Author Topic: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy  (Read 56851 times)

Jana

• mrgrgr
Re: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
I almost never go on Skype, since I'm using my laptop in public places (like school or the library) for most of the day. You'll say hi to Mode and the other non-IRC folks for me, won't you?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »
I almost never go on Skype, since I'm using my laptop in public places (like school or the library) for most of the day. You'll say hi to Mode and the other non-IRC folks for me, won't you?

Of course I will, Jana. You're alright by me. I don't care what those Irish kids say about you.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2011, 04:36:51 PM »
Of course I will, Jana. You're alright by me. I don't care what those Irish kids say about you.
Wut
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2011, 04:40:08 PM »
Race wars are an ugly thing. :fail:

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2011, 04:49:20 PM »
Skype?
Without lil' ol kippy?

I have a question for the middle-aged dude: Why no love for the kippy? Tear.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
What is it the one thing that Meat Loaf wouldn't do for love?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Tengukami

« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »
I have a question for the middle-aged dude: Why no love for the kippy? Tear.

What is it the one thing that Meat Loaf wouldn't do for love?

Cheat. After saying "but I won't do that", repeatedly and cryptically, it's not until the dialog at the end of the song that we find out what it is:

Quote from: I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)
[Girl]
After awhile you'll forget everything.
It was a brief interlude
And a midsummer night's fling,
And you'll see that it's time to move on.

[Boy]
I won't do that. I won't do that.

[Girl}
I know the territory, I've been around,
It'll all turn to dust and will all fall down,
Sooner or later, you'll be screwing around.

[Boy]
I won't do that. No, I won't do that.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2011, 05:08:52 PM »
I would argue that, since that is not something one would do for love, what you paraphrase is not the actual answer to the question but merely a different line altogether that merely fits well into the song because it features "I won't do that". The thing the regular chorus talks about could very well be something else.

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Tengukami

« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2011, 05:12:03 PM »
I would argue that, since that is not something one would do for love, what you paraphrase is not the actual answer to the question but merely a different line altogether that merely fits well into the song because it features "I won't do that". The thing the regular chorus talks about could very well be something else.

Cheating is definitely something you can do for love - if by that we mean "searching for love". If you read the lyrics, he talks a great deal about his passion for this woman, and his ups and downs with her. He's saying that no matter what happens, he's not going to stray in search of new love; that it's more important to him to stay loyal to her than it would be to seek the possibility of new love elsewhere.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »
Ah, that makes sense.

Well played, sir, well played.

So, who would win in a fight - Freddie Kruger or Team Rocket?

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »
Ah, that makes sense.

Well played, sir, well played.

A top percentage rattata would win.
no but srsly team rocket would win. I mean, They are a TEAM. Of ROCKETS. Freddie aint got shit on my warheads.

Tengukami

« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »

Team Rocket, no question. They're drawn, so they don't sleep. Freddie wouldn't stand a chance.

« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »
What's the most physically painful thing you've ever experienced?

« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »
Am I the hero in my own daydream?
Am I the villain, are things as they seem?
Am I the villain in my own daydream?
Am I the hero, are things as they seem?

Separately, what would you say your favorite Touhou fan theories are? Like Meiling being a dragon, or Utsuho's Third Leg breaking causing a nuclear apocalypse, etc.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Tengukami

« Reply #164 on: February 09, 2011, 05:27:40 PM »
What's the most physically painful thing you've ever experienced?

Breaking my right arm and right leg at the same time. That hurt so god damned bad I can't even fully remember the pain anymore. And the fact that I did it playing tag just makes it more embarrassing (and by that I mean, I tried to "tag" my cousin from above by leaping off of a balcony).

Separately, what would you say your favorite Touhou fan theories are? Like Meiling being a dragon, or Utsuho's Third Leg breaking causing a nuclear apocalypse, etc.

I like Yukari = Maribel most of all. It's got just enough convincing evidence to be plausible but still enough holes to cast serious doubts on it. And I like the almost Lynchian quality of the theory; a young girl falls asleep and dreams a world where she's a powerful figure, and this person becomes a separate entity from her. I'd love to make that into a non-fanfiction story some day.

Easy Mode

« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »
hi

now tony tengroirt, i have a question for you

can you make my fever go away? you could roast a marshmallow on my neck.

« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2011, 06:10:44 PM »
Although you like Aya, do you also like Hatate? Just wondering.

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2011, 06:11:39 PM »
Breaking my right arm and right leg at the same time. That hurt so god damned bad I can't even fully remember the pain anymore. And the fact that I did it playing tag just makes it more embarrassing (and by that I mean, I tried to "tag" my cousin from above by leaping off of a balcony).

So it's true you're the most badass middle-aged guy I know?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2011, 06:12:01 PM »
Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »
(and by that I mean, I tried to "tag" my cousin from above by leaping off of a balcony).
Freakin
Hawk since the early days, huh

* Warnin
* Warnin
goddammit
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2011, 06:21:03 PM »
Kirk or Picard?

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2011, 06:53:12 PM »
what is your opinion on prussia possessing over half of the weimar republic's territory?

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »
So what's your retirement plan like?  How much did you start out with, how much do you contribute per paycheck?

I have no clue if Iceland has a wonderful retirement system like the rest of Europe or if you have to save up for it yourself with some kind of Social Security-esque system. 

Any advice for easy tax breaks?

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »
I have no clue if Iceland has a wonderful retirement system like the rest of Europe

I dunno which Europe you are talking about, but it's not the same I live in, and I would like to move there if you can tell me where it is O__O

On topic: 30 posts per page  or 50 posts per page? Which is superior??

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2011, 07:57:53 PM »
I dunno which Europe you are talking about, but it's not the same I live in, and I would like to move there if you can tell me where it is O__O
Well, he lives in the USA.

Dry bread looks like a gourmet dinner when all you have to eat is dirt.  :derp:

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2011, 07:59:05 PM »
Sisko.
We actually agree on something?

Although I have to pull out my NERD card and declare that Sisko wasn't technically a Captain until halfway through the show.  And even then he ran a space station, not the flagship of the Federation.  That being said he was a complete badass and his episode with Q is probably the best episode ever.  Watching him show no patience for Qs antics and putting his ass in place was glorious.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
Well, he lives in the USA.

Dry bread looks like a gourmet dinner when all you have to eat is dirt.  :derp:

Yeah, the current retirement system is "save your money or be unable to afford to live on Social Security alone."

Capitalism, ho!

Tengukami

« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2011, 08:30:37 PM »
can you make my fever go away? you could roast a marshmallow on my neck.

I told you to pound that Vitamin C and get plenty of rest. Did you listen, young lady? Hm? Did you?

Although you like Aya, do you also like Hatate? Just wondering.

Yeah, Hatate's great. She's the investigative journalist, while Aya's the action reporter. You see these two types in my business, too, and they're always in competition. It's a lot of fun.

Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

Tell them I have nothing to say until I have a lawyer present. And if I'm not being charged, then I demand to be released.

Kirk or Picard?

Gonna have to go Picard here. I'm not a Star Trek fan, but he just makes the more believable, more complex, and more captain-y captain. A real life Captain Kirk in charge of a spaceship and crew would get everyone killed in the first week.

what is your opinion on prussia possessing over half of the weimar republic's territory?

I don't see what the big deal is. No bad can possibly result from being overly aggressive with Germany, right?

So what's your retirement plan like?  How much did you start out with, how much do you contribute per paycheck?

I have no clue if Iceland has a wonderful retirement system like the rest of Europe or if you have to save up for it yourself with some kind of Social Security-esque system. 

Any advice for easy tax breaks?

Yeah, there's a pension fund that's semi-privatized. You decide what company you're going with, who have their own interest rates, and the state either pays a portion of that interest or matches a percentage of the money you put in. Typically you pay 4% of your gross income into the pension fund. If you pick a good fund and kick in some extra cash now and then, you'll live alright by the time you reach retirement age (which here is 67).

Tax breaks in the US? Easy, charity. Yeah, I know, you don't actually "save" any money, but you get that karma thing working for you without paying extra.

On topic: 30 posts per page  or 50 posts per page? Which is superior??

I prefer 30 myself but hey, to each their own and such.