Author Topic: Rogue One: Your yearly dose of Star Wars  (Read 3744 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Rogue One: Your yearly dose of Star Wars
« on: December 16, 2016, 04:10:23 AM »
It's real good.

Rogue One is the best Dungeon and Dragons movie ever made. A bunch of colorful adventurers band together to sneak into the evil wizard's dungeon so they can steal the magic scroll and save the kingdom. Also there's a funny robot played by Alan Tudyk.

Spoiler:
I don't mind admitting I teared up at the end even though, you know, obviously everyone was gonna die. I was keeping it together, but then this little girl behind me started bawling, and... Yeah, no stopping then.

Also, Darth Vader's obsidian space castle is now canon. Score!
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: Rogue One: Your yearly dose of Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 05:38:01 AM »
I thought it was pretty good. The lack of a title crawl to set the exposition kind of bothered me, because I spent the first 30 minutes confused and frankly very bored (I actually dozed off for a moment a couple of times). But once it picked up, it REALLY picked up. Definitely did the series justice and set the stage for Episode 4 really, really well.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 07:17:19 AM »
Did they mention Garvin Dreis or Wedge Antilles?

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 11:11:54 PM »
I thought it was pretty good. The lack of a title crawl to set the exposition kind of bothered me, because I spent the first 30 minutes confused and frankly very bored (I actually dozed off for a moment a couple of times). But once it picked up, it REALLY picked up. Definitely did the series justice and set the stage for Episode 4 really, really well.
Same thoughts. A little slow start, but very good once it went into the meat of things.

I wouldn't mind other spin-offs like this one, I liked it better than Episode 7.

Also, when I saw
Spoiler:
Tarkin and Leia as CG
, it made me think of the potential they had there, with
Spoiler:
maybe other returning characters? It looked mostly natural, though you could notice it was CG, but it was very impressive to see Tarkin like that.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:30:31 PM »
I'm certain that the movie seriously messes with some EU novel that came out some 25-30 years ago and that the movie screws with it a bit too much for some but there's a lot to like here. Enjoyable heroes, tough but human bad guy, memorable scenes, different places, cool battles, solid directing, a number of nice nods to the continuity, and just gritty enough because it's a war with people blasting each other and teddy bears bonking guys with rocks to win the day was probably a bit too saccharine for some.
Spoiler:
Not to mention HOLY HELL is Darth Vader a goddamn terror! Every moment with him carries so much weight!

Some of it's dumb but eh. Solid watch and I stand a chance of being dragged into seeing it again and don't mind. Solid movie lots of fun 8/10.

I'd also be OK with more side stories like this but I'd prefer it didn't stray too far from the main narrative I guess? I think this filled an important gap in just how some top-secret super-weapon plans fell into the hands of some ragtag bunch of rebel scum.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 03:09:37 PM »
I am like movie.  Is good movie.

Have high hopes for additional spinoff movies now.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »
"crap I forget where the 'u' goes"
"why not in both syllables??"

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »
"crap I forget where the 'u' goes"
"why not in both syllables??"

Rouge One: A Star Wars is actually a movie about snobby actresses getting into a catfight over who has the better makeup product line.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16