Author Topic: Aya's Writing Workshop - Bring us your story ideas and outlines!  (Read 248916 times)

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
Re: Aya's Writing Workshop - Bring us your story ideas and outlines!
« Reply #390 on: June 02, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »
@Toyo,

I'm a bit confused by your title.  Is Letty going to be involved?  Seems rather PC-98 oriented to me, so I'm not sure where the snow-woman's going to fit in.
Oh crap, I ment to write Elly, but I accidentally put in Letty. My bad, fixed it.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #391 on: June 02, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »
Debating if I should polish and compress the end result of Rumia Quest into a story from it's almost-complete RP form. Sadly it seems to have died just before the climatic battle, and it's irritating to look at my notes and see that untold, meanwhile, I look at the earlier parts, and the development later, and think 'This could have turned out so much better'.

The story is split into multiple arcs, which follow the development of Rumia, as she unlocks the secrets of her past, and makes freindships and rivalries with other characters. I may also include one of the Gaiden arcs, and touch on the other. While the story starts little actually at risk, by the end, the multiverse is at stake. [As things had to grow in scope to become more dangerous to Rumia's growing powers and challenge players. After all, once you've topped the Sue Duo, how do you top that for a sequel? Answer? McGuffins, OC's, and Wild Adaptations on existing characters]

Overall I'd say it's split into four main plotlines:

Canon Rumia Arc
Rika Arc
Yukari Arc [Overlaps with the other two]
Yuuka Arc [Which was unfinished, and the main reason I want to put some time into re-writing this into a story form]

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #392 on: June 02, 2013, 10:23:42 PM »
@Achariyth
Solely based on the fact that she is elegant and somewhat docile on the outside, I'd wager she's capable of doing some dirty business.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #393 on: June 03, 2013, 08:46:26 AM »
I'd only like to warn everyone new (and not just those who've been following my fic), that due to some bug or whatever, some longer chapters (about 10 k + words, - just a rough estimate) will be cut off when you post them. I learned this the hard way, so it's always better to double-check your posts to see if the whole chapter got posted as intended. If your chapter does get cut off, simply modify your post and copy-paste the rest. It worked for me.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #394 on: June 03, 2013, 05:10:01 PM »
I'd only like to warn everyone new (and not just those who've been following my fic), that due to some bug or whatever, some longer chapters (about 10 k + words, - just a rough estimate) will be cut off when you post them. I learned this the hard way, so it's always better to double-check your posts to see if the whole chapter got posted as intended. If your chapter does get cut off, simply modify your post and copy-paste the rest. It worked for me.

It's not a bug. It's a forum limitation feature. I think it's so there's not *too* much on one page, which would lag up slower computers. Like image limits.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #395 on: June 03, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »
It's not a bug. It's a forum limitation feature. I think it's so there's not *too* much on one page, which would lag up slower computers. Like image limits.

Then perhaps it would be useful if the forum warned the users about reaching the post limit.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #396 on: June 03, 2013, 08:13:01 PM »
Then perhaps it would be useful if the forum warned the users about reaching the post limit.

It may have been overlooked, since it's a standard thing that is in place on most forums. Kinda a default. I'm not even 100% sure that's your issue. It *probobly* is, but the cases where a post reaches that long are rare, but I've seen them before on other, similar, forums.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #397 on: July 12, 2013, 05:56:11 AM »
Yes.  There is a word list per reply.  We've had people hit it a few times, but in general merely making sure you don't break 10k a post handles the matter.

And it's required so that people don't just toss the entire text of war and peace 10 times onto a single page.  Best to break things up.  Both for readers and the forums.

« Reply #398 on: November 16, 2013, 04:34:13 AM »
I am thinking of making a Touhou x Tales crossover, probably "ripping" the storyline from Tales of Xillia, but changes the characters into our beloved Touhou Casts. This is inspired by an MMD made to mimic the opening of Xillia, but the characters were kind-of mismatched or doesn't fit at all. Since I couldn't make an MMD that is in full-reminiscent to the original MMD itself (and I'm too lazy to do it anyway), I decided to make a fanfiction from an idea of it.

Cast:

Spoiler:
Main cast:

Heroes:

Jude        = Marisa Kirisame
Milla       = Reimu Hakurei
Alvin       = Udongein Reisen Inaba
Elize        = Flandre Scarlet
Rowen   = Sakuya Izayoi
Leia         = Alice Margatroid

Driselle   = Koakuma
Cline        = China. Uh, I mean Hong Meiling

Rashugal = Makai

Nachtigal = Shinki
Gilland     = Patchouli Knowledge

Ouj Oule = Celestials

Gaius        = Tenshi Hinanawi
Wingall     = Youmu Konpaku
Presa        = Tewi Inaba
Jiao            = Remilia Scarlet
Agria         = Rumia

Spirits

Maxwell    = Yukari Yakumo
Muzet        = Ran Yakumo
Celcius      = Adult Cirno
Volt            = Iku Nagae
Ivar            = Ruukoto

Alv's bro   = Reisen II

Story:

The story begins when Marisa found out that Mima, her astrology teacher had gone missing. Then it gets jumbled from there.

Differences:

- Flandre and Remilia's relationship will differ from Jiao and Elise as they're sisters.
- Sakuya's previous master is Shinki
- The four great spirits doesn't have names yet
- Alice stand-in parents will be her doll; Shanghai and Hourai.
- Probably adding in many great spirits, such as Aska, Luna, and Shadow.
- Recurring appearance of The Prism Noises, a group of bandit who never learned their lessons, apparently.

Update schedule:

One/Two/Three chapter(s) each month with skits (main, subs, and etc) published when I'm not feeling like Yukari in the winter, starting from mid-December.

Progress:

One chapter halfway done. Story draft completed. A chapter for the sequel starring the Watatsuki sisters, Kaguya, Eiki, and Ruukoto as a badass multi-agent is also being made.

Stifled Voices

• Nobody needs to say hello to me.
  • I try to speak, but I can't...
« Reply #399 on: January 05, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »
I had an idea for a oneshot, based on the Dear Sister SNL short (the aftermath part). It's pretty solid, but I just need to get the time period right; in the Hieda house, instead of a writing desk, what would there be for Tewi to be slumped over (the characters involved are Tewi (who wrote the dear sis letter), Reisen, Akyuu, the other Reisen, and the people who come in afterwards are my OC and Aya.)? A kotatsu?

You know what, f*ck that. I'll just make a fic involving Sanae, Scunnuh and Rayjuu ("Scunner and Raiju" pronounced with a thick Australian accent lol). What would some of the hurdles to posting here be?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:47:15 PM by NooneCanHearMyScreams »

Monkeypro257

« Reply #400 on: January 19, 2014, 06:17:12 AM »
I was thinking of making some short stories of everyday life in Gensokyo with comedy and such with different scenarios. I might also put in some of my OC characters into the stories, though not sure of it yet. . . .
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:29:17 AM by Hard-To-Destroy-Reptile »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #401 on: January 19, 2014, 11:50:44 AM »
I had an idea for a oneshot, based on the Dear Sister SNL short (the aftermath part). It's pretty solid, but I just need to get the time period right; in the Hieda house, instead of a writing desk, what would there be for Tewi to be slumped over (the characters involved are Tewi (who wrote the dear sis letter), Reisen, Akyuu, the other Reisen, and the people who come in afterwards are my OC and Aya.)? A kotatsu?
Sure! Or anything really. A big silk pillow, a pile of carrots, a sleeping Reisen.

I was thinking of making some short stories of everyday life in Gensokyo with comedy and such with different scenarios. I might also put in some of my OC characters into the stories, though not sure of it yet. . . .
Gensokyo SoL is the best SoL. In my humble opinion. Do it!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

EndlessBlue

• The Youkai Lingering in the Past
  • The moment you realize no one cares.
« Reply #402 on: January 30, 2014, 12:52:07 AM »
My idea is quite simple. Yuuka vs. Yukari in a battle to see who is strongest ( Cirno cries in the corner).
You should always try your best. Or use my strategy and hug the bottom and pray not to die.

« Reply #403 on: February 05, 2014, 07:10:46 PM »
I'm looking for some help to write a story for an RPG game based on Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy I want to make someday (just as the Story Writer and maybe Game Director though). I actually have a bit written in a Script format! I'm pretty new here though, so I had no idea if I should make a topic about this somewhere or just post here. ^^; But anyway, here's the idea itself (just the story, of course) :

One day, Cirno manages to find a Super Nitori Entertainment System (that's an obvious reference, right?) in the Kourindou. Not knowing how to pay for things, she just takes it and goes play its games at her home. Eventually after days of playing, she somehow gets sucked in by her TV and into the world of her game. It turns out other residents of Gensokyo were transported into the game's world as well. None of them can use their usual abilities though, so they have to fight per the game world's rules. She first encounters Akyuu, who tells her she has a plan to get home but she needs the power of the world's Crystals, so she asks Cirno for help. Yukari's forces also seem to be after the Crystals to take over the game world, so Cirno eventually recruits Hong Meiling, Patchouli and Daiyousei to help her fight Yukari and her minions while gathering all the Crystals.

So, anyone interested? I mean, I could always write this myself, but I'm afraid I need a push to actually get work done on it. ^^;

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #404 on: February 06, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »
So with Lotus Dream Tale being finally complete, I got another story idea.

"Around Gensokyo with unknown eyes."
-The story focuses on a human (gender not decided upon, because not sure it the person would be male or female) from the Human Village who finds out that some youkai has stolen something from the person! The person then decides to give chase to get the item what the youkai stole back. By using a spell what causes them to be disguised as an youkai, he leaves the Human Village alone, they leave the Human Village even though they haven't never been outside it.

SIRookie

• I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #405 on: February 10, 2014, 09:04:05 PM »
I was talking with some people recently and came up with this idea: The border falls because [plot], and all outside nations try to claim the new territory. The characters must defend their homeland, but are unable to use magic (and therefore unable to access most of their powers - I.E. no danmaku spam) because there's no magic in the outside world -- although they can regenerate some of it inside their bodies (and maybe through some other means?), it is severely limited and diminishing every day.

I haven't thought much about it besides this, and I want an idea for a conclusion before I attempt anything

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #406 on: February 11, 2014, 12:35:25 AM »
I was talking with some people recently and came up with this idea: The border falls because [plot], and all outside nations try to claim the new territory. The characters must defend their homeland, but are unable to use magic (and therefore unable to access most of their powers - I.E. no danmaku spam) because there's no magic in the outside world -- although they can regenerate some of it inside their bodies (and maybe through some other means?), it is severely limited and diminishing every day.

I haven't thought much about it besides this, and I want an idea for a conclusion before I attempt anything

Potential conclusions:

The Barrier goes back up, the status quo returns to some/total extent (maybe the outside world doesn't remember Gensokyo because of the barrier going back up, or maybe the outside still remembers Gensokyo despite the barrier, etc.)

Despite the best efforts of Gensokyo's populace, the Barrier permanently falls, leaving its former inhabitants to try and pick up the pieces

As to how these conclusions come about...well, we'll need more details than what's given.

Nicktendonick

• guess the IRC ban wasn't a big enough hint
« Reply #407 on: February 11, 2014, 02:04:11 AM »
There's also one more hitch to this. This would be perfect if Gensokyo fell across multiple borders which would enable the game of which nation owns Gensokyo. The only problem is that Gensokyo is only in one nation, Japan. So, we'd have Gensokyo pop up right in the middle of japan, and in this case it would only be japan trying to reclaim it's own land. Also, food for through, what happened to where the outside world Gensokyo is on? Isn't the barrier right ontop of it, I don't know.

Now, why would there be multiple nations fighting over Japan's Gensokyo? Are other nations fighting for Japan, which caused the barrier to fall, leading to Gensokyo being right in the middle of this conflict?
Now thinking this...this is when the fun part begins. If we're playing that multiple nations are at war, and currently the front line is in japan...how'd that happen? Are people fighting over Japan? maybe the frontline has been being beaten back, falling further and further back. (In this senerio, you could do China vs US. Since the US is Japan's ally, they'd be on their side if China and it's allies tried to take Japan, turning Japan into a battlefield. Playing this more we could play that this is a world war three situation.

Drawing from current world tensions....you got Russia and China, Iran / Middle east (under a "they formed a caliphate and attempted to take over the world)", USA, England, Japan, Canada are another side, there's the EU as well and that could split by taking sides with the US or Russia, and you also have the North Koreans (who we know are already batshit crazy). You have multiple groups and you can put them together and the more I say this this all sound really more interesting then I thought playing out a actual world war three situation using modern day politics and tensions.
Spoiler:
And now very scared thinking about how a WW3 could spark and go, as we live in said world. *shutters*

You can also play this as Japan trying to take the Gensokyo region.

Another, this could cause the end of the masquerade (hey, I'm reminded of Dolphin Rider Koishi. A great story written by Rou that you all should read and that I will endless plug it because i'm a fan) that has always been, leading the world to discover that the fantasy kitchen sink actually exists and everything then goes into chaos.

If youkai from all over the world are coming out of the woodwork the whole world could be thrown into chaos. Youkai who have been in hiding now realize they don't need to anymore. For all you know, Youkai could be in government secretly, or we have groups of Youkai that have been planning to take back earth (instead of hiding and going extinct. "Damn it! Death to Mankind! The era of the Youkai begins now!". You could even have them picking up on human's tactics and using it in addition to their supernatural abilities to fight mankind. "Why be suppressed by these puny humans? We are the superior species, we should be in charge and not in cages"

If Gensokyo's fall is what drops the curtain, Japan's government (read into this and figure out how it works) could be freaking out on the situation of a bunch of superpowered, neigh-indestructible Eldritch Abomination that may or may not want to conquer humanity and decides to clamp down on Gensokyo. Aka, government people come in wearing swat gear and tries to tell the superpowered youkai that you need to leave your home you've lived in for centuries and come with us for a fate unknown. You know exactly how that would go down and what that would lead to. Gensokyo vs Japan, and leading our heroines to try to find some sort of solution before said war breaks out, or must realize they have to take sides.

This could bring a lot of Tension, that "war about to break out" as the major problem. Such conflict is plot gold, IMO. Such a ending could be that things are peacefully resolved as the masquerade falls across the entire world and youkai peacefully integrate into humanity, partly to thank because of our heroines' actions.

Alright, let's go another path.

Now, let's go with that and go with that human and youkai are at war before the barrier falls. That could also be the reason the barrier is dropping. It's not human conflict but inter-species confict. The Youkai forces have been dropping other barriers thinking they're getting recruits. Humanity seeing the barrier drop fears that the enemy just summoned another group of Eldritch Abominations to kill them. Leading to both sides try to take / destroy Gensokyo, especially if Gensokyo's citizens refuse to slaughter the other species and reject both sides. Gensokyo's citizens might want to decide to stay out of this and would rather raise back up the border giving both sides the finger. You could also play one of the waring factions as the good guys and another as bad. You could have one pure youkai that's trying to exterminate mankind, and the other side that doesn't want to be slaves to this empire. With the barrier of Gensokyo falling, for all we know it could be the turn of the tide with Gensokyo's overpowered fighters helping turn the tide to defeat the evil army. Though, all this dips into a war story territory, and maybe not actually what you were looking for.

But dang I like it, and this all sounds really cool. I won't use it myself, but it's got that "this could be a good idea" type of thing. I hope it inspires a few plotbunnies in you all.

-------

EDIT: Also, another ending, that the barrier does drop and the people of Gensokyo must integrate into the real world, or they take a side with one of those forces, or they just start their own side and save japan.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:10:51 AM by Nicktendonick »

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #408 on: February 11, 2014, 02:13:54 AM »
For the record, while the canon says Gensokyo is in Japan, I do not advise insisting on that point. If your story is better because Gensokyo appears as an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, on a cattle ranch in Texas, or in the middle of the Mediterranean during World War 2, I see no reason to let canon get in the way of that; because 1) fanfiction doesn't have to be canon, and 2) I think the details of where Gensokyo happens to be and how it got there are fuzzy enough that you could get away with hand waiving the location it appears.

(Although admittedly, it would be funny if Gensokyo happened to be a missing Senkaku Island.)

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #409 on: February 11, 2014, 02:29:42 AM »
For the record, while the canon says Gensokyo is in Japan, I do not advise insisting on that point. If your story is better because Gensokyo appears as an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, on a cattle ranch in Texas, or in the middle of the Mediterranean during World War 2, I see no reason to let canon get in the way of that; because 1) fanfiction doesn't have to be canon, and 2) I think the details of where Gensokyo happens to be and how it got there are fuzzy enough that you could get away with hand waiving the location it appears.

That said, I personally would have healthy respect for a fanfic that figures out creative ways to incorporate, get around, or otherwise handwave canon issues.

SIRookie

• I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #410 on: February 11, 2014, 02:44:27 AM »
I don't know if you guys remember the thing with Sandy Island about a year ago, but I could use that as a location?

Nicktendonick

• guess the IRC ban wasn't a big enough hint
« Reply #411 on: February 11, 2014, 05:28:38 AM »
I don't know if you guys remember the thing with Sandy Island about a year ago, but I could use that as a location?

Anything can work, you have to figure out how it can works. You need to figure out how could Gensokyo's real world location would be Sandy island if it appears in the real world.
How could it get there? What are the effects of it being there?

You need to figure out what you want, then how that can work. You can also work from the end down: What is your desired result, then figure out how you can get that result.

Stifled Voices

• Nobody needs to say hello to me.
  • I try to speak, but I can't...
« Reply #412 on: February 27, 2014, 04:51:53 AM »
Okay, so I want to make to a story involving four touhous exploring Rook Islands from Far Cry 3 LONG AFTER Vaas and Hoyt
Spoiler:
are dead and their mighty trafficking empire in ruins
(the Rook Islands I'm using is my own headcanon's twist on them balancing magic and mundane (the pirates were just insane, but there's other magic forces at play), how they went down here is irrelevant but Jason Brody and co never happened). I've already got Kyouko finding Letters of the lost (project
Spoiler:
Kyouken
...), Seiga exploring the
Spoiler:
Chinese ruins
(and having to deal with unusually aggressive animals that want to eat her because she's a hermit), Nitori exploring the seas nearby ("I sent the two of them on patrol that day. They never came back"), but who's going to be the fourth, most likely, finding the apocalyptic logs that describe the fall of an empire? They're in English, and I need a character with an understanding of English. The likeliest candidates from my headcanon are Letty (western name lol but she's a yuki-onna+ FLASH FREEZE TWIST lol ceph), Aya (requirement for media field lol), someone from the SDM house (Europeans...), Satori (interference with main canon from my own OC), Marisa (Western-STYLED), Alice (thought about it on a whim and went with it), Sanae (well, just my headcanon, if she didn't take some kind of English course before coming to Gensokyo then fuck me) and Kogasa (SURPRISE).

tl;dr Letty, Aya, SDM member, Satori, Marisa, Alice, Sanae or Kogasa for reading the logs in English, from my headcanon. What other candidates for the fourth role will you suggest from your own headcanons (That aren't Marisa, Alice, Yukari (This is during winter, so no) or SDM)?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:28:37 PM by SoundsOfSilence »

SusiKette

• @MainLoop { yield; }
« Reply #413 on: March 02, 2014, 11:35:42 PM »
I have few ideas for a story around a character I made, but I'm not sure which one is better in gereral or what people like more. Both ideas are in very beginning stage still, but I want to hear peoples opinions.

General info about the character I made (the stuff I have planned so far):

Spoiler:
Species: Eclipse Wolf
Ability: Creating Solar Eclipses:
-Eclipse type (Total, Annular, partial)
-Eclipse duration
-Location of the Umbra (moon's shadow)
Appearance: Hair and clothes are black (I might make her appearance change a little depending on the eclipse type if it even is a good idea)
Strength: During Total eclipse she is strong, however withour an eclipse she is fairly weak. Also, the longer the eclipse she has made is there, the faster she gets exhausted (the how "perfect" the eclipse is also matters) and if she runs out of stamina or faints the eclipse will cancel automatically.

Here is the first idea:

Spoiler:
A total sloar eclipse occures in Gensokyo. This is new to most youkai which causes abnormal behaviour for them. Reimu goes to "exterminate" the youkai with another human (who got spirited away some time before the eclipse). Soon Yukari tells Reimu that the eclipse is lasting abnormally long and that someone might cause it. Then Reimu and the other human starts to look for the one behind the eclipse. They find the Eclipse Wolf who then tells them that she was rejected from any human/youkai settlements she tried visiting (and wanted to live at). She created the eclipse to summon Flying Shadows as her "friends". Reimu and the human defates her, and the human decides to live with her preventing the same thing happening again.

Here is the second idea:

Spoiler:
The Eclipse Wolf saves a human (just spirited away) from a youkai and offers him a place to live. Because the Eclipse Wolf was lonely, she becomes paranoid about someone coming and taking the human away from her, which causes her to become hostile towards others.

That's all I have planned so far.

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #414 on: March 31, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »
Writing this down before I forget (to be edit-completed): The Infinite Loops - Touhou. AFAIK no-one has attempted this before, while the potential only came to me last week.

For those who aren't familiar with this shared universe:

Quote from: TVTropes (usual warnings apply) link=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanFic/TheInfiniteLoops
The Infinite Loops, also known as the Innortal-style Time Loops, are an ever-expanding genre of Time Loop fanfics.
The premise is that something has happened to Yggdrasil, the World Tree computer that contains and runs the multiverse. As a result, the various universes have been put in 'safe mode', time-looping until Yggdrasil can be repaired. Each universe's loop is maintained by the presence of an Anchor, a core person from that loop who is the first to notice their universe is looping. There is always an Anchor in a Loop.
As repairs to Yggdrasil continue, more people in each universe begin Looping as well, but are not necessarily aware participants in every Loop; only the Anchor is so blessed..or cursed. Your mileage may vary. Characters that are aware of the Loops and retain memories of their previous go-arounds are termed "Awake".
In addition, Fused Loops allow Loopers from different universes to interact. As a given, Loopers are tremendously stir-crazy due to the loops. Hilarity usually ensues.

More detailed mechanics can be found in this thread on Spacebattles. I have a rough outline of base mechanics (~10.5 years, Summer 2003-Winter 2014 and expanding slowly, Reimu is of course the logical choice for anchor), the first part of Reimu's first loop awake and ideas for a few others.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #415 on: April 02, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »
Thinking to write a badass yet comedic crossover between Touhou & Fist of the North Star (the former's characters and approximate world, the latter's setting and general plot), starring these characters among others:
Spoiler:
Reisen
Yuugi
Kokoro
Mokou
Sakuya
Orange

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Reisen
isn't certain, though.  Might get replaced.

« Reply #416 on: May 15, 2014, 07:06:09 PM »
Basically, my idea for a story to write would be have Touhou's setting be the modern Outside world, where Gensokyo would be a city in Japan instead of a(n awesome) mystical land hidden in Japan. The characters aged from 15 to 17 or 18 would all go to the same high school where Yukari is the principal and Ran her vice principal. Reimu would be some sort of hall monitor and still live inside the Hakurei Shrine. Mima could be Marisa's real (living) mother (since I really like that fan theory). Cirno and the rest of "Team 9" would be the neighborhood kids that go to Keine's school. Remilia and Flandre would obviously be the rich kids. All the main Touhou characters would still have their powers anyway and would be able to fight youkai wherever they might pop up.

Problem is, that's about all I got. I dunno how to start or who'd be the main characters, let alone how they get to their first problem or encounter with a youkai. Heck, I don't even know if the idea sounds appealing to anyone. A little help here?

Misfortune!

• I'M THE LIGHTBRINGER!
  • I'M THE FUCKING UNIVERSE!
« Reply #417 on: May 27, 2014, 02:56:30 AM »
My idea condenses down to a Touhou AU with heavy inspiration from Guilty Gear. A bit of character-reinterpretation here, a bit of alternate costumes there. And all that condenses down to "What if they used physical battles instead of danmaku battles?"

I wanna give the two antagonists (both OCs) before I give the fleshed-out idea (Or at least when I finally decide to work on it.)

Spoiler:
Name: Akane Kimura
Species: Unknown
Appearance: Long, dark red hair. Wears a black, open vest, with a sarashi around her chest. She wears casual jeans, with two belts on her left calf. Red eyes. Long claws.
General Information: She's reckless, but somehow always come out the winner. All her victims are unrecognizable, and she's incredibly fast. As far as her past goes, she has revealed nothing, and there are no records of her. We strongly believe her to be something more than a youkai, maybe a god. Direct confrontation is heavily discouraged. Based on this information, we give Akane Kimura the Risk Level of S+

Spoiler:
Name: 'Daredevil' (Real name unknown)
Species: Changeling
Appearance: A long, slender, black body. He seems to have no mouth, and only two, piercing white eyes. He has two large wings, but has never been seen using these.
General Information: His actual skill in battle is currently unknown, as he only resorts to using his ability to shapeshift into someone. From our battle data, we theorize that when he shapeshifts, he transforms into the last person he saw. Our theory seems correct, but we have yet to confirm this. Reports say he has been seen with Akane, so he must have connections to her, possibly a servant. Even after he transforms, he's not to incredibly dangerous, as we have been able to defeat him multiple times yet Akane still holds on to him. We might be able to exploit this in future plans. Based on this information, we give Daredevil the Risk Level of C+.
"Wha...wha...whazzat? Whazzat? You just wanna play a game that doesn't have six metrosexual Jonas Brothers in it? Well FUUUUUUUCK YOU! This is what you get, fuck you! Square Enix: Because fuck you guys!" -JonTron
"The lessons bronies shared with us about loyalty, friendship, fame, obsession, transcendental idealism, rectal prolapse, and erotic plush toy construction shall not be soon forgotten." -Alex Barry

Kaizaki

« Reply #418 on: June 27, 2014, 05:20:09 AM »
My first two fic ideas are light-hearted TeruMoko, because I think the world doesn't have enough of it (not to me, at least  :ohdear:). They will also mainly feature characters from IN. I'll be following Kaguya's canonical depiction, because 1) her canon personality is awesome, and 2) it gives her more depth (and, therefore, more to work with) than the fandom NEET and lunatic interpretation of her.

Fic idea #1:
"Slice of life" is the closest description I can give this. It's about Kaguya wanting to see the Outside World after having explored most of Gensokyo. Eirin, ever accommodating and not seeing anything wrong with her request (Lunarians wouldn't think of finding them in the throngs of "impure" Earthlings), asks Yukari on the matter. The gap youkai agrees to accompany them outside, acting as a guide and bringing them back through the border after an agreed duration (still undecided).

Kaguya, excited with the prospects, then asks Sanae for pointers regarding the modern world, who in turn is really happy to find someone willing to listen and learn. Eirin, in the meantime, works on a drug to make Reisen and Tewi look less bunny. Kaguya tells Mokou the news and says that she won't be seeing her in a while. Mokou thinks nothing of it at first and tells Keine nonchalantly, saying that she's glad about not having to see the princess for some time. But then, she starts having thoughts of Kaguya leaving Gensokyo (much like in CiLR, even if it's temporary), then declares that she'll follow the princess on the pretext that she'll ensure the girl won't cause trouble like "last time" (Tale of the Bamboo-Cutter). Keine decides to come along for the educational value and because school's out (and to keep an eye on Mokou).

Kaguya is happy to hear that Mokou's tagging along, much to the latter's annoyance. Likewise with Eirin to Keine, so that she won't have her hands full with the two immortals. For the finishing touches, they will all have to wear modern clothes to not stand out (Mokou in a leather jacket, yo!).

That's it for the premise and intro. I have a handful of ideas for the shenanigans they'll get up to, although I haven't fleshed them out yet. Some examples are:
  • Some guys falling for Kaguya ("Not again!") and Mokou fending them off ("You'll get killed, fools!", whether she means by the princess or her is debatable).
  • The crew hearing about the Outside World's take on the Tale of the Bamboo-Cutter and history's view on Fujiwara no Fuhito.
  • Eirin learning about the modern world's advances in the sciences, and deciding to try her hand at some (e.g. brain surgery), much to Reisen's discomfort.
  • Keine being impressed and, at the same, depressed about the relatively advanced state of modern education (Random student: "This? Oh, this is just differential calculus. Easy." Keine: T_T).
  • Tewi pulling a prank which ends up with them being chased by the police.
  • Yukari bringing them on a train ride.

Ugh, it's getting late, so I'll post my second fanfiction idea next time. Also, this is my first post, so hi all!  :3

aranicar

• The Expressive Poker Face
  • Wasting time again
« Reply #419 on: July 22, 2014, 03:55:07 AM »
Hi, fairly new here so I don't know my way around.  Is there a place where writers can post up ideas on world building/creation?  I know this thread is more about story ideas, but it's the closest thing I could find to what I was looking for.  I have some ideas about economics, politics, technology, etc... that I want to make sure isn't complete nonsense.

My story is really an AU about a futuristic Outside world discovering Gensokyo and the tension that arises between them.

A rapid advancement in technology caused by the discovery of a Lunarian artifact and the subsequent assault on the Lunarian capital allowed the world to discover new fundamental concepts of science, which revealed Gensokyo from decades of hiding.  As the world neared an energy crisis, the prospect of deriving energy from beings and locations of great spiritual power drove the Outside to subjugate and conquer Gensokyo.  The operation was successfully hidden until one day a youkai extraction failed.  Gensokyo retaliates, and war erupts.

They still haven't changed the Canada flag to US.