Author Topic: Happy Birthday, MotK!  (Read 30366 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Happy Birthday, MotK!
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:45:51 PM »
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Nah, it was probably just the worst of times.

Last spring, Maidens of the Kaleidoscope was a shambles. The quick succession of creepy "Who would you sleep with?" threads had left the forum's reputation in the dumpster and the guest-viewable Idiot Central, as it was called then, had attracted scorn from people all around the community. And RC1 was being twitchy as usual... and the time was ripe to make a clean break.

And so, last spring, TSO took the drastic step of trashing the old forum and creating a new forum in its place. Still on RC1, TSO maintained it for almost a full year, backporting all the fixes to RC1, not patching or upgrading to RC2, until three weeks ago to the day, April 1st, when we finally had to take the forums down for a full day to upgrade straight from RC1 to RC3.

In that time, MotK has gained two thousand members-- not all of them are active, but we've a good amount of regulars. Mostly people who came over from the old forums, until the new MotK picked up steam. As of this writing, we have 2359 accounts registered here, no small number considering how small the Western Touhou Community is.

And what's more, not only do we have members, we have friends. Even counting only the time since the switch to the new forums, a full year getting to know you all has been great. The relationship between us all isn't that of distant admins, indifferent moderators, and rebellious members; it's one based on trust, and while we on mod staff make mistakes and end up losing some of that trust, we're still honoured that you give us second chances. We're here to serve you, to keep a well-run forum, to keep this place a fun place for everyone. And we hope that you haven't found this place lacking in a sense of community, camaraderie, and friendship.

Ah, but while I could go on and on like the crazy historian I am, I'll cut myself short. The words aren't as important as the message, and the message is: Dear MotK members, we've worked hard for a full year now, and longer still, to give you guys a forum where you can enjoy Touhou, meet new friends, and have fun. We started this forum on April 21st, 2009, and now it's (been) April 21st, 2010. A full year rockin' out with all you wonderful people. It's now the best of times, and it's been a great ride.

This forum was created specifically for a good laugh, and for the sake of MotK's one-year anniversary. Let's put our differences aside and celebrate, shall we?

This has been resized so as to not open myself up for a broom beatdown. But don't get us wrong, it's n-not like we like you or anything!

Anyway: Happy Birthday, Maidens of the Kaleidoscope. It's been a privilege to serve you all. It's been a year o' fun, and I hope to see many more! :toot:

Matsuri

Re: Happy Birthday, MotK!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:51:52 PM »
I'd also like to state that I am very happy to be a part of this community, and I cannot thank you all enough for accepting me into it. I've only been around since late August of last year, and I feel like I've been here for ages. You all are what keeps me coming back every day. I've made many friends here already, and I hope to make many more.

Thank you, everyone, for everything.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:54:13 PM by Matsuri♡Sakuragi »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:58:54 PM »
I've certainly grown to love this community for a number of reasons. I talk with many of you on a daily basis, and even met one of you. A lot of you I consider friends, and like pretty much all of you. I can't say the same for any other site I've ever been on. It's a pleasure to spend time here, with everyone.

Not to mention the fact that the past year here has helped generate my writing habits again. And the way I think a real writer's community is burgeoning in PSL. But I could say the same for any of the other boards, too. They're all, to me, largely well-coalesced sub-communities within the site, each with its own understanding of how they want their community to be. This I've really seen happening over the past year especially.

I look forward to spending time here with you all as this site strengthens and grows. Thanks, everybody.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:01:01 AM »
Hi.

Y'all are cool.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:27:56 AM »
I guess i'll round out the Janitor procession~

I joined right around August/September like Matsuri did, and I would have never expected then that MotK and its members would grow to be such a large presence in my life. Among you all are my good friends, buddies, secret lovers, and a whole host of siblings. And i'm sure i'll only get closer to more of you, the longer I spend on this weird Touhou-subspace-forum-community-diasphora-whatever-it-is.

So i'd like to extend a big thank you to everyone that has made this community possible, from the artists in AAA to the writers in PSL, from the programmers in Rika's to the gamers in RPG, from the people that actually come here to talk about Touhou stuff in TARC and HME, to those nutjobs in CPMC that infected me with more than my fair share of idiocy.

It makes my heart swell to be able to act as a steward of this forum and community, and I hope that I can continue to serve you all for as long as I can still clutch this broom in my hands. o>
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:24:50 PM by Nobu~♪ »
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 03:11:12 AM »
Clearly Mint and I aren't doing our jobs properly if people are actually happy to be here.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »
The quick succession of creepy "Who would you sleep with?" threads had left the forum's reputation in the dumpster
:3

* Suikama runs

Gpop

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 08:38:23 PM »
I feel awesome being able to remember all of last year and the time before that.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 08:45:51 PM »
Huzzah~!  Happy birthday, MotK!  Here's to many more!

* Moerin liberally distributes hugs, cake and funny hats~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:47:27 PM »
Has it really been that long (*realizes he's already been here for 2 o3 years...*? Anyway, MoTK, you rule for being made up mostly of nice, honest and creative people, and giving me and the other authors a nice place to put our works.

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 08:48:36 PM »
Happy birthday, MotK!

* Thatsonnn Dedeguy distributes exploding cakes.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 08:50:25 PM »
~ Happy Birthday, MotK! ~

To many more years of this wonderful place. Cheers~

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 08:54:15 PM »
Happy birthday, MotK.

I honestly just came here to plug my project, figuring that there was no way on earth I'd ever abandon my main forum, much less visit a second one regularly.

Now I visit my former forum maybe once a day. My new place to spam refresh is here~

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »
Happy birthday, MotK! Let us stand firm as a community in the years to come!

Gpop

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 08:57:27 PM »
Its funny. I still remember getting myself probated the day after. <3 Trance.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 08:59:31 PM »
This is the first forum I feel I can say I am a somewhat active member of the community. It's also a nice change of pace from the other forums I visit.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 09:00:49 PM »
Clearly Mint and I aren't doing our jobs properly if people are actually happy to be here.

Tsuntsun.

Also I thought Matsuri and Nobu were way older than me as forum members. Guess I was wrong  :*
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 09:06:19 PM »

Happy Birthday, MotK!!!

I love this site, I love this community and I love all the people in it. MotK has been a great source of entertainment, discussion and speculation for me, and it still is. I dare say this may be my favorite site on the net. I hope to keep contributing to this site as much as possible (even though cursed school work is holding me off from doing anything big....) I would also want to apologize for all the stupid, wrong or douchy stuff I've done this year on MotK. Like my Shinki fantardness from a few days ago. I hope you can forgive me.

This is the first community where I feel so close to all the members. Not only in our love for Touhou, but so many other things too. This place is so tolerant and kind. You're all like a second family to me. A quirky, chaotic family, but still a family. I love you all so much.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:12:55 PM by OkashiiKisei »

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
:GiantEnemyRabbitApproval:

Happy Birthday, MOTK. :V

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 09:11:49 PM »
Man, I fall for these things too easily. :3

It's been a kickass 10 months here so far and it looks like it's going to get even better, so happy birthday, MotK. :V
Let's fight.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Toasty

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 09:15:25 PM »
Happy birthday MoTK.
Disclaimer: The above link is not safe for work due to danbooru ads, and is not safe for Rei fans due to risk of nosebleed

And then some yuki.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:28:28 PM by Ode An Die Toast »

Matsuri

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 09:19:45 PM »
Quote from: Toast
oversized image

Eh, it's cute. I'll let it slide for once.

Toasty

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 09:27:54 PM »
Eh, it's cute. I'll let it slide for once.

Bleh, I told tinypic to resize that to 640x480, not 547x639.

* Toast goes off to fix that

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »
Nothing says MotK like my old sig: You are all WEIRDOS!

Happy birthday, and rock on!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Drake

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 09:37:05 PM »
you guys are
Spoiler:
retards
i
Spoiler:
hate
you all <3

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 09:40:53 PM »
you guys are
Spoiler:
retards
i
Spoiler:
hate
you all <3

So much love~ <3

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 09:54:35 PM »
you're all ok

Spoiler:
Nah, this is one of the most stable internet communities I've ever been a member of. gj.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 10:01:02 PM »
happy birthday motk. thanks for letting me be a part of this wonderful community >=)

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »

B+.

Thank you, Ruro.

EDIT: Extra credit A++ and a gold star for moving over the planning thread, even with the few conspicuous edits - especially the post about which threads here are sincere (even if it's generally easy to tell).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:03:02 PM by KitsunΣ-mouse »
There was something here once. Wonder what...