Author Topic: Touhou Project in 4K  (Read 10715 times)

Touhou Project in 4K
« on: December 02, 2017, 11:44:00 PM »
HD texture pack when?

Today I learned about dgVoodoo2, a cool utility that enables older games (Glide, DirectX8 and lower) to work better on modern PCs. It turns out it also works with Touhou lol.
This was just a silly experiment. The point-sampled texture filtering was to make it more obvious that the game is actually rendering in 4K. Bilinear/trilinear filtering works but causes visual artifacts in the interface.
Playing Touhou in 4K is not recommended.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:50:29 AM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Re: Touhou Project in 4K
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 09:35:39 PM »
Lunatic danmaku in such high resolution would be seizure inducing
BRING MIMA BACK OR RIOT

1cc PODD no deaths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyfSxwB5uYw

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:55:07 AM »
I retract the statement about not playing Touhou in 4K (or any high resolution). If you use linear filtering instead of point-sampled filtering and can put up with the interface artifacts, the increased resolution is surprisingly noticeable, and it looks really good in motion.
Touhou 8 at 1080p vs 480p linearly upscaled to 1080p. The difference is especially noticeable in lasers.

Might actually make a serious thread in Help Me Eiren about this.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.

Drake

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 06:52:08 AM »
While I'm not playing in 4k, this is pretty cool. Not really sure I'd say it's definitively "better" but both NN and bilinear yield nice enough results to be worth talking about.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »
While I'm not playing in 4k, this is pretty cool. Not really sure I'd say it's definitively "better" but both NN and bilinear yield nice enough results to be worth talking about.
"Work better" is in the context of dgVoodoo2's original purpose which is "this old game using old APIs won't work on modern PCs without dgVoodoo2."
dgVoodoo2 is like an advanced DX8 to DX9 converter, except it converts DX8 to DX10.1. At default settings it runs Touhou at flawless 640x480, but you also have the option to override the resolution and texture filtering mode.

Personally I'll be sticking with enbdev's DX8 converter. dgVoodoo2 feels like it adds an extra frame of input lag, unfortunately.
Still tempted to make a proper thread though, or maybe an entry in the wiki's Game Tools page.
I also can't understate just how much better it looks in motion than in screenshots. The smoothness of the moving bullets is surreal.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:43:39 AM by shockdude »

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »
Been testing with EoSD. With no DX8 converter, dgVoodoo works, but the game still has the problem of running as fast as possible (~200-1000 fps on my laptop). If you add the converter back in, the game runs at 60, but then stretches its window to the aspect ratio of your monitor. Trying to find a fix.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »
Ensure that Force 60 frames is enabled in the custom.exe
Je pense, donc je suis.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 09:46:08 PM »
Ensure that Force 60 frames is enabled in the custom.exe
I've done that. Still runs at 200+. I have an Intel HD graphics chip on Windows 10, if that's important.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Drake

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 02:01:04 AM »
Been testing with EoSD. With no DX8 converter, dgVoodoo works, but the game still has the problem of running as fast as possible (~200-1000 fps on my laptop). If you add the converter back in, the game runs at 60, but then stretches its window to the aspect ratio of your monitor. Trying to find a fix.
If Unforced scaling kills the aspect ratio use something like Max ISF like the documentation describes.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 02:23:51 AM »
If Unforced scaling kills the aspect ratio use something like Max ISF like the documentation describes.
Some clarification.

The game fails to run without the DX8->DX9 converter.
The game runs at my monitor's aspect ratio (1440x900) when the converter is applied, but with 60 FPS.

With only dgVoodoo, the game runs in 4:3, but with insane FPS.
With both Voodoo and the converter, the game runs like as if there was only the converter installed.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 02:58:30 AM »
Some clarification.

The game fails to run without the DX8->DX9 converter.
The game runs at my monitor's aspect ratio (1440x900) when the converter is applied, but with 60 FPS.

With only dgVoodoo, the game runs in 4:3, but with insane FPS.
With both Voodoo and the converter, the game runs like as if there was only the converter installed.
I use the vsync patch with Touhou 6 to enforce 60FPS.
You can also force VSync on in dgVoodoo2, which is what the DX8 converter does iirc, but vpatch has lower input lag.

edit: I just ran EoSD with just dgVoodoo2 (no vpatch) and it ran at 60FPS for me. Are you sure you set up dgVoodoo correctly? (copied D3D8.dll to the EoSD directory and added EoSD to the dgVoodoo control panel)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:50:23 AM by shockdude »

mads

• PC-98 enthusiast
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »
I also use the vsync patch with my eosd because it refuses to run 60 fps otherwise. I was going to check out the voodoo patch to help out/ I was curious, but when I tried to download I got an error. "Gateway Anti-Virus Alert: This request is blocked by the SonicWALL Gateway Anti-Virus Service. Name: Suspicious#mpress.2 (Worm) blocked." So for whatever reason my server (?) thinks this has a worm in it. I'm in college so I'm going to assume thats the case, but yeah, I can't get it to download. Cool to see they have a partnership with gog though... pc-98 on gog when?
✧・゚: *✧・゚: * * :・゚✧*:・゚✧

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 12:41:48 AM »
I added dgVoodoo2 to TouhouWiki. Feedback is appreciated.