Author Topic: [RO] Ragnarok Online - now with our own IRC!  (Read 98293 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: Ragnarok Online - now with our own IRC!
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
Lol I just stocked up on FB5 scrolls and went Flora/Mandragora hunting my TK stage.  It's actually not that bad.  You could skip Flying Kick/Tumbling completely (the only kick you can use as a Linker) and job change at 42.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2011, 11:07:40 PM »
For you guys playing on HatRO, anyone interested in doing an Endless Tower run sometime? I figure it'd be fun to get together 12 people and give it a few tries.

a quick list of classes required

essentials:
1 lord knight
1 paladin
1 champion
1 scholar
1 minstrel
1 high wizard
2 high priests

and for the last 4 slots

1-2 Sniper, Sinx
1 Biochemist, or maybe 1 mastersmith
another priest, another scholar, or a soul linker

for gear, we can talk later if you'd be interested.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2011, 11:38:47 PM »
I'll take the Sniper slot. (Or HP if I ever bother to max out my priest)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2011, 12:06:41 AM »
I'm either your hizzy wizzy or your cosine, whichever's needed.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2011, 03:07:18 AM »
Dibs on Pally slot!

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2011, 06:02:13 AM »
I only have a High Wizard if I'm ever needed

skills:

General AoE/CC skills
Lv10 SW
Lv10 Ice Wall
Ganbantein

Issue: I have no bgems

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2011, 09:13:18 AM »
TSO - I just finally got myself onto Hats, and have gotten myself started.
Think you should know, someone is DB breaking in lowbie maps - according to Chaore, there was somethin wandering around Geos, and just now, I came across an Agav and an Earth Petit at wolves map - pay_fild02.

And a Dimik.

And a Nightmare.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:51:20 AM by Psychifex »

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »
My poor bard has yet to transcend! I'll try to get that done this week. ;_;

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2011, 10:44:53 AM »
If you do an Endless Tower run, then someone should record all of it, I never seen a full run before.

« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
And a Nightmare.

If someone happens to get a Rosary from this Nightmare, plz to be selling it to me. no wait looks like I can buy one from the Prontera church I am an idiot :fail:

After class today, my time will be spent on my Blacksmith in Byalan Dungeon gathering blue gemstones, if anyone wants to join me. (I probably won't go any deeper than the second floor because ~*~no damage output~*~ but still)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:36:30 PM by Stardj Sapphire »

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »
I would be willing to be the LK for Endless tower once I don't suck and have my computer fully hooked up. rizock would definitely be willing to go.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2011, 06:37:42 AM »
If you do an Endless Tower run, then someone should record all of it, I never seen a full run before.

I'll likely attempt to stream it, and live streams record so yeah.

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »
I'll likely attempt to stream it, and live streams record so yeah.

Awesome!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2011, 10:44:58 PM »
Currently an Acolyte engaging in grinding. Was given the advice in IRC to go to Payon and practice turning undead with Heal. At first I tried walking there from Prontera, but was consistently handed my ass in the Sograt Desert just west of Payon Forest by these ... humanoid tree monsters. Again and again I attempted the run, even trying to evade combat in that area through the generous use of Warp, all to no avail.

In the end, I boarded the airship and got off in Juno, where I paid someone to teleport me to Payon. Whatever works, yeah?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »
Whatever works, works.
But a simpler solution would be to use the Kafra Teleport Service to go directly to Payon from Prontera.

Tengukami

« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2011, 11:23:25 PM »
Whatever works, works.
But a simpler solution would be to use the Kafra Teleport Service to go directly to Payon from Prontera.

Was told I couldn't use the service, on account of the elections. But still, I got to see Juno.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2011, 11:27:25 PM »
Were you talking to the Kafra Event Staff instead of the regular Kafra Staff?
Eh, doesn't really matter as long as you're having fun.

Matsuri

« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2011, 11:31:37 PM »
Exploring is time-consuming and often puts you in positions where you're going to get slaughtered, but it's pretty neat to go around and see all the different places in the game. :P

Tengukami

« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2011, 11:43:19 PM »
Yeah, that I learned when I went to Mt. Mjolnir. The trip there was just fine; it's when I actually got there that I ran into trouble, fast. It's a shame the save points are so far apart from each other, but on the other hand, this encourages you to explore and level up your character.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2011, 12:59:53 AM »
this is long overdue but whatever

Basic PvE High Priest stuff! yay

Being a Priest is hard work. Fun if you enjoy being the kind of person who keeps everyone alive, but note that here on Hats there's a shortage on the number of priests online at the same time. Naturally, in such a case, you want to adopt a build that's tough enough to tank shit but also good enough to provide support to the group. When you begin the game and become an Acolyte, your options for levelling aren't THAT limited, but the real fun starts when you transcend and become High Priest. Hopefully this quickly done write-up will induct newer players into becoming more adept at supporting larger teams on dungeon raids.

STAGE 1: ACOLYTE
As an acolyte, your best weapon for killing enemies, well, Undead property enemies, that is, is to utilize "Healbombing." What is Healbombing? It's SHIFT-Clicking the skill Heal on an Undead property monster. It deals damage equal to 50% of how much you would normally heal yourself for. So for instance, if your Lv10 Heal heals for about 2200, it would deal 1100 to an Undead Property monster. As an Acolyte, your main status spread will probably be one of the following:

Basic FS stat spreads
I > D > V
I > V > D
I > V = D
Turn Undead spread
I > D > L
I > D = L
I > L > D (don't do this unless you hate yourself)

The best one is probably the second one. As an Acolyte doing the levelling up, you want to be able to take lots of hits so you can heal yourself while you're getting hurt. Getting lots of INT, as MUCH INT as you can, is a priority, so your Heal does maximum damage and you have a large SP pool to work with. Acolytes don't get Increase Spiritual Power until attaining priesthood, mind, so be wary of that! Around 5x, you will only have about 300~400 SP and that's barely enough for 10 Lv10 Heals.

Note, I put there "Turn Undead" build. This will be discussed in the Priest section. Just do note that if you plan on doing this "Turn Undead" build, don't stack too much LUK, you get GLORIA to amplify that anyway.

Decent levelling spots:
Low level stage: Payon Dungeon 1 (Skeletons/Zombies) and 2 (Skeleton Warriors/Skeleton Archers)
Mid to High level stage: Amatsu Dungeon 1 (Firelock Soldiers. Use Pneuma on yourself to negate their attacks)

Please, for the love of God, gain Job Level 50. Not only will you have some skill points left over if you get only the necessary FS skills, but you will also have an easier time doing the Priest job change quest, as some parts are omitted if you do it at JLvl 50.

STAGE 2: PRIEST
As a Priest, this is where most of your supporting skill aside from BLESSING and INCREASE AGILITY come in. Since you won't have Assumptio until High Priest, your main defensive buff is "KYRIE ELEISON." You will also be able to learn MAGNIFICAT, which is one of the most important support skill due to it increasing the entire party's regeneration rate. In a party, be sure to keep applying your buffs regularly. Most newer players click on the party member's sprite to apply buffs, but you can actually click their name in the party window to automatically do so, as to not get ruined by position lag. This way, you'll always ensure that you can buff your team and then the rest of the team have no excuse to get angry at you if they do something stupid and get themselves killed.

Earlier, the skill "TURN UNDEAD" was mentioned. This build is strictly for levelling purposes, as to get to 99/70 Priest ASAP and get transcend status. "TURN UNDEAD" has a chance based on your INT and LUK as well as the target's current life, for a maximum of 70% chance, of success to instantly kill an Undead property monster. Using TU on the Anubis on in_sphinx4, is often considered as one of the easiest and fastest ways to level a character. Those who do not have the benefit of having TU or do not employ a TU build can try this using Resurrection Lv4 on the Anubis, however, this expends 1 Blue Gemstone without a headgear of Gemstone (Mistress card).

If you plan on doing a TU Priest for levelling, be sure to skill up Gloria to Lv5, this increases your LUK by a whopping 30, albeit for a very short time, but it's definitely enough to give you a high chance to succeed. Note, also, TU has a cast time and delay, so get some DEX on the side.

STAGE 3: TRANSCENDENCE
Once you complete the transcend quest and become High Novice/High Acolyte, repeat the levelling process as you did as a normal Acolyte. This will take much longer than usual, since transcendent classes require approximately 3 times more experience than vanilla classes. However, the build up is very worth it. Here's where the final build comes in, where you gain 100 bonus stat points, 25% bonus SP and HP, and 20 additional job levels as a High Priest.

99/70 High Priest Skill Build --> Here

99/70 High Priest Stat Build (factoring HP gear build below)
STR 1 +9
AGI 3+8
VIT 93+13
INT 88+13
DEX 58+9
LUK 1+2

Equipment
WEAPON :: Staff of Recovery +10 (this is key)
Headgear (Up) :: +9 Tiara[1] --> Choose: Marduk card or Mistress card You can opt for a Maiden Hat instead which boosts MATK and Heal potency rather than give +1 INT. It also has one slot
Headgear (Mid) :: Choose: Red Glasses or Robo Eye
Headgear (Low) :: Whatever you want
Armor :: +9 Odin's Blessing[1] --> Card it with the appropriate Property cards (Dokebi/Sandman/Bathory/ED/Swordfish/Pasana)
Shield :: +9 Valkyrja's Shield[1] --> Card it with the appropriate Resistance cards. If you're fighting MVPs or Boss-class monsters, Choose: Alice card or the MVP's Race card
Garment :: +9 Wool Scarf[1] --> Raydric card
Shoes :: +9 Tidal Shoes[1] --> Antique Firelock card
Accessory 1 :: Necklace[1] --> Spore card
Accessory 2 :: Necklace[1] --> Spore card

Alternatively, you can go for Earring[1] + Spore Card or some other card of your choice, for some extra INT. Or, you may also opt to do +9 Orlean's Server[1] and Orlean's Glove combo for some faster cast time. Whichever you choose, you need to get your items up to +9 or even better, +10. This gives you a really high defense, well over 50, and with Assumptio, it's highly unlikely you will be killed that easily.

If you want some more figures:

HP - 13146
SP - 2216
DEF - 52 armor defense
MDEF - 14
HIT - 166
Flee - 110
PD - 1.3
Crit - 1.9
MATK - 341~576
HP Regen - 90
SP Regen - 39 base, excluding ISP

Playing HP
When playing as HiPri, you want to keep everyone alive mostly. Don't stop applying Assumptio, Magnificat, Increase AGI, and Blessing. These four buffs are the most important. Quite frankly, the other buffs are secondary and situational. For instance, you can cast Impositio Manus on your DPSers if you really HAVE to, and in a place like Nameless Abbey, you need to keep spamming Aspersio on your melee attackers so they get bonus damage against Undead monsters. Don't forget to cast your buffs through the Party Window (ALT+Z). Furthermore, the Party Window is a great way to keep track of who's dying and who isn't, because health bar outside of it can be quite confusing and hinders vision of the battle. Note that earlier, I emphasized high defenses so you can tank. YOU ARE NOT THE ONE TANKING, if you have to tank for the party, something is seriously wrong with your party composition and you should consider looking for an LK or a Pally to do the tanking instead. Your ridiculous defenses is for you to survive party wipes and cast Lv4 Resurrection on everyone else when they are dead!!! The HP is one of the most important people in the party and must be alive at all costs, even if the HP himself or herself has to be the one to keep themselves alive!!!

I repeat!

HP must always be alive! So having a good defense is a good way of ensuring that you'll survive long enough to revive and rejuvenate everyone else.

Last word
High Priest is quite a job, really. I've had lots of experience in the role, and I'm sure a bunch of others have. This is mostly just an induction for newbies, as you gain more experience you will be able to do things in your own manner and deviate, and devise your own ways to support the team. Just don't do anything outlandish and/or stupid and you'll be fine.

I hope this was informative!

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »
For those interested in the news at the official KRO and JRO servers, aka wants to know what's coming to RO, Doddler, the news man of IRO have made a blog, where he posts about interesting stuff, including the patch posts he always posted on the IRO wiki forums. Link is here.

In the latest news, lots of skills getting fixed and re-enabled, and Warlock is nerfed as hell, so it's not that OP. Also other 3rd jobs are nerfed as well, I think they're finally serious about cleaning up the shit before they release the next batch of classes and content to stir up the shit again. :V

Tengukami

« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2011, 02:21:45 AM »
Holy crap, Trance. Thank you.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »
Trance: one correction.  Wouldn't SP Recovery 5/Meditatio 5 be better than SP Recovery 10?  You get far more recovery + a significant heal increase + a max SP increase.  I would almost argue it'd be worth ditching Suffragium/dropping Safety Wall to 7 as well in order to max it out.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:01:33 PM by ♪ Trans-Siberian Orchestra ♫ »

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2011, 09:58:49 PM »
I agree on the Meditatio point. It's way more useful than Increase SP and if there's a choice between the 2, go Meditatio.

If the build is mostly PvM, drop Kyrie. Kyrie really only benefits Wizards and you'd want your wizards playing on the server to learn phen clip switching and/or Safety Walling themselves for casting purposes. If you're not doing WoE, there's no need for KE.

Definitely drop Safety Wall to 7. You only need the quickest cast time and it's rare to need all the hits it provides unless you're tanking a Valkyrie. I also don't like Increase SP that much, I'd leave it at 4. Sanctuary either at 3 or 7, no in between. I usually like a max Angelus build and a point in Decrease Agi; the rest can go into Meditatio. Sometimes, I will go KE4/Gloria 5 which requires a sacrifice in something else (lower Imposito, Aspersio, Mag). Just my input on slightly varying builds.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2011, 06:57:16 AM »
Okay, I admit, my stuff is mostly biased, since my history with support Priesting is mostly nobody in my team knows how take care of themselves so I am assuming worst case scenarios.

Though, I can agree with Meditatio now that I know it boost Heal (I forgot that).

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2011, 06:00:07 AM »
I disagree on the no KE part, because there is situational usage of KE vs Assumptio.  Sure 50% reduction is great and all, but for vulnerable characters like SBK sins and wizards and other squishies with interruptible skills it's invaluable.  Expecting me as an SBK sin to wear a phen clip is retarded, as it severely hampers my DPS.  Wearing Orleans is an option but those are better reserved for wizzies and chain gives much higher DEF.  KE is a better choice in such cases as I have a high HP mod.  I can eat the damage here and there, I'm more worried about not being interrupted while casting.

KE also enables classes that don't usually tank to become makeshift tanks if things go south or you need to reposition immediately.  And if you're doing something like Odins where monsters know change undead, you have to KE spam because you can no longer heal. 

KE is still a great spell as an HP, Assumptio is not a wholesale replacement for it.  For the most part you will be casting Assumptio but a good FS HP is going to know when to cast KE over Assumptio.  Trance's point also rings true.  While I expect competent wizards to get SW and know when to cast it and when to switch to uninterruptable cast stuff, you should have a backup plan just in case something screws up or you need to improvise to avoid a wipe.  KE is a backup plan.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:06:08 AM by ♪ Trans-Siberian Orchestra ♫ »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2011, 08:15:41 AM »
I also disagree with putting a point into Decrease AGI. That single point could go into a different skill that's more useful.

While I'm an advocate of the "do everything nobody else can do" scenario, Decrease AGI is hilariously inefficient and if a Wizard does not have Quagmire they are seriously doing it wrong, it is arguably worse than a PvM Wizard not getting Safety Wall and/or Ice Wall. As for Angelus, VIT DEF is a luxury, not a commodity. I'd say either go for the 1 for Assumpt or 2 for Assumpt/KE. Anything past that is overkill and going out of your way to add another spell to buff people when VIT DEF is marginal increase in defense at best is just stupid, imo. Slicing away the 8 points from Max Angelus allow you to allocate those into better skills.

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »
The newest kRO patch is out, just bugfixes again to the 3rd jobs, nothing major, only this:

"The archer skeleton card has had its option changed to only give its effect if slotted in a bow weapon."

This started to make people raeg.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »
The only other skill (that wouldn't use a bow) I could think of that Archer Skeleton would work on is Spear Boomerang.  Do people really cheese that?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:05:07 PM by ♪ Trans-Siberian Orchestra ♫ »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2011, 08:53:12 PM »
The only other skill (that wouldn't use a bow) I could think of that Archer Skeleton would work on is Spear Boomerang.  Do people really cheese that?

Archer Skeleton work(s/ed) on any ranged damage attack, didn't it?  I recall it was very popular in spiral pierce builds, and for gunslingers, etc.