Author Topic: Questions, doubts, requests, answers - Public discussion thread.  (Read 170075 times)

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
Re: Questions, doubts, requests, answers - Public discussion thread.
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2010, 12:14:24 AM »
This.

I want to play a Succubus demon, like Koakuma, except we'll do even better~

God, just avoid making me write overly fanservice scenes.

*glares at Purvis*]

EDIT: Holy shit, this stuff made me figure out the outline of the entire story in my head in a few seconds. Woah...dizzy...

brb typing
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 05:21:48 AM by Thundr☂struck »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »
God, just avoid making me write overly fanservice scenes.

*glares at Purvis*]

Hey man, you don't have a hot spring and not expect people to get involved with it. And you don't have someone as terminally ADD as a faerie just sit there where splashing could be happening.

My idea? Kappa Newspaper Delivery Girl~ Then Kappa need more love.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2010, 09:10:26 PM »
My idea? Kappa Newspaper Delivery Girl~ Then Kappa need more love.

Vic needs to get his ass back into deliverating

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »
I've seen (and made) several attempts to get RPGs going here and many of them have ended up crashing and burning before they even got started.  Why do you suppose that is?  do people just not work up the motivation to make characters or do they not care about the setting?  Space Opera Quest has happily debunked my theory that people on Shrinemaiden don't care about anything that doesn't have Touhou in it, so I'm really not sure how to get something off the ground.

For that matter, what do people want?  What do you look for in your RPGs?  What kind of settings interest you?
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2010, 10:53:54 PM »
I'm a drunk. Remind me what you tried? =[

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2010, 11:14:55 PM »
I like nearly everything when it comes to text adventures, but my favourite adventures usually have some kind of unique plot, setting, or style like your current Space Opera adventure and Purvis's Z-Machine Series.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2010, 11:19:19 PM »
Yeah, Text adventures are easy because anyone can join at any time. As a I note I wub my Z-machine posters =]

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2010, 11:20:35 PM »
Yeah, Text adventures are easy because anyone can join at any time. As a I note I wub my Z-machine posters =]
Did you ever get one drawn up for Patchy Quest?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2010, 11:22:06 PM »
Get one what drawn up?

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2010, 11:24:43 PM »
You were just talking about your posters. D:<

EDIT:  AGH!  I'M SUCH AN IDIOT.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2010, 11:27:18 PM »
I've abused Slav's good nature enough as it is. Especially since I'll probably try to punch an ending picture out of him, too.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2010, 11:30:01 PM »
I've abused Slav's good nature enough as it is. Especially since I'll probably try to punch an ending picture out of him, too.
I'm glad you understood what I thought you were talking about.

My bad.

Damn words and their double meanings.

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2010, 10:43:18 PM »
I've seen (and made) several attempts to get RPGs going here and many of them have ended up crashing and burning before they even got started.  Why do you suppose that is?  do people just not work up the motivation to make characters or do they not care about the setting?  Space Opera Quest has happily debunked my theory that people on Shrinemaiden don't care about anything that doesn't have Touhou in it, so I'm really not sure how to get something off the ground.

For that matter, what do people want?  What do you look for in your RPGs?  What kind of settings interest you?

Dark Heresy revival.

Carthrat

• HITLER OF LURKERS
  • MEIN MAIDENKAMPF
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2010, 07:30:09 AM »
Because online games are frequently viewed as cool shiny things, not actual commitments. Applies to RPGs, I know this from experience having been on both ends.

Also applies to mafia, has there actually been a game where nobody dropped on motk ever

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2010, 12:56:12 PM »
I say you raise an excellent point old chap *monocle*

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
I think Suzumiya Haruhi mafia had no drops! But I'd have to check.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2010, 02:33:21 PM »
Drops? You think this is some kind of MMO?

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2010, 03:01:29 PM »
Parallelism, Pesco. I'm sure a linguist as smart of you sees the relevance.

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2010, 09:06:45 AM »
Where's my +5 Chaos Kitten of Lifetaking?!  Damnit I've been farming this Mafia instance for 6 months straight!

Caber Knight Etch-A-Sketch

• The return of something
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2010, 03:31:10 PM »
erm... I've noticed that the large scale RPGs, ie. Waking Up From The Dream, are pretty dead.

are large RPG's just no longer allowed here anymore or is it a case of a loss of interest?

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »
Well basically people have lost interest and the main GMs are all working on exams at the moment.  Many people have tried to equal its popularity but no one has succeeded.  I think Carthrat is right that RPGs require commitment and no one is really willing to give that sort of thing, but I think that it also takes a certain kind of personal magnetism or...charisma...if you will, to run a successful RPG.  In other words, to persuade people to keep coming back.  After seeing so many attempts I've concluded that no one but Mind-the-Gap has that much sway over the community.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2010, 05:17:55 PM »
erm... I've noticed that the large scale RPGs, ie. Waking Up From The Dream, are pretty dead.

are large RPG's just no longer allowed here anymore or is it a case of a loss of interest?

They're allowed, you just have to be a badass enough GM to keep it on the front page against the text adventures.

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2010, 05:54:30 PM »
They're allowed, you just have to be a badass enough GM to keep it on the front page against the text adventures.

Or persistent enough with bumping :V

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »
Or persistent enough with bumping :V

Locked and Lynched kthnx :V

Carthrat

• HITLER OF LURKERS
  • MEIN MAIDENKAMPF
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2010, 11:33:56 AM »
Being a good GM helps. Being enthusiastic about it helps. Having enthusiastic players helps.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2010, 08:29:45 PM »
Having enthusiastic players helps.
Purvis is so enthusiastic that if I don't update every 24 hours, he's going to delete my thread  :ohdear:

Although, I kind of deserve that for the laziness that was being exhibited previously. Still!  :V
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2010, 05:37:48 AM »
Yeah, the forum has gotten too fast-paced and big to really keep character-per-player-based forum RPs viable here. It's not just the GM needing charisma and updating that's the issue with them - this is an issue with Z-machine style RPs as well, and several of those have also died due to lack of content or interest - it's that content generation for multiple-writer RPs needs more coordination between different people and background planning, which means that new posts are slower. And since this generally isn't enough to keep things on the front page here, it's pretty difficult to make that work as it stands.

And frankly, that's fine. The activity and speedy/spammy RPs that are here are nice, and things are going well anyway - Rumia's has a nice niche as it is, and I don't think that needs to be messed with.

But if people are worried about making slower forum RPs like that seem unwelcome, a compromise would be to encourage threads for organizing those here, while facilitating/endorsing/outsourcing a slower location for the RPs themselves elsewhere. What little active stuff there is for WuftD has been largely moved to Nemo ma's forum, as Gap had actually been considering since a few months back: Helping get initial organizational threads ready here and providing links to resources to set up a similar small, free forum for the RP itself elsewhere might be a good way to support it without having to mess with what we have going now. Endorsing them by keeping the original planning thread around and including summaries/links to the external board RP in the game archive would let the presence stay, if only in a small way.

Of course, I don't know if it's that easy to set up a small external board for this purpose, so I'm not sure how well it'd work... outright endorsing an RP-centered place as a sister site would work around that, but it'd be a fair bit to ask. Maybe bring it up with Gap and Nemo if people think it's worthwhile.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2010, 08:10:30 AM »
I think Mus is off base here. Just because your stuff isn't on first page doesn't mean it's not going to get posted to. A GM is going to have to remind their players about that, though.

Really, there's nothing to stop a multi-player RP from thriving. The trick is to make it interesting-enough to appeal to the base here. Which means the mechanics you use will either have to be really well known, or pretty simple. And on the story side, the setting will have to be interesting and lively enough to accommodate a wide range of character types. Now, obviously you can place limits ("I want all the characters to be natives of this little town") and so on, but you have to develop the things you want, game-wise and story-wise, enough to make what you want focused on to be interesting. Trying not to stretch credibility helps, too.

I'd be willing to help anyone with that kind of thing, I should say. Just punch me here or in a PM.

I think you'll find interested people if you do that. Then you just have to beat on them to post. And keep posting regularly yourself. Generally, if you get one or more posts out of everyone a day, your RP will thrive. And, it'll likely stay on the first page all the time.

Carthrat

• HITLER OF LURKERS
  • MEIN MAIDENKAMPF
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2010, 02:03:30 PM »
I think it's better to, when creating these threads-

-Strongly define the setting early on
-Strongly define how the game is played early on; is it a traditional 1 GM/x players romp where the GM maintains world control, or is it more collaborative, etc; make sure expectations are defined
-Recruit your player pool before beginning, and don't just let anyone jump in and post without prior consultation.

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
All this talk reminds me, I ought to get my ass back to NQ.  :3