Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 46872 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #510 on: August 25, 2012, 03:59:46 AM »
>What about the librarian, is she moving faster than us?

>She's moving surprisingly quickly, and also has a head start on you. You're probably still a bit faster, but it might be close.

« Reply #511 on: August 25, 2012, 04:05:06 AM »
>One fairy's no match for our bulle... Oh, right.
>Move to intercept, but, as we go, call out, "Free cookies!"

« Reply #512 on: August 25, 2012, 04:51:26 AM »
>One fairy's no match for our bulle... Oh, right.
>Move to intercept, but, as we go, call out, "Free cookies!"

>Might also be handy if you could fly, eh?
>You dash after the fleeing fairy, and decide to toss in a diversionary offer of cookies for good measure.

>"Culinarical acoutriments are insubstantive!" the fairy yells back without slowing for more than a split second. Still, it might have bought you a free step.
>At the same time you hear another voice issue from your rear left, towards the circulation desk. There is a sort of child-like awe to it. "Really?"
>To your right, you can see other library patrons turning to see what the commotion is. You find yourself almost wondering the same thing.

>The fairy continues her hurried flight towards the entrance with the librarian in hot pursuit. Or perhaps 'cold' would be a more appropriate descriptor in this case; there's a certain frigid implacability to her bearing as she narrows the gap between them, footsteps echoing sharply off the polished hardwood. You're still not sure it'll be enough, though, and if the fairy reaches open sky, she's probably in the clear; at least you have no way to catch something a hundred feet in the air. It's about all you can do to keep up, anyway; you're... not feeling in top form at the moment, it seems.
>With only a short distance left to her freedom, the fairy dives down towards the door and.... freezes. There's not really any other way to put it - one moment she's in full flight, and the next she's almost perfectly still. You hear her grunt and one of her wings flexes slightly.

>"Return the book," the librarian says starkly. She also seems to have stopped moving, although in a rather less awkward pose. "It isn't yours."
>The fairy grunts again and you see her head twist a degree or two.

« Reply #513 on: August 25, 2012, 04:54:47 AM »
>What's the matter with us?

« Reply #514 on: August 25, 2012, 05:04:43 AM »
>What's the matter with us?

>Other than feeling a little slower on your feet and a little wearier at the exertion than normal, nothing in particular seems to be the matter with you. Well, aside from the main thing wrong with you that brought you here in the first place. They may not be unrelated.

« Reply #515 on: August 25, 2012, 05:22:45 AM »
>Swell.
>Oh, well, hopefully little miss personality here will be able to settle that one, or at least point us in the right direction. For now, though, back to the issue at hand.
>Let's.. let her handle the fairy. For now. Seems a safe assumption she's got some mojo goin' on here.

« Reply #516 on: August 25, 2012, 06:19:19 AM »
>Swell.
>Oh, well, hopefully little miss personality here will be able to settle that one, or at least point us in the right direction. For now, though, back to the issue at hand.
>Let's.. let her handle the fairy. For now. Seems a safe assumption she's got some mojo goin' on here.

>You decide to let the librarian handle the fairy on her own for a bit. Whatever's going on, it's clear that something stopped the fairy in her tracks, and neither party seems terribly surprised by it.

>"Return the book," the librarian repeats. The fairy's wing twitches again and she twists a tiny bit in midair.
>"Ceasesate your circumscription!" she cries. The more you watch, the more she appears to be outright struggling against some force holding her in place. She isn't getting very far with it.
>The librarian shifts her weight forward slightly and the fairy lets out a little yelp.
>"If I let you go, will you return the book?" Every word of hers is clear and cold.
>The fairy does little to cease her ineffectual squirming, just the same. "This... ahn... this is... libertarianism!"

>You hear footsteps approaching from behind.
>"Hey?" It's that other voice from earlier. "Do you really have free cookies?"

« Reply #517 on: August 25, 2012, 06:23:32 AM »
>"Ah, no. Sorry." Point our tail towards the librarian's captive. "Was trying to get her attention."
>Address the fairy, "Why do you want that book, anyway?"

« Reply #518 on: August 25, 2012, 06:51:52 AM »
>"Ah, no. Sorry." Point our tail towards the librarian's captive. "Was trying to get her attention."
>Address the fairy, "Why do you want that book, anyway?"

>"Auuuu..." She sounds crestfallen. "But oatmeal raisin is Rumia's favorite..."
>"It... has a... splendiferous ampletude of... smartness waves. I can sensate i- ahn!" The fairy yelps again as the librarian shifts slightly closer.
>"You know you're not allowed to take books," the librarian says. "You have been warned."
>"Libertinarianism! Antidisestablish- ahn!"
>"Do you really not have any cookies?"

>The scene appears to have drawn a handful of onlookers, watching at a relatively safe distance.

« Reply #519 on: August 25, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
>Smartness waves. FAIRYS.
>Do we actually have anything that could at least pass for a cookie?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #520 on: August 25, 2012, 07:03:15 AM »
>"Hey, just read the book in here. Then you're not taking it at all."

« Reply #521 on: August 25, 2012, 07:24:18 AM »
>Smartness waves. FAIRYS.
>Do we actually have anything that could at least pass for a cookie?

>It definitely sounds like a fairy thing to you, even if some of those other words are oddly large for one.
>You have some dry crackers. They are tasteless and also dry. They might pass for a cookie if one were simultaneously blind and missing taste buds.

>"Hey, just read the book in here. Then you're not taking it at all."

>"But I can't somnolate here!" the fairy protests. "I'd get less than half the smartness- ahn!"
>"Return the book," the librarian repeats firmly. "You have 30 seconds before I take it from you."
>The fairy seems to tense a little and makes a concerted effort to crane her neck back towards the white-haired woman.

« Reply #522 on: August 25, 2012, 07:32:59 AM »
>To the fairy, with a headshake, "You should know that stealing books never gets you as much smartness as you get otherwise."
>Never let it be said that we're not a generous mouse, giving food to strangers in libraries.
>Glance over our shoulder, "Would you settle for a cracker? They're no cookie, but it's what I travel with."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #523 on: August 25, 2012, 07:33:53 AM »
>"And there's probably reading rooms and stuff. Go read there."

« Reply #524 on: August 25, 2012, 07:57:01 AM »
>To the fairy, with a headshake, "You should know that stealing books never gets you as much smartness as you get otherwise."
>Never let it be said that we're not a generous mouse, giving food to strangers in libraries.
>Glance over our shoulder, "Would you settle for a cracker? They're no cookie, but it's what I travel with."

>"They- they don't?" She sounds a little dismayed.
>You glance over your shoulder and see a short blond-haired girl standing behind you. She is wearing a black vest over a simple white blouse and black skirt, and regarding you with a sort of naievely curious expression; you are reminded very much of a child, though she's almost certainly not human. One lock of her hair is tied with a small red ribbon and a short stack of books is balanced neatly on the top of her head. You offer her a cracker.
>"Rumia isn't picky!" she says with an eager smile.

>"And there's probably reading rooms and stuff. Go read there."

>"That isn't how it works at all!" the fairy insists. She actually sounds slightly smug about it, and quite relieved of her earlier concern. Or maybe she just forgot in that length of time.
>"Twenty," the librarian says coldly.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #525 on: August 25, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »
>Shrug. "Well, it's that or nothing. I'm just trying to help you out."
>Pass Rumia a cracker. "Here you go."

« Reply #526 on: August 25, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »
>No fairy's gonna sound smarter than us. Time to dig into our vocab.
>"Stealing reduces a book's smartness wave component by 66.72%"
>Okay, it ain't as syllable intensive as her, but we ain't no scholar.

« Reply #527 on: August 25, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »
>No fairy's gonna sound smarter than us. Time to dig into our vocab.
>"Stealing reduces a book's smartness wave component by 66.72%"
>Okay, it ain't as syllable intensive as her, but we ain't no scholar.

>"That's an... unh... lambastically sesquipedalian... contraveyance."
>You... fear you may have lost that round.

>Shrug. "Well, it's that or nothing. I'm just trying to help you out."
>Pass Rumia a cracker. "Here you go."

>The fairy merely continues to struggle, producing a rather comical series of grunting and wheezing noises and very little actual movement.
>You pull a cracker out of your pack and pass it towards Rumia. She... appears to be attempting to receive it with her mouth rather than her hands.

« Reply #528 on: August 25, 2012, 08:28:40 AM »
>Well, we tried to help little miss wordfairy there. Not her fault she wouldn't let the thing go.
>What book's she carrying, anyway?
>Never fed a youkai like that before. Add that to the list of firsts in Val Razua here.

« Reply #529 on: August 25, 2012, 08:42:45 AM »
>Well, we tried to help little miss wordfairy there. Not her fault she wouldn't let the thing go.
>What book's she carrying, anyway?
>Never fed a youkai like that before. Add that to the list of firsts in Val Razua here.

>You shrug inwardly - not about to jump through any more hoops on her behalf.
>The book on top seems to be titled 'A Multicultural Tribute to Ground Beef'. The spines of the other books aren't readable from this direction.
>Yeah, who would have thought you'd be feeding one out of hand inside a library, no less? And with these terrible cra- oww!
>Either this Rumia has bad aim or a poor sense of humor, but she seems to have overshot the cracker and gotten some fingers in the bargain.

>"Ten." The librarian's voice is implacable.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #530 on: August 25, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »
>Idly clean our fingers off on the edge of our skirt.
>"Time's running out. It's going to be some or nothing at all."

« Reply #531 on: August 25, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »
>Add before, "Wrong cracker."

« Reply #532 on: August 25, 2012, 09:14:49 AM »
>Idly clean our fingers off on the edge of our skirt.

>You quickly yank your fingers out of Rumia's mouth before she starts to chew, and wipe them off on the edge of your skirt. Ehhh....

>Add before, "Wrong cracker."

>Rumia looks up at you with wide innocent eyes and a slight frown. "You taste kinda funny, Mouse Lady."

>"Time's running out. It's going to be some or nothing at all."

>The fairy's ineffectual struggles have elevated to an almost satiric level. "Unleash me! Unleash me, you pugnacious callipygian ty- ack!"
>"Five."

« Reply #533 on: August 25, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »
>No one's ever said that to us before.
>"Yeah, I'm kinda gamey, I bet."
>Look back at the fairy. "I don't think you want to know what's gonna happen when she hits zero."
>Whatever it is.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #534 on: August 25, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
Awesome, the challenge was met!

>Could we get over there before the five count runs out?
>If so, just go over there and snap the books since the faerie can't do anything.

« Reply #535 on: August 25, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
>No one's ever said that to us before.
>"Yeah, I'm kinda gamey, I bet."

>Quite.
>"Kinda bitter," she says, then starts to chew. Her frown fades. "Thanks for the cracker, Mouse Lady!"
>Then with that, she turns around and skips merrily off towards the door, spreading her arms wide beside her. Somehow the books manage to remain balanced on her head - that's actually kind of impressive.

>Could we get over there before the five count runs out?
>If so, just go over there and snap the books since the faerie can't do anything.

>Getting beneath her in five would be trivial, but reaching the book presents a different problem - she's still quite high off the ground. You could possibly reach her feet if you jumped, though the book is cradled tightly enough in her arms that simply plucking it out is unrealistic. You also don't know if whatever force is keeping her 'stuck' there would prevent an external force from moving her, or whether it's even a good idea to touch her in that state.

>Look back at the fairy. "I don't think you want to know what's gonna happen when she hits zero."
>Whatever it is.

>"I- I'm not enfeared!" she cries. "I've memoriafied over a centennial of-"
>At this point, something curious starts to happen. As Rumia blithely skips towards the door and the confrontation before it, the air around her starts to rapidly darken and grow opaque. The effect forms a nearly-perfect sphere a couple feet wider than she is; at the rate she's going, she's liable to vanish within the pocket of black in another few moments.
>The librarian rounds on her with a wide-eyed glare, looking almost startled. "Stop!"
>Rumia does not stop. In fact, she barely seems to have noticed the others' presence. As she continues obliviously forward, the librarian suddenly shifts her footing and reaches out with a hand.
>You hear a gasp and the fairy's wings burst into flight again. The librarian leaps after her, her pale white form looking for a moment like some sort of vengeful spectre.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #536 on: August 25, 2012, 11:01:12 AM »
>Which way is the faerie going? Does it seem we could interpose ourselves between her and wherever she is going?

« Reply #537 on: August 25, 2012, 06:58:35 PM »
>Which way is the faerie going? Does it seem we could interpose ourselves between her and wherever she is going?

>You believe she's heading for the door again. You've covered enough ground while she was stuck in place that you think you can probably reach it before she can.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #538 on: August 25, 2012, 07:28:11 PM »
>Let's do that. We can swat her out of the air if needs be.

« Reply #539 on: August 25, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »
>Let's do that. We can swat her out of the air if needs be.

>You make a dash for the door, giving the bouncing sphere of darkness a comfortable distance and lagging just a little behind the librarian in the process. Still, the fairy doesn't seem to have much chance of escape at this rate. She glances back over her shoulder; you wonder if that expression on her face suggests she realizes this.
>Then she suddenly spins around and flips open the book in her hands, then starts gesturing elaborately with one hand; it is a fair impersonation of spellcaster in the midst of violent muscle spasms.
>"Supercalifragilisticexpialidoci- gah!"
>And with that, she freezes in place mid-gesture, her elbow bent at a very awkward angle that leaves her pointing an outstretched finger directly at you. She cringes, and then grimaces still further; she actually looks to be in some pain. Then you notice the book in her hands start to glow faintly.
>"What did you do?" the librarian demands.
>"Rumia made the lights go away!" comes a cheerful voice from within the darkness. "The sun is all bwaaaaa today and-"
>"Not you." The words cut coldly through the youkai's banter. She throws an icy glare at the fairy. "You."
>"Oh." You can almost hear the frown in Rumia's voice. "Sorry, Miss Poltergeist!"
>"I uh-" The fairy glances around uncertainly. "Um... I convocated an effervescent discombobulation. Yes, that's exactly it!" She nods firmly.

>Is it just your imagination, or are your ears tingling?