Author Topic: ⑨ - The Movie  (Read 10855 times)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
⑨ - The Movie
« on: August 29, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »
http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/9/large.html Is it too much wishful thinking to fantasize that Tim Burton might secretly be a Touhou fan?

The movie looks sweet, but I don't know if I'll be able to take it seriously with all the ⑨s flying around. I wonder how soon it'll be until parodies start coming out.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Re: ⑨ - The Movie
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
Using coheed and cambria in the trailer? This movie is already win.

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 11:11:36 PM »
In the end, it will be revealed that
Spoiler:
they are Team ⑨ in disguise with more members.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 11:34:24 PM »
In the end, it will be revealed that
Spoiler:
they are Team ⑨ in disguise with more members.

However sweet that might be, let's hope not. That would probably lead to a million non-Touhou fans being like "WTF is this?" and discover Touhou online. Then we would be buried under a thousand Touhou noobs. Kinda similar scenario to this XKCD comic.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 01:48:18 AM »
Nah. While Burton can't be totally unaware of Touhou if he uses the internet at all, I don't think we'll see anything more than a reference or two if Touhou stuff does turn up. Even if No. 9 does turn out to be somewhat of an idiot that qualifies more as a coincidence than a Touhou reference. Our fandom is safe.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 02:20:59 AM »
i can smell the parodies already

the trailer looks pretty sweet actually

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 02:25:49 AM »
the only way "outsiders" would find out about us is if we go around with the whole "⑨ LIKE CIRNO LOLLLL"

so as long as we keep it quiet, we should be just fine.

Drake

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 02:40:22 AM »
Protip: If you think your favorite obscure Japanese shmup series has an equally obscure reference in a completely unrelated American project, you're usually wrong.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 03:43:02 AM »
The film is based on this short film, which was released before the Circle 9 meme

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 05:16:16 AM »
Hah, I never seriously entertained the possibility that the movie was in any way associated with anything Touhou-related, more like a "it would be amusing if" idea.

the only way "outsiders" would find out about us is if we go around with the whole "⑨ LIKE CIRNO LOLLLL"

Super-otaku/4channers do this kind of stuff all the time, but it only serves to repel rather than attract the average person. Perhaps if they realized this they'd understand why normal people stay away from them.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 07:48:25 AM »
Nobu, you had the 9th reply to this thread.

You're truly a descendant of the almighty Cirno.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 10:35:54 AM »
Does anyone else think that this ⑨ meme is really dumb and overplayed?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 12:04:57 PM »
No, you are the ONLY ONE.

Actually, I can think of a few people who are. In total, ⑨.

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
At first I thought it was but now i think it is stupid
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 01:29:04 PM »
I don't see how the 9 meme is any good.  People somehow love to laugh at her for how easy Icicle Fall is, but she's no joke when it comes to Lunatic and such.  Her dialog isn't that bad either.  Bleh, the witty jokes in Touhou, such as IN's dialog, should be the ones which are popular, not some throwaway joke in some manual.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 03:41:39 PM »
I don't see how the 9 meme is any good.  People somehow love to laugh at her for how easy Icicle Fall is, but she's no joke when it comes to Lunatic and such.  Her dialog isn't that bad either.  Bleh, the witty jokes in Touhou, such as IN's dialog, should be the ones which are popular, not some throwaway joke in some manual.
Exactly this.

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 03:51:38 PM »
Super-otaku/4channers do this kind of stuff all the time, but it only serves to repel rather than attract the average person. Perhaps if they realized this they'd understand why normal people stay away from them.

But that's the idea, to keep the normal people away to preserve the culture of the internet/life-style.

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »
Her dialog isn't that bad either.
I'll cryo freeze you together with some english beef!

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »
It's because the number 9, in both languages, is precisely one syllable long, and is therefore easier to remember than IN's endings (which not many people actually see).

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 11:52:52 PM »
I still find the idea of ⑨ amusing, but that's just me. I can see where it might get on some people's nerves though.

I think it became so widespread and popular because it turns the symbol ⑨, the number 9, into a symbol for both Cirno and stupidity, and also that it's a joke universal across language barriers. The average Touhou fans see a fan video, MAD, what have you, and may not be able to understand the memes/inside jokes within the lyrics or written out due to the language barrier, but ⑨ is instantly recognizable and doesn't need to be pointed out each time.

Amusingly enough, if it weren't for the ⑨ meme and all the jokes and bashing of Cirno, she probably wouldn't have gotten popular enough to have a ton of fanart/flashes/remixes/doujins about her, inclusion in 12.3, or Advent Cirno/other more serious and contradictory portrayals.

Honestly, I'm more tired of the Chuugoku/weakling/lazy Meiling meme because I think Meiling is sweet, and I feel like the meme was born in large part of Japanese prejudices/xenophobia against China.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 11:53:56 PM »
Also, I swear i'm not intentionally posting so that my post #s are all ⑨ or have ⑨ in them. x.x;

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »
Exactly this.
the (9) meme is really a realization of the truth, all has to do with Cirno's own personality and style, next to nothing to do with Icicle Fall
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 06:38:07 PM »
Exactly this.
the ⑨ meme is really a realization of the truth, all has to do with Cirno's own personality and style, next to nothing to do with Icicle Fall
The joke has been around for 5 years. I think it's time we let it go.

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 07:00:37 PM »
I think it's time we let it go.
You could also think that of incredibly overused and incredibly unfunny memes like "Over 9000", but they aren't going anywhere are they?

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »
I think ⑨ is the second most "Meme from absolutely nowhere" following "Take it Easy".

⑨ started from a fucking instruction manuel entry. There's no reason for how it got more than a 'heh' while reading it.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
I think ⑨ is too ingrained into Cirno's character and the fandom to ever be let go. You can complain about it, but it's still going to be around regardless. It's that same tenacity that's kept people engrossed with the characters and Touhou universe after so many years, which is both good and bad.

You could also think that of incredibly overused and incredibly unfunny memes like "Over 9000", but they aren't going anywhere are they?

...  or maybe there's just something weird about the number 9 that gets people obsessed?

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »