Author Topic: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy  (Read 56350 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy
« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2011, 02:01:06 PM »
Someone doesnt get the joke~

I do get it, as it's been repeated many times. In fact, it was asked on Page 1.

What was the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you?

I'm not embarrassed easily, but the most embarrassing incident I can remember was working up the courage to ask this girl out, at her locker, when I was 14. In mid-sentence, my nose just starts gushing blood. This used to happen a lot when the seasons changed from winter to spring, but the timing could not have been worse. She thought it was funny, though, and did go out with me.

What are your current life goals/dreams?

To get my Masters in English and my teaching certification. To love someone the same way they love me.

If you had the worst nightmare that could possibly imagine, what would happen in it? What about the most fantastic dream you could possibly imagine?

My worst nightmare involves being strapped to a chair and being forced to watch The Situation give my father a lap dance. The greatest dream would probably be to be laying in bed with a woman I love, with food and water within arm's reach.

You are cast away indefinitely on a desert island. Choose eight pieces of music, a book (you are automatically given the Complete Works of Shakespeare and either the Bible or another appropriate religious or philosophical work), and one luxury which must be inanimate and of no use in escaping the island or allowing communication from outside. Ignore the issue of starvation, etc.

Led Zeppelin, Houses of the Holy
t.A.T.u., 200 Po Vstrechnoy
Alstroemeria Records, Double Counterpoint
The Residents, Intermission
Dead Kennedys, Plastic Surgery Disasters
Dead Can Dance, Towards The Within
Duran Duran, Rio
Original Soundtrack, O Brother Where Art Thou?

Cities Of The Red Night, William S. Burroughs

A solar oven

If given a choice, where would you go for a vacation?

Japan! Or really anywhere in Asia, especially southeast Asia.

What do you do/like to do in your free time?

Drink tea, play games, play music, write, chat with youse guise, clean, spend time with my daughter, read and daydream.

If you could do any one thing in the world (i.e. if you were granted one wish to change one aspect of society, do any one thing, etc.) what would you do?

Jesus. I dunno, there are so many things that need improving, but I guess a good start would be some sort of international mechanism that sees to it everyone gets a good education. When you have that, you can advance in this world. I think many doors are closed to people in the Third World simply because of a lack of schooling. And not just for immigration reasons, but for developing their own countries, too. So yeah, real education, for everyone. That'd be a good start.

Edit: What's the best way to eat for cheap if you're a student?

By your own groceries, cook your own food, and shop comparatively. Don't buy Kraft's Mac and Cheese, in other words, but that generic stuff in the black and white box.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »
I do get it, as it's been repeated many times. In fact, it was asked on Page 1.
It was a meme

You've seen a lot of different technologies change dramatically during your time, which of those technological evolutions has been your favorite? (eg. vinyl -> cassette -> CD -> digital)
You mention remembering the fall of the Berlin Wall quite clearly.  Aside from that, what historical event from the 80s do you remember most vividly?
Was W really worse than Reagen?
Favorite soda?
How do you feel about long hair on men?
Were John Hughes movies accurate representations of high school in the 80s?

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »
Duran Duran, Rio

...................__
............./??/'...'/???`??
........../'/.../..../......./??\
........('(...?...?.... ?~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
.............\.......... _.??
............\..............(
BRO FIST
IF YOUR FAVORITE DURAN DURAN ALBUM ISN'T RIO THEN YOU AREN'T A BRO

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2011, 02:25:29 PM »
On a scale of 1 to shut the hell up how annoying am I?

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2011, 02:31:49 PM »
It was a meme

I know it's a meme. That's what I mean about it being repeated many, many times. Including in this thread. So I decided to respond literally.

You've seen a lot of different technologies change dramatically during your time, which of those technological evolutions has been your favorite? (eg. vinyl -> cassette -> CD -> digital)

Apart from seeing components get smaller, whether music or video players, I've also been happy to see computer monitors get larger, and graphics become sharper. My first computer was a 1986 Mac SE that had a 9" screen and two colors, black and piss yellow.

You mention remembering the fall of the Berlin Wall quite clearly.  Aside from that, what historical event from the 80s do you remember most vividly?

Most vividly, it'd be hard to say. But some very vivid memories of historic events include John Lennon being murdered, Reagan being shot, the Lockerbie bombing, Tianamen Square, bombing Libya, the Iran Contra hearings ... wow, these are all downers. All the good times happened at a grassroots level, I guess. All the major stuff has crap like that.

Was W really worse than Reagen?

If anything, Reagan was worse than W by virtue of the fact that Reagan strolled out of the White House a hero, while Bush left in shame. Bush did some really terrible things, it's true, but he's universally reviled. Reagan, on the other hand, sold weapons to Iran and used this money to fund Central American terrorists - which is technically, you know, treason. He crushed unions, slashed social programs, and got the Republicans in bed with the evangelical set. And yet he's seen as some kind of demigod among conservatives, and is grudgingly respected by many liberals.
I don't get it.

Favorite soda?

Barq's, probably. It's like root beer, with caffeine!

How do you feel about long hair on men?

Don't really have an opinion. Some rock it pretty well, others look ridiculous.

Were John Hughes movies accurate representations of high school in the 80s?

NO! A million, billion, jillion times no. John Hughes films gave us all some very unrealistic expectations of what high school was going to be like, and worse still, a model of what it SHOULD be like. So everyone tried really hard to be the jock, or the rebel, or the nerd, or the cheerleader and then live that role as loyally as they could. It was awful. My only friends were the people who didn't buy into this bullshit. John Hughes made some fine films, no doubt, but he deserves a punch in the face for what he did to American high schools in the 80s.

On a scale of 1 to shut the hell up how annoying am I?

Aw, you don't annoy me, anyway. You're just ... quick to respond!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2011, 02:39:47 PM »
What method do you use to shave?  Straight/safety razor, plastic, electric? 

Any suggestions on how to get a closer shave or at least one that lasts through most of the day?  D:

Tengukami

« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »
What method do you use to shave?  Straight/safety razor, plastic, electric? 

Any suggestions on how to get a closer shave or at least one that lasts through most of the day?  D:

See, due to my Indian blood, I can't grow facial hair out of my cheeks. It gets pretty lush around the upper lip and chin, but that's about it. I typically shave in the shower, soaping the stubble, rinsing, then soaping again and shaving ... usually with one of those orange single-blade Bic disposables.

And it takes forever for my facial hair to grow, so, the best I can tell you is what you probably already know - bring a rechargeable electric razor to work with you.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
Let's be a little shallow here - Breasts or booty?
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2011, 03:13:05 PM »
If you did not know how to speak, then were suddenly given full command of the english language, what would yoru first words be?

Tengukami

« Reply #219 on: February 10, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »
Let's be a little shallow here - Breasts or booty?

Can I say neither? I don't have a preference for one part of a girl's body. It's how it all comes together that appeals to me. I literally have no physical type, so long as the person isn't like, morbidly obese or missing her lower jaw or something.

If you did not know how to speak, then were suddenly given full command of the english language, what would yoru first words be?

"Man, you guys talk so much."

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2011, 03:16:22 PM »
What do you use for a music player?

What your idea of the most romantic date?

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »
What would you do with John?
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
What is your favorite musical number from Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Tengukami

« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2011, 04:00:39 PM »
What do you use for a music player?

On my computer, I use Rhythmbox. Portably, I use this generic mp3 player that holds like 4GB. But that's all I need for taking a bus into the burbs.

What your idea of the most romantic date?

Coming over, or inviting her over, cooking dinner for her. Then watching a movie on the couch, and afterwards just chatting about things on our minds. If we've been dating long enough, the conclusion of the movie might lead to revealing some small present, like a mixtape or a book. Another version of this is after dinner, walking down to a local caf? for coffee and dessert before going for a long walk chatting.

I guess most of my ideas about romantic dating have more to do with the content of the conversation, and being in a relaxed atmosphere, than what specifically we do.

What would you do with John?

John who?

What is your favorite musical number from Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog?

I'm afraid I've never visited this blog.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
What artist or group has done the most damage to music?

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2011, 04:15:21 PM »
Can I say neither? I don't have a preference for one part of a girl's body. It's how it all comes together that appeals to me. I literally have no physical type, so long as the person isn't like, morbidly obese or missing her lower jaw or something.

Yes, yes you can. That's actually a pretty awesome answer,. :D
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »
What is your thought on people who dislike things because they're popular, or because of the fans of that thing?
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Tengukami

« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
What artist or group has done the most damage to music?

Tough question. I don't even think manufactured bands are that bad, if the songwriting is good. For me the problem hasn't been so much from bands as from the recording industry, the way they've cut the balls off of music and made every band a marketable commodity.

What is your thought on people who dislike things because they're popular, or because of the fans of that thing?

Those people need to lighten up and listen to some Nicki Minaj.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
Are you one of the Illuminati?

On a serious manner, what can you say to those youngs who are afraid to have a job because they think that will ruin their friendships or lose all their free time or it will suck out their souls or think it's too much of a responsibility? Especially if at least one of those things actually happened to their parents?

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
Are you going to answer this question with no?

and, if there was a question you would want to ask me, what would it be?

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #230 on: February 10, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »
Oh, mostly I've been listening to stuff you're probably already familiar with, like Syrufit, REDALiCE, Alstroemeria Records, Shibayan Records and such.

I'm actually not familiar with a whole lot, since the Touhou music pool is so fuckdamn huge that I go AHHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT DO I PICK!  Just like Tycho.  The only Touhou music I'd recognize (aside from some of the memetastic IOSYS works) is Everfades, only because bjw recommended it to me an eternity ago and I only use it for sleeping music because it makes me too relaxed to do anything else.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »
Two questions:

1. How do you balance being a father and uh... everything else? Parenting is a full time job afterall.

2. Are you aware of your uncanny resemblance to Zach Braff? Seriously, you're like his long lost older brother or something.

Tengukami

« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2011, 07:06:59 PM »
what can you say to those youngs who are afraid to have a job because they think that will ruin their friendships or lose all their free time or it will suck out their souls or think it's too much of a responsibility? Especially if at least one of those things actually happened to their parents?

Make the time to have the time. That's really it. When you know what your work schedule is, schedule different parts of your free time if you have to, like, from 7 to 8 I'm going to game, then I'm going to meet So-And-So at 8:30, and so on. Scheduling your free time might not sound fun, but it really helps you make the most of your time if you have a busy life.

Are you going to answer this question with no?

frosted butts

and, if there was a question you would want to ask me, what would it be?

Where did you leave the bananas?

1. How do you balance being a father and uh... everything else? Parenting is a full time job afterall.

Well, she goes to school during the day and goes to sleep around 9:30 or 10 at night. So basically between 5 and 10, yeah, I'm pretty busy, but apart from that, the time's mine. Of course there's planning and preparation to be taken into account, but she lives with her mother, and we have a schedule set up of who's with her and when. It can be demanding but it's alright really. It's a labor of love.

2. Are you aware of your uncanny resemblance to Zach Braff? Seriously, you're like his long lost older brother or something.

Welcome to my shitlist.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »
I'm not embarrassed easily, but the most embarrassing incident I can remember was working up the courage to ask this girl out, at her locker, when I was 14. In mid-sentence, my nose just starts gushing blood. This used to happen a lot when the seasons changed from winter to spring, but the timing could not have been worse. She thought it was funny, though, and did go out with me.

What the fuck are you, some harem manga protagonist?
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Tengukami

« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2011, 07:20:05 PM »
What the fuck are you, some harem manga protagonist?

Oh there was no "harem". Just her. And the nosebleeds were usually not the result of being turned on but rather from moving from a lot of cold into sudden warmth (being outside in the cold wind and then stepping into our over-heated school). The timing of that nosebleed could not have been more perfect though, that's for sure.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
But the whole scene is asdflahfdlkashfdlkdf

When I was 14 the entire school was too busy divided in half fighting each other in a massive medieval gladiator teenage beef for anyone to be even able to have a crush, much less confessing to a girl while having a nosebleed and it working sadfjhaksfsfas

paruparuparuparu
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »
What is your real name? What other video games have you played besides Touhou?

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
If you could have any accent, which would you want? Have you picked up an accent since you moved to Iceland?

Also, what do you think of where the videogame (or movie or whatever) industry's going, what with all the 3D and all?

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »
If you could have any accent, which would you want? Have you picked up an accent since you moved to Iceland?

Also, what do you think of where the videogame (or movie or whatever) industry's going, what with all the 3D and all?

Soon 3D things will take over the world and kill us all with imaginary lasers.

Tengukami

« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2011, 08:07:53 PM »
What is your real name?

It's as real as any name anyone else has.

What other video games have you played besides Touhou?

My first forays into video games were for the Atari 2600, so we're talking Combat, Adventure, Warlords, Space Invaders, Missile Command, Frogger and such. Then some years later we got a Sega Saturn, and I played a lot of Sonic Spinball. This naturally led to a slew of other games that I'm not going to list here, but most of them have been shooters, FPSs and RPGs. I'm a PC gamer today, even though I started with consoles. Not because I'm a PC snob but because I don't like buying new hardware to play new games.

I'm pretty happy with the accent I have to be honest. It's exotic around here.

It's great! I think it's an exciting time to see games become more complex, better graphically, provide more ways to have fun and just evolve in general. I realize there's some kind of war between purists or "serious" gamers and casual gamers over this question, but really, the way I see it is - games were meant to be fun. If I don't find a game fun, I play something else. If I don't like a genre, I don't use it. The more developers do to make the gaming experience more engrossing, I support 100%.