Author Topic: helvetica has passed away  (Read 35946 times)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
helvetica has passed away
« on: January 29, 2020, 01:59:24 PM »
The admin of this site, helvetica, has died.  She saved this website and its community years ago and worked to keep it afloat for a long time.  This place gave me many good memories and introduced me to many long-time friends, helvetica herself included; she was almost singlehandedly to thank for that.

Thanks, TSO.  Rest in peace.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: helvetica has passed away
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 02:05:44 PM »
So many Western Touhou fans owe more to TSO than they'll ever really know, myself included. This hits hard.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 04:29:12 PM »
I'm. Having a lot of trouble processing this, honestly. Helvetica meant a lot to this community and was a huge contributor to the Western Touhou community. I and a lot of others owe a lot to her work.

May she know peace.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 04:44:01 PM »
Helvetica gave so much to this community, and helped bring so many people together. I too owe a lot to her self-sacrifice, and I'm really sad to know she passed away so soon. May she rest in peace.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 05:56:26 PM »
oh wait what.
what.

Motk was my gateway to Touhou Project beyond just "game with cool bullet patterns". Much appreciation for all the work she's done for this community.
Rest in peace.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »
Well, so that's what happened. Rest in peace, bosslady, you did so much for us.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 07:15:12 PM »
I don't know if I can put into words how much this site changed my life. It was my first proper online community, and it was my gateway into a series I've come to love. I've made a ton of friends here and grown as a person in so many ways. Hell, if it hadn't been for this site I'd never have met my boyfriend. And TSO is the reason any of that happened.

Wherever she is now, I hope she's at peace.

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 09:25:51 PM »
The admin of this site, helvetica, has died.  She saved this website and its community years ago and worked to keep it afloat for a long time.  This place gave me many good memories and introduced me to many long-time friends, helvetica herself included; she was almost singlehandedly to thank for that.

Thanks, TSO.  Rest in peace.
...I'm at a loss for words, I never knew. Rest in peace Helvetica.

How did she die and how'd you find out? What's gonna happen to the forums?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 09:44:31 PM »
I can't speak for how Edible learned, but I myself saw a short eulogy on social media from a reliable source. The cause of death was not mentioned; I do not currently intend to pursue finding it. For the time being, I would suggest people not ask around out of respect for privacy.

I do intend to speak to Edible at a later date about the future of this forum, but there are more important concerns at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:47:00 PM by Kilgamayan »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 10:19:04 PM »
every once in a while i found myself wondering what she was up to these days, definitely wasn't hoping to find something like this.

rest in peace font.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 11:04:32 PM »
It was very shocking to receive the news on my social media feed.

Considering MotK was one of my significant internet abodes and a gateway to still-close friends and experiences, I owe quite a bit to her and her actions. RIP font ;_;7
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 11:08:16 PM »
I heard the news from a different circle of friends and came here to verify.

It's been many years since I visited these boards. I'll miss TSO, she was pivotal to me entering this fandom. I hope she passed in peace.

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 11:11:06 PM »
Holy crap this hits hard. Just the other day, she was retweeting this on twitter: https://twitter.com/WholesomeMeme/status/1219983055265419266

Just when she finished going through a huge move in her life... and retweeting above pictures... I... I...  :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 11:46:01 PM »
As with many others, this forum introduced me to many good people I've been friends with for over a decade, and helvetica was to thank for that. Shocking to hear this news. Rest in peace.
Let's fight.

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 02:02:15 AM »
This sincerely hurts to know.

TSO running this forum is what brought me into this fandom, and Touhou was responsible for the kind of life I live, and what arts I pursue.

I truly know that she has done so much more for this fandom than many really know, and it pains me knowing she is gone just like that.

I know of the transgressions she had in life, but that does not matter now.

I hope she finds peace on the other side, knowing how many people whose lives she changed.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:04 AM »
This community was a hugely formative experience and so much of what I am today goes all the way back to her work here. I owe her so much and it hurts to think I'll never get to talk to her again. Missing her already.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 02:25:15 AM »
May she rest in peace. She (and the rest of the admins and mods) helped me live the passion of most of my high school and college life through this forum.

(If I'm connecting the dots right... was TSO also part of Snow Phoenix? If she's the person I'm thinking of that I've heard this news of from a different community, I didn't realize I could have met her at a con like last month. You really can never tell when you'll see people for the last time...)

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 04:33:08 AM »
Rest in peace, helvetica.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 05:01:21 AM »
Oh my god... I'm devastated. I may not have known her much personally or anything, but I remember seeing a lot of the struggles she went through to keep this site going all those years ago, and I know myself and others have always greatly appreciated her efforts to build a place we could all call home for so many years.

Rest in peace, helvetica. We all miss you. :(
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 05:59:34 AM »
Yesterday I was roaming the forum as usual and all seemed as any other day.

This morning (few minutes ago) I wake up to my phone's alarm and notice message from Silent Sinner in Scarlet from Twitter mentioning it. I was shocked in my morning drowsy. I don't know even any more what to write here.

May your soul rest in peace TSO. Wishing strength to your family and friends.

All I can say that this is a really depressing week for me as Death seems to be the common factor. Last Tuesday and Monday two people IRL I've known for few years also suddenly passed away.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 09:00:12 AM »
This is some really sad news to have to hear. While I never personally met TSO, I knew a bit about the work she was putting in to this community. I never thought this would happen so soon. To all of those that knew her, I wish you all strength while you get through this. We will miss you, TSO. :(

This forum was responsible for me getting to meet a number of online friends back in 2011, and I still chat with them to this day in a private discord, which is how I first learned of this. I do owe a lot to this forum for that, and I have to thank TSO for helping to make that possible.

All I can say that this is a really depressing week for me as Death seems to be the common factor. Last Tuesday and Monday two people IRL I've known for few years also suddenly passed away.
I'm sorry to hear that too. I hope you and their family and friends will be able to get through this.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 10:55:00 PM »
Oh, that's sad news. I didn't know Helvetica - I don't know if I even interacted with them. Despite that I have so much to be thankful for. This website has been an important part of my life since I decided to start using it. Thank you and Rest in Peace Helvetica.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

Branneg Xy

• ^UP http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html ^
    • (FREE) LINKEDIN PROFILE
Re: Helvetica/TSO has passed away (!)
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 12:32:02 AM »
 :o :(
I can't speak for how Edible learned, but I myself saw a short eulogy on social media from a reliable source. The cause of death was not mentioned; I do not currently intend to pursue finding it. For the time being, I would suggest people not ask around out of respect for privacy.

I do intend to speak to Edible at a later date about the future of this forum, but there are more important concerns at the moment.
:ohdear: (emoticon most similar for Being In Melancholic Prayer ).

* ( No Proselitasion or Opportunism or Offense by Religion(Christian Carholic) meant but a genuine Solidality and Spritual&Inner Help Praying Fervently and asking for Fervent Prayers,by Words&Works, for Helvetica's Soul and Person and then Other People and their Soul,be they still among earth among usor possibly being Purified in Purgatory or hopefully Entering Heaven*

You are objectively and justly right because that private reveal ought to be known to Helvetica's / TSO's,also referring in general to the ones passed away , proper and trusted ones ...otherwise it would serve no rightful purpose ,but on the contrary,to be or become overly curious instead of the proper informative&solidality like thanks to this topic/posts and in your relible source on that social medi,Kilgamayan,and Edible and Silent Sinner in Scarlet and Helepolis and.... everyone in the known participating or otherwise willing in any possible ways.

Agreed&Agreeable about the forum "Maidens of..." approach as well ; as long as the delay is reasonable and the feasible maintenance and improving may continue,not what is unfeasible ,of course , given "the more important (situational,your personal and by person)concerns" and "the exceptional cut-off of the Legal&IT Owner&Ownership with relations to Website&Web-Server Host "
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:17:26 AM by Branneg Xy »
^^^^ http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html  " 西行寺幽々子の強奪!!隣の晩御飯 " ->>>
" Yuyuko Saigyouji 's "Uslurpation" !! Dinner is Next ".
( Possibilities of ENGrish ) ^^^^ .

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 08:38:05 AM »
Found out on Twitter.

As I mentioned there, I am absolutely devastated by this news and honestly can't say anything others haven't already mentioned. TSO means so much more to me than most people here knew; she was one of the first people on SM.org and the IRC channel that I was able to make a real connection with, and this was over 10 years ago.

Rest in peace, TSO.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 11:40:34 PM »
Hello. It's been a good while (exactly 2 years, I just checked) since I've opened this site, and there are many reasons for that which are irrelevant right now. I just learned of this via a few common friends.

It is no secret around here that me and her, we never quite got along as we disagreed in many things, but I hope it can be believed that I always had much respect for her because of all she's done, and I believe that, given all the chances she had of banning me in the several years I was active here, I think at the very least she didn't find me the worst.

I'll say this: even if my recent life has drawn me away, the Touhou franchise and this community were and continue to be a major part of my life and development from teenager to adult, and in this community I have found many lifelong friends with whom I maintain daily contact, and many more I wish I kept more in touch with, as this site has gathered many, many beautiful souls. All that is no doubt thanks to TSO's efforts in spearheading the entire western Touhou community. So I can't possibly not be thankful for that. It also warms my heart to see familiar names still here.

I hope she made a safe passage across the Sanzu river, and found her peace in heaven.

e: since it's been 2 years and I'm having a bit of mistimed nostalgia rush, I just went through a bunch of old posts and pms, and they reminded me that as a matter of fact TSO and I were in fairly good terms from about like 2012 onwards, and my memory was just fuzzy. So that's pretty good. Rest in peace, font. You did great.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:57:54 PM by HakureiSM »
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 01:28:18 AM »
There's always news that I wish never happened, and specially never this soon into a person's life.

Like most others around here, I am infinitely grateful for font's herculean efforts to keep this place trucking for so long, letting me taste the feeling of belonging in a community for the first place.

I'm staring at these words, but can't find it in myself to feel okay pressing post. Perhaps it's that no words can properly express my gratitude, or that I don't want to acknowledge this.

Nevertheless... My condolences to the family, friends, and everyone else touched by this. Here's hoping she can rest peacefully.

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2020, 04:40:46 AM »
I've never really been very good at expressing my feelings around subjects like this... it's a tricky topic for me.

Although I wanted to say, it is thanks to MotK -- and all of TSO's great efforts running this place -- that I've had some of the greatest moments and met some of the best people in my life. I may not have really been close to TSO personally, or spoke with her very much even, but I am extremely grateful for all that she's done here.

I don't know the circumstances on which this happened, and respectfully I will not pry nor look into it, but I hope that in the end she was able to rest peacefully.

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2020, 05:56:48 AM »
Only found out awhile back from a few buddies of mine and it's left me shocked, this is really depressing news. I never really interacted much with TSO myself, but what she created here's what gave me some of the best friends in my life during one of the strangest parts of it, and I'll forever be grateful for that. I hope for the best for her loved ones and everyone else that was close to her. Rest in Peace TSO, and thank you for everything.

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2020, 09:37:44 PM »
This is really depressing to hear  :(.
While I did not have much contact with helvetica on the site itself, MotK was the first bigger forum centered around Touhou that I found. It was a significant factor for me to look deeper into the fandom at a time when I was very new to it. Touhou might have gone away for me as a short-lived phase without helvetica's hard work and I'm now extremely grateful that wasn't the case.
Thank you so much for what you have done for us, for bringing so many people together, helvetica. Rest in peace.

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2020, 11:53:09 PM »
I happened to randomly revisit the site today. MotK is one of the only online spaces from my teen years still going, and a large part of that was TSO keeping it going.

Rest in Peace.