Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)  (Read 46613 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)
« Reply #930 on: December 08, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »
>Shake head.

« Reply #931 on: December 08, 2015, 05:56:39 AM »
>Shake head.

>"That's good." She gives you a sheepish smile. "I tried not to make too much noise."

« Reply #932 on: December 08, 2015, 06:09:43 AM »
>Our brain didn't slosh out with a head shake? We're in better shape than we think.
>"You're good."
>Take another drink, then look around. Is there a stream of some kind around we can stick our face into for a bit?

« Reply #933 on: December 08, 2015, 06:34:44 AM »
>Our brain didn't slosh out with a head shake? We're in better shape than we think.
>"You're good."
>Take another drink, then look around. Is there a stream of some kind around we can stick our face into for a bit?

>You weren't especially vigorous, but at least you're not reeling with dizziness anyway, you guess.
>"Good."
>You take another sip of water and survey your surroundings, or at least as much of them as you can still see. There doesn't seem to be any water nearby, but that's not really a surprise; past the Grau, this part of the wilderness didn't have a great many bodies of water to go around. And you're maybe starting to regret not finding a less lumpy spot of ground to collapse upon....

« Reply #934 on: December 08, 2015, 06:49:03 AM »
>Any signs of Kyouko having cooked breakfast?

« Reply #935 on: December 08, 2015, 06:56:37 AM »
>Any signs of Kyouko having cooked breakfast?

>Not that you can either see or smell. She may have snacked on some of the food she brought, but there's no signs of anything cooked.

« Reply #936 on: December 08, 2015, 07:16:00 AM »
>Then we'd best get started before we lose anymore daylight.
>Once we coax some more life back into us, do what we need to to prepare for more hiking.

« Reply #937 on: December 08, 2015, 08:41:47 AM »
>Then we'd best get started before we lose anymore daylight.
>Once we coax some more life back into us, do what we need to to prepare for more hiking.

>After a few more minutes of feeling weighted down to the ground, you drag yourself upright, force down a few morsels of food, and resume moving westward.

>The day's journey is... not as good as yesterday's. Whatever energy you managed to save up on the ferry is long gone now, and only a couple hours into the day's journey, you already feel like you're dragging your feet forward. Breaks are frequent, breath is labored, muscles throb. If time were not so vital, you would honestly have packed it in by lunchtime. Instead, you nibble on a tiny bit of cheese, splash some water on your face, and try to look less dead on your feet than you're staring to feel.
>Kyouko is... worried. Though she still puts on a cheerful face, the cracks in it are showing more and more. You're not eating right, you're stumbling too often, you're too slow to respond to her words, and too easily confused by them. She lends you her arm, which helps a little with one of those problems, but makes it even harder to pretend you're okay. And when she looks at you with those eyes....
>You don't have time to think about that. You don't have mind to think about anything, really. Just keep moving, Nazrin. Just keep moving.

>By nightfall, you're growing uncertain of your bearings. Even obvious landmarks are hard to see without Kyouko's help, and your navigational skills are being slowly devoured along with the rest of your mind. Sometimes, you think you can even feel it happen - parts of yourself being lost. And when you find yourself staring at your compass for several long seconds before you can remember which way is marked west, you have to force back tears. You're not going to make it, are you? After all this, after all this struggle, all you're going to accomplish is dying out here in the middle of nowhere. You may not know where you are right now, but one thing you are sure of is that you haven't covered nearly enough ground. Another five days of this? A week? It feels like a cruel joke. The universe just wants to torment you one last time before it finally kills you.

>"Are you... alright?" Kyouko asks softly.

« Reply #938 on: December 08, 2015, 10:25:50 AM »
>"I.... I don't know..."

« Reply #939 on: December 08, 2015, 10:35:18 AM »
>"I.... I don't know..."

>"What is it?" she asks. "Is there anything I can do?"
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:56:16 AM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #940 on: December 08, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
>"I...."
>Pause, breathe. "I'm.. having some trouble figuring out just where we are."

« Reply #941 on: December 08, 2015, 11:05:04 AM »
>"I...."
>Pause, breathe. "I'm.. having some trouble figuring out just where we are."

>"Oh." A pause. "Oh." A frown, then an attempt at a smile. "Well, it's still mostly west of here, right? Even if you don't know exactly where we are."

« Reply #942 on: December 08, 2015, 11:24:45 AM »
>"That's not the point! I, I'm falling apart, Kyouko. I- No. No, I haven't come this far to start despairing now. I made a promise, that I'd come home. I can't let her down now, not when I'm so close."
>"...I mean, I can't let THEM down. Ichirin, Marisa, Neu, Minoriko. And, you. Not a chance in all the hells there are that I'd drag you this far for nothing."
>"Sorry, Kyouko, I... I guess I, had a moment of weakness."

« Reply #943 on: December 08, 2015, 11:34:32 AM »
>"That's not the point! I, I'm falling apart, Kyouko. I- No. No, I haven't come this far to start despairing now. I made a promise, that I'd come home. I can't let her down now, not when I'm so close."
>"...I mean, I can't let THEM down. Ichirin, Marisa, Neu, Minoriko. And, you. Not a chance in all the hells there are that I'd drag you this far for nothing."
>"Sorry, Kyouko, I... I guess I, had a moment of weakness."

>"Well, I think you deserve a few of those after all you've gone through! And don't worry about me, whatever happens." She grins, and thrusts an arm at the sky. "I can take it!"
>"But," she adds in a softer tone, "maybe we should... call it a night for now?"

« Reply #944 on: December 08, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
>All doubt and determination to one side, are we realistically in any shape to make anymore headway tonight?

« Reply #945 on: December 08, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »
>All doubt and determination to one side, are we realistically in any shape to make anymore headway tonight?

>You could... walk a few more steps, you assume? You don't know if you should. At the moment, 'headway' doesn't feel very realistic either tonight or tomorrow.

« Reply #946 on: December 08, 2015, 12:08:41 PM »
>Tomorrow is tomorrow's problem. Least we still HAVE a tomorrow left.
>Nod to Kyouko. "Definately."

« Reply #947 on: December 08, 2015, 12:11:04 PM »
>Tomorrow is tomorrow's problem. Least we still HAVE a tomorrow left.
>Nod to Kyouko. "Definately."

>You hope.
>She returns your nod. "Definitely." Then she scans your surroundings and points to the north. "Looks kinda mossy over there, if you think you can manage another hundred feet or so?"

« Reply #948 on: December 08, 2015, 12:29:12 PM »
>In an attempt to sound more game than we probably are, "I can try."

« Reply #949 on: December 08, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »
>In an attempt to sound more game than we probably are, "I can try."

>You say you can try. That remains technically true, after all.
>Kyouko offers her hand to you. "Here."

« Reply #950 on: December 09, 2015, 02:23:28 PM »
>Take her hand.
>Come to think of it, how often have we done that on this little vacation? Can we even remember?

« Reply #951 on: December 09, 2015, 08:10:12 PM »
>Take her hand.
>Come to think of it, how often have we done that on this little vacation? Can we even remember?

>You take Kyouko's hand as she ushers you over to tonight's campsite. You've relied on her so much this trip, at first for positivity, and then functional eyesight, and now physical support. If you'd come this far alone.... Well, at least there'll be someone with you when you die. It's a small comfort.

>Kyouko lays out your sleeping bag for you this time and all you have to do is fall asleep inside it, which you succeed at approximately as soon as you stop moving. Your dreams are less memorable this time - a small mercy - but you still wake up feeling battered and exhausted. Did the rest even help? Maybe a little. Not enough. Need to keep moving.

>The day passes, and then the next. You don't think you're truly aware of your surroundings anymore - at least most of the time. Hours pass in a haze of delirium, broken only by a few transient moments of lucidity you use to confirm you're still on the right path. You're glad you explained the notes on your map to Kyouko when you had the chance; it's... hard to explain things now. It's hard even to think. You struggle to gag down a small bite of cheese for lunch, though some distant part of you knows this isn't nearly enough to sustain you.

>Your body is shutting down. All the faith in that sword and your medicine can't hold the blight back any longer. This is the last of you, a blackened husk shambling mindlessly forward, barely able to see the ground beneath your own feet. How long have you been walking? Why are you even here? It's hard to remember. Someone is speaking. Who are they talking to?
>You feel much too hot. Or was it cold? Need to put on some different clothes. These aren't... aren't right.
>Why won't your legs stop trembling?

« Reply #952 on: December 11, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »
>Just shaky, or are they numb and shaky?

« Reply #953 on: December 11, 2015, 08:08:49 AM »
>Just shaky, or are they numb and shaky?

>Numb....? ....no, no you don't think so. Not numb. Numb feels... different. You're too cold to be numb. But then why are they shaking? It makes it hard to walk. Need to keep walking. Always need to keep walking.

« Reply #954 on: December 11, 2015, 08:24:43 AM »
>Focus. That's what we need, focus. Something to focus on, that isn't body rot.
>A thought. Have we heard Kyouko singing before or after we left? And if she, was she any good at it?

« Reply #955 on: December 11, 2015, 08:42:24 AM »
>Focus. That's what we need, focus. Something to focus on, that isn't body rot.
>A thought. Have we heard Kyouko singing before or after we left? And if she, was she any good at it?

>Focus. Focus. Need to keep walking. Need to keep focused. Good idea.
>Singing....? Was she... yeah, she said she was in a choir once... right? That sounds right, somehow. But you don't think... Birdsong. Yeah, birdsong - that was it. Does that... count as singing? Does humming count as singing?

« Reply #956 on: December 11, 2015, 08:51:19 AM »
>Assuming our voice still works, "Kyouko?"

« Reply #957 on: December 11, 2015, 09:13:04 AM »
>Assuming our voice still works, "Kyouko?"

>Your voice feels quiet and slow, your tongue thick, but words still come out of your mouth when you tell them to.
>"Yes, what is it?" she answers instantly. You are almost startled by how close her voice is.

« Reply #958 on: December 11, 2015, 09:40:24 AM »
>"I need you to do something for me."

« Reply #959 on: December 11, 2015, 09:49:18 AM »
>"I need you to do something for me."

>"Just say the word."