Author Topic: Let's Tour MotK Fanworks Listing - Now Complete! Second post: Library Catalogue  (Read 257471 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: Let's Tour MotK Fanworks Listing - Now Accepting Summaries!
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2010, 07:05:21 AM »
Oh? I thought it was automatic. So you guys have to do that by hand, man, that must be a lot of work with all the members here.

Automatic? Oh god I only wish. We have to do this stuff manually. =_=

And I will definitely start summarizing today, can't stand behind when everyone is working so hard.

I fall asleep during the day and I work at night! I should be back in the morning with summaries, yay. Thankfully, only two of my assigned works go over one page. \o\ And now it is midnight and I'm headin' off. I'll trust this to you in the meanwhile~

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2010, 11:21:01 AM »
*A few minutes after the squad headed out*

* Sakana sits around and drinks tea as he watches the squad members dash into the darkness

Puh, with everyone working so hard, I guess I can take a break for now, eh?
They won't be back for a while anywa-
*Roukanken, Chaore come back from the dark, covered in scratches and bites from the fanworks, but holding the finished summaries in their hands
Wha? Wh....what are you doing here? Any questions on your orders?

Huh, you've already finished your works? You've gotta be kidding, show me the.... holy hell, you really did it.
Uh, yeah, good job guys.

What, me? Eh, no, no, I'm not sitting around doing nothing.
I...I was just about to... depart, yeah.
Really, don't look so doubtful, I'm as good as done, yeah.
* Sakana looks at his still unattended list nervously
Oh, fine, I'll go, I'll go.
* Sakana dashes off into the darkness

------------------------------

Alright, I finally managed to get half of my list done, and I also received summaries by Tyltalis.
Updating the list accordingly now, keep up the good work everyone  :D

EDIT: And list updated again, good job Rou.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:31:35 PM by Moe Moe Sakana-Katana »

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2010, 02:31:27 PM »
I hope you don't mind, I'm dumping all my summaries into one list that I'll send when I finish them.

Also ew Patchy :C

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »
I hope you don't mind, I'm dumping all my summaries into one list that I'll send when I finish them.
No problem. Just do it at your own pace.

Also ew Patchy :C
Well, you'll get a Koakuma for today then, though you might not like that as well :3

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2010, 03:54:59 PM »
MISSION UPDATE: When looking through my assignment list and checking the works on there just now, I realized that I messed up on UsuallyDead's works.

I assumed that all his threads were for one of his stories, but saw now that his works (except one iirc) are all part of 'Retelling of Oriental Stories', which I listed as a work in itself.

As far as I can see it right now, not all of the works in this series had respective threads here, so only some were assigned for summarizing. There's ten works in total that fall under 'Retelling of Oriental Stories'. I will see to it that I update the list as soon as possible with all of UD's works in the series and will leave them for anyone to summarize.

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2010, 04:12:34 PM »
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I'm assigned assistant librarian duty until Ruro's back from being really, really busy. So if you need anything modified around here, just let me know ^^ Bonk me on the head if I'm ignoring you. You can either PM me or find me on #touhou-meido, #shrinemaiden or #ijiyatsu.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »
Ahhh, it's the library chief!
Quick everyone, look busy.

I said it before, but it's good to know we have your support, Sukima  :)

Also, poor Sakura, I hope you get all the stuff that's keeping you busy done soon.

For everyone else:
'Retelling of Oriental Stories' has been divided into its respective stories and added to the list.
Except for the last three stories, none of those are assigned to anyone.

I'd like to ask Rou and Chaore to have a look at these, if you two aren't too busy. It'd help a lot if you could.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:00:41 PM by Moe Moe Sakana-Katana »

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »
My reputation precedes me - it's been said that I may as well have read everything here, but, truthfully, I haven't - I only recently joined MotK and started prowling the fanworks forum. I haven't had a chance to dig through the earlier pages of the works, and now that everything is being shuffled around, I'm starting to prowl through it.

I'm pretty sure I already mentioned, for example, that I've never read any the stories on my assignment list yet.
That is rapidly changing, however.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2010, 07:46:22 PM »
Sounds like you're doing well, Esifex. Good to hear~

List updated with one new work.
It seems Tengukami had decided we have too little to do and keeps writing new stories  :V

EDIT: I'll take on the summary for that one myself right now.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:51:30 PM by Moe Moe Sakana-Katana »

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2010, 11:47:16 PM »
For everyone else:
'Retelling of Oriental Stories' has been divided into its respective stories and added to the list.
Except for the last three stories, none of those are assigned to anyone.

I'd like to ask Rou and Chaore to have a look at these, if you two aren't too busy. It'd help a lot if you could.

I'll try and get at least one or two down tonight. Feeling rather mefh, so may sack early.

Anything left tommorow I'll get straight on.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2010, 11:54:27 PM »
To clarify: I've (at some point) read through Reinterpretation of Scarlet Devil, Requiem Bibliophilic, Recovery of Beloved Matriarch, Repose and Inclusive Power, Remorse in Secession's Nobility and Recount and Full Moon Predecessor.

Should I take care of those, while you handle the rest? I'll need to take a quick look-over to remind me of it, but it shouldn't take me that long.

Chaore

« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2010, 12:04:54 AM »
To clarify: I've (at some point) read through Reinterpretation of Scarlet Devil, Requiem Bibliophilic, Recovery of Beloved Matriarch, Repose and Inclusive Power, Remorse in Secession's Nobility and Recount and Full Moon Predecessor.

Should I take care of those, while you handle the rest? I'll need to take a quick look-over to remind me of it, but it shouldn't take me that long.

Sure. Saves me some trouble.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2010, 12:48:10 AM »
Welp, done on my end.

*flump*

Mukyuu...-_-;

Chaore

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:21 AM »
I feel like utter crap and can hardly type a post no less a summary

i'll get on ud's things tommorow.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2010, 06:27:17 AM »
Great work you two. Thanks a lot  :D

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »
Touhou Another Origins: The Yama of Xanadu
Author: A-F
Genre: Drama, mystery
Summary: The alternate telling of the Yama of Gensokyo: Shikieiki Yamaxanadu's life before Gensokyo. Entwining the legacy of Old Hell, before the downsizing and formation of Makai and Higan, to the disappearance of Oni-kind and centering on the legacy of the Yama who will become the unsung heroine of all times. A worthy read if you are patient, and certainly if you like Shikieiki and lots of drama.

am I doing this right?
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2010, 08:39:40 AM »
am I doing this right?
Unfortunately, no.

As much as we appreciate your contribution, we decided that summaries are not to be done by the authors of the works themselves (it should be in the opening post as well).
That is to assure the summaries are not biased in any way, please understand.

However, we at least can use the genres you have given us, so it helps a bit.  :)

EDIT:
Is it just me or is the library more busy than before since we've started our work?
List updated with new work #097
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:44:38 AM by Moe Moe Sakana-Katana »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »
It is busier. Having our own forum was a great idea.

Also, currently outlining a new story. Work gives me lots of free time, heh. My method is:

1. Write outline. 2. Handwrite story with pencil and paper. Handwriting takes longer than typing, but that's the point - helps me really think about the story as I write, making changes as needed. Often, this means trimming plot details out. And using pencil is cleaner when it comes to changes.
3. Type it up. Minor edits are done at this stage.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2010, 09:42:55 AM »
Also, currently outlining a new story. Work gives me lots of free time, heh.

I'm looking forward to that, you've got a nice style of writing  :D
I'll finally get back to my disaster story as well once this week's over. Dealing with all the fiction here makes me want to write myself.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »
Hehe. Whole reason I'm writing Everlasting Wanderers is because I'm stuck with writers block in the story Acied and Sara are actually from, so I figured I'd have some fun fleshing out two of the minor characters that I like the most.

Also, Touhou!

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »
Announcement to the Librarian crew:

While I was working on my assigned summaries, the need for different "status" terms occurred to me. I didn't want the only two statuses to be Incomplete and Complete; that doesn't give me enough information. So here's a thought:

Complete: Exactly what it sounds like. Note that this is different from Ended.
Ended: When the author posts a final update, saying that "I will no longer update this". Valesta's Thought's End is a good example.
Stalled: When the writer says they're taking a break and doesn't come back to the piece for a month or longer. Note that the only thing that separates this from Ended is that they at least state their intent to return. However, if this continues for six months, it goes to Permanent Hiatus.
Incomplete: Fics with a constant rate of updating. Updating at least once a month is enough to receive this designation.
Sporadically Updated: This designation exists because of short story threads, which most writers tend to update whenever the hell they feel like it. (I know I'm like this, and Rou, Benny1, etc tend to show signs of this too.)
Halted: When a fic is forcibly ended because the writer has been banned. Can and should overlap with Permanent Hiatus.
Permanent Hiatus: Should only be given to works that have not updated in six months or longer. It's a politically correct way of saying "this fic is dead". :|

Is this a good idea, yes or no?

Chaore

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2010, 08:14:13 PM »
Announcement to the Librarian crew:

While I was working on my assigned summaries, the need for different "status" terms occurred to me. I didn't want the only two statuses to be Incomplete and Complete; that doesn't give me enough information. So here's a thought:

Complete: Exactly what it sounds like. Note that this is different from Ended.
Ended: When the author posts a final update, saying that "I will no longer update this". Valesta's Thought's End is a good example.
Stalled: When the writer says they're taking a break and doesn't come back to the piece for a month or longer. Note that the only thing that separates this from Ended is that they at least state their intent to return. However, if this continues for six months, it goes to Permanent Hiatus.
Incomplete: Fics with a constant rate of updating. Updating at least once a month is enough to receive this designation.
Sporadically Updated: This designation exists because of short story threads, which most writers tend to update whenever the hell they feel like it. (I know I'm like this, and Rou, Benny1, etc tend to show signs of this too.)
Halted: When a fic is forcibly ended because the writer has been banned. Can and should overlap with Permanent Hiatus.
Permanent Hiatus: Should only be given to works that have not updated in six months or longer. It's a politically correct way of saying "this fic is dead". :|

Is this a good idea, yes or no?

Good. :V

I kinda did this, using 'Unfinished', 'In Progress', and 'Finished'. Totally support a formal version.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »
Yep, those new statuses are usefull. We should use those from now on.

Tengukami

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2010, 09:03:35 PM »
I think the statuses are a good idea. Could I suggest simplifying them though? Some are quite similar - e.g., Stalled, Permanent Hiatus and Halted. How about:

Complete - The story is done.
Ended Unfinished - The story is left undone and will not be completed.
To Be Continued - The story is left undone and will be completed later.
Updated - The story is updated, regularly, semi-regularly, or occasionally.

?

Just my two cents.

EDIT: I know I'm not a librarian and yet I keep piping up in here. Hope I'm not butting in on staff stuff only.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:06:31 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »
Every opinion is gratiously accepted and treated equally, Tengukami.

Librarians is just the name of the unlucky persons who were the fastest to react to Ruro's and my asking for help and were hit with loads of work in response  :V

Yes, the categories may be too detailed, but I think we should see how many fics fall under all the categories Ruro made once we summarized everything.
And if one category only contains two or three works then, we may drop it and add those to another similar category.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »
excellent suggestions

Sure, those sound good. Sakana and I will probably work on streamlining all of this once we get all the summaries in. And yes, feel free to give us suggestions; a good idea is a good idea regardless of who it comes from. I just used "to the librarian crew" as an indication that these people in particular should pay attention, but anyone is free to give us ideas. We want audience participation, after all; we're doing this for the readers' benefit to begin with.

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2010, 09:51:46 PM »
I think that Stalled and Permanent Hiatus are distinct enough that they ought to get their own separate entries.  Might also motivate authors to get back to writing if they don't want their work to be listed as dead. :3

Also, I think it might be a good idea to expand the Length parameter beyond the current three values.  The number of pages it takes up in Microsoft Word would be more useful.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Tengukami

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2010, 09:54:37 PM »
Or Word Count, which is pretty universal.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »
I said it before, the lengths were decided arbitrarily :V

I'm welcoming every idea on how to describe the lengths more objectively.
From your two suggestions, I like word count more, because I myself wouldn't have any idea how long one page in MS Word is.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »
List updated again.
1) Ruro added a new work
2) More finished summaries have been marked.
    UD's 'Retelling' Series is done, thanks Rou and Chaos!