay the bills."
>A touch more seriously, "It's for a brew a client of mine wants, back in Easthaven. But from what I've been told, coming up with the seeds is gonna be... Shall we say, tough."

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »
>"If it'll pay the bills."
>A touch more seriously, "It's for a brew a client of mine wants, back in Easthaven. But from what I've been told, coming up with the seeds is gonna be... Shall we say, tough."

>"Well, I'm not much of a gardener," Taeya says. "You might try the Flammable Building, over that way." She points back the way you just came.
>"The Flamel Building," her companion corrects in a smooth tone.
>"Yeah, what she said. That's where all the herbalists are; I don't know if they'd be able to help you, but they might." She pauses a beat. "It is pretty flammable, though, just saying."

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »
>"As a matter of fact, I just finished talking to professor.... uh... Bosque...." Pause. "Bosqueverde." Yes, that was it. Cough.

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
>"As a matter of fact, I just finished talking to professor.... uh... Bosque...." Pause. "Bosqueverde." Yes, that was it. Cough.

>Taeya looks to her companion.
>"I had a class with her last term," she says. "She's actually kind of sweet, in her way."
>"That the hoatzin?" Taeya asks. Her friend nods.

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 08:28:14 PM »
>Do we know what a hoatzin is?

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 11:12:22 PM »
>Do we know what a hoatzin is?

>Not off the top of your head.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 01:37:52 AM »
>"The whatzin?"

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »
>"The whatzin?"

>"It's a kind of bird," the girl with glasses says. "They're folivores, which is very unusual for a bird. They're found mostly in the Wild Lands now."

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 02:02:42 AM »
>Doesn't that mean herbivore?
>Which is the more commonly word used back home?

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 02:13:28 AM »
>Doesn't that mean herbivore?
>Which is the more commonly word used back home?

>You're not really sure what it means, but plenty of birds are herbivores, so that doesn't seem right.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:16:33 AM by DracoOmega »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 02:25:03 AM »
>"Come again?"

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 02:35:36 AM »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 02:43:08 AM »
>"Oh! I guess that does sound weird. I thought they mostly ate bugs and stuff."

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 02:49:15 AM »
>"Oh! I guess that does sound weird. I thought they mostly ate bugs and stuff."

>"Yes, I don't know if there are any other birds out there with that sort of diet," she says.
>"Hear she's a bit of a windbag, though," Taeya adds.
>Her friend frowns at her. "That's not very nice."

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 02:57:03 AM »
>"I wouldn't go as far as to say 'windbag', no. Most windbags I've known tend to enjoy listening to themselves talk, but that ain't the case for her."
>"'course, I'd be lying if I said I didn't find her a touch... ramble-y. But she knows her stuff, that's for sure."