Author Topic: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!  (Read 128584 times)

tbax704

• Now more gangsta...
  • With wings...
Re: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!
« Reply #450 on: March 17, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »

« Reply #451 on: March 17, 2011, 05:12:12 PM »
I just lost at EoSD Extra. That hasn't happened in a long while. Probably cause' i was using Reimu but whatever. I was playing as MarisaA. Its nice how much damage she deals... oh and extra stage is dull as fuck. Nothing difficult in it at all. That is not unlike most extras so I shouldn't be surprised. ZUN should make a Phantasm Stage in the next game... that actually has difficulty.

Anyway. I lose one life to the stage. Intentionally so i could get more lives and bomb fairies for their item drops. Then i lose the rest of my lives to Flandre for whatever reasons. The patterns are all very easy to read. At least until QED but what happens is Marisa's speed being too fast. I end up running into stuff.

I died at Cranberry Trap, Maze of Love, ATTWG and QED. I'll go try again. Hopefully with less fail and more win. Oh and the death at QED was in the beginning of the attack when things are still a piece of cake to read and super slow. Marisa moved further to the left than I wanted to. I hate dying to things when I have read the path well in advance and fail because the character is too fast/slow whatever.

« Reply #452 on: March 17, 2011, 05:21:50 PM »
I hate dying to things when I have read the path well in advance and fail because the character is too fast/slow whatever.

The bolded part is why I don't use Reimu in this game.

« Reply #453 on: March 17, 2011, 05:31:58 PM »
Hmm... that was at least better.
This time i at least cleared. Died at Kagome Kagome because the card was bullshit and spawned a bullet on my hitbox. Flandre seems to like playing dirty it seems. Also died at Maze of Love again. All just because I refuse to move around with Flan. Takes too long time. AND REIMU CAN DO THAT NO PROBLEM! Marisa clips it like nobody else though. Oh and I died at QED just as Flan exploded. Ain't that nice? Flandre did really good at trolling me this time. My score was 232M. I'll be uploading it later. And probably not improving it. Extra is too dull for that. I'd rather play Hard a bit. Lunatic with MarisaA is probably the worst idea ever though so Hard should suffice...

The bolded part is why I don't use Reimu in this game.

That is probably the reason you never captured QED! :P

I don't think she is too slow. Maybe too slow when unfocused but for focused speed, she is just right. But that's of course just my opinion. We all have different preferences with regards to movement speed and such after all. :)

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #454 on: March 17, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »
Couldn't Marisa do Maze of Love with 1-2 bomb?
I've never capped QED either. Closest I got was to get the health bar down to nothing and have the death wave kill Flan.

« Reply #455 on: March 17, 2011, 07:58:26 PM »
I thought Deathwave damage didn't exist until MoF.

MarisA can still do the micrododge method on Maze of Love.

« Reply #456 on: March 17, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »
Quote from: Eva Beatrice
Oh, and need more scoring tips.

General tips after watching your run:

When killing bosses, try to time their death when their's the most bullets on the screen.  It looks like you try to do this in the beginning but then forget about it later on.  It helps to be familiar with the patterns so you're comfortable waiting for the screen to fill up.

It's kind of hard when they're unexpected, but try to maximize the value of your deaths.  After you die you're invincible for a few seconds, so use that time to graze and position yourself optimally.  Also think about when the best time to get to Max Power would be - you don't want to stay underpowered for too long since you won't be able to POC, but sometimes it's worth it to wait until there's a ton of bullets on the screen before powering to max, since then you'll cancel those bullets for star points.

When you bomb or die on a spellcard or non-spell, wait a little bit for the screen to fill up with bullets again before killing the boss.

Some stage specific stuff:

Stage 1 - your goal should be to collect as much power ups as possible.  Ideally you'll have at minimum 70 power before the boss.

Stage 2 - Try to have or be close to Max Power by the midboss so you can take full benefit of all the popcorn enemies afterwards.  Until you're at Max, collecting power ups should be prioritized more than point cards (although try to collect those as high as you can too).  Also, Cirno's first non-spell has a safespot which really isn't that hard to use.

Stage 3 - Practice milking Meiling's 1st spellcard.  That part is really important.

Stage 4 - When grazing the hairballs at the beginning of the stage, don't shoot.  If you don't kill them then they can shoot more bullets for you to graze.  For the part with the books and lasers (after the midboss), start near the edge of the screen so that as soon as the books appear you can kill one of them.  Then move towards the center and try to work your way up to the POC.  For the bullet-cancelling fairies after that, wait a bit for the other enemies to fill the screen with bullets before killing the fairies.  For the last part of the stage (with the three fairies), the easiest way to do that without bombing is to damage the middle fairy without killing it, then start attacking the left (or right) fairy just as the hairballs come in.  Then you can work your way to the other end of the screen, using the time between when the fairies die and cancel the bullets to line yourself in front of the next fairy.  You'll make more points that way too.

Stage 5 - Unless you really think you'll need your bombs for survival, it's a good idea to use a couple in the first half of the stage to be able to safely kill all of the enemies and collect point cards above the POC.  Also learn to milk midboss Sakuya's non-spell - it's really easy and nets you about 2000+ graze.  That alone will boost your stage 5 score by a lot.

Stage 6 - Pay attention to how many bombs you have  :)  Also for the safespot on midboss Sakuya, try to stay close to her during her non-spell.  That'll give you more time to adjust yourself when the spellcard starts.  You should practice this part as much as you can - it's really frustrating to do perfect on stages 1-5 and then die here.

If you watch high-level replays you can find other tricks you can do to boost your graze and collect star points.  A lot of them will require using your bombs and suiciding to boost score - you'll need to decide for yourself how many of your lives and bombs you're willing to spend to boost your score while being confident that you can 1CC the game.  I think the stuff I wrote above though are the most basic and easiest things to work on, and will net you a good improvement.

« Reply #457 on: March 17, 2011, 09:38:45 PM »
Couldn't Marisa do Maze of Love with 1-2 bomb?
I've never capped QED either. Closest I got was to get the health bar down to nothing and have the death wave kill Flan.

I went for the spellcard bonus obviously. :)
Oh and that thing about QED, that was exactly what happened to me. But that seems to happen to a lot of people across their playing time.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #458 on: March 17, 2011, 10:26:22 PM »
Yeah, it's almost as if you can't beat Flandre without dying on QED. Or gameovering, even!

« Reply #459 on: March 18, 2011, 12:47:28 AM »
I thought Deathwave damage didn't exist until MoF.
I'm pretty sure it exists in everything except IN.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #460 on: March 18, 2011, 01:28:19 AM »
Nope. MoF was the first game to have a death wave.

(Well, actually PoFV had it first, but who cares?)

« Reply #461 on: March 18, 2011, 03:15:41 AM »
Nope. MoF was the first game to have a death wave.

(Well, actually PoFV had it first, but who cares?)
Er... What exactly is a death wave then?  I was interpreting it as dying after a last spell ends by running into the bullets before they disappear.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #462 on: March 18, 2011, 03:42:34 AM »
Death wave = wave of damage dealt to enemies on the screen when you die. (Closer enemies take more damage.)

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #463 on: March 20, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
Showing up to say
Zenger - 232,336,990 - C - Replay
Bitch stole my name! >:|

« Reply #464 on: March 20, 2011, 05:49:56 PM »
Showing up to sayBitch stole my name! >:|

Sorry. Head's made of fog. Dunno what happened.

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
« Reply #465 on: March 21, 2011, 05:09:06 AM »
Ah no time to participate this week.  The challenges didn't have that much appeal to me tbh =/ maybe next week
2lazy2createbettersig

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #466 on: March 21, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
Damn it damn it damn it it's ended.

Scoring
Extra
JC - 235,805,410 - C - Replay

« Reply #467 on: March 21, 2011, 10:53:55 PM »
<- Defeated

Well, overall I did a lot better than I expected score-wise, so it's not all bad.  At any rate it was fun.  Thanks to Sapz for holding these.  Also thanks to Heartbeam for forcing me to push myself.

Ugh, I must've play at least 30 games yesterday.  I feel like I'm going to throw up danmaku.

« Reply #468 on: March 28, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »
Spell captures... Sounds good.  Learning Scarlet Team will be interesting too, I'm more used to border and Marisa solo =p.

« Reply #469 on: March 28, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
Let's see if I can get 4 billions on IN this week. Keep in mind that I have yet to break 3 billions.

Will watch some score replays soon, moreso to learn how to deal with the stages with them.

Drake

« Reply #470 on: March 28, 2011, 01:30:54 PM »
Oh hey I should be able to finish the EoSD challenge this week.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #471 on: March 28, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »
[11:32:24]   <Naut>   also eosd two weeks in a row :(

guess it's time to learn IN scorinngggg

« Reply #472 on: March 28, 2011, 03:10:02 PM »
Blah, I hate this team so much.  Sakuya has such a bullshit shot type, and I'm god-awful at time-farming through graze.  Doesn't help that my perfectionism won't let me get past Wriggle.  Time to spell practice grazing her last card I guess.

« Reply #473 on: March 28, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »
56 tries at Wriggle's second boss card on Spell Practice. haven't nailed the milking on it yet. Milking her Last Spell is so much simpler.

« Reply #474 on: March 28, 2011, 03:43:57 PM »
Oh. Its time for Touhou Milk Label 2!! . Well, well... i think i'll give it a shot.

« Reply #475 on: March 28, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
This  week is probably going to kill any interest I have in scoring IN. Several attempts, haven't gotten past stage 1 yet due to screw ups.

« Reply #476 on: March 28, 2011, 04:52:42 PM »
So let me ask then, is it The Scarlet Team or the game in general which you don't like scoring with? Personally I find IN, and PCB too, to be ZUN's worst with regards to scoring. Boss milking is stupid imo.

Regardless, I still made a run. Since I have never 1cc'd the game with The Scarlet Team it didn't fare too well scorewise. 2.6 billion. Stage 5 went glorious but my performance at everything else, especially that god damned Stage 6, makes me want to sacrifice my unborn children to the Scarlet Devil.

Where do I even begin? Saw bullet at Galaxy in a Pot. Thought it would pass just by me so I didn't move. It didn't pass by me. Then at Brilliant Dragon Bullet I started the fight by immediately getting hit by a laser. Right after my the bomb ends I proceed to get hit immediately thereafter causing me to use yet another bomb. Somehow I capture her 2nd card and got to the 3rd card which I of course screw up. Same thing applies for that stupid LSI card and I won't even talk about what happened at Hourai Jewel. Let's just say that my dislike for the card has deepened even further. And naturally I hardly manage to capture any spells at all during the last spell rush.

I won't hate too much on the Scarlet Team though. They deal good damage and have potential. Just too bad that that potential is immediately destroyed by the Border Team as they deal good damage too and have a decent focused shot. Seriously, Remi's familiar is very awkward to improvise with.

Overall though, its not too bad a team. Certainly no MarisaA from SA and its miles better than Magic Team and Ghost Team.

I'll submit my runs later on.

« Reply #477 on: March 28, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
It's probably more the Scarlet Team than the game itself.

Outside of being the best for Perfect Kaguya and No Deaths Eirin, I don't really like the  team that much. The huge grazebox is nice, but huge hitbox isn't. The shot requires more memorization to score well with than Netherworld Team or Border Team. And Reimu is a rageworthy boss unlike Marisa. That and deathbomb timer seems nonexistent if you're not on a boss spellcard.

I should be able to break my Border Team high score and at least get somewhere over 3 billion this week as I don't doubt my ability to at least get that much, but 4 billion is probably an unrealistic goal for me at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:41:38 PM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

« Reply #478 on: March 28, 2011, 05:46:26 PM »
The huge grazebox is nice, but huge hitbox isn't.

I didn't find the size of the hitbox to be a big problem as I was still able to dodge many tiny gaps despite the larger hitbox but I suppose the fact that she makes shorter work of that Kaguya is commendable.

And Reimu is a rageworthy boss unlike Marisa.

I don't really see your problem with Reimu. Outside of her last spell she seems pretty tame to me. I would definitely say Marisa is harder... and she is not even that hard either.

Oh and what is your Border Team high score. Mine is 2.98 billion. i was really irritated about not getting 3 billion there.

« Reply #479 on: March 28, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »
2.93 billion off my old 2 death run IIRC. A 1LC with Border Team would easily break 3 billion for me. Especially if I added a few of the scoring tricks.

But since this is Scarlet Team week, it might happen with them first. As for Marisa, the fight isn't too bad for me while Reimu is pretty much bomb/death spam. Hell, even when I tried no focus Reimu on Easy with Marisa solo, the fight didn't go too well, but I wouldn't try to No Focus time farm on Lunatic.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:51:54 PM by Chaotic Phoenixma »