Author Topic: Just a few questions  (Read 5534 times)

SealedDarkness

• Hopeless bullet magnet
Just a few questions
« on: July 04, 2012, 03:51:34 AM »
Excuse me, I'm a bit new here.

Are there any protocols surrounding art posting, save the rule about size? I noticed a lot of people using a header like "[Art] XXXX". Is that required? Would it be in poor taste to simply link a bunch of images from my Deviantart page?

I was also wondering, would it possibly be okay to post a thread about the cleanup of a version of Touhoumon? I'm not sure where a ROM hack stands on the scale of safe content. In addition, where would such a thread go?

And about how active is the livechat? I'm a bit nervous to try it, but aside from being polite, are there any rules, written or unwritten I need to follow there, as well?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Just a few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:15:38 AM »
Welcome!

The [Art] tag is simply to differentiate the different types of creative endeavors going on in the Atelier; it's recommended you use it, if only to make it easier for everyone else to find your work.  Don't hotlink, though; if you want your pictures on the page here, reupload them to a site like Imgur.

We do not provide or discuss pirating games, but some of our users have contributed to or created ROMhacks of their own, so there should be no problem there.  If it's working on the hack itself, it would likely go on the Touhou Projects board.  Providing a link to the hack itself would be allowed, but not to the base ROM, nor a patched one.

The IRC channels have various levels of activity depending on who's around at any time.  There aren't any real rules besides the obvious - don't spam, don't be a jerk, etc.

Hope that helped.  Enjoy your time here!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

SealedDarkness

• Hopeless bullet magnet
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »
Just to clarify, I would be allowed to post a link to the page of the original creator but not a link to a download of the rom itself? And I'd be able to link to pages of images, but not the images directly? Forgive me for being a tad overcautious, but I can see you take your policy on piracy very seriously, and I merely don't want to get in trouble before I've even got one foot in the door, so to speak.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »
Just to clarify, I would be allowed to post a link to the page of the original creator but not a link to a download of the rom itself?

Yep, sounds right.

And I'd be able to link to pages of images, but not the images directly?

Right again.  Hotlinking is less prevalent than it once was (especially now that many artists are using things like pixiv and deviantart), but it's still good not to link directly to an image if you can avoid it (even assuming the site lets you), or if you want to link directly/embed the image, use a site like tinypic or imgur to rehost it.