Author Topic: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!  (Read 128598 times)

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
Re: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!
« Reply #660 on: June 11, 2011, 12:22:10 AM »
> Imperishable Night
> Netherworld Team
> the one week I have a fuckload of work

I will haunt you in your sleep. Seriously. You Will Die. :V
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:53:54 AM by Omba »

« Reply #661 on: June 12, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
Easy mode's really pissing me off.  Trying really hard to get a good score, but there's always a few little screw-ups that ruin it.  In today's run, I bomb a stage 4 fairy (the ones with the rapid-spinning familiars) and then fail Marisa's first card during the buzz.  Milky Way indeed.

NEETori

• Using my Extending Arms to steal donations.
  • TECHNOLOGY!
« Reply #662 on: June 13, 2011, 11:55:25 AM »
I hate knowing Kaguya's Last Spells in concept but never being able to execute them more than anything.  They'd make up for my really really sloppy plays for the most part.

By the way, outside of a few spots (Wriggle, Marisa and certain Keine, Kaguya and Eirin cards), is it better just to plow through as Youmu or grazefarm?  on easymodo.

« Reply #663 on: June 13, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »
I hate knowing Kaguya's Last Spells in concept but never being able to execute them more than anything.  They'd make up for my really really sloppy plays for the most part.

By the way, outside of a few spots (Wriggle, Marisa and certain Keine, Kaguya and Eirin cards), is it better just to plow through as Youmu or grazefarm?  on easymodo.
I'm pretty sure the extra points you get just from the 6B point items should more than offset the difference of even a clear on 6A.  I no-focused pretty much every spell/nonspell simply because it's easier than paying attention to the meter on bosses and the payoff difference isn't that significant unless you're against a serious score-runner.  I focus Stardust Reverie and sometimes Reisen's first/last cards to make sure I can cap them, and her last nonspell if I remember to switch my meter over to phantom.  Not sure if Eirin's nonspell is worth it, but it very well might be, I should probably be doing that... The only cards I think would be worth worth grazing for Nether are Keine midboss and her last two boss cards, Wriggle's last card, and maybe some Mystia stuff (not sure if people do it on easy).  None of Marisa's stuff is really worth grazing as far as I can tell, though Reimu has a few good cards.  Aside from Hourai Jewel and Kaguya's first, second, and fourth timeouts, you can pretty much ignore any stage 6 spells since the spellcard bonus from finishing it quickly with Youmu is probably more significant than any small amount of extra time you'd get from going for almost-timeouts on those cards with Yuyu.  Optimally you would no focus constant fire the third and fifth timeouts, but I usually mostly focus through those just to make sure I cap them.

Also, another tip (probably obvious) is to preserve familiars if possible.  Always focus-kill stage fairies with familiars and switch back to Youmu to push yourself back to the human side before you collect the point items.  For bosses, only shoot them if they're practically impossible to kill (eg. Milky Way, Buddha's Stone Bowl) or if they respawn (Wriggle familiars, Marisa midboss familiars, etc), in which case you can just kill them as much as you like until the boss starts buzzing and then finish off the phase once more come out (Marisa spawns them slowly, so you may want to wait for the last 2-3 seconds to finish just to be sure).

Aside from my basic "get a pretty decent score" tips, you might want to check out some easy mode replays on Royalflare for more graze spots and just use whichever ones you think you can pull off consistently enough.

« Reply #664 on: June 13, 2011, 11:00:12 PM »
Hopefully we'll actually get some PC98 next week. I'm wanting that to give me an excuse to finally 1cc those Lunatics.

Also,

MoF
MarisaC
No Vert

would be an awesome special challenge.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #665 on: June 20, 2011, 01:08:33 PM »
Week 11's up! Hope you enjoy the Special challenge this week. >:D Week 10 will be updated later.

Also, thanks for the suggestions, even if they're not picked - they might get picked later and they're very helpful when you're running out of ideas. :V
Let's fight.

« Reply #666 on: June 20, 2011, 02:45:36 PM »
Some PC98 goodness might help give some variety to the challenges. Speaking of which, the Special Challenge is exceptionally devilish this week.

But it's UFO. Delicious, delicious UFO.

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #667 on: June 20, 2011, 07:00:12 PM »
Evil challenge is evil, but that won't stop me from trying :D

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #668 on: June 20, 2011, 08:37:26 PM »
mmm unfocus marisa b

brb foaming at the mouth
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #669 on: June 21, 2011, 12:33:17 AM »
This further builds up my understanding that Sapz is spending every weekend in his life trying to figure out the most ingenious ways to ruin my life.  :]
SA scoring and UFO with MarisaB. You're getting good at this. So instead of just coming in here and complaining about shottypes i've decided to actually make a run.

What can I say about it? Had a pretty good run until the Stage 4 boss. Then i started dying to things. Things went even worse when I start running into bullets in Stage 5 and stands still waiting for the bullets to hit me on several occasions across the run. I suppose Normal mode has some threats if you don't focus.

And of course my scoring is as pitiful as ever but its UFO scoring so who cares? I survived and that's good enough. Now I expect Naut to pull off a 1cc, a Lunatic one naturally. I also attempted extra but was raped by red UFO's through crashing into the very same UFO three times. I don't think capping it would be hard to do with focus but wihout it, ouch.

EDIT: Lol, just realized that you were to use ReimuC in SA. I somehow read it as MarisaC. I might actually attempt a run. Breaking a billion will suffice. I don't wanna suicide too much. :V
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:50:50 AM by Zengeku »

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #670 on: June 21, 2011, 02:40:25 AM »
I try. :3

Spoiler:
...Actually, these are the kind of challenges that happen when I wake up 15 minutes before it's time to set the challenge and haven't settled on an idea yet. :V
Let's fight.

« Reply #671 on: June 21, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »
Nah that's okay. I'm sure ZUN designs the last bunch of shot types the same way. 15 minutes before going to the Comiket.  :V

As for UFO Extra, haven't had any sucess. Marisa keeps flying into stuff. I don't know how i'm going to make it through Grudge Bow and Nightmare. The bombs lasts for never and the speed, ouch! I should go do some scoring in SA instead.

I'll wait till' after my chemistry exams though. That comes first.

« Reply #672 on: June 23, 2011, 02:31:41 AM »
I'm pretty rusty at SA, so I definitely won't be 1ccing Lunatic again this week.

But I might submit some Normal/Hard scores if I get a good run.

Just had a suck Normal run where I derp died 4 or 5 times. Outside of a suicide for power at the very beginning of the game where it won't hurt the scoring for Normal/Hard, I'm hoping for no deaths.

« Reply #673 on: June 24, 2011, 10:00:54 PM »
I really liked this weeks challenges, even if I'm lazy and feel done with it now. Great job to everyone who submitted, I hope more are on the way!
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #674 on: June 26, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »
Again a really fun Special. I like it when I have to fear for my life throughout the run. If I expect my run to end somewhere around stage 3 (which is quite realistic for Lunatic, some attacks seem nearly undodgeable with UF Marisa), are there any more survival-efficient ways to collect UFO's than simply going for red all the way?

« Reply #675 on: June 27, 2011, 03:29:54 PM »
Okay, so three things have happened.

#1 - Sapz has forgotten to rank the submissions by score.
#2 - Naut failed at living up to my expectations. :V - But he got pretty far which is kinda cool and a little scary at the same time.
#3 - I forgot to do a score run of SA Lunatic, i'm sorry.  :(

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #676 on: June 27, 2011, 06:55:49 PM »
I'm doing it I'm doing it chill out :V
Let's fight.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #677 on: July 04, 2011, 04:09:20 AM »
We're likely to start a few hours late this week. Apologies for the delay, I've gotta go out around that time. :derp:
Let's fight.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #678 on: July 04, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
PC-98 test run this week! Gogogo.
Let's fight.

« Reply #679 on: July 04, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
Mystic Square?  AND Mima?!  <3

...I just hope i have time to play this week...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:28:19 PM by Stage 1 Fairy »

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #680 on: July 04, 2011, 10:21:59 PM »
...Shinki took out 3 of my lives during her curvy balls attack ;_;
Lost my last one right when Devil's Recitation was ending =(

That's what I get for entering Shinki blind :V
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 10:26:15 PM by Railyuko Saigyouji »

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

« Reply #681 on: July 05, 2011, 12:06:16 AM »
I'll try my best to get a submission this time. Hopefully people will pick up on the PC98 selection

« Reply #682 on: July 05, 2011, 12:53:35 AM »
Finally a reason to 1cc that game. Nice. Lets' see if I get it done. Wasn't it basically that score system I always dreamt off?
And I might also do some of that PCB stuff. It is indeed PCB but you picked one of the bosses that doesn't suck and doesn't have a needlessly prolonged static marathon to go through.

Nice selection Sapz. I thought you hated me.  :V

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #683 on: July 05, 2011, 04:08:50 AM »
Don't worry, I'll think up something more painful for next time. :V
Let's fight.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #684 on: July 05, 2011, 06:03:48 AM »
Shinki's Devil's Recitation clipped me. Those purple orbs have smaller hitboxes than I thought. I just went too close at the end. Hopefully, this will force me to 1cc this game on normal for a change. :V

EDIT: Also, how do you take snapshots with Next? I see Sc. Cap on the F12 menu, but I can't get to it because they made it too confusing for me.

Another EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. :derp:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:16:54 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #685 on: July 05, 2011, 09:25:06 AM »
I tried MS Lunatic and got to Shinki. The attack that looks like Utsuho's Peta Flare. (somewhat)
I might have actually beaten the game just like that if I didn't decide dying against Yumeko 4 times was a good idea. I shall use more bombs next time.
I also need to figure out just how much you need to stall the Stage 5 midboss to avoid getting raped in the fluff after her. I thought to myself, well people said you needed to stall midboss Sakuya to avoid BS in EoSD as well so I wouldn't need to do it in MS either!

The difference is just that post-midboss Sakuya is a slowpaced mess of bullets where hardly anything will hit you if you just stay put. In MS, a lot of stuff will happen. I'm not calling it BS or anything but certainly stuff that is way too risky for me to attempt in the middle of a run.

I'm taking a break from MS now to try myself a bit of that PCB Stage 5.

EDIT: Is there anyone who has a score.dat file for PCB with SakuyaB's Lunatic stages unlocked that I can borrow?. (Or at least just up to Stage 5)
My own file only has Lunatic stages for ReimuA, B and SakuyaA.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:31:09 AM by Zengeku »

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #686 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:39 AM »
EDIT: Is there anyone who has a score.dat file for PCB with SakuyaB's Lunatic stages unlocked that I can borrow?. (Or at least just up to Stage 5)
My own file only has Lunatic stages for ReimuA, B and SakuyaA.

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,6130.msg340773.html#msg340773

« Reply #687 on: July 05, 2011, 01:16:35 PM »
Oh sweet, thanks.

« Reply #688 on: July 06, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »
So I put MS on ice for now since it refuses to cooperate with me. Instead I played some PCB. Once.

Youmu is still much more bark than bite so I managed to pretty much perfect her (bombed on 2nd non-spell.) and I got 203M out of her. I haven't played much of Sakuya so I know next to nothing about her. It seems she isn't punished as heavily as the others for bombing. Which you might benefit from in terms of getting quick borders without sacrificing your item point value.

« Reply #689 on: July 06, 2011, 03:48:49 PM »
I forgot how bad I was at PC98. Screw the score. All that's doing is getting me killed.