Author Topic: Are you a DARK FLAME MASTER enough dude to CHUUNIBYOU this thread?  (Read 71122 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Are you a DARK FLAME MASTER enough dude to CHUUNIBYOU this thread?
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »

So I finally got caught up on episodes 4 through 8, and it just keeps getting better.

The creators could have coasted on the comedy effect for the entire series if they wanted to and produced a solid work. Instead, they've pleasantly surprised me in now bringing their focus upon the dynamic of a character locked in fantasy as a means of protecting her from pain (Rikka), a cold realist who won't allow anyone else to entertain fantasy (Touka), and the protagonist who can sympathize with them both, Yuuta.

The show clearly sympathizes with the idea that fantasy is often a preferable alternative to the way reality works, unapologetically. Touka may as well represent the spectre of adulthood more than adulthood itself - even Rikka's friends know how to relax and enjoy themselves, even if some of them aren't totally chuuni.

The scene on the train onwards had me literally fighting back tears. Reality can often be a cruel, heartless monster. Retreating into fantasy might not be the most mature way of dealing with it, but it's definitely understandable. What brings us out of it isn't someone slapping us around with a soup ladle yelling at us to suck it up and deal with it - we come to accept reality when we find people who really understand us and accept us for who we are. It's how we deal with the world. It makes living in it bearable.

I'm really hoping these two do end up together. It's a relationship that would be good for both of them, especially Rikka.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
What also hit me in the heart was the reason why Yuuta became a chuuni.
It's because it's the same thing I've been feeling since I was 10, and ever since, even now. How I felt that I'm different from others because I found their normal life to be boring, because I found that I do not like doing what everyone else does, I could not understand why people find all those weird things like partying and going out to just hang out and stuff to be not boring. When I realised this when I was 10, I said to myself, whispering to the wall "I do not belong to this world." And that's how everything started, how I started to distance myself from others and trying to find my place - and yet, I only found people who always did the same things as others, who always liked things the way I do not like, and people who hated that I was not like them. And it's there even now, even when I now know that others like me may exist, but not here where I am. And I still fear that even those who are like I am dislike me as well, since that is starting to get obvious. Indeed, when an episode of this anime ends, I realize that I can feel alone again, even though I long forgone that emotion.

It's weird like that. But at least this anime is also a good beacon in my newest self-reflection process, that focuses on knowing my old selves better and trying to find the invisible subtleties in my life that led to the "defects" in my personality. It makes me resonate with the person I was back then.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:00:33 AM by Solais »

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2012, 08:29:24 AM »
Man, this anime really gets me in the nostalgia gland. Not only the obvious ones like how chuuni I was and I'm still is, but how I loved these silly simple romantic comedies back then. Not to mention how similar this is to my dreams of romance back in the day before I too have accepted the harsh reality. Man, dunno if it makes me depressed or makes me feel old when I'm still young. Or if it makes me feel jaded.

Btw, that gun spring thing reminded me how cool it would be if I had a Hidden Assassin Blade. :P
you mean one of these? Yeah well, I totally want one myself.

and yeah I know right, the train scene brought onto me like (pardon ahem...) a train of feelings. These vivid images of me distancing myself because I know I won't fit in, and bashfully tried my best to do so later on in a wrong way... and then only to realize: well, reality sucks. I guess I will just have to bear with it until I die.
The thing is that, I cannot help but envy Rikka having Yuuta who can understand and somehow accept her, why oh why we never gonna get a Yuuta of our own...

And I still fear that even those who are like I am dislike me as well, since that is starting to get obvious. Indeed, when an episode of this anime ends, I realize that I can feel alone again, even though I long forgone that emotion.
Man I have no idea how many times I sat down at cons and events and I go... damn even here feels foreign to me, like... these people and me just don't fit in a puzzle even if we share common interests.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:33:39 AM by ♛ Siri »
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »
Yep, that is the one, but that's the kinda lame-ish official Ubisoft one. Its design is top notch, but its functionality is not the best. I've seen some version on youtube that uses a ring to trigger the blade movement, so it works just the same as in the games, instead of using an awkwardly placed button.

As for cons, yeah, there was a time I went to cons, well two actually. Being a small country where there are only like 2 cons at all, and mostly in the western region where there are actually people who are into such things, for me it was too costly to travel to the capital city all the time, and to be honest, the first time I went I felt very good, like if I finally found my place to belong, but the second time, I felt the same thing as you. I felt that I still don't belong there, and in ways it was obvious, because there was only one person I knew from the group, the one who invited me, and it was a quite large group of friends, and I felt that I'm just intruder in their group. (That's also when I started seeing cosplay as something "not right". Like... dunno, how the clothes in animes look believable, but in real life, it looks all fakey. Or at least when it comes to anime cosplays, not western games.) I think a few months later I stopped talking to that friend as well, because both of us felt that we are too different to talk about anything. This happened with all of my friends in my life.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:49:16 PM by Solais »

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2012, 07:26:16 PM »
Spoiler:
Rikka you are fucking adorable oh sweet jesus episode 9 is a fucking treat
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:59:36 PM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2012, 02:43:28 AM »
D'awwww.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2012, 02:46:17 AM »
Oh my God I haven't felt like this in ages. ;-;

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2012, 03:47:52 AM »

pineyappled

« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2012, 05:55:08 AM »
Grinning like a retard now.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2012, 06:54:24 AM »

Mootsies

• There is a reaction? Good.
  • I want to taste Nuetella.
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »
Grinning like a retard now.
Oh my God I haven't felt like this in ages. ;-;
Seconded~
If anyone saw me now they'll think I'm a crazy insane retard, with the all the wide grins and all the "D'awwwwwwww"  :V

Accomplishment? Let's see :
EoSD normal 1cc (Marisa A). PCB normal 1cc (Sakuya A), EX clear. IN normal 1cc (Border Team), EX clear. MoF normal 1cc (Reimu A,B), EX clear (Reimu A). UFO normal 1cc (Reimu B). TD normal 1cc (Reimu and Marisa)

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2012, 06:07:54 AM »
There should be a spoiler image tag or something :/

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2012, 05:27:01 PM »

Every moment Touka is onscreen is a gift from heaven.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2012, 05:56:49 PM »
"Mom, there is a feisty onee-san under my bed!"

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
I less than three Touka so much. KyoAni make an OVA about her plz

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Drake

« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2012, 11:34:49 PM »
Touka reveals a more moe side every episode and it's so delicious.
You see how much rounder her eyes are in that scene? Man.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Quad City QBs

« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2012, 09:22:52 AM »
also she's flexible, and you know what they say about flexible girls

Spoiler:
they have less risk of bone disease later in life

Spoiler:
also, bondage

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

JT

« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2012, 12:28:03 AM »
also she's flexible, and you know what they say about flexible girls

Spoiler:
they have less risk of bone disease later in life

Spoiler:
also, bondage
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. Get summa that Reverse Prayer action.

Unrelated, here's a random Shinka I started drawing yesterday.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2012, 02:36:09 AM »
Caught up on 8/9. Oh god this show is rapidly becoming best of 2012 for me. So friggin' adorable on top of nice animation and likeable characters.

The thing is that, I cannot help but envy Rikka having Yuuta who can understand and somehow accept her, why oh why we never gonna get a Yuuta of our own...

They exist!

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2012, 04:37:00 AM »
That is really good! You should definitely draw more if you don't already. I can't find you on Art Atelier!

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2012, 04:53:32 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. Get summa that Reverse Prayer action.

HOLY SHIT YES.
now I need naked versions of her entire body kthnxbai

why aren't you drawing h-doujins yet you would give ragathol a run for his money
Caught up on 8/9. Oh god this show is rapidly becoming best of 2012 for me. So friggin' adorable on top of nice animation and likeable characters.

They exist!
waiting still... erp not happening.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

JT

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2012, 05:38:17 AM »
That is really good! You should definitely draw more if you don't already. I can't find you on Art Atelier!
Thanks! I've actually had a couple of threads over there in the past, all of which eventually disappeared due to never being updated ever. Might start up another one one of these days, who knows.

HOLY SHIT YES.
now I need naked versions of her entire body kthnxbai

why aren't you drawing h-doujins yet you would give ragathol a run for his money
How do you know I'm not already?

:smug:

pineyappled

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2012, 07:44:55 AM »
I can't help but worry that Yuuta will say something extremely, extremely stupid next episode.

This thread needs more deko.
she's nightmarish flipped

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »
JT stop teasing. also, now that Kino mentions it, me too.  :ohdear:
Sugoiiii~

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »

You definitely weren't. When I heard that "flexible" line I grinned like Hermann Cain.

As far as this episode goes, yeah, things are moving in the direction I was hoping they would. Although with three episodes still left to go, I share kinoko's worries about a "misunderstanding" arising just to add a little more tension.

I think it's neat how the chuunibyo phenom is being shown as a shield from all kinds of pain, including the pain that inevitably follows being in love.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2012, 06:43:05 AM »
To be really honest, the whole series is pretty much clich?d in every way but the interesting premise and the phenom it is mostly about (not to mention the "delivery"), so I think it is obvious that the series is going in the direction you hoped to go. :V

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2012, 07:06:40 AM »
Cliches are not bad by default! :>
Sugoiiii~

Aromeia

• Stuck in the PC-98 Era.
  • I crave for a contest of strength.
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
I think it's neat how the chuunibyo phenom is being shown as a shield from all kinds of pain, including the pain that inevitably follows being in love.

The show heavily uses the third stereotype of chuuni (the Evil Eye Wielder). This type of chuuni can only substitute something that he or she accepts on something that he or she rejects, like love (as you said) or the lack of a valid retaliation against a lose-lose situation.

Still, disregarding all that, it's fun. Call me bad for this but I really think Chuuni is Haruhi's seriousness and Nichijou's simplicity and powerful implications combined. Very nice show.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
What a coincidence, I drew a Shinka too

[nsfw]http://maullart.tumblr.com/post/36259619014/[/nsfw]

JT

« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2012, 07:18:25 AM »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:10:00 AM by JT »