Author Topic: Everlasting Wanderers  (Read 15270 times)

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Re: Everlasting Wanderers
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 07:17:03 PM »
Picture Koakuma's accent to be like a sterotypical Hollywood Victorian-era/French modified.

Also, because I know that some people don't read in English as a primary language, and making a phonetic accent can potentially kill the flow of the story for them, I have the transcript of Koakuma and Sara's dialogue included after this excerpt.

Koakuma sniffled. Sara glanced over her shoulder and saw the other librarian behind her, standing safely out of flailing range. The bespectacled woman nodded at her.

?Ah, hello again, Koakuma. Sorry about before,? she said.

?Gohd mor?ing, Sara. Woad yoo please come wit mi?? Koakuma extended a hand beyond her, indicating another stretch of the library?s vast floor. A small table was visible, near the far wall.

Apparently, Gifts of Language didn?t translate accents ? just enough to hear the words.

Sara nodded, and Koakuma turned about to lead the way. Sara took the opportunity to look Koakuma up and down ? her wings were usually tucked behind her back, almost entirely hidden from view when the redhead was facing you. Even from behind, though, her long hair obscured her largest wings, which in turn were folded over the smaller wings below them.

As the two of them left Patchouli?s podium, Sara came up alongside her. ?You?re very good at making the wings inconspicuous ? how do people react to them when you open them??

Koakuma shook her head. ?T?ey do not. I do not leeve t?e librerry; t?e only people who see mi on a ragular bazis are t?e visitors to t?e Voile. And even whin I?m ?ere in t?e librerry, if I need to fly, I can do so wit?out flapping t?em incessantly. T?ey are steel strong enough to lift mi if I need to, ?owever.?

Of course, it probably didn?t hurt that the librarian was already petite and light to begin with; when Sara had clipped her, she felt almost no resistance ? Koakuma wasn?t able to stand her ground, and was shoved aside immediately.

?So, what?re we doing?? she asked the librarian.

?Teaching you ?ow to reed. Milady Patchouli made certain to set aside time for mi to teach you, un?erstand. She knew she woad be very preoccupi?d by t?e yoonge man, and woad inseezt on studying him at the excluzion of everyt?ing else.?

Sara sighed. ?Of course.? She shook her head. ?Well, I?ve never learned how to read before, even in my own language ? the most I can understand is sheet music.?

Koakuma smiled pleasantly and nodded. ?Coad you pear?aps write some sheet muzick? We coad use it as a neuter?l ground if it is similar enough.?

At the very least, it?d get her mind off things. ?Yes, I can write music. It?s actually how most musicians actually think when they?re playing.?

Koakuma held the sheet of music that Sara had transcribed in her hands. ?Vury fasenating.? She started to whistle softly.

Sara almost did double take. Koakuma was reading her music, and was keeping in perfect key ? including with all the sharps, flats, and major/minor keys that she?d shifted back and forth through for the different verses. She even read and interpreted the vibrato correctly, and was surprisingly talented at whistling in vibrato.

?Waz t?is correct?? Koakuma asked, setting the sheet music down on the small study table they were using.

?Yeah? it was? well, actually, it was perfect.?

Koakuma beamed, and the waves of genuine camaraderie radiating off her helped to buoy Sara?s spirits. ?T?en we have commun ground! We shall start wit? t?e written form of music, t?en ? translating it to words.?

She sat down across from Sara and produced a quill and sheet of paper. ?Let us begin, t?en!?

Koakuma: *sniffle*
Sara: Ah, hello again, Koakuma. Sorry about before.
K: Good morning, Sara. Would you please come with me?
S: ...you're very good at making the wings inconspicuous - how do people react when you open them?
K: They do not. I do not leave the library; the only people who see me in a regular basis are the visitors to the Voile. And, even when I'm here in the library, if I need to fly, I can do so without flapping them incessently. They are still strong enough to lift me if I need to, however.
S: So, what're we doing?
K: Teaching you how to read. Milady Patchouli made certain to set aside time for me to teach you, understand. She knew she would be very preoccupied by the young man, and would insist on studying him to the exclusion of everything else.
S: Of course. ...Well, I've never learned how to read before, even in my own language - the most I can understand is sheet music.
K: Could you perhaps write some sheet music? We could use it as a neutral ground if it is similar enough.
S: Yes, I can write sheet music. It's actually how most musicians think when they're playing.
K: Very interesting. ♪♪♫♪♫~ Was this correct?
S: Yeah... it was - well, actually, it was perfect.
K: Then we have a common ground! We shall start with the written form of music, then - translating it into words. Let us begin, then!

Also, HURRAY PAGE TWO (You unlocked Achievement: Second Page)

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 01:53:37 AM »
To keep things simple, Koakuma started with the numbers, correlating them to the time signature on the music sheet and using one through four ? for quarter, half, and whole notes ? as a means of getting started.

From there, Sara's thirst for knowledge only grew. She mastered numbers almost immediately, needing very little rehearsal. After that, the librarian sketched out the alphabet, then wrote down all the various musical terms she knew off-hand and helped Sara correlate letters with their sounds.

For nearly two hours, Sara was completely absorbed in the lessons, turning down Koakuma?s repeated offers for fresh tea, looking back and forth from book to book and pushing herself to identify letters and words. She didn?t notice Acied had been watching her until he sat down next to her with a tray of tea, laden with four cups.

?Hey. Sakuya?s awake now, but she?s busy with her duties for now. She said she?d be available to join us in about twenty minutes.? He set the cups out, one in front of Sara, Koakuma, and himself. Patchouli finally strode over and helped herself to the last one, standing next to Koakuma.

?I have a question, Sara,? she said, slowly turning the tea, letting it steep further and watching as it clung to the sides of her cup.

Sara didn?t look up for more than a second. ?Yuh-huh?? she grunted, and turned her attention back to the books spread out in front of her.

?If you?re telepathic, why haven?t you managed to learn how to read from other peoples? minds??

Sara still didn?t look up from the pieces of parchment and books scattered in front of her, though she did pause for a moment. ?There are differing levels of telepathy on Kaetir. A powerful telepath could probably pick up trade skills and languages by being around people who knew them, but if anyone who can?t naturally do that tries to, they?re liable to render themselves brain-dead. On top of that, taking something from someone improperly can do the same to the other person, or maybe you?ll try it on a Magus who can detect you prowling around. If I wanted to, sure, I could probably read Acied?s every thought ? but he?d know immediately when I was doing it and what I was looking at through his mind. It?s not because he?s a telepath ? he?s not ? but because Magi have natural defenses against that kind of thing. They can also nullify weak telekinesis in their vicinity without knowing it.?

Patchouli took a small sip of the tea. ?Ah, I see. What other things can Magi do that affect from these? paranormalists??

?We call them Mentalists. And, I dunno ? why don?t you ask Acied?? She didn?t say it with any venom in her voice. If she hadn?t had her head down, though, anyone could?ve seen the hard edge her eyes took on and the slightest scowl creep across her face.

Koakuma blinked, and then cleared her throat. ?I do apologize, Milady Patchouli, but you are intearupting t?e lesson. Woad you pearaps prefar to teach t?e lesson instead?? She started to rise from the chair she was sitting in, but Patchouli touched her shoulder lightly, halting her.

?No, I?m feeling a bit weak. I haven?t gone to sleep since they left last night, anyways ? once I finish my tea I believe I will retire for the night.?

Sara looked up. ?But it?s midday. Aren?t there any windows in here?? she asked.

Patchouli turned to stride away, but paused for a moment with her cup of tea halfway to her mouth. ?That would be rather amusing, I suppose. No, seeing as how the Mistresses of the Mansion are vampires, windows would be a bad idea. They are weakened immensely by sunlight.? She took a small draw from the cup and strode away, cup in hand.

?Huh. Vampires. Still haven?t gotten her to tell me what that means,? Acied said.

?Probably more interested in you than in teaching you,? Sara spat. Koakuma?s eyes widened slightly, but neither Kaetin was looking at her.

?Probably. Anyways, how?s it going here? Need a hand?? Acied gestured at the parchment in front of her.

?What, did she already teach you how to read their language?? Sara blurted out.

Acied either ignored or didn?t notice her tone of voice. ?No, but I already know how to write in ours. I can read, remember? Just tell me what each of these letters sounds like and I?ll write down our equivalent.?

Sara paused, and looked up at Koakuma. The winged librarian fidgeted slightly, and her fluttering head-wings caused her red hair to ripple slightly.

?How would that help me? I can?t read, period ? our language or theirs.?

Acied leaned against the back of Sara?s chair and ?hmm?ed to himself. ?Good point, didn?t think of that. Well, at the very least, why don?t you tell me what these letters are anyways? Let?s see how far you?ve gotten.?

?No, go away ? it?s embarrassing enough as it is.?

Acied blinked and stared off into space for a moment. ?Ah, right then. I?ll go wander somewhere? over there, I guess.? He gestured with his cup of tea, and then followed in its wake, letting his whims (and the cup of tea) lead him away.

Sara sighed and dropped her head to the desk. ?Ugh.?
Koakuma looked back and forth between Sara and Acied?s rapidly retreating form. ?Um? just to let you know, ?e was watching t?e lesson for an ?alf an hour before ?e went to get t?e tea. ?e left Patchouli?s side before that, and wandared t?e librerry. I?ve been watching ?im since we started t?e lesson,? she said.

Sara barked out a laugh, making Koakuma start slightly in her seat. ?Ha! You, too??

?No, ma?am. I already know ?ow to reed. Yoo?ve been doing some prettey intenze studying on yoor own for a good time.?

Sara grimaced; she?d been tapping into Koakuma?s mind, trying her hand at the very thing Patchouli had suggested. With the added advantage, she?d been picking up on the necessary skills to read quicker than she?d expected.

Now, however, through the feather-light contact she was maintaining with the librarian?s mind, she felt disappointment.

?Young Mistress, I put shame on you. ?e is yoor companion from yoor world, ?e is yoor companion in yoor travels, and for as subtle as you aren?t behaving, ?e is yoor companion. Yet, you spurn ?im and drive ?im awey from you wit much scorn and jealousy in yoor words ? what ?as ?e done to deserve such treatment? What ?ave you done to give you t?e right to treat ?im as such??

Sara rocked back in her chair. Koakuma didn?t relent.

?And bezides t?at? coad you not tell t?at ?e wanted to join us in t?e lesson? ?e does not know ?ow to read our language, eit?er. ?e needs t?e lesson just as much as you ? who are you to deny ?im t?at? What ?as ?appened between t?e two of you?? Koakuma sat back, and the disappointment in her mind was replaced with concern. She wasn?t scolding Sara anymore, she was actually worried for her.

The sudden change in emotions caught Sara off-guard, and she severed the connection quickly. However, when your mind is connected to another?s, short of pre-maturely disconnecting, everything they feel will affect you somehow.

The concern that Koakuma felt for her ? someone she?d just met, and who had hit her in the face, no less ? grabbed hold of Sara?s heart and wrenched at it. Again, she wondered why people were being so kind and generous to her; a complete stranger in their lands was being treated with camaraderie and respect, rather than attacked and taken for their worth. Kaetir wasn?t a terrible place, but it wasn?t as good as this.

Rather than saying any sort of defense she could form for herself, though, Sara just sucked in air pitifully and slouched, folding her hands in her lap and leaning over the table. Koakuma tilted her head in confusion, until Sara?s eyes welled up with tears and she lowered her head to the tabletop, sobbing quietly.

The librarian frowned, but made no move to comfort her. She had started to gather the books and papers from the desk to put them away, and when she leaned across to get the book nearest Sara, she heard her quietly repeating Acied?s name under her silent keening.

Koakuma stopped stacking the books and stood up straight, staring at the sad girl. She was about to fly up away from the desk to go track Acied down when he stepped up to the table at her side and ran his hand down her back.

?Hey, hey, I?m here.? He said nothing else, but Sara pushed away from the desk and leaned over, grabbing him into a hug and pulling him closer to her. He patted her head gently, and she began to sob earnestly.

When Koakuma finally gathered everything off the table and put it away, cleaning the table of the books, papers, and gathering the empty cups of tea to return to their cabinets, Acied had lowered himself down to his knees and pulled Sara out of her chair.

When Koakuma came back to gather up the chairs and the spare table twenty minutes later, Sara was curled up in Acied?s lap, clenching his shirt and crying softly still.

Acied waved Koakuma away, and when the librarian caught sight of where the table had been an hour later, they were still sitting on the floor, holding each other, ignoring everything else in the Voile, but there for each other.

lol sappy love story section

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2010, 01:34:39 AM »
For those who are interested, I have the next bits already planned out. Just haven't had much time to, you know, come home from work without being completely burnt out.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2010, 01:41:03 AM »
Just haven't had much time to, you know, come home from work without being completely burnt out.

What do you do that's so exhausting, anyway?

Not that it needs to be exhausting. My own experience with work reduced my life to "wake up, go to work, come back, eat, fall asleep, repeat cycle" until the weekends, and I had a relatively easy job copying documents.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2010, 03:34:59 AM »
Mobil 1 Express Lube. Change oil in ten minutes or less, or more if you need other services on your car. I'm a service adviser, meaning I greet everyone, get their paperwork filled out, brief them on their oil levels and conditions, and try to sell them ancillary products. Once THAT level of  customer service is done, I move on to checking tire pressure and washing windshields. The selling and windshields ain't so bad, but the tires are annoying - I'm 6'4" tall, and the cold weather as of late has been wreaking havoc on my knees as I crouch down four times per car.

On top of that, my manager is my brother, who I live with, so we take one vehicle to work to save on gas and tolls. He's the manager - he has to be in by 7 30 AM, and can't leave till the shop is completely closed down. That's usually at around 6 30 PM. I'm usually scheduled for 40 hours a week, like 8-4, 9-5, or 10-6. Regardless of that, though, since he's my brother and I basically end up just loitering around the shop for a few hours when we open, he ALWAYS tells me to get into uniform and clock in early and get to work when the first car shows up. Despite this, though, he has to edit my timeclock so I don't get epic overtime, or corporate will step in and say 'hey now, no favoritism', cuz we're brothers. The regional/district managers don't mind me working for my brother cuz we make an excellent team and I can sell ancillary left and right, but the first sign of nepotism and that comes to an end.

tl;dr, my 40 hour work week is really a 50 hour work week that isn't paid for but to an average of 42 hours. It's taxing mentally and physically.

{Edit}
This just in, I've got the next segment drafted up and am typing it into a word document. A bit different than my normally just typing it straight into the thread here, but I've had a few ideas hit me while I was meandering through the midnight hours.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:18:15 PM by Esifex »

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 03:07:47 AM »
If you have such a vivid imagination that you can project things from your eyes, then this next bit is NSFW. There's nothing explicit, just a bath scene with very little described. Also, Sara is 19, so not so loli. xP

Sara sniffled. Koakuma glanced over her shoulder and saw the musician behind her, standing a few feet away and rubbing at her nose.

?Ah, ?ello Sara. Are yoo feeling any bettir? Woad yoo like anot?er cup of tea?? she asked.

Sara considered for a moment, and Acied stepped up beside her, his duster folded over his arm.

The musician nodded. ?Yeah, yeah I?d like a cup of tea, please. I need something to calm myself down.?

?How about a bath?? Sakuya asked, appearing behind the Kaetins. Sara?s eyes lit up; she was too drained to be startled by the maids sudden appearance, or to register that she hadn?t heard her thoughts approaching.

?Oh, by the Gods, yes I need a bath.? She turned around to face Sakuya, and noted the tray of teacups the maid was carrying.

Acied noticed it too; It?s like this place runs on tea. We could probably trade tealeaves for a better currency here than any kind of money? he thought to himself. Sara had picked up on it, though, and started grinning.

?Now, now, young mistress, you?re going to relax in the bath, not play around. Wipe the silly grin off your face, please, and drink your tea ? slowly. You?re dehydrated.?

Sara tilted her head as she reached for a cup. ?No, sorry, I was grinning at something Acied thought. And what makes you think I?m dehydrated??

Sakuya gestured at Sara, then Acied, indicating their faces. ?Both of you have bloodshot eyes, your voice is coarse, and I can hear the way you?re sniffling. If I hadn?t?ve actually seen you crying earlier, everything about you would tell me.?

Sara stared at the maid as she sipped at her tea, considering her over the rim of the china. ?When did you see us crying?? she asked.

Sakuya shook her head and handed a cup over to Acied, forcing it into his hands. ?Please. I told you I?d be available in about twenty minutes after you?d arrived; did you think I wouldn?t come to the library??

The Kaetins looked at each other; How long have I been crying? Sara thought to herself. She absently looped her free arm through Acied?s, and leaned against him.

Sakuya handed the last cup past them to Koakuma, who stepped back and let them continue their conversation. Then, the maid pinned Acied in place with a stare. ?I?m sorry, young master, but you?ll have to wait your turn. We don?t have a separated bath here, and the Mansion is staffed by faeries and female youkai. Please remain in the library for the time being, or have Koakuma escort you from the Mansion if you wish to leave ??

?I?m not leaving, not without Sara. I understand though, I?ll peruse the library some more.? He liberated his arm from Sara?s grip and stepped back.

?Go on, Sara. Take your time, relax, and calm down.? He smiled warmly at her, reassuring her.

In Sara?s drained state, though, she didn?t turn her telepathy away from anyone, and caught Acied?s thoughts turning to confusion as he wondered what he?d do while waiting for her. She smiled back up at him. ?Talk to Koakuma. Have her teach you how to read their language; I?m sorry for chasing you off earlier.?

Acied?s smile turned into a grin, and the confusion was replaced with amusement. ?Right, then. Don?t worry about apologizing, I know how you are when you?re obsessed with a project.?

Sakuya had folded the tray under her arm and was standing a little further down the library aisle towards the door. ?Miss Treffhr??

Sara bowed her head to Koakuma, then Acied. The three of them unintentionally then took a draw from their cups, and Sara wanted to giggle. Her mind was racing in a million directions at once, but for now it was headed towards delirious giddiness. She was looking forward to the bath, as well.

Sara sighed. She continued sighing for a solid four seconds, and as she did, she slowly sank up to her chin in the hot water. This felt great?

The sound of someone else stepping into the bath made her pop her eyes open and reach out with her mind, but she relaxed when it was only Sakuya, easing herself into the water as well.

?You looked like you were deflating.? The maid had of course stripped down for the bath, but seemed to have retained the hair-band she wore.

?It felt like it, too. Why are you still wearing the hair-band? Won?t it get wet?? Sara brought her hand up out of the water to point at it, but by the time she could breach the surface, the band was gone.

?What hair-band?? Sakuya was grinning at her, sinking down to her shoulders into the water as well. Sara felt a small pang of envy at how much more Sakuya was endowed than her.

?Whoa. Cool trick.?

?Don?t forget, I can stop time. Watch this?? She nodded at the water in the rest of the wide, open-air bath. Sara directed her attention forward, and a series of small splashes disturbed the water simultaneously. The ripples they let out intersected and played about each other, generating very interesting and intriguing patterns in the water?s surface.

Sara flicked at the water, sending up tiny streams. ?How?d you do that?? she asked, tilting her head back and relaxing. The public baths on Kaetir were similar, but this was apparently designed for comfort and enjoyment, not utility and efficiency.

?Stopped time, shot a small spread of danmaku into the water. The bullets dissipate as soon as they strike something, so when I unfroze time, all you saw was the effect they had on the surface.

?Oh, yeah. Danmaku. Can?t wait to learn that...?

Sakuya grinned. ?Right. Well, before that, though? what?s wrong between you and Acied??

Sara?s head popped up and her eyes bugged open. ?What??

?What?s the matter, Sara??

Sara sunk down into the water, stopping with just enough space between the surface and her nose to breathe. She shook her head at Sakuya and averted her eyes.

?Look, I can?t say I know exactly where you?re coming from, but I have a little experience. My past is hazy to me, but I?m not originally from Gensokyo myself. I can understand the culture shock you must be going through, but it?ll do you no good if you just bottle it up and keep it to yourself.? Sakuya sat forwards a bit, leaning closer to the musician.

Instead of answering, Sara took in a deep breath and dropped herself underwater completely, then kicked off the rocks and swam through the warm water. She got about ten feet away from the water?s edge when Sakuya abruptly appeared in front of her, still sitting cross-legged in the water.

Sara floundered, but couldn?t stop her momentum from crashing her into Sakuya?s chest. The maid pulled her head up out of the water and cradled her, collecting the younger girl into her lap and hugging her.

?You can?t avoid the question, and you definitely can?t avoid me. Don?t try to run away from it, and don?t sit there and question why we?re being so helpful. Gensokyo is a paradise and sanctuary for all, including the newcomers.?

The physical, skin-to-skin contact between the two was almost painfully overwhelming for Sara, who hadn?t been expecting it and couldn?t shield herself from her own telepathy. The contact pulled all of her attention onto Sakuya, and her telepathy locked onto the woman?s mind. Once again, concern flooded from the contact into Sara?s mind, and she almost felt like crying some more.

Instead, she wrenched her mind out of Sakuya?s before she started invading the maid?s privacy, and found something else to discuss, a way to change the topic.

?How do you know so much about what?s going on? How?d you know I wasn?t expecting the kindness we?re being shown? How?d you know there was something wrong ??

Sakuya shook her head. ?It?s simple. Everyone here in the Scarlet Mansion lives and works together. Of course we?re going to talk back and forth amongst each other; when I came to the library and saw you and Acied ? right in the middle of the floor, no less, sobbing hysterically and giving no thought to the pathway? I kid, I kid ? I asked Koakuma what was wrong. She explained the situation to me about your hostility to Acied.
?Same thing goes for wondering why everyone was being so nice to you. Keine told me about it. The two of us gossip back and forth on a regular basis, and since we?ve seen each other daily now for the past few days, and you and Acied are the newest things in town, it?s hardly unexpected that we?d talk about you.?

Sara hiccupped. ?Of course. I should?ve realized that.?

Properly shielding her mind now, she curled against Sakuya and rested her head on the maid?s shoulder. Sakuya?s warmth was indistinguishable from the temperature of the water, but her presence was reassuring nonetheless. Sakuya absently rubbed Sara?s back, and the maternal warmth radiating from her mind increased.

?By the Gods, do you know how trying it is to be a telepath living among non-psykers? How hard it is to ignore their constant suspicion and doubt about you, when you know that it?s unbased and unnecessary for them to worry, but they?ll never know because they?re not telepaths either? I?m just as normal as they are ? except I can share my thoughts without opening my mouth, and I can hear theirs without being near them. I can see everything around me in perfect clarity with my eyes closed, but anyone with sharp hearing can do the same thing. I?m only a little different, and it?s all because of a stoke of luck! Why can?t they tolerate that??

Sakuya chuckled. ?Sara, I know precisely what you?re talking about. I?m a human? but I can stop time and manipulate space. I?m a human? but I serve a vampire mistress. I?m a human? but I can fly. I?m human, but different from a human. Just like you are. The villagers only tolerate me because I trade with them on behalf of the Scarlets, and the Scarlets ignore the village ? and because I?m not there all the time.
?Here, however? I fit right in. Sure, I?m a human, and everyone here is a vampire, youkai, fairy, or lesser demon. But they?re all just as unnatural as I am. No matter where you go in Gensokyo, you?ll always find a place that will take you in and accept you.?

Sakuya prodded Sara, prompting her to sit upright. ?When you go back in for your next reading lesson, ask Koakuma to get the History of Chireiden for you. I think it?ll be right up your alley.?

?Ah. Right. Okay, then??

Silence fell upon them, and dragged on for several moments.

?I understand you made a spellcard earlier?? Sakuya asked, lightly pushing away from Sara and floating through the water.

The thought of the spellcard helped perk Sara?s spirits up. ?Oh, yeah! I did. It?s called ?Troubadour?s Blessing?, and I can make a harp with it. Patchouli said the thingies it summons are called ?familiar?s, I think? and I can turn one into a harp.?

Sakuya nodded. ?Familiars are very helpful. You ought to be able to do more than just turn one into a harp; why don?t you try using it and practicing with it? You can?t exactly damage the place, so here is as good as any other to get familiar with your familiars.? She blinked at the unintended pun, and snickered to herself.

?Eh, I suppose so. Hang on?? Rather than swim back to the edge of the water, she simply stood unabashedly and strode to where her sundress was sitting, folded atop a towel.

Sakuya let out a moue of surprise. ?Such a lack of modesty, young lady.?

Sara looked back at her as she reached the dress and started rifling through its pockets. ?What? I?m a girl, you?re a girl. Just because I?m telepathic doesn?t mean I have anything you don?t? and with a bath this large, do you mean to tell me that you don?t bathe with the others in the mansion??

Sakuya chuckled. ?? I?m a lady. No, I suppose you?re right. Find the card??

She had. Sara pulled the card out and turned about, facing Sakuya properly. Once again, she took on the pose Marisa had when declaring Master Spark, and shouted out unabashedly, ?Troubadour?s Blessing!?

The card shattered into motes of light, which were quickly replaced by the familiars dropping into place around Sara. Just like in the library, one was directly in front of her, and the other two were at shoulder height behind her.

?So, something besides a harp, then?? she muttered to herself.

She reached out and grasped the familiar in front of her, which elongated downwards before shedding its aura of light. Clenched in Sara?s hand was a small guitar.

Sakuya swam further back away from Sara, towards the center of the bath, where the water was deep enough to tread. ?Come out further into the water, and try doing something with the other familiars. And get back in the water before you catch a chill; standing there, wet, is a good way to get sick, young lady.?

Sara chuckled. ?You?re just jealous of my feminine figure, aren?t you?? She turned and posed, holding the guitar just right to cover her stomach, leaving her breasts exposed over the top.

The glib comment must?ve struck a nerve with Sakuya, because the maid suddenly drew herself up to full height and swam towards the shallows, striding up out of the water. Sakuya clearly had Sara beat ? many times over, considering how much younger Sara was than Sakuya.

?Respect your elders, nubile little girl. Now, do I have to drag you back down into the water or will you go willingly?? The maid planted her hands on her hips, ever so slightly puffing her chest out.

Sara burst out laughing, and let go of the guitar. It hovered in place, ignored as Sara laughed at their collective behavior.

?I?ll go willingly, ma?am. I?m wondering about the guitar, though ? they?re not really meant to be played underwater.?

Sakuya shrugged, allowing herself to fall back into the water. ?Try it. It?s not a real guitar; it?s made from your familiar. It may just work. Use one of the other familiars to help you breath underwater.?

Sara blinked and sat down. The guitar resisted the water, somehow not filling the hollow. She pushed it down, expecting the air inside to make it buoyant. Instead, it went where she put it without resistance, and still kept water out of itself. A small bubble formed over the strings and hollow.

?Whoa.? She gave it a test strum; unfortunately, while the guitar seemed more than willing to be played underwater, the water didn?t seem too keen on transmitting the sound properly. Instead of a note, all Sara generated was a weird rattling noise and a small splash.

Sakuya blinked. ?I guess the laws of physics will only be so lenient.?

Sara laughed. ?I?m not even going to bother with trying it underwater ? I don?t think it?d sound quite right.?

"Well, we've got time. Try something else with the familiars, then."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:11:30 AM by Esifex »

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 04:01:24 AM »
I've got a few more pages up and going on my secondary laptop. Expect them up in a day or two.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 04:24:17 AM »
Sara sat down in the water, just shy of the gradient to the wading depths. Sakuya moved further away from her and started treading water again, watching Sara.

The guitar glowed briefly, and then shrank back into a mote of light. Sara looked at it, and pointed her finger upwards. The familiar drifted up, following her gesture.

She twirled her finger. The familiar did a small loop-the-loop. She looked over her shoulder at one of the other familiars, and it too started dancing in the air.

Sara brought her hand down, and a mask of focused determination fell across her face. The three familiars suddenly leapt away from her in a straight line, fast as an arrow. They stopped three meters away, and began to glow brighter still.

The amplified glow burst into focused beams of light, shining down on Sara in the middle of their triad. Her head tilted slightly, her chin closer to her chest now. The familiars behind her dimmed, and a solid tone started to echo forth. As Sara focused, the tone began to change pitch.

The familiar in front of her stopped shining its spotlight on her, and fell dormant as Sara focused entirely on the familiars behind her. The tone quieted, and then picked back up ? this time as a sequence of musical notes, ascending in an arpeggio before returning to a neutral C.

They stopped resonating behind her, and she looked up surprised. ?That was incredibly easy. All I did was imagine playing some music, and they did it for me??

Sakuya smiled warmly at Sara. ?Very well done, too. I don?t think anyone?s ever used familiars in such a fashion, too. I?ll have to ask Patchouli about that later.?

A stray thought from Sakuya?s mind sounded off Sara?s mind, no doubt picked up because it was directed at her. I suppose she?s a Youkai of Music, then.

Sara kept her expression neutral, instead making all three familiars go through an arpeggio. Of music? No, there?s much more to me than just music. Let them think that ? I will answer to it, but I shall be the Youkai of Cunning.

?Let?s see what other kinds of sounds I can make??

For the next twenty minutes, music could be heard flowing from the bath of the Scarlet Devil Mansion. At first, it had no audience, but slowly, a rapt group of faeries began to congregate around the chamber door, listening intently.

Acied scratched at his chin. Apparently, already knowing how to read was proving to be a disadvantage; some of the letters bore striking resemblance to the script he?d learned to write in back in his homeland, and while he didn?t know all the other alphabets on Kaetir, he could recognize some of the letters.

Unfortunately, this ?English? seemed to have taken a little from everything he knew, and it was throwing him off.

Koakuma had noticed. ?It seemz yoo must unlayern wat yoo know already, Ahseed. Pearaps we should find a commun ground for yoo like we did wit? Sara??

Acied nodded. ?If I could think of anything common ? even some of your numbers look like letters from Kaetir.?

Koakuma frowned, and grunted in consternation. ?This coad become rather difficult, t?en. We may ?ave to teach yoo by sheer repetition.?

The lesson began again, and again, starting over with the basics multiple times for nearly an hour after Sara?s departure. The fact that each letter had multiple sounds attributed to it was throwing Acied off; some of the languages on Kaetir behaved the same, but not the dominant language in Rispaire, his homeland. Instead, Rispaire?s alphabet was based on multiple cryptographs, each representing one specific sound. To read in Rispainian was to literally read phonetically.

You?d think that with only thirty-six characters I could figure this out already? why do they need to have so many different sounds for each letter? Acied scratched at his forehead, ruffling his bangs. It?d be easier to use a different shape for a different sound, wouldn?t it? Why does there need to be so many sounds put to one letter?

He heaved a sigh. ?Man. Let?s see if I?ve got this straight, then? The first of five letters, called vowels, is the first letter of the alphabet. It has two primary pronunciations, and an additional third sound when modified by surrounding consonants. ?Ae?, ?uh?, ?ah?. Right??

Koakuma nodded. ?Although, t?ere are a few moar sounds yoo are miszing for t?e letter ?a?. We?ll steek wit? t?e sounds yoo haf nao, and work wit? what yoo know so far, rat?er t?an confuze yoo wit? t?e additional sounds. Nao t?en ? what is t?e second vowel??

Acied paused for only a moment. ?Ee. Most commonly used letter in the English alphabet, has several different sounds and modifiers from consonants. Bloody hell if I can remember them, though. I think we need to? what?s wrong?? Koakuma had started blinking rapidly as Acied was talking, looking bewildered.

?Aye kinnae ayuner stayihnd you, t?e spellcard ?as fayeelud. Wish hold get Sara und wrekasdit.?

Some of the words ? ?spellcard?, ?you?, ?cannot? ? came through the language barrier as intelligible words that Acied knew. They weren?t translated into Kaetin, but nonetheless he found he knew what she was saying ? at least, in those cases.

What would it be like when he had more time under the spell?s effect?

Koakuma rose from the table and pulled a Refined Mental Arts card out of a pocket. ?Wish hold go nao. Weanihd to kasit ahn Sara, oar t?e card woant weark.?

She turned and strode towards the exit of the library, almost leaving Acied behind before he caught up with her.

Wait a second. Sara?s taking a bath.

This will NOT end well.

The faeries had given up all pretenses of subtlety and flooded into the bathing room after listening at the door for a few minutes; their mad dash into the hot bath came to an almost comical halt when they spotted Sakuya floating in the middle. When the Head Maid simply smirked and nodded at them, they continued pouring in and rushed to the waters? edge.

After a few more minutes of that behavior, their collective attention span began to wane and a large portion of them began to play in the bath. The attentive audience to Sara?s music had shrunk down to just four faeries and Sakuya, who had wrapped her towel around herself and perched atop one of the decorative rocks on the waters? edge. Despite this, Sara continued to produce entire ranges of music, playing a harp in her hands and generating supporting music from the other two familiars.

She?d just started to introduce a second instrument from each familiar when Koakuma stepped into the bathing room. Sara twisted around to look behind her at the sound of her entrance, and smiled warmly.

Then, two random neurons bumped into each other in her head and she suddenly realized that if Koakuma were there, Acied wasn?t far behind.

Instantly, the music stopped, all three familiars shattering out of existence into brief motes of light, as Sara reached out with her mind. Indeed, Acied was a short distance further from the hot-bath chamber doors, coming closer.

One of the faeries that were still sitting close to her drifted around in front of her to see what was wrong. At that moment, Sara panicked, snatched the small faerie up, sat down in the water, and tried to cover herself with an equally panicked faerie.

Koakuma easily recognized the gestures and turned about on her feet, slamming the doors shut before Acied could enter.

?Waugh!? he said as he bounced off the door that had so rudely impeded upon his path.

?Gomen nosaaai.? Koakuma seemed almost nonchalant about how she?d blocked him. She turned to face Sara, and tapped her finger to her head.

Sara stared at the winged woman, then nodded in understanding as she focused her telepathy her. ?The spellcard wore off. I need to recast it on you while Acied is nearby; the range will easily reach him from where you are now. You can? let go of the faerie. I think you?re drowning it.?

Sara looked down at the still-squirming faerie ? the same one who?s head was nearly underwater because of how she was holding it.

?Oops.? She turned it upright and patted its shoulder before releasing it, nodded in apology. The faerie scooted away, using its wings to propel itself through the water and back to the other three faeries that were listening to her play. The small group hugged the shaken faerie in an attempt to calm it down.

?Refined Mental Arts,? Koakuma stated simply, brandishing the card in front of her. She wasn?t posing as dramatically as Marisa had ? instead, she just held the card in front of her, staring past it at Sara.

?Gifts of Language!? She raised her hand up above her head, and the card traced a glowing path through the air as she did so. It stayed in one piece, however, rather than shattering apart to indicate that she?d used the entire card.

?Thank you, Sara. We will return to the library, now.? Koakuma turned to leave.

?Ah! ?wait, please. Tell Acied I?ll be back shortly.? Sara huddled down into the water, hugging her knees to her chest.

?I?d say it?s about time you got out of the water. Look at your skin ? you?re turning all wrinkly.? Sakuya grinned as she gestured at Sara. The young musician looked down at her legs and gasped in surprise.

?Ew. Yeah. Time to dry off.?

Acied sat down at the table once more, and stared at the runes in front of him. Koakuma said they were called ?vowels?, some of the more important letters. Every written or spoken word in the English language had to have at least one in it, apparently.

That?s a pretty stupid rule. Acied shook his head. Oh well, it?s how they do it. Grin and bear it.

After he had shuffled through the pages in front of him and found the one with a large ?E? scribed across the top, Koakuma restarted the lesson.

?So ? to continue, we left off wit? t?e letter ?Ee?. Yoo ware right about it being t?e most communly used letter in t?e Englisch language. Can you ??

Sara?s sudden reappearance cut off Koakuma?s lecture, as she?d stepped up silently, catching them off-guard.

?Ah ? hallo, Sara.? Koakuma sat back in the seat, allowing herself to fade from prevalence at the moment, letting Acied and Sara talk.

Acied was without words, however. Instead of the sundress she?d worn to the mansion, she was wearing an elegant dress, cinched tight with a sash tied about her stomach into a ribbon at the small of her back. The ribbon was jet black, and the dress was deep red. After the bath, having been cleaned and washed, her dark brown hair had straightened back out and was catching the light from the candles and torches in the library magnificently. As the sleeves neared her wrists, they opened up and ended in frilled lace. The skirt of the dress was layered; deep red for the outer layer, with an open patch exposing the black under-layer, with a series of white straps crisscrossing over the black. Sturdy boots with two-inch thick soles and three-inch heels augmented her relatively short height.

She grinned at him. Okay, so I?m using one of Sakuya?s old dresses? not the sundress. Still got the expected result from it.

?You look? amazing.? Acied looked her up and down. Sara?s grin turned into a warm smile, beaming radiantly in appreciation of the compliment. It was a much-needed morale boost.

?Thank you. You look scruffy.? She gave a small curtsy, and then beckoned for him to get up.

Sakuya chose this moment to appear from behind Sara. She was wearing a similar dress, but the colors were bright ? radiant blue and silver instead of red and black. It was a shocking change to her traveling cloak, or her maid?s outfit.

?She?s keeping the dress. I don?t fit into anymore, and after how long it took to get it on her, I?m not about to let her get out of it for at least another hour.?

Sakuya pinned Acied in place as he was halfway out of his chair with a glare; her stern gaze seemed to add an afterthought to what she?d just said ? ?Understood??

He nodded after a moment?s hesitation. ?Thank you ? so far, the only thing we?ve been able to get for her is Keine?s old stuff. This?ll take the burden off of her, as our host, at least.?

Sakuya nodded, and moved to seat herself next to Koakuma. ?The bath is ready for you, Acied. If there are any faeries remaining in there, they shouldn?t be. Do not hesitate to chase them out with force if you need to; faeries don?t die, even if you kill them.?

Sara and Acied stared at Sakuya, and blinked in confusion.

??what?? Sara sat down in Acied?s now-vacant seat and stared harder at Sakuya, debating on whether or not to prowl into her mind and see if she was being serious or not.

?What do you mean, ?what?? Oh ? right. Forgive me. We?ll continue Sara?s reading lesson for now, and I?ll explain on the various beings living in Gensokyo when you return from the bath,? Sakuya clasped her hands on the table in front of her, and nodded at Acied.

Taking his cue, he bowed slightly and left the library. Sara tapped her finger to her chin.

?What the hell?? she finally asked. Sakuya smirked at how she?d said it with a straight face and no inflection in her voice.

?I said I?ll explain it when Acied gets back, don?t worry. It?ll be your little mystery for now ? no cheating and reading my mind, now, okay? If you haven?t already.?

Sara shook her head. ?No, I haven?t. Let?s continue with the lesson then, please, Koakuma??

The winged devil sat upright in her chair again, and produced one of the larger books Sara had been working through when last she was studying.

?Of carse. Miss Sakuya will obsarve, pearaps??

The document I have this saved to has reached 42 pages, and that's not with all of the story involved - that's just a few snippets out of this. Granted, the paragraphs are double-spaced, so it's probably just more like 20-some pages. Still, whew.

This is what I was channeling for Sara and Sakuya's new dresses.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 03:45:34 PM »
If you haven't caught on yet, Sara isn't always forthright and honest. She's also going to suffer from mild delusions of grandeur (note her titling herself as the Youkai of Cunning, an incredibly boastful title), and when she gets around to making more cards she'll be duel-happy and confrontational with them.

Acied, for all intents and purposes, will go along for the ride, but will never be quite as good at danmaku and proper use of dueling spellcards. Instead, he's more of a 'have fun screwing around with cards' than a 'take-things-seriously' duelist. Also, being that he's a guy, he'll be very weak at any kind of magic besides spellcards.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
She's also going to suffer from mild delusions of grandeur (note her titling herself as the Youkai of Cunning, an incredibly boastful title), and when she gets around to making more cards she'll be duel-happy and confrontational with them.

She didn't strike me as being any more delusional than anyone was when they first started playing Touhou. Something along the lines of:
 \  /  
  ●  ●  
  " ▽ "
"Man I'm gonna 1cc normal and then move on to lunatic within the month!"

'cause you know we were ALL like that. >_> Don't mean it isn't hilarious, though.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 12:56:56 AM »
One lesson on the nature of faeries, two freshly bathed Kaetins, and three hours later, Koakuma and Sakuya finally called an end to the lesson. Acied had still failed to grasp more than a few letters, and only two of the vowels.

“We finish for t’e day. T’ere are daily errindz we must attend to, but tommarow is a new day. You are welcome to return at any time.” Koakuma bowed slightly as she escorted the two guests from the library and passed them into Sakuya’s care.

The Kaetins waved as Koakuma pulled the Voile doors shut behind them, then turned to follow Sakuya out – only to discover that she was still standing just in front of them, looking Sara up and down.

“The sheer inhuman nature of the both of you is something completely foreign to the world that Gensokyo is a refuge from. Everything about what you are, and what Gensokyo is, is liable to alter you – for better, or worse, I can’t say. You’re very likely going to turn into youkai; whether you retain your humanity or succumb to instinct is unknown to me, at least.

“Just know, however, that whatever happens, you’ll have an ally in the Voile Library, and I’m positive Keine will support you as best she can, as well.”

Acied blinked. “Uh. Thanks. Does that happen a lot?”

Sakuya considered for a moment, then shrugged. “To be perfectly honest, all I get is hear-say from Keine when I visit the village. There’s a steady flow of humans from the outside world who find their way into Gensokyo; nowadays, it’s because of things having happened in Outer Earth. It used to be the Sage of Youkai manipulating the border between Gensokyo and Oh-ee, pulling people in. For all that I know, that’s what caused us among the Scarlet Mansion to come to Gensokyo.”

Sara held her hand up, stalling any further explanation. “Sage of Youkai. Could you elaborate?”

Sakuya nodded. “That was the title of one of the most powerful youkai to have ever existed within, or without, Gensokyo. She was considered the Reality of Gensokyo – she safeguarded Gensokyo’s solidarity and sanctity with her power. She was able to manipulate boundaries and borders – of any kind, conceptual or actual. Here and there, sane and mad, strong or weak, real or false. She’d lived for longer than Gensokyo has existed, at least by her claim, and helped the Hakurei Bloodline create the barrier that seals Gensokyo into its own reality.

“Such power, while beyond measure, was not undefeatable. She suffered possession and ended up intercepting one of her own attacks in a fit of lucidity to defend the Hakurei Shrine Maiden. Despite her services to Gensokyo, and her final act of self-sacrifice – literally – she declined the offer to reincarnate, instead asking to be allowed to rest.”

The concept thoroughly confused the hell out of Acied. Sacrificed herself, then… asked to be allowed to rest? How does that work?

“The Hakurei Shrine Maiden at the time – a young lady by the name of Reimu Hakurei – has moved up to take her powers and responsibility. She hasn’t assumed her title, however.”

“She has The Sage’s abilities? She can manipulate boundaries?” Sara leaned forward slightly, as though intending to peer through Sakuya’s skull directly into her thoughts. Sakuya realized she might very well be doing just that.

“I’ve since lost contact with her, but from what I understand about the situation, yes, she can.”

“She can send us home!” Sara almost cheered. A here-to-fore unnoticed faerie startled at the sudden change of tone and volume in her voice.

A shadow crept across Sakuya’s face, but Sara didn’t notice. She’d turned her full attention to Acied and was clutching his hands, nearly hopping with excitement.

“You want to go back?”

The mood snapped back into neutral instantly. Sara’s smile froze on her face, and she slowly turned around to face Sakuya.

Behind the maid was Koakuma. She looked inquisitive, as did Sakuya in front of her. It was the librarian who’d asked the straightforward question, but the head-maid looked as though she were about to ask the same thing.

Sara felt a tug of disappointment at her heart. Did she want to go back? Did Acied want to go back?

Her eyes sank to gaze at the floor between her and the Scarlet Maid. She opened her mind up and outwards, finding Acied’s warmth and linking up to him.

What do we want?

”We want what’s best.”

What is best, then?

”You have to ask? Our happiness, our safety.”

But, your parents…

”Have long since known the day that I’d stop communicating with them would come, unannounced. We’ve already come to terms with it, so whatever happens shall happen.”

Sara grinned dryly and turned around to look back up at Acied. “That doesn’t answer my question, though,” she said aloud.

“We’re making friends here. I like Gensokyo, even if it’s lacking the culture and bustle of Kaetir. It has it’s own flavor, you know? And besides – what were we on Kaetir, anyways?”

“Nomads.” Sara blinked.

“So, what’s wrong with wandering here as opposed to Kaetir?” Acied offered up a grin, but through the feather-light touch on his mind, Sara knew it was more for her benefit than anything else.

“But, what about our friends on Kaetir? What about our work with Liez’rial?”

“Liez’rial wasn’t… hmm. Liez’rial may have been our friend, but we weren’t his. We’re mortals – he’s not. Also, he’s got Lucas. Sefi may miss us, but I imagine he’ll get over it real quick – he’s got his own God. Our group came together for a purpose, and we fulfilled that purpose. I saw them as acquaintances, not friends. Allies to a cause.”

Sara considered this. “You didn’t even think of those two Paladins as friends?”

At the mention of the strange title, Acied scowled. “Damian was an atheist. I’ll miss Keroth, but he ultimately followed Damian’s lead. I don’t even know where Keroth’s faith lie.”

Ouch. Sore subject. The thought leaked out from Sakuya’s mind. Sara slipped a response back to her, explaining the nature of religion on Kaetir. When the Gods themselves walked the earth, or sat with you and spoke to you, it was almost taboo to be an atheist.

“I’ll miss Kero, too. But… yeah, I kind of like this place. I’m even learning to read here.

“But we have to at least try, don’t we?”

Acied blinked. “I suppose so – we can’t be faulted for at least attempting.”

Koakuma’s face betrayed no emotion, but Sara could read more than body language. The winged librarian seemed like she’d actually miss the newcomers.

What the hell? We have nothing to offer – why would she become enamored with us? Sara’s thoughts began to roll about in her head. The racket was almost unbearable.

“Buh. Well… for now, let’s at least go home. We’ll ponder it for a while – in the meantime, we should continue as we have.”

Acied nodded. “We’ll be back tomorrow, then, Koakuma, for more reading lessons?”

The librarian and the maid both nodded, smiling warmly – as though welcoming the guests into the mansion, rather than bidding them farewell.

Sara nodded at them, then turned and strode off rapidly. Sakuya blinked at her quick departure.

Her confusion wasn’t lost on Acied. “She does that a lot – being a telepath makes it kind of hard to be around people with they’re all focused on one thing. Conflicting opinions makes it hard for her to concentrate when they’re all leeching into her head.”

“Ah. Well…” Koakuma bowed slightly and disappeared back into the library.

“That doesn’t explain why you’re still here, though. She’s leaving you behind.” Sakuya pointed down the hallway; Sara had already disappeared around the corner.

“Shit!” Acied turned and strode off – not running, but with a sense of urgency nonetheless.

Sakuya loosed a single laugh and turned around, heading the opposite direction. The Scarlet Sisters were still asleep, so there was no danger of the Kaetins getting lost and subsequently in trouble while in the Mansion.

Sara strode through the gates easily and wandered down the path that lead from the Scarlet Mansion to the forest that stood between the manse and Keine’s village.

Meiling watched her go with half her attention, continuing to focus instead on her bo kata routine. The staff had mysteriously appeared next to the gate, and she’d found it after completing one of her patrols around the mansion. Glancing about, she picked it up and began to practice some old stretches and routines, under the assumption that it didn’t belong to any of the maid-fairies, and since she was the only guardian, there were no defender faeries to have dropped it.

Seeing Sara stride away from the grounds made her pause; perhaps the staff was hers? But, the young musician didn’t stop to look for it, or even pay any attention to her beyond a cursory glance and a nod when she looked over at Meiling, in the middle of a swing.

After a few moments, when Sara had already cleared the Scarlet grounds and was nearing the forest path, Acied came out of the manse and started to follow in her wake. Meiling watched him the same as she watched Sara; keeping track of where he was, but not interrupting her kata.

Acied, however, noticed her and stopped. He watched her turn the staff through the air, passing it from hand to hand without any wasted movements. She took two forward steps and struck at an imaginary foe twice in each step, never losing momentum.

She spun quickly and lashed out with the staff, thrusting it forward while stooping down low to attack from the bottom. She held this pose for a moment, exhaled, and then straightened up.

“This is your bo-ken?” she asked Acied, turning it upright and propping it upright like a travelers staff.

Acied nodded. “However, I’m nowhere near as skilled with it as you are. What kind of discipline was that?”

Meiling picked the staff up and whirled it in her hand, bringing it behind her before spinning it around to the fore and stopping with it laid horizontal. “It is a style of my own devising, inspired by traditional Chinese Martial Arts.”

“Could you teach me? I’m not very talented when it comes to weapons; I just use my magic to alter my body, then fight hand to hand.”

Meiling nodded in approval. “That is a good way to fight. Relying on a weapon can become a crutch; you will never be confidant in yourself if you’re caught without it. Knowing how to use it properly, however, can make you that much more capable when it is provided to you. Come,” she held the staff forward for Acied to take.

He reached out and put his hand on it, but didn’t take it. “I’ll take it back, yes, but I’ll need to wait on the lessons for this. Sara is leaving me behind, and I need to stay with her – I don’t know my way back yet.”

Meiling nodded again. “Understandable. Then, something you should keep in mind when using a staff – it is best used to redirect momentum, not to halt it or strike against it. A solid thrust forward against a stationary target will easily knock them back, but if your opponent is charging you, you’re liable to break the staff or have it removed from your hands. Put the staff beside your opponent and push them alongside you.”

Acied blinked. “Ah. Okay, I’ll keep that in mind.” That’s nothing at all how the lancers fought, back on Kaetir…

Meiling stood upright, legs together and one arm behind her back. The other hand was extended forward, to the forest. “We shall eagerly await your arrival tomorrow, Master Acied.”

The Kaetin nodded in appreciation, then spun on his heel and hurried towards the forest.

Master, and not ‘mister’? I’m not THAT young!

Sara strode down the faint path towards the village in a haze. The distance she was putting between her and the residents of the Scarlet Devil Mansion was helping her clear her mind and isolate her own thoughts – Koakuma was hoping eagerly that Sara and Acied would decide to stay in Gensokyo, and Sakuya seemed eager to meet new humans – and her maternal instinct was making her protective of Sara.

The young musician looked down at the dress she was now wearing. It was elaborate, layered, and the colors were pure and deep. She’d never owned anything like this in any of her travels; the closest was when she was a musical apprentice on Kaetir, and she’d had a white dress with a blue trim to it to perform in, but that was a far cry from the elegance and extravagance of this wonderful dress. She smiled warmly to herself.

Perhaps Gensokyo wouldn’t be that bad of a place to call home. Sure, they’d had a rough arrival, but everyone seemed so friendly. Once she learned more about danmaku and magic, and made more spellcards, she’d be able to defend herself against anything that tried to attack her – with or without Acied.

Even that Fenrir youkai wouldn’t be a problem anymore, even if it were catching her scent and moving in on her now.

Wait… what? She brought her focus to her surroundings, and opened her mental awareness to the limits of its range.

She sensed Acied, halfway between her and the Scarlet Mansion, and she faintly sensed Meiling at the mansion’s gate, and dozens of myriad animals in the forest around her.

From a pocket of these animals she sensed fear and caution; it was isolated around one spot in the forest, and as the wind ruffled the leaves around her, she realized she was upwind of that spot.

She pulled her awareness out of her body and sent it to that spot.

With its snout lowered to the ground, a Fenrir youkai was sniffing intently at a tree. It raised its head up and looked in Sara’s direction.

As soon as it lowered itself into a stalking crouch and began to creep towards her, she turned her body towards Acied and broke into a run, suffering a moments disorientation as her sight and her mental awareness conflicted before she could sync her mind back up with her body.

She made it only a dozen yards before she stomped on a dead branch and it snapped loudly.

Acied! Hurry to me! The Fenrir is back and it’s made my scent! she called out into Acied’s mind, doing her best to fight the nausea caused by being mentally aware of everything around her, and running past it all. She could feel, see, and sense the Fenrir pick itself up and start to gallop after it once it heard the broken branch and her dashing away.

It was no longer concerned with stealth, and knew the woods much better than she did. It would be on her in moments if she didn’t do something.

She plunged her hand into her pockets, searching around for her spellcard. The youkai had gained four meters on her by the time she’d found it.

“Troubadour’s Blessing!” she declared, holding the card in the air. As usual, it shattered into a million motes of light before reforming into her three familiars.

She snatched the foremost familiar out of the air, dragging the ball of light with her until it reshaped itself into her harp.

Acied was nearly to her now; she stopped and turned to stand her ground against the charging youkai, in the best way she knew how to.

She began to play her harp, a furious tempo and rapid song issuing forth. The familiars beside her began to pulsate, spinning in place and humming slightly.

She set her stance and glared into the forest, towards where the Fenrir was coming from. She’d be ready to watch it coming, rather than let it pounce her from behind and catch her off-guard. Just as it came into sight, she began singing an aria, her voice ringing out. The Fenrir faltered for a moment, listening to this strange battlecry, but continued galloping towards her.

It cleared the bushes between them with a single bound, and Sara’s familiars began to spray out colorless bolts of energy at it, peppering the ground under it and whizzing just shy of its flesh.

Is this danmaku? she wondered to herself. She directed the shots to channel the Fenrir straight towards her, and then prepared to blast it with an erratic spread of danmaku bullets.

Just as it coiled its front legs to pounce on her, Acied came bursting around behind Sara. The familiars fired their shotgun spread at the Fenrir, needling its face and stealing some of its momentum from it, and Acied slid under Sara’s familiars.

He brought the staff up along the ground, catching the Fenrir in the chest. With a wordless shout, he heaved against it, trying his best to lever the hellish canine away from them.

The Fenrir yielded to the staff, its trajectory no longer terminating on Sara, but instead beyond her. The staff in Acied’s hands didn’t fare so well, however; with a solid crack it snapped in two, just beyond his leading hand.

He turned around while flinging the splintered wood from his grasp, and faced the fallen Fenrir.

The beast was already back on its feet, crouching into a pouncing stance.

Colorful Typhoon – Mountain Breaker! Comet Style!” Meiling’s voice sang out, startling the Fenrir into jumping back.

The gate guardian of the Scarlet Devil Mansion came crashing through the forest balcony, fist first, slamming into the ground, right where the Fenrir had been crouching only an instant before, with an explosion of color and a spray of dirt flying through the air.

She stood back up and settled into a combat stance again, similar to the one before her sparring match with Marisa the other day, completely unaffected by her apparent plummet from the sky. She exhaled slightly as she held one hand forward into a guard, beckoning towards the Fenrir.

Sara continued playing her harp, climbing into a crescendo. Behind her, Acied shifted into the form he’d used to help the farmers with their harvest. His wolf form was fast enough to surprise the Fenrir and escape from it, but this time it was on it’s guard, and Acied didn’t feel like playing around.

The six-legged hellhound leapt up at Meiling, who dropped back onto one leg and grabbed the Fenrir’s forelegs. She heaved and flung it up and over her, lashing up with a fierce kick with her free leg by bending completely over backwards and bracing herself with her hands.

As the Fenrir sailed through the air, Sara loosed another spray of danmaku at it, but what few shots hit didn’t seem to affect it at all. It continued to cartwheel through the air –

Until Acied snatched it in mid-flight with both of his left arms.

“Saraagh. Tell me if it’s thaaugh same waughn that attack’t uz.”

Tell me if it’s the same one that attacked us.

Sara stopped singing and focused on the Fenrir, gripped as it was in Acied’s massive fists. Its mind was hard to lock onto – it was nothing like any of the animals she was used to linking to, though it was fueled by instinct.

That must be why I can’t lock onto the youkai around here… they’re not natural, and they don’t think so much as they react.

Even so, all things have memory, and the Fenrir had recognized Sara’s scent. She nodded up at Acied.

“Guuuuuuuuuuuuhd.” The growl had so much bass to it that Sara’s ribcage rattled. Acied turned sideways, holding the Fenrir away from Sara and Meiling.

“Veegh-jence iz bezt surved immeeeediately,” he sneered down at the Fenrir.

He released the hounds’ hind legs, and then whipped the beast. On the recoil, he grabbed the hind legs in his right arms, and then roared as he stretched his arms as far apart as he could.

Meiling blinked in surprise at Acied. With a series of pops and a final, horrible ripping noise, he tore the Fenrir in half as it yowled into his fists. Acied dropped the hindquarters, then flung the still-living remainders to the ground in front of him.

Violence in life, so in death – to live by the blade is to die by the same,” Sara sang, her notes tinged with finality.

The Fenrir was wracked with spasms, causing it to flail about on the ground as it yelped. Acied loosed one final guttural roar before he slammed both right fists into the beast, pulverizing it into the ground.

Merciless, Meiling thought. Sara turned to face her.

Do unto others, before they do unto you. The musician lowered her hands from the harp, and the floating instrument and accompanying familiars faded from existence. She bowed to Meiling.

“Thank you for your assistance – we would’ve had a lot more trouble dealing with that on our own.”

“Of course. I heard you call to Acied, so I came, as well.” Meiling nodded into a half-bow in reply to Sara’s gesture, then turned. “I must return to my duties, now that you are safe.”

With that, Meiling lifted off the ground and flew up through the trees, clearing the balcony and disappearing from sight.

Sara turned to Acied as he dropped back into his normal anatomy. “Well, she’s not afraid of us, at least, and we didn’t change her opinion on us as guests because of that. Kind of makes me wonder what all she’s seen, or been through, to tolerate that.”

Acied grunted. “I’m willing to bet it’d probably be something really similar to what we’ve been through – at least, as physically and mentally taxing. Stuff like that has a nasty habit of changing a person, hardening them.”

“Flandre is the really dangerous one, though. Shorter temper than her sister, and the ability to absolutely destroy anything.” Marisa’s words floated back into Sara’s mind.

She looked over at Acied, wiping the few stains of blood off his knuckles with a leaf. “From what I understand, it’s the Mistresses of the Scarlet Mansion that make that place so dangerous to work at. Perhaps, what we just did was mild compared to what she’s used to.”

Acied chuckled. “Maybe this place isn’t so different from Kaetir, after all. Come on; let’s get back to Keine’s place. I’m willing to bet that wasn’t the only Fenrir running around here.”
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:25:42 PM by Esifex »

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2010, 07:26:42 PM »
Added a small paragraph to the end of that last snippet.

Please wait warmly while we prepare the next plotline for your enjoyment :))

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2010, 10:17:24 PM »
It wasn?t until the third lesson that they concluded that Acied was going to be incapable of learning to read more than a few simple words.

Conveniently, this was also the same lesson that Sara gained enough reading comprehension to begin teaching herself. After a few simple books (and on the strangest subjects, too - Autonomously Moving Mud Dolls; Manufacture and Applications? Just how many volumes could you write about mud?) she moved on to larger tomes. Remembering what Sakuya had said earlier in the week, she asked Koakuma for the History of Chireiden.

Acied was working with Patchouli on a set of template spellcards for himself while Sara continued her reading lessons with Koakuma. Sara was so wrapped up in learning to read that she barely noted the time Acied spent with the magician.

"The ability to line up and identify the words floating inside one's head... Is that what you call 'will'? ... I do not. The chaos of emotions gives birth to countless entities; one's 'will', whether it manifests in words or actions, is but an arbitrarily chosen representation of these." Sara read from a quote of Satori Komeiji, current head of the Chireiden. The book she was reading was the very chronicle that Sakuya had suggested; how Koakuma had managed to find it among all the books in the library was beyond Sara. It boasted a solid green binding and a single rose embroidered on the front - the spine was blank.

Koakuma beamed in approval. "Vury good! To have come so far in jist four lessuns iz most impressive. You must be a most intuitive learner amongst your -" Koakuma froze mid-compliment.

Sara sensed her shock at having nearly brought up Kaetir again and pretended to have ignored the librarian. She continued narrating the story.

"Enclosed herein is the story of my rise to power following the fall of my people, feared as they were for our races' heritage - our gift that only few of us received ? for any good thing can be seen as a political weapon, even in small doses. Our kind, that I have been named for, the satori, are graced with the Third Eye, of which we are allowed to peer into the minds of others and hear their thoughts and intentions."

Sara stared at the passage she just read and blinked at it. She read over it again.

Then, one more time.

"These 'satori' are telepaths?" she blurted up at Koakuma.

"I've nev'r met t'em myzelf, but I un'rstand t'at t'ey are. Miss Patchouli aided Miss Marisa several years ago, and Miss Marisa did 'appen to meet t'e Satori Komeiji in t'at very book you're reading from now."

Sara stared at Koakuma for a moment. "Wait - so... this 'Satori Komeiji' is still alive? And Marisa has met her?"

Koakuma nodded. "T'ats how we got a copy of t'at book. Miss Marisa brought it back and I copied it down into the book you hold in your hands."

Sara stopped and considered for a moment. So, there ARE telepaths in this world? I have to find them. They?ve got to be somewhere, in some community that tolerates telepathy. There?s no way anyone can write a book while being ostracized from society?

She began to scan through the book, focusing intently on it. On the occasions that she found a word she didn?t know yet, she said it out loud and plucked the meaning from Koakuma?s mind. The librarian defined the words verbally for Sara, but she ignored her. The mental link was far faster and much more efficient.

Koakuma smiled warmly as Sara buried herself in the book, leaning in closer and nearly touching her nose to the book. The winged librarian rose up from the table smoothly and floated away from the table, intent on refilling everyone?s teacups. Sara nodded in thanks towards Koakuma when she returned, but never took her eyes off the book.

Acied looked at the card template in his hand.

?Now, when this is turned into a proper card, will the writing be in English or Kaetin?? he asked.

Patchouli tilted her head slightly. ?I haven?t seen Kaetin script before. You?ll have to write down the name of the card as you want it to appear and let me see it first if you want it in Kaetin.?

Acied nodded. So, Patchouli was the one who made Sara?s spellcard name itself in English.

?Right. This one will be ?Spirit of Sladehawk? ? can I get another piece of parchment to write it down on??

Patchouli gestured to the quill on the table. ?Just write it on the card.
?What will this card do for you??

As he scribbled on the card ? the flowing script he was fluent in having had to stretch out and wrap around the cards? border ? he grinned. ?Well, if at all possible, I want this to have no spellcard aura. If you can detect a spellcards? activation, this needs to be stealthed to it. What it?ll actually do however is let me shape shift, without having to hear music, into another humanoid. Sladehawk was a traveling troubadour on Kaetir who was very talented at make-up and disguise for his plays; many times he?d portray a woman in an act or play and no one would be the wiser. Everyone assumed he was a shape shifter Magus, but he was actually mundane.?

?You?ve met him??

Acied shook his head and deposited the quill back into the top of the inkbottle. ?No, he?d been dead for a few generations before I was even born. I learned about him while I was in the Maging Guilds in a lesson on mundane tenacity ? how an untalented person could easily come up with ingenious ways to complete the same task or cause the same effect as a Magus who relied on their magic.?

He flipped the card over and looked at his simple graphic. It was a crude recreation of a troubadour?s mask ? an eyeless grinning visage.

?So, this isn?t a combat spellcard. This seems to be more mischievous.? Patchouli wasn?t asking, but she wasn?t accusing either.

?I have a few more non-combat cards planned, too. This style of magic opens up so much more to me than my own Magus talents; I don?t plan to use them all for fighting. Hell, that?s why I left the Maging Guilds in the first place ? the instructors wanted to conscript me to the Paladins? Combat Magus battalions so I could fight in macro-human form. My magic has excellent combat potential, but it also has heaps of utility potential. The other day, in fact ? I helped the human villagers with their harvest, by hauling around several hundred pounds of wheat on my own. That?s a much more valid use of my power than simply?? Acied trailed off as he recalled the extermination of the Fenrir.

?Well, than simply shifting into a huge muscle-bound freak and ripping something limb from limb.?

Patchouli nodded. ?Like a Fenrir youkai.?

Sharp. ?So, Meiling did tell you about that.? Acied wasn?t asking, but he wasn?t accusing, either.

?She was very impressed. Tearing it asunder would?ve been difficult for her, but you dispatched it much the same way she would?ve.
?She was disappointed that you?d destroyed your staff, however.?

Acied winced. And just after she told me what would happen if I tried to use it that exact way. ?Can we make this spellcard, now?? he grinned, uncaring if his obvious sidetrack was noticed.

?Focus on what you want this card to do. Hold it up, and I will provide the mana for it.?

Acied had no sooner lifted the card in front of him than Patchouli had sent the thin line of magic flying through the air into the slip of parchment.

After the initial glow faded, Acied looked the card over. His flowing scrawl around the borders had sharpened, no longer wavering towards and away from the cards edge, but lining it neatly instead. The troubadour?s visage was replaced by a relief of Sladehawk himself, holding such a mask over his own face. Acied blinked at it. ?I did that?? he pointed at the picture.

?As you remember him, yes, you provided an image.?

He turned the card over in his hands. The backside was a nondescript pattern, of varying shades lighter and darker than the color of the original parchment.

?Should we test it?? he asked.

The closest thing to a smile that Acied had seen come from the magician slipped across Patchouli?s face. ?That is the best part of new magic, is it not? But first, if I may see the card??

Acied handed the card over, and as Patchouli took it, a trio of identical parchment slips floated up to sit on the tabletop next to the inkbottle and quill. She placed Acied?s new spellcard under the stack and then fanned them out.

?Pardon me for doing this to your spellcard.? Acied blinked in confusion, but didn?t have time to ask.

Patchouli slipped a finger under The Spirit of Sladehawk and lifted it slightly. She touched the index finger of her other hand to the blank card at the opposite end of the small stack, then flicked the cards over so they were all face down. The blank parchment slips had the same pattern on the back of them.

?The original will be yours, of course.?

She flipped the cards back over. The three blank slips were no longer blank ? they were identical copies of Acied?s card.

?Ha! That was actually pretty cool, Miss Patchouli.?

Rather than reply, however, Patchouli picked up two of the cards ? one was Acied?s original, which she handed back to him, but the other she kept and looked it over.

?Hmm. This could be troubling. I can?t read the name of the card myself, even though I know what it says. If anyone else were to pick one of these up, they wouldn?t know what it does, or be able to use it.
?Spirit of Sladehawk!? she declared. The card flashed out of existence.

Nothing else happened. She held her hands up for inspection, and turned them over.

?It?s meant to make you shape shift into another humanoid? try it?? Acied offered.

Patchouli shook her head. ?I tried what I thought would be the proper process, but nothing is happening. It should appear that this card doesn?t grant your magic to the user, rather it just unlocks it for you.
?The good news for you, though, is that this card does indeed lack a spellcard aura. It?s not a major arcanum, after all.?

Acied let the strange term slip past him without incident. ?So, I just hold it up and say its name??

A brief nod later, and Acied was feeling rather silly standing there holding a card in the air.

?Ah? Spirit of Sladehawk!? The card disintegrated in his hands.

?Is it working?? Patchouli looked him up and down. Nothing had changed yet.

?Turn around.?

Patchouli glanced over her shoulder, assuming he was telling her to look behind her for something. When nothing presented itself for her inspection, she turned back to ask for clarification.

Instead, she found Koakuma standing in front of her, librarian garb and glasses all in one.

?So, what do you think? How do I look?? Koakuma asked.

Patchouli grinned earnestly now. ?You look and sound like her, but you lack her accent. Anyone who knows Koakuma will know you?re not her as soon as you talk.?

Not that Koakuma has ever really spoken that much on her own, anyways. Acied grinned inwardly to himself as he released Koakuma?s appearance. The spellcard reappeared before him.

?I suppose I get one transformation per use of the card, then.?

Patchouli looked down at the useless duds on the desk.

?But how long will they last, though? this will require more testing.?

Sara had burned through half of the book when Patchouli walked up to the desk they were sitting at.

Koakuma nodded up at the magician, but said nothing. Patchouli tilted her head in greeting, and then looked over Sara?s shoulder. ?What are you reading??

?History of Chireiden. Why, what?s up?? Sara blinked and looked up across the table at Koakuma, forcing her eyes to focus on something a little further away from her than her nose.

Patchouli stepped around to the side of the desk and rested a hand on top of a closed book. ?Be careful, you?re liable to ruin your eyesight by reading so closely.?

Sara nodded up at her. ?I?ll keep that in mind. ?Where?s Acied??

Patchouli leaned over her shoulder and spoke directly alongside her head. ?He?s still here ? somewhere.?

Sara startled and whirled around to look beside her; sure enough, Patchouli was there, and Patchouli was alongside the table, too. The library suddenly had double its original supply of magician librarians.

The first Patchouli stood up, a slight grin on her face as she moved to stand opposite the second Patchouli. They nodded across the table at each other, and then looked to observe Sara.

The musician picked up a leaf and slid it into the spine of the book she was reading, then closed it and pushed it a few inches further from her across the table. She looked back and forth between the two magicians, both of whom were staring impassively at her.

?Alright, Acied, I get it, you shifted into another human again.?

Koakuma looked flustered and she glanced back and forth between the two Patchoulis. Sara studied them quickly; neither was grinning, so there wasn?t any hope of finding Acied?s telltale smirk. The mental presence of the real Patchouli was drowning everything out with its radiance, and Sara had to focus intensely to get a read on anything around her. Across the table, Koakuma had calmed down and was smiling warmly as she caught on.

Sara forced her focus into Koakuma?s sphere of mental awareness, trying to pick up on anything she may have missed.

There wasn?t any music; she wasn?t playing anything, and the rest of the library was silent.

?You made a spellcard?? she asked. The Patchouli on the left nodded. ?Yep.?

Left-Patchouli pulled the chair out and dumped herself into it with a supreme lack of grace, while the Patchouli on the right eased properly into her chair. Once they were sitting, the differences were obvious.

The real Patchouli sat properly, her back more upright with one hand in her lap and the other on the table. Acied, as Patchouli, was slouching over the table, both elbows on the surface and drumming his/her fingers across the tabletop.

?So? you made a card to pretty much replace me?? Sara glared at Acied. S/He stopped drumming his/her fingers and blinked at her.

?What? No!?

Sara stood up and shoved the thick book she?d been reading towards Acied. S/He scrambled to catch it before it fell off the side of the table and onto the floor. Koakuma and Patchouli Prime blinked in surprise at Sara.

?Have fun learning to read,? Sara spat. As a parting shot, she focused her mind as sharply as she could and blasted a surge of telepathic wavelengths at Acied, then turned to leave, striding quickly out of the library.

Acied rocked back in his chair, blinking stupidly. The psychic attack didn?t cause any physical damage, but it did overwhelm his mind as Sara had turned the white noise and feedback from other minds she detected and focused it into his. If Acied were a telepath he wouldn?t have noticed it, having been used to the same sensations, but since he wasn?t, Patchouli?s aura alone nearly knocked him out.

The link had only lasted for a second - effectively startling his mind rather than assault it. He shook his head and instantly regretted it; his brain was still recovering, and the sensations of motion threw him off again. He slumped forward and dropped his head onto the desk with a dull thud. The library door slammed shut at about the same time.

?Ooooow, dammit. What?d I do this time??

Patchouli Prime considered her copy slumped over the desk. ?Apparently, you seem like you?re replacing her. After all, wasn?t that the point behind making this card? To allow you to shapeshift without music??

Acied perked upright. ?Shit. I should?ve known she?d not take kindly to this.? He braced himself on the table and rose, checking himself.

?I?ll be back later ? maybe not today, though.? Still in Patchouli?s form, he chased after Sara?s wake, leaving the two librarians sitting at the table.

Patchouli cocked an eyebrow at nothing in particular, assessing the situation mentally. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Koakuma grinning at her.

?Yes, Koakuma?? she asked.

?Pardun me for zaying, madam? but too hear yoo swear was interesting.?

Patchouli nodded. ?Yes, yes it was.?

Sara stormed out through the gate, pausing only long enough to throw the catch on the iron-wrought portcullis before dashing away from the Mansion.

From her vantage point atop the mansion, Meiling watched her go. Such haste. What drives her so?

A few moments later, Acied came dashing out of the Mansion, as well.

Meiling took two strides towards the edge of the rooftop, and then leapt into the air. She didn?t need to augment her jump with flight to clear the balcony below her, or to make it completely over the rest of the Mansion as it sprawled under her.

Just as she made contact with the ground, Acied made it to the gate. Beyond it, nearly to the forest, Sara stopped and whirled around. She shrieked something back at Acied, who stumbled and ran into the iron gate. He rebound off it and collapsed in a small cloud of dust, and Sara turned back and ran into the forest, down the faint path.

Seeing the altercation unfold in front of her, Meiling lifted off the ground a few feet and flew forward, skimming the ground and eating up the last few yards between her and Acied in a matter of seconds.

She helped him sit upright. ?What?s wrong? What happened?? she asked, patting dust off the back of his tunic. Acied looked around, trying to focus on Meiling.

?Dammit, she blinded me again. I can?t see where exactly you are, Miss Meiling.
?Can you open the gate for me? I?ll be able to see in a few moments.?

Meiling nodded, and rose to work the catch on the gate. Behind her, Acied climbed unsteadily to his feet. After only a moment, she had the gate opened again, waiting for him.

?Do you need a hand? She?s running pretty quick.?

Acied blinked repeatedly, looking towards Meiling. ?Hmm. She?s pretty pissed right now ? putting yourself in front of her might not be such a good idea, but I could use a hand finding her. I doubt she?s going back to the village, that?d make it too easy to find her. You can fly, right??

?Yes, of course. Just about every youkai can fly.?

Acied?s head whipped around and he forced his eyes to focus on where he though Meiling was. ?You?ve gotta be kidding me! What if another Fenrir finds her??

?Oh! No, no? I meant ?just about every humanoid youkai can fly?. I apologize.?

?Oh, thank the Gods.? His relief was visible.

He rubbed the back of his hand across his eyes. ?My sight is starting to come back. It?ll be another minute or so before I can see properly ? could you take off and start searching for her??

?Of course.? Without another word, Meiling turned and leapt into the air, coursing over the forest rapidly, gaining altitude.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »
Sara stopped in the middle of the forest path. Just through the break of trees to her left she could see water ? a lake.

She turned towards it and walked forward, sullen. Her mind was opened up to the limits of her range ? she could sense the fuzzy presence of the human village, the wildlife around her, the Scarlet Devil Mansion and its inhabitants, a veritable city of minds on the mountain cresting over the horizon, life in all its forms. Nothing hostile or overly sentient was near her at the moment, though. The lake was almost devoid of cognitive thought, and she didn?t feel like being harassed by anyone, asking why she was upset.

She walked to the shore and looked out over the lake.

What the hell? I can sense the faeries in the Scarlet Mansion, why couldn?t I sense them?

Roughly an acre?s length away was a small cloud of faeries buzzing over the lake, swirling through the air and playing. One particular faerie, clad in white, was watching over them with her arms crossed. The water under her seemed to be misting up, with a thin fog wafting off it. The serious air of this faeries pose almost made Sara smile. From what Sakuya had said about faeries, they were all mischievous and unconcerned with pretty much anything.

Sara turned away from the faeries and walked along the shore of the lake, alone with her thoughts. She enjoyed it like that; silence, nothing bleeding into her mind from anyone else.

That silence was abruptly broken. A radiant mind ? not nearly as bright as Patchouli?s, but brighter than the average human ? suddenly barged into her awareness. It was close to her, by the nearest edge of the rows of tall, tan flowers.

And it seemed to know she was there. Fantastic. Here they come.

?Heeeeey~!? a girls voice called out. ?Whatcha doin?? A pair of hands waved at her over the top of the flowers, weaving their way through the stalks before finally bursting through.

A strange sight greeted her. A tall woman, clad in a white dress with a sash decorated with multi-colored crystal jewels hanging from it, long blue hair topped by a black sun-hat with? peaches on it. Sara looked again, and gave the fruits a quick mental inspection. They were real, live peaches ? fresh enough to be plucked off the hat and eaten.

?Walking. Thinking. Enjoying the fresh air. What are you doing?? Sara replied back.

The woman ? no, just a taller girl ? stopped short of her and looked her up and down, grinning stupidly. ?Seeing what you?re doing.?

Sara resisted the urge to heave a contemptuous sigh. ?Well, looks like you?re done then. What?s next on the list??

?Find out what you?re thinking about, obviously!? Blue said, clasping her hands behind her back.

Sara?s eyes narrowed. An idiot. Clearly, an idiot. But, what harm could come from talking with her? Get my mind off? stuff.

?Well, that?s a story, so you?ll have to come with me, then.? Sara turned towards the tall flowers and strode forward. Blue looked at her, watching her go up to the flowers.

Sara stopped in front of one and looked up at it. She popped up onto her toes, trying to stretch up to sniff it without pulling it down towards her, but it was too tall.

Blue stepped up alongside her. ?Hmm. Hang on.
?Hi ? Sou!?

A red blur lashed out, terminating in Blue?s fist. The flower in front of Sara twitched, and then began to fall over slowly. Blue reached out and grabbed it, stopping it from falling to the earth.

?Here ya go! Sniff to your hearts? content. Were you thinking about sunflowers? ?Cause that?s not really a story, you coulda just said ?I?m thinking about sunflowers?.? She held the flower out, but Sara didn?t take it.

?I was thinking about sunflowers. But that?s not what I was thinking about.?

Blue held her free hand up, and a massive stone slammed into the ground. Strangely, it didn?t make a dust cloud upon impact. She sat down on it. ?You?re not making any sense. Aren?t you a human??

Sara sighed. ?That?s what I was thinking about. Am I a human, or am I? one of these ?youkai? things? What about you ? what are you??

Blue turned away from her atop her stone seat, and then leaned over backwards. Somehow, the hat didn?t fall off her head, nor did the peaches fall from the hat. ?First off, I?m not a ?what?, I?m a ?who?. My name is Tenshi Hinanai! What?s your name??

?Sara Treffhr, telepath of Kaetir, nomad and Troubadour of the Mental Aria.? Sara blinked at herself, recalling her official title as a telepathic musician.

So much for the Mental Aria now? no other telepaths around who know it.

?Well, looks like you?ve told me ?who? you are, and ?what? you are, too. It?s only fair I do the same. I?m a celestial!? Tenshi turned back around, sitting upright and facing her.

?Celestial? Like a God??

Tenshi paused and ?hmm?ed to herself. ?No, not really like a God, but? something like a God.?

?Now you?re not making any sense.?

?Well, you lose, ?cause you haven?t answered my question yet. Whatcha thinkin? about??

Sara started to walk along the edge of the flower field. Tenshi watched her meander away, leaning further and further over on her stone until she straightened up.

Abruptly, the stone began to spin, grinding across the ground. Tenshi remained seated on it, smiling warmly and staring at nothing as she revolved around like a top. Sara stared at her, eyes wide.

What? the HELL.

?Uh. Right. Uh? well, hmm? It?s a really long story.?

Tenshi slid up beside Sara and came to a halt, conveniently facing her. ?Well, we got time. Tell it!? She held the sunflower up into the air, and another stone, similar to the one she was sitting on, slammed into the ground.

Sara shrugged and sat down on the new seat. May as well tell the story.

Wow, that really sucks! Tenshi thought as Sara narrated her story.

Throughout the dictation, Sara had gotten up, paced around, sat down, gotten up, sat on the ground, laid down on her back, gotten back up, paced around the keystones, and sat back down on hers.

What had compelled Tenshi to come down from the sky and talk to her had long since left her mind. Instead, now, she was enrapt with Sara?s story, eagerly eating up the gossip. Life in the heavens was so dull, nothing happened ? least of all, drama like this.

?That?s just wrong.? Tenshi waved the sunflower through the air, tossing it aside. ?It?s like he?s completely forgotten about what you?ve been through together ? least of all that the two of you are outsiders from the same place! If you?d come from separate places, I?d understand where he?s coming from, but this? no way.? She got up, and the keystone she?d been sitting on obliterated itself from existence. ?It?s like he just ?? she conjured up the Sword of Hisou ?-doesn?t-? raised it over her shoulder ?-care!? and slashed at a row of sunflowers. The line of bisected flowers fell to the ground lamely.

?Feelings are like these flowers, you know! They?re so pretty, but so easily damaged.?

?They are, aren?t they?? another voice interjected.

Tenshi jumped. Sara looked beyond the celestial and saw two people standing there ? a man and a woman.

?Oh, wonderful. It?s Tenshi, again.? The man shook his head and sighed. Sara almost giggled at what he was wearing ? the blue and yellow crosshatched outfit looked out of place for the bored-and-serious-at-the-same-time expression he wore.

The woman next to him was wearing a red and yellow crosshatched vest over a white blouse, and her dress matched the vest. A pink parasol completed the image.

Tenshi looked like she was going to faint.

?Yes, again. Like she hasn?t learned her lesson.? The woman turned the parasol in front of her and closed it, then stabbed the point into the ground. Tenshi took a step back.

?Don?t hurt her!? a voice shouted out. Sara jumped to her feet.

Acied was dashing towards them.

?Oh great. What now?,? the blue-clad man said.

Red turned back from Acied to face Tenshi. ?Too slow.? She dashed forward and slammed her fist into Tenshi?s face, snapping her head back. The celestial dropped like a sack of rocks.

?What the hell?? Sara looked down at Tenshi?s crumpled form, then back up at the green-haired woman. Her fist was still extended, but there were no bruises forming on her knuckles.

The only other time Sara had seen someone get knocked out with a single punch was back on Kaetir, when a God-powered bard with a spiked gauntlet hauled off and decked a Magus. For this woman to have done it with a single punch of her unarmored fist, without any harm to her own hand? Sara knew better than to let her get close.

Acied stopped sprinting and closed the last few yards at a jog. ?What the hell? What was that?? He looked down at Tenshi?s crumpled form.

?Your little friend there has damaged my flowers for the last time. Now, do yourself, and her, a favor, and get out of here. I?m tired of you celestials killing time in my fields.? Red walked back to where her parasol was sticking out of the ground. Blue shook his head.

Acied pointed down at Tenshi. ?Actually, I don?t know who that is.? He pointed up at Sara. ?I?m here for her; it looked like the three of you were ganging up on her.?

?Oh.?

The couple in the crosshatched clothing glanced at each other. When Blue finally shrugged, Red pulled the parasol up and snapped it back open.

Blue extended his hand towards Acied. ?Sorry about the misunderstanding, then. I?m Haru, and this is Yuka Kazumi.?

Acied stuck his hand out like Haru had, and Haru grasped it. ?I don?t recognize either one of you. Newcomers to Gensokyo??

?Acied Nearl. Yes, we are.?

Yuka looked back at Sara. ?And who?re you??

Sara jumped. She was still wondering why Acied had continued to go looking after her for so long.

?Sara Treffhr.?

Yuka looked her up and down, then turned back to watch Haru and Acied.

After Haru had managed to free his hand from Acied?s grasp, Yuka said to him, "Go ahead and chat with them - I know you want to. I'm going to take care of the flowers." Haru nodded at Yuka as she strode past the dessicated flowers, which almost immediately regrew.

?So. Outsiders, then.? Haru didn?t ask.

?Yup. We?ve only been in Gensokyo for about two weeks now, staying out of the human village with Keine. She?s been helping us get acquainted.?

?Yeah? She?s pretty helpful, like that. Tell me, how is the outside world??

Acied blinked stupidly. ?Um. We?re not from the outside world, we?re from another world entirely.?

?Really. And you?ve already learnt English?? Haru tilted his head ever so slightly, an interrogative glint in his eyes.

?Nope. That would be a spellcard, drafted up by the magician librarian at the Voile Library. It?s translating everything we?re saying to each other telepathically through Sara over there ??

?Sara?? Acied looked past Haru. Sara was nowhere to be seen; just Tenshi?s crumpled body next to the large rope-bound stone.

Aw, dammit.

Haru looked behind him. ?I know she was here, too. Just saw her myself. Do you think she ? oh, wonderful. I think she went after Yuka.?

Haru?s tone of voice did nothing to reassure Acied. ?Is that bad?? he asked.

?It's just always... wise to be careful around her. If she's in the mood all you have to do is look at her funny and she might start off - and after Tenshi's stunt, I'm willing to bet she's 'in the mood'. But you two are humans, right? You're probably better off for that. She likes to test her power against more magical beings.?

Acied nodded. ?Best we can tell, yeah. I mean, we have abilities, but? I?m pretty sure we?re anatomically the same.?

?Great. Come on,? Haru turned and began pushing through the sunflowers.

?Yes?? Yuka didn?t turn to face Sara, instead studying a small row of sunflower stalks, slowly spinning her parasol on her shoulder.

?Didn?t say anything. Just didn?t want to be around those two.? Sara looked at a few of the taller sunflowers, a bit amused at how they looked like they were looking back down at her.

?Keep it that way and we?ll be alright. And don?t touch the flowers.? Yuka reached out and turned a sunflower slightly, inspecting it.

?What?s your problem? Are you the gardener here?? Sara looked sidelong at Yuka, who sighed and dropped her hand from the sunflower.

?You could say that. This is the Garden of the Sun - my field - and I don?t appreciate people damaging my property. Is that a problem??

?That?s not, but there?s no reason you need to be so damned unsociable about it. Would it kill you to have a conversation with me?? Sara stood up on her toes again, sniffing at another sunflower without pulling it towards her.

Yuka rolled her eyes and finally turned to look at Sara. ?No, but it might kill you. Aren?t you at all familiar with the Sleeping Terror??

Sara looked over at her, then back to the sunflowers. ?No. I?m not, actually. Just got here, and so far, everything else has been going wrong for me. It?d be just my luck to run into this ?Sleeping Terror? and get mauled by it.?

Little do you know. The thought echoed from Yuka?s mind, who smirked at Sara.

?Oh? You?re the ?Sleeping Terror?? What, so as long as you?re awake, I?m safe, then? Is that it??

Sara had a feeling that she shouldn?t be so hostile towards someone she just met, but her mood was weighing down on her and clouding her judgment. That, and the fact that Acied wouldn?t stop chasing after her just to slap her in the face repeatedly.

What is this girls? problem?

?My problem is I got sucked to another world where I have NO bloody clue what the hell is going on, the only person who came with me is indifferent about it all, I lost my harp, all the other humans are afraid of me even though I?m just a God-damned human like they are too, and? and? aaaaaugh!? Sara clenched her fists together at her sides, snarling at the ground.

Yuka turned to face her properly now. ?You?re a telepath, aren?t you?? she asked.

Sara glared at her. ?Yes! I am! Are you gonna run away, too?! Are you afraid I?ll ?seize your mind? and control you?! Are you afraid that I?ll dig through your memories and find all of your deep, dark secrets? Or can you just accept that I?m a little different from you and GET THE HELL OVER IT?!?

Haru and Acied bursting into the row of sunflowers they were in punctuated Sara?s yell. Haru looked from Sara to Yuka. Yuka had stopped spinning her parasol, and her smirk was slowly fading into a sneer. Amusement radiated out of her mind. Such defiance, and in my field no less! "You really don't know who I am, do you?"

?Oh, boy. Here we go, again." Haru motioned for Acied to step back.

"You misunderstand, little girl. I've met plenty of telepaths in my time to become accustomed to them. In fact I... own someone with powers I consider much more invasive than telepathy and I have no problem with her." Yuka continued to grin. "I know you're not a human, besides they're not telepaths. You're not a Satori either. Show me, show me what you are. You have spell cards, right?"

Sara blinked. ?I have one.? She pulled Troubadour?s Blessing from her pocket and turned it over in her hand.

?Is it a pattern, an ability, or a scatter card?? Yuka asked.

?Uh. It lets me get an instrument and summons familiars. What does that count as?? Sara held the card out.

Yuka didn?t take it. ?It's an ability card, then. You're lucky - I'll be fighting you without the aid of spellcards.?

?You?re on!? Sara challenged, snatching her card back into her fist.

"You have courage. I admire that, at least - but you truly have no idea what you're getting into, then, do you?" She continued to twirl the parasol across her shoulder.

She pointed into the air, and began to swirl her finger slowly in a large circle. ?I suggest you get your danmaku ready, little girl.? Above her finger, tracing out the circle she was drawing, a flat disc slowly coalesced. It wavered into opacity, resolving into a sunflower shape.

?I?m not a little girl ? not by a long shot. Troubadour?s Blessing!? she declared.

Suddenly, Yuka whipped her hand forwards, pointing at Sara. The sunflower-shaped disc launched forth, hurtling towards Sara.

Surprised, Sara ducked back and dropped to her knees, folding down as best she could. Her familiars scattered upwards, and Yuka?s shot whirled by, right through the space Sara had just been occupying.

?Come, then!? Yuka kicked off from the ground, launching into the air. Once she?d risen to ten meters altitude, she began to spray more danmaku down at Sara.

?Hey, no fair! I can?t fly!? Sara scrambled back, her familiars weaving through the air frantically, avoiding as much of Yuka?s barrage as they could.

?Have you tried?? Haru asked. He hadn?t really intended anything by it, but Sara narrowed her eyes.

?No, I haven?t.? Two of her familiars darted towards her, and pinned themselves to her back.

A moment later, and when the glow faded, a pair of wings were opening from Sara?s shoulder blades.

Acied had to do a double take. Holy crap! It?s like she?s channeling Liez?rial...

Sara kicked off the ground as well, trying to mimic Yuka?s powerful launch. Instead, unused to the sensation, she bobbed forward and began to glide along the ground, just barely clearing it. Her third familiar zipped along, just in front of her, as she scrambled for control.

Yuka stopped peppering the ground with her flower-shaped danmaku to watch Sara stumble through the air.

?Come on, girl! You can do better than that!? She began to cackle as Sara righted herself and ran across the ground, bleeding momentum off.

?Because you were perfect at it when you started!? Sara retorted.

Haru chuckled. "You'd be surprised how much Yuka makes you improve. I'd be half the youkai I am now if she was wasn't here pushing me." He leaned over towards Acied and whispered. "But even then it took me forever to get the hang of flying - took multiple death threats from Yuka before I even hovered for the first time."

This time, Sara tried coiling up and jumping, with her newfound wings pumping furiously to carry her upwards. It worked much better than simply stepping into the air, and she was able to break even with Yuka.

She spun around to face the green-haired Youkai, flushed but obviously proud of herself. ?Ha!? she snatched the third familiar, and it shifted into a harp.

?What, are you going to play music at me?? Yuka sneered at her.

?Worked pretty well last time I tried.? Her wings flared open, and she somehow remained level in the air. As she began to strum the harp, they began to glow brightly.

?Alright, then. Show me.? Yuka said, closing her parasol and holding it behind her.

?I aim to impress, Ms. Sleeping Terror. Tell me what you think!?

As she built up her song into a furious tempo, the wings began to spray out waves of energy bolts, alternating back and forth. The danmaku bullets sliced through the air, then turned abruptly before doubling back to face the way they were originally headed.

Yuka?s sneer turned into a malicious grin, and just as the waves neared her, she dropped out of the sky. As she fell, she conjured up another wave of danmaku, shooting upwards, beneath Sara?s volley.

Sara spun around, coiling her wings around her and launching further into the air. One of Yuka?s shots slammed into one of her wings, and she recoiled away from it.

?Hey, you didn't let it hit you. How are you supposed to form an opinion?? Sara smirked down at Yuka.

?Did you really think I?d be stupid enough to let you hit me? If you let your guard down for even one second, you'll get hit - and I saw that shot hit you.?

Haru called over to Yuka, who had sunk to nearly-ground level, ?Actually, that hit her wing ? which is made of a familiar. You know familiars don?t count, and I know you're a better shot than that. Maybe you've taken a liking to her?? Yuka glared at him, then launched back into the air, pulling level with Sara?s new altitude.

As they began to exchange another round of shots with each other, Haru heaved a sigh.

?What?s that for?? Acied asked. Haru shook his head.

?Oh, that'd be Yuka. She loves to hide her feelings and would much rather reply with hostility and danmaku. It's because of that that she's gained her fearsome reputation.?

Acied thought back to Sara?s outbursts, her mental attacks, and how she handled herself on Kaetir. She wasn?t aggressive, but she had a malicious mean streak just beneath the surface that worried him occasionally.

?Huh. Women.?

Haru barked out a laugh. ?Well said, Mr. Nearl. Well said. Just... don't say that around Yuka. She'd... uh. It wouldn't be nice.?

He gestured up into the air. ?I think your lady there has intrigued Yuka - otherwise this would be long since over. She's being nice; her patterns are straightforward, and the shots aren't moving very fast. They're pretty big, too - a lot like how I was when I was first learning the ropes, in days long gone.?

That?s slow? Acied sighed. Keeping up with this place would be tougher than he thought.

?But your lady, there ? that?s clever. Making her shots zig-zag like that, I mean. And they?re tiny, and quick. If she ever learns to make complex patterns, she?ll be a formidable duelist. If.?

Haru was watching the duel intently, most of his attention on Yuka. Acied glanced back and forth between the two women as they dashed around through the air.

?Tell me, how long will your card last, do you think?? Yuka smirked at Sara as they drifted close to each other. ?It?d be a terrible shame if it wore off and you lost your wings in mid-flight.?

She slipped forward, coasting directly towards a line of Sara?s bullets. Just as she halted, the danmaku jerked aside through the air, framing Yuka for a split second before they continued onwards.

?And your patterns are so predictable. You?ll have to do better than this!?

Sara frowned, fingers tugging at the enchanted harp strings by muscle memory. The other two familiars were responding to her music, sending out waves of bullets in time with her song. She stopped playing for a split second, causing a break in the barrage, then doubled over her effort.

Yuka dropped below the shots again, lazily slinging another flower danmaku up at Sara.

?Come now, don?t tell me a telepath is such a terrible duelist. You should be able to tell what I?m doing!?

Sara felt beads of sweat well up on her forehead; she?d been trying so hard to get a read on Yuka during the entire fight, but she was blanked out mentally. Is she doing this instinctively? Is fighting part of her nature? Who the hell am I messing with?

No. It?s like she said ? this is predictable, she doesn?t have to think to get around my shots. I have to mix it up, make her think about what she?s gotta do, then I can get her!

She was trying to hard to hit Yuka, she realized. After she?d gotten control of her newfound wings, she?d barely even noticed that she was flying. Being airborne wasn?t alien to her; she?d ridden on Acied?s back many times over on Kaetir. But now, she was flying under her own power, and she wasn?t even enjoying it.

Time to change that.

?Right then, Mrs. Yuka. I?m sorry I?ve been so disappointing so far ? let?s see if I can make up for it!?

The wings suddenly snapped down into a gliding-wing arrangement. Yuka grinned at the change in Sara?s demeanor.

The young musician leaned forward, and dove towards her opponent. Yuka?s grin never wavered, but she started to drift upwards, gaining a few yards? worth of altitude ever so slowly as Sara came rocketing forwards.

Just as Sara came within a stones-throw, she spun herself over, changing her direction slightly so as to go past Yuka.

?A feint? How plai- what?!?

As Sara darted past, her wings spat out several waves of danmaku at once, in a giant orb pattern.

Yuka went to fly further upwards, but the shots caught her off guard. Just as she started to rise up into a space between the shots, they veered suddenly and slammed into her.

Sara spun over onto her back and righted herself, fighting momentum to be able to watch what had happened. She wanted to cheer to herself when she saw Yuka get hit.

Yuka turned around and grinned, rolling her shoulder.

?Sneaky, I?ll give you that. But you really need to work on patterns, and probably get yourself some proper spellcards. After all that effort you just put out, you scored only a single hit. I, on the other hand... I can get a hit as easily as this!? She whipped her hand forward; clenched between her fingers was a spellcard.

?Master Spark!?

Sara?s eyes widened when she heard the name. That?s the huge blast Marisa used!

She did her best to drop herself from the air, trying to get away from the massive blast of light ? but the very nature of light made the attack much faster than gravity could pull her down. She cringed as the roaring magical blast came rushing at her.

And missed as it turned up, away from the ground.

?What?!? both combatants were just as surprised, though Yuka was definitely more confused.

On the ground, Haru was holding his hand up, gesturing into the sky.

?Come, now, Yuka ? you said you wouldn?t use any spellcards. Stick to your word.? He looked stern, like he were scolding a child caught with their hand halfway into a box of cookies.

?Pfft.? Yuka glared down at Haru, but put the spellcard away. ?Fine, then. Just wanted to see if she could take a hit, anyways.? She looked back at Sara, who was floating in midair looking back and forth wildly, obviously confused.

In a single heartbeat, Yuka had closed the distance. Shit! Sara had time for one thought, then one of Yuka?s flower danmaku slammed into her chest.

Her familiars blinked out of existence, and she hovered there for a moment before gravity took its toll.

?Sara!? Acied hollered, and dashed forward, trying to get beneath the falling girl. Beside him, Haru launched forward, flying faster than Acied could run.

Neither one of them had very far to go - Yuka dropped faster than Sara did and caught her in mid-air, halting her descent. "And you can't even fly on your own, yet. Reckless of you, to take a duel into the air like that." She began to drop to the ground at a controlled speed.

As they descended, Haru slowed down, but Acied continued on. He was determined to get to them as soon as they touched down.

He skidded up to them a few scant seconds after they'd landed, disturbing a cloud of dust at his feet as he nearly tackled Sara into a hug. ?Oh, Gods, Sara! Are you okay??

?Ow? my chest hurts? kinda hard to breathe with you squeezing me like that, too. Lemme go,? she said, rubbing at her chest where Yuka?s shot had hit.

Acied looked over her head to Yuka. ?Thank you, I definitely owe you one.?

Yuka smirked at him, but the expression quickly softened into a smile. "She has potential. And drive. It'd be a terrible waste of talent for her to plummet to her death.
"Speaking of talent... Haru. How... kind of you to intervene on her behalf. I'd greatly appreciate if you refrained from doing that, ever again." She opened the parasol and dropped it onto her shoulder again, once more taking on the image of a Sunday-stroller.

She glanced at Sara as she passed. ?Good shot. You'll get better, I'm sure of it. Haru, come on.?

?Ah. Of course, Yuka. Take care, you two.? He nodded at the Kaetins, then turned and disappeared through the sunflower field in Yuka?s wake.

Sara and Acied looked back and forth at each other.

?What? just happened?? Sara said.

?You just about got yourself killed is what happened. What?s gotten into you?? Acied looked her up and down, as though he were checking for some outward sign to explain her odd behavior.

Sara jabbed her finger into his chest and shoved as hard as she could. Acied didn?t rock back nearly as far as she?d hoped, though.

?I can?t believe you! You?re the only other Kaetin here, dammit, and you?re starting to act like that doesn?t mean anything. You?ve got your eyes all over Patchouli, back there in the Voile, and you?ve got her making spellcards that nullify my presence. What gives? What?s gotten into you??

Acied looked downright depressed. ?Sara, look, I?m sorry ? I should?ve realized that?s what it would?ve looked like to you. I probably should?ve told you what I was up to, what I?ve got in mind for these spellcard things ? I guess I just assumed you?d read me and figure it out on your own.?

It was the obvious answer ? and of course, Sara had overlooked it. She could?ve just poked through his head and gotten her answers without raising all the fuss ? by the Gods, she?d done it repeatedly back on Kaetir. Why is it she suddenly doesn?t want to snoop around in his head?

Oh, right. She never got around to finding out how Acied feels about her. It?d be unfair to use her telepathy to her advantage in a situation like that.

Sara looked at the ground, studying her feet ? anything to keep from looking Acied in the eye. ?You know, sometimes I really wish I could read my own mind. Find out what the hell is wrong with me.?

Acied pulled her into a hug. ?Hey. There?s nothing wrong with you. Stop talking like ??

?I believe the outsider term is 'get a room', and by that I mean not in my sunflower field.?

Sara jumped. Yuka was grinning at them from under her parasol. Behind her, Haru was rolling his eyes and shaking his head ever so slightly.

?Ah, right. Of course. We were just on our way.? Acied took Sara?s hand and gestured past Yuka and Haru.

Haru stepped aside, giving them room to get by, while Yuka stood her ground. As the Kaetins began to walk past them, she held her hand up.

?Wait. You? Seed, was it??

?Close. Acied.?

?Whatever. Who are you supposed to be??

Acied blinked. ?What do you mean??

Yuka pointed at Sara. ?Who are you to her ? where do you fit in??

An answer! Oh, thank you, Mrs. Sleeping Terror, thank you! Sara?s heart jumped. She wouldn?t have to deal with the awkward situation of confessing and asking what Acieds? feelings were!

?I?m her guardian, her companion. We travel together ? everywhere. There is nothing that can drive us apart.? Acied puffed his chest out, swelling with pride.

He?s boasting about being? my companion?

Yuka cocked an eyebrow at him. ?Well. You?ve both earned the privilege to pass through my fields, on the sole condition that you do not harm any of my flowers. Or else - well, you've seen what happened to Tenshi. Speaking of... Haru, you have a body to move.?

After the ferocity that Yuka had shown in knocking Tenshi out, and how fiercely she?d fought with just danmaku, Sara knew this was no small gift. ?Thank you.?

Sara didn?t realize that Acied had tightened his grip on her hand until he relaxed his own hand. When did he start to squeeze my hand..? Why? She prodded into his mind, a quick intrusion.

It wasn?t out of any defensive nature or guardian complex. He was squeezing her hand because he wanted to.

Sara suddenly found it very hard to stop smiling for the rest of the walk back to the human village, still hand-in-hand with Acied.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 03:20:54 AM »
Due to a combination of a lack of time, a rather disheartening apparent lack of readers, and a general all-around ennui, Everlasting Wanderers is on hiatus.

Having based my story in RiGs' universe, just to have Mima banned from these forums, is also counter-productive to my creative processes.

I may also stop reading other stories that I haven't started reading already (meaning all of about two or three still-updating fics)

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 07:10:45 AM »
Well then.

Feel better and come back to this as fast as you can. :(

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »
Oh, I definately plan to. I have at least three other arcs in mind that I need to get put to actual words, and I'm not leaving this story till it's finished.

Just gimme a week or so more than usual between updates.

Alrisandre Margaletrisame

• The Raving Puppet
  • Protector of the Mercatian Border Enchuridion
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 11:51:23 PM »
I have quite enjoyed this story's current progress, and I look forward to the day it's hiatus is lifted. Until then, I feel this to be deserving of a slight refresher bump. <3

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2011, 03:56:02 AM »
Oh my. I'm kind of inclined to continue this now, aren't I? Or at least to push it towards a resolution, if maybe a little sooner than planned.

Oh well. It's been a while since I've put any serious storytelling to pen. The Librarian Story doesn't count so much because that's already completely planned out; EverWander was more or less me winging it.