Author Topic: Touhou 12 - 東方星蓮船 ~ Undefined Fantastic Object. An undefined article.  (Read 191727 times)

The first time I played I didn't 1cc it, but I got past stage 5 and I continued to beat stage 6. I have 2 words: Absofucking amazing. I thought the demo was good but the full game is on par with Imperishable Night, which is my 2nd favorite Touhou game.
I play
Stage 1: Perfected, everything went according to plan.
Stage 2: 1 Bomb for the final spellcard. Thanks to this new laptop that my dad picked up off the streets, the only time I suffered lag was during the final spellcard in which 2 Unzans, 2 fists and a bomb were on the screen at once.
Stage 4: From this point on, the run is riddled with UFO collecting errors. I managed to max out my lives but then the boss of the stage ate 2 lives. Music is awesome though!
Stage 5: Midboss Nazrin breaks my UFO before I get my star pieces, I max out my lives and lose another life due to a stupid move at the end of the stage before the boss. I also miss a UFO before the boss battle, missing out on many, many points. The boss battle is great. I didn't do too well on her spellcards but I got her noncards down. By the end of stage 6, I had 6 lives, 2 bombs and 3 star pieces.
Stage 6: Oh the epicness. This game is more atmospheric than SA! Heartbeat... Heartbeat... Heartbeat. The stage is basically saying: "Have some UFO's! You need them! Love how the fairies in the stage are shaped like space invadors too. Like I said, I fucked up a lot with UFO grabbing, and I couldn't even get 1 final star piece to max out my lives. Battle starts, I have no bombs. It goes perfect until her 3rd card, which just raped me and consumed a bomb. Her final non-card also required a bomb too. The rest of the battle went perfectly. 4 out of 5 spellcards captured, final score: 201,534,510. Lives remaining: 6. Bombs: 0

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,

For the record, Stage 4 was the most fun (and easiest), and Kogasa's last spellcard is impossible for me without bombing.

these two things do not go together

just finished stage 4 with Sanae A- went in with 4 lives, 8 bombs, came out with 3 lives, 1 bomb.

stage 4 was a FUCKFEST OF BULLETS, and CAPTAIN MURASA MINAMITU is just MARVELOUS. i bombed like shit(obviously), especially on her survival card. but now that it's in practice, i'll try to actually capture her cards.

EDIT: forgot to say that, now that i've cleared it, stage 4 was as fun as hell

ON TO STAGE 5

EDIT: failed stage 5. i'm gonna stop for a while
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 02:53:22 AM by Slaves »

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
ok, somebody tell me how to get through Stage 4's fuckfest of walls, seriously. 

You have to have a shit load of bombs already.  Meaning chaining nothing but green the entire time.  Don't fuck up, don't die, and deathbomb like hell.  and chain more UFOs whatever they may be to clear the bullets.

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
2 hours worth of continuing just for Stage 5 Easy...

And I still haven't defeated the boss yet...

This... is... impossible...

I need to cool down for a bit now.

Also,

For the record, Stage 4 was the most fun (and easiest), and Kogasa's last spellcard is impossible for me without bombing.
these two things do not go together

I take that back; Stage 4 was hard, but Captain was a bit easy and fun, though I usually need to bomb her first spellcard.

Stage 5 is worse than PCB Stage 4... maybe because you only get 2 lives from a continue.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
I just realized something...

Byakuren's abilities are simply being able to use magic. She's basically an uber awesome magician.

Byakuren = Youkai Marisa?

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock

Byakuren's abilities are simply being able to use magic. She's basically an uber awesome magician.

Except that she's pretty much the Savior of Youkai, while Marisa wouldn't care less about them. Somewhat.

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity

from what her profile says it seems the magic she specializes "increases her physical abilities" I can imagine her as like a female Ganondorf. haha. make herself really buff and pulverize you. Alice specializes in magic (puppetry) and Patchouli in Elemental magic. and Marisa in "High powered" magic.   I thought that Byaku's ability was kinda "raise eyebrow/confused" but i suppose after seeing our previoius 3 mages i guess magic has to be classified as to what type it is. haha.
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
So I just gave it a run, and...I'm impressed.  This is actually fun to play, much more so than the demo.  The biggest thing I noticed was that the damn fairies actually DIE now, meaning the stages aren't as WHAT THE HELL as the demo...well, the first three.  Four and five were.  Six was...umm...Space Invaders.  Really.  Really.  Weird.

Music, aside from the Space Invaders theme (seriously, what's up with Stage 6?) was...suitably awesome.  I'm not sure how much I care for Chiyuri Lite's theme, and Byakuren's is a little bit tame for a final boss, but Stages 4 and 5, as well as 5 boss, made a very good first impression.  I'll probably listen a bunch to the music and shift around like I always do, but so far, so good.

Also GODDAMNIT GAME OVERED ON THE FINAL CARD I WANTED TO TRY EXTRA TONIGHT SON OF A--

Other impressions:
OHGOD HOMING ANCHORS
TIGER LAZORS
"Hello, my name is Shinki." "You mean Byakuren, right?" "No, I'm pretty certain I said Shinki."
Ok, aaaaand she's GOT CATWALK?!  DAMNIT, ZUN!!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Nine West

• How wonderful!

from what her profile says it seems the magic she specializes "increases her physical abilities" I can imagine her as like a female Ganondorf. haha. make herself really buff and pulverize you. Alice specializes in magic (puppetry) and Patchouli in Elemental magic. and Marisa in "High powered" magic.   I thought that Byaku's ability was kinda "raise eyebrow/confused" but i suppose after seeing our previoius 3 mages i guess magic has to be classified as to what type it is. haha.

Except that physical prowess is just about useless in Danmaku battles, so unless Byakuren decides to ram into you and do some fistfight, her magic buff wouldn't help much.

Hey, that's an idea for a fighting game; make her a character who can buff herself to increase physical damage in her attacks and reduce damage done to her or something.

Back to continuing Stage 5, I guess... 

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me

from what her profile says it seems the magic she specializes "increases her physical abilities" I can imagine her as like a female Ganondorf. haha.
Byakuren-esque Warlock Punch in 3...2...
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
okay well i spoiled myself in UFO's music room and listened to Byakuren's theme..

...eh. really doesn't suit too much as a final boss theme. it's a bit to quiet, to be honest. it's not intimidating, like a final boss should be.

i dunno, maybe it'll seem fitting when you fight her.

i also might think it's not all that great because i heard the chaotic theme of Nue first, which is pretty hard to show up.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
The only few themes that are catchy for me and fitting are: Nazrin, Kogasa, Murasa's themes. These somehow make you really pumped up for the battle.

Shou's theme is nice, evil but too dull in my opinion. It is totally different compared to the other themes. Byakuren's theme almost feels and hears like a song where you can imagine: Being saved / reliefed / free. I don't know how to excactly explain it.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
I don't know about you, but after seeing a Stage 6 run.  I have to say that dawn sky sent chills down my spine.

I also like how there are new bullet patterns now.  The Spell Cards are absolutely brilliant Stage 4 and on.

Am I the only who likes Shou's theme?  Her theme pretty much says "You're in Makai, and you are going up against a god."
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:58:28 AM by c l e a r »

Letty Whiterock

Nazrin's theme is the best theme in all of Windows Touhou. Hands-down. Don't argue it. You're wrong.

Henry

• The observer
  • Exploring to the new world of Danmaku
Too bad that I died at the Stage 6's last attack... :(
Old/Forgotten member.

Old Patchouli Project was outdated but new one is in progress.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Nazrin's theme is the best theme in all of Windows Touhou. Hands-down. Don't argue it. You're wrong.
Newsflash: Opinions are not facts.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
I don't know about you, but after seeing a Stage 6 run.  I have to say that dawn sky sent chills down my spine.

I also like how there are new bullet patterns now.  The Spell Cards are absolutely brilliant Stage 4 and on.

Am I the only who likes Shou's theme?  Her theme pretty much says "You're in Makai, and you are going up against a god."

No, you're not the only one. Shou's theme is fucking grand. It's one of my favorites along with Ichirin's and Kogasa's themes.

Drake

TinyTiny, Heian Alien and CAPTAIN MURASA MINAMITU (that's right it's spelled in full even if it actually isn't) are all about the same in HOLY YES from me.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Nine West

• How wonderful!

No, you're not the only one. Shou's theme is fucking grand. It's one of my favorites along with Ichirin's and Kogasa's themes.

For me, Syou's theme tried to be intimidating, and succeeded somewhat; not necessarily a ground breaking theme.

From UFO, I can say that
CAPTAIN MURASA MINAMITU (that's right it's spelled in full even if it actually isn't)
is the catchiest by far.

Also,

I agree to a certain extent, actually.

Letty Whiterock

Newsflash: Opinions are not facts.
you wanna start somethin'

i don't think you do

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
you wanna start somethin'

i don't think you do

??

I stated the obvious. But I guess you knew that already. And start what? To discuss that opinions are facts afterall?

sohvan

Spoiler:
After reading the translated dialogues, I'm starting to feel a little bad for the enemies of this game. Seems like all they wanted to do was to wake up their Youkai-Buddha, and Reimu/Marisa/Sanae beat them up just because they are Youkai. Can't wait to read the translated endings and the extra stage.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
Spoiler:
After reading the translated dialogues, I'm starting to feel a little bad for the enemies of this game. Seems like all they wanted to do was to wake up their Youkai-Buddha, and Reimu/Marisa/Sanae beat them up just because they are Youkai. Can't wait to read the translated endings and the extra stage.

playable characters are always like this. where the hell have you been?

Reimu is a racist. Sanae is a racist. Marisa needs more swag.

sohvan

In the previous games the playable characters are usually proven to be right in the end, though they didn't necessarily know it when picking the fights. That tendency to pick fights over trivial reasons was always there, but they always got lucky in the end with the results.

It's a good thing to stop Remilia making an endless night, Yuyuko doesn't really want to be resurrected, Kaguya really did steal the moon, Kanako was trying to monopolize Gensokyo's faith, and Utsuho was mad and planning to invade the surface realm. While the playable characters didn't neccessarily have good reasons in mind for stopping them, stopping them was a good thing in the end. I think this is the first game where the enemies are arguably the ones who are right in the end.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
In the previous games the playable characters are usually proven to be right in the end, though they didn't necessarily know it when picking the fights. That tendency to pick fights over trivial reasons was always there, but they always got lucky in the end with the results.

It's a good thing to stop Remilia making an endless night, Yuyuko doesn't really want to be resurrected, Kaguya really did steal the moon, Kanako was trying to monopolize Gensokyo's faith, and Utsuho was mad and planning to invade the surface realm. While the playable characters didn't neccessarily have good reasons in mind for stopping them, stopping them was a good thing in the end. I think this is the first game where the enemies are arguably the ones who are right in the end.

fine MOM

always trying to kill my fun

anyways, i haven't read Marisa's scenario yet. after seeing Sanae's "Human and Youkai as equals?", i don't think she could be worse, but we'll see.

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
At some point yesterday, I also commented how Byakuren's theme was bland and not dramatic enough for a final boss, I then commented that it sounded like a Credits theme.

As you may know now, an arrange of Byakuren's theme IS the credits theme, which kinda proves my point.

Sounds like Mima was hoping for a darker more sinister touhou universe.
I can see where the ghost is coming from, but a game with as many bright colors and ufo lucky charms didn't seem to warrant a Nightmare on Elm Street view. I was surprised Makai was even included as well as Nue's design. Heck I surprised to see anything black other than Reimu's hair and Marisa's Clothes.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Actually, if you read all the dialogues the theme suddenly becomes more fitting and clear.

Byakuren is released from her seal and her intentions are not wrong except our heroines think otherwise. So her theme sounding so peaceful is quite fitting imo.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
Shou's theme is good, very godly in my opinion.

Frustration occurs when Unzan kills alot of my lives, FOR NO REASON.
the brofists just intimidate me.

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2