Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 48691 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2011, 05:00:54 AM »
>"I'll be fine. I'm a mouse: we don't die from plagues, we spread them."
>Frown.
>"Am I contagious?"

>Your remark draws a weak chuckle from Ichirin and a hint of a smile.
>Then you frown at the thought of what you just said being literally true.
>"She said she doesn't think so. And given how quickly you fell ill, it's likely others would already be sick by now if you were. This is no natural disease; it is born of something almost spiritual and clings viciously to whatever it infects."

>"Fine. I don't need prayers anyway. I need something more useful. Other than crying to gods, did she mention any way to fight this?"

>Ichirin is silent for a moment, before uttering a weak "...no."
>"She's tried everything in her knowledge," she says. "We all have. And checked with doctors and even brought in a priestess. Minoriko was the only one who was able to do anything at all. She..." Ichirin's eyes grow distant; you can practically see the painful memories reflected in them, and hear them clearly in her voice.
>"She tried all the usual remedies, but your fever and breathing kept worsening. Nothing but that sword seemed to make any difference, and even that was far too little. You were dying... quickly. She could feel the faith placed inside the blade, but she couldn't really touch it; every kind of faith and prayer is different and unique, and its domain was not hers. But the faith inside that weapon was pushing against the disease and was the only thing that seemed able to. So she came up with a way that she could tap into that power, just a little."
>"She planted some herb seeds in a pot of soil and placed the blade within it so that its aura could touch upon the earth, then coaxed them to grow. From that, she made medicine infused with the prayers that rest inside that weapon. A few hours later, your fever broke."
>She shakes her head. "But the blight itself barely slowed."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2011, 05:02:46 AM »
>"Then I need to draw on whatever is in the weapon myself, it seems."

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2011, 05:05:12 AM »
>"Then I need to draw on whatever is in the weapon myself, it seems."

>"Do you have any idea how?" she says. "No offense intended, but you're not a very... spiritual person."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2011, 05:22:30 AM »
>"I'll probably have to fake it. Hopefully, Minoriko can give me some assistance with that."

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2011, 05:26:59 AM »
>"I'll probably have to fake it. Hopefully, Minoriko can give me some assistance with that."

>Ichirin looks at you for a few moments, then slowly nods. "Anything is worth trying."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2011, 05:36:16 AM »
>"I'm hoping it'll agree the enemy of it's enemy is it's friend."
>Look around. Do we see our stuff in here?

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2011, 05:40:00 AM »
>"I'm hoping it'll agree the enemy of it's enemy is it's friend."
>Look around. Do we see our stuff in here?

>"I hope so..." she says.
>Your pack, dowsing rods and all, is resting against the wall. You see no sign of your clothing, but after the acid and other damage it may have been a lost cause.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2011, 05:48:06 AM »
>What are we wearing?

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2011, 05:53:36 AM »
>What are we wearing?

>A light grey long-sleeved jinbei, more or less your size. Ichirin rarely has a shortage of spare clothes, given the people than have come through this household over the years.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2011, 06:07:58 AM »
>"I suppose I just need to go see Minoriko and see what she has to share. And make an offering of some kind, I suppose."
>Slowly try to get up.

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2011, 06:18:39 AM »
>"I suppose I just need to go see Minoriko and see what she has to share. And make an offering of some kind, I suppose."
>Slowly try to get up.

>"She'd probably rather you didn't," Ichirin says, frowning a little. "You know how she is. But I'm sure she'll do whatever she can you help; she'd already worked very hard for your sake."
>You slowly try to rise. Your body feels very heavy, and you probably have another nap right now if you let yourself. Ichirin frowns further.
>"Are you sure you're up for going anywhere yet? I can go and ask her to come here instead."

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2011, 07:06:02 AM »
>"... Might not be a bad idea. You can move faster than me now, that's for sure."
>"But... there's probably no rush. The way I feel, I might be out again before you get back."
>"And while it's on my mind, before I go anywhere, I'd like to have that sword bound to my left hand. I am right-handed, after all, I might need it before this is done."
>Look Ichirin in the eyes.
>"And I will find a way to beat this, Ichirin. Minoriko may not be able to do anything else, but if she can't, then there's at least one more lead I can follow. Rinnosuke, the guildmaster. He knows a little bit of anything about everything. I'm betting he knows about this sword, too, and that might point me in the right direction to beat this blight."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2011, 07:24:17 AM »
>"Has Braston been informed of this situation? If nothing else, we should send some word and maybe a rubbing of the words on this sword to the guild master."

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:30 AM »
>"... Might not be a bad idea. You can move faster than me now, that's for sure."
>"But... there's probably no rush. The way I feel, I might be out again before you get back."
>"And while it's on my mind, before I go anywhere, I'd like to have that sword bound to my left hand. I am right-handed, after all, I might need it before this is done."

>She nods slowly.
>"Don't push yourself," she says. "You've already been through so much; let yourself rest a little."
>"Of course I can, if you want me to. Minoriko said that once the medicine took effect, you mightn't need to keep a hold on it the entire time, but..." She frowns slightly. "I suppose she would know..."

>Look Ichirin in the eyes.
>"And I will find a way to beat this, Ichirin. Minoriko may not be able to do anything else, but if she can't, then there's at least one more lead I can follow. Rinnosuke, the guildmaster. He knows a little bit of anything about everything. I'm betting he knows about this sword, too, and that might point me in the right direction to beat this blight."

>You look Ichirin in the eyes and defy this new turn of fate. You're a Seeker. Finding things no one else can is part of the job description. This won't be any different.
>Ichirin holds your gaze tightly, looking past your eyes at something deeper. She is silent for a moment, and then a soft smile warms her face even as her eyes draw tight with sorrow.
>"You're right of course. There must be an answer out there somewhere."

>"Has Braston been informed of this situation? If nothing else, we should send some word and maybe a rubbing of the words on this sword to the guild master."

>Ichirin shakes her head. "Not besides getting the doctor. But I can certainly make a rubbing and find someone who can send it into town straight away, if you think that might help."

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2011, 12:55:12 AM »
>Been through so much... Understatement, Ichirin. Just hope things don't get TOO much worse before we find some way to fix this, but we've got some long days ahead.
>"It seems I don't have all that much time to rest. Okay, I might not be much good at the moment, but the minute I can move, you can bet I will."
>"But sending a rubbing ahead of me would be helpful. It'll give Rinnosuke something to start with before I can show him the sword itself. Might not be much, but it's something. At this point, I'll take all the headstart I can get."

« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2011, 01:04:57 AM »
>Been through so much... Understatement, Ichirin. Just hope things don't get TOO much worse before we find some way to fix this, but we've got some long days ahead.
>"It seems I don't have all that much time to rest. Okay, I might not be much good at the moment, but the minute I can move, you can bet I will."
>"But sending a rubbing ahead of me would be helpful. It'll give Rinnosuke something to start with before I can show him the sword itself. Might not be much, but it's something. At this point, I'll take all the headstart I can get."

>No kidding. It's hard to let yourself rest when the clock is ticking that quickly. Only a couple weeks? Can that really be right? You honestly don't feel that unwell...
>"I don't doubt it for a minute," she says. "But... well, just be as kind on yourself as you still can."
>She nods. "Of course. Whatever I can do, just ask."

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2011, 01:20:11 AM »
>"'bout how long should it take to have that rubbing made?"

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2011, 01:27:10 AM »
>"'bout how long should it take to have that rubbing made?"

>"I can go fetch some paper and charcoal right away, if you'd like," she says.

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2011, 01:28:27 AM »
>"I would. Please."

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2011, 01:38:55 AM »
>"I would. Please."

>"Of course," she says, then gets up and briskly exits the room. You can hear her walking down the hallway in the direction of the common area.

« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2011, 01:46:06 AM »
>Look out the window until she gets back. Dying or no, it's good to see the sun again.

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2011, 01:55:15 AM »
>Look out the window until she gets back. Dying or no, it's good to see the sun again.

>You turn your head and look out the window while you wait. It's at the point in the day where the light of the sunset is most brilliant, filling the sky with an orange glow. It looks like it was a somewhat dreary day, though; grey clouds hang torpidly over much of the sky. Everything seems so... normal. It almost feels like it somehow shouldn't.
>After a short time, Ichirin returns with the requested materials in hand.
>"Now, just hold out the sword and let me unwrap it," she says, placing the charcoal and paper on the nightstand. "The inscription is on the hilt."

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2011, 01:58:49 AM »
>Do as she says.

Narouge

• Narry the Corruptor
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2011, 04:00:59 AM »
sorry about vanishing. a few things poped up in life and instead boring you with details, basically was people leaving and me getting a new job. I just start reading back up again.
"there is a Fine line between genius and insanity. I see it every day running screaming past it with scissors."
-8-bit theater, Red Mage, taken as personal saying.

Narouge

• Narry the Corruptor
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:23 PM »
huh that's a wonderful thing to come back to. oh well then. sorry about double post by the way. just noting i finished catching up last night.
"there is a Fine line between genius and insanity. I see it every day running screaming past it with scissors."
-8-bit theater, Red Mage, taken as personal saying.

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2011, 04:08:03 AM »
(Keine apologizes for any headaches this unwinding of history may have caused)

>Do as she says.

>You pull your right arm free of the sheets and extend it. Cloth is wrapped tightly around your hand gripping the hilt and tied, while the blade is also swaddled in thick cloth, no doubt to prevent you from injuring yourself with it while you slept. Ichirin sets to undoing the binding around your hand, unspooling the cloth and then pulling the length of it away. The sudden freedom only highlights how cramped your hand had been. Then she unwinds the layers of cloth sheathing the blade enough to pull them several inches upwards and fully expose the guard.
>As she does this, you become aware of detailing on the guard that you'd been too preoccupied to notice earlier. On both sides of its black surface are lines of what appears to be lettering, cast in gold relief; eight angular spokes of it curve outward from the guard's center to its edge. The more you stare at them, the more they seem suggestive of a spider's form, the contrast of gold and black vaguely reminiscent of the banding on the spider youkai's own arachnid limbs. The characters themselves are smoothly angular and crafted with obvious precision, but utterly unfamiliar to you.
>While you stare at the lettering, Ichirin takes the paper and pulls the blade partially through it such that the guard is full covered by it, then takes charcoal in hand and starts to produce the rubbing. The tight space and interposition of the blade make the process a little awkward, but you can still see traces of the pattern steadily emerging on the paper.
>"I guess you can't read them, either, can you," she says as she works the charcoal against the guard's surface.

huh that's a wonderful thing to come back to. oh well then. sorry about double post by the way. just noting i finished catching up last night.

Welcome back!

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2011, 04:21:12 AM »
>"It's not any language I reckognize. Don't think I've ever even seen it before."
>Now that we have more time to sit and think and focus, can we use our treasure sense to determine anything more about the special properties of this sword? Or even what kind of metal it's made from?
>"Kinda gives me a 'spider' vibe, though. Be interesting to see what Rinnosuke makes of this thing. Or Marisa, for that matter, this is the kinda thing a Seeker lives to find." Although hopefully next time we find a treasure like this, the fallout from it will be somewhat less dire.

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2011, 04:38:25 AM »
>"It's not any language I reckognize. Don't think I've ever even seen it before."
>Now that we have more time to sit and think and focus, can we use our treasure sense to determine anything more about the special properties of this sword? Or even what kind of metal it's made from?
>"Kinda gives me a 'spider' vibe, though. Be interesting to see what Rinnosuke makes of this thing. Or Marisa, for that matter, this is the kinda thing a Seeker lives to find." Although hopefully next time we find a treasure like this, the fallout from it will be somewhat less dire.

>"Hmmm.... Well, let's hope your guildmaster can recognize it, at least," she says.
>Your treasure sense doesn't enable you to understand the specific nature or magical properties of an object, but simply to detect the presence of something which possesses them. In some ways, you suppose that's similar to being able to identify that there is writing on the sword, without this giving you any idea what it actually says. In terms of materials, you are inclined to think the blade is made of ordinary (though high quality) steel, and the inscription is quite likely real gold, but you could get a more detailed metallurgical profile if you cracked the dowsing rods out. Though that would probably require letting go of your grip on the weapon...
>Ichirin pauses and looks at the rubbing, nearly complete. "Now that you mention it, it does rather look like a spider. And I'm sure this is just the first of many," she adds; something about her words sound strangely wan.
>Ichirin stops and takes another look at her work, then nods and exchanges it for a new piece of paper. She slits it on the blade, then, with somewhat greater awkwardness than the guard's obverse, starts making a rubbing of the other side.

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2011, 04:49:46 AM »
>"If I could have stopped the fighting to come, Ichirin, I would have."
>Would we be able to hold a dowsing rod in one hand and the other in our tail, and get the same result as though we'd used two hands?
>No need to tell her to be careful around that blade, Nazrin. Ichirin knows what she's doing.

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2011, 04:57:22 AM »
>"If I could have stopped the fighting to come, Ichirin, I would have."
>Would we be able to hold a dowsing rod in one hand and the other in our tail, and get the same result as though we'd used two hands?
>No need to tell her to be careful around that blade, Nazrin. Ichirin knows what she's doing.

>"So... you think it's inevitable that she'll attack here, then?" Ichirin asks, frowning.
>You'd never really given it much thought before. It might be possible to get at least a crude approximation, though it certainly wouldn't be as good as doing it the normal way.
>She does seem to be taking a reasonable degree of caution, and is now working on the side facing the hilt, in any case.