Author Topic: {Art} Imizu is a trap?!  (Read 9550 times)

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
{Art} Imizu is a trap?!
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »

I dont know what to put for the bg
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:03:50 AM by 罪恋 »

Re: {Art} Imizu is a trap?!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »
[redacted]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:03:15 PM by Kilgamayan »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »
...Maybe I'm harsh

You are, and needlessly so. I will PM you the prior contents of your post momentarily. Please revise it so it is devoid of rhetoric and overdramatization, as it contained useful constructive criticism amidst all the unnecessariousness.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:09:17 PM by Kilgamayan »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:40:51 PM »
Damn i missed out on the fun :<

Next time can you leave his criticisms here? They are of extreme value to me, ans since i am working on an artbook every word of his is appreciated ^^

also, seeing as i need to draw something fanservice-y for it anyways, I don't mind drawing you a "nude body" or two, Mr. Notapirate.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:38:19 PM by 罪恋 »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:24:01 PM »
Don't worry, they'll come back. If they haven't been reposted by the time I get home I'll do it.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 11:37:02 PM »
Have my deepest gratitude ^^

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 01:19:08 AM »
All right, here you go, NAP's post with the chaff removed. (These are all NAP's observations, of course, not mine.)

-Head too far out. Why is she craning her neck to her right when she's facing the viewer? And why is her neck seemingly not even attached to the bottom of her head where it should?

-Her hat is too small for her head.

-The collar and the button line implies that her body should be facing the camera, but her armpits suggests that her body is at least tilting away from the camera. There's no torso space for her boobs, which leads to other issues.

-Her right boob isn't starting from the right place. Since her body is angled somewhat away from the camera it should rightfully stick out more. It's also too low. They are also too long down.

-Her clothing folds on the breasts are illogical, especially at the armpits. It shouldn't outline her left boob so distinctly.

-Her hands are a tad small, by the way, but that's not much in the grand scheme of things.

-Her hips and down are...detached from her torso? If her body was facing the camera there is no way her legs would be facing so far away from the camera.

-Her calves grow unnaturally big. Maybe it's the good ol' foreshortening thing, but because the leg is barely even facing the camera and thus isn't very much closer to the camera as you go along it, and that it's not even seemingly shortened, that is just moot. Instead of foreshortening you've given the imagery of Koishi having giant calves.

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 01:27:52 AM »
As expected of the great Mr. NAP, these are very concise criticisms, cutting right to the chase ^^

Mayhap, Mr. NAP participate in my doujin as a guest artist? It would be my utmost pleasure to cordially invite you to just draw something. Of course, where proper credit it due, it would be given~

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 06:04:20 AM »
finished!...except for the bg. No idea what to put for the bg, any suggestions?

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 07:24:58 AM »
her color and shade looks indoor
perhaps u can draw he looking at the camera facing behind the computer?
but wat is she watching?
i will leave the computer monitor to u :3
just a suggestion~ |OwO>

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 07:02:15 AM »
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:05:11 AM by 罪恋 »

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 08:41:45 AM »
Ah. Right, thanks Kilgamayan for the post edit. I'll do this one better. Maybe.

You...have the tendency to make the queerest mistakes. Sometimes I can barely put my finger on it, so let's go through it easy.

The first thing I noticed are the arms. They are painfully short. Stand up, set your arms down, relax, take a deep breath, take it easy....
Then look down and you should tell that your hands reach well below your hips. Perhaps the centre of your thighs.

Of course there's more:
 -Where did her right hand go?
 -Her left forearm doesn't seem to connect with the upper arm. That's because you drew both separately. At this angle it should be seen connected together, if my explanation makes any sense at all.
 -Her armpits. I cannot stress this enough.The armpit is formed from under the arm and leads directly to the pecs, or boobs.  Not only have you made the same mistake of drawing the whole arm out instead of it being attached to the shoulder (making it seem like it's just pasted on), but Okuu's right boob doesn't even start from where it should: the armpits.
 -Lastly, the left hand is...very much wrong. It doesn't seem like a three dimensional object at all. For one, the thumb isn't so highly defined on the palm unless you deliberately scrunch your fingers close together.
     -The 'peace' hand pose requires the thumb to be over the fourth and fifth finger. You absolutely can't put up both your middle and index finger upright and expect the other two to stay down. Because they won't.
     -You should also be able to see the first joint of both the fourth and fifth fingers. Honestly, just copy the hand pose to yourself, and it'll do more explaining that I can.

Oh, and there's more wrong with the boobs too :V

-You definitely didn't align the boobs with the body angle. When you draw the left bra like this, it makes her boobs seem horribly misaligned.
For one, if her right boob started at where it should rightfully be (armpits), you should only see the side of it. Same angle for the left boob, which means it should stick out more. The left boob is also pretty misshapen too.

<Mami-Tomoe> the big one is probably the perspective on the hem of her thighhigh, or her leg band or whatever it is on her right thigh
<Mami-Tomoe> the leg should be angled toward the viewer, but the band is drawn like you're looking at the leg from the side
<Mami-Tomoe> just increase the curve a whole bunch and it should be fine

The legs look a little off to me, but since I can't put my finger on it I won't say much about them.

On another note, I want to ask if you are using guidelines at all. Many of these are very...glaring mistakes that shouldn't happen. I'd just like to know if there's some sort of underlying reason for all these problems which can be possibly fixed.

As expected of the great Mr. NAP, these are very concise criticisms, cutting right to the chase ^^

Mayhap, Mr. NAP participate in my doujin as a guest artist? It would be my utmost pleasure to cordially invite you to just draw something. Of course, where proper credit it due, it would be given~

I'm tempted, but I'm a terrible artist, so I'm afraid I'm gonna have to decline.

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 09:05:42 AM »
I think I really should credit you in my would-be artbook with quotes from you; not sharing these well-written, great words with future, potential artists would be a great shame ^^

It might be rude of me to enquire about this, but is there any particular reason you prefer to become a professional art critic over being a normal artist though? Most of the art critics I know/ have seen are reasonably good in both of their trades

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
I never said I prefer to be a "professional art critic', I just don't think I'm good enough to participate in something like an artbook, that's all.

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »
No, you get me wrong here >< I think your criticisms are on par with that of a professional's, you see; I meant no offence :). I am just curious...if you can provide such marvellous feedback, why not apply them to your own drawings too? From what I can tell, you are rather resourceful too.

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
Bah, if theory was all that was needed I'd be zipping over to the land of remotely competent artists in no time. Practice and experimentation is just as useful and important as is theory. That said, I do put my knowledge into drawing, but the point is that it isn't enough.

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 05:59:14 AM »
After this piece, I shall be more mindful of the anatomical features of the the stuff i draw, since this one is too late to salvage already :<

Lesson learnt: you want critique, you post a sketch before you start linearting (aka point of no return)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 06:54:10 AM »
But lineart is still fixable?
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 07:03:35 AM »
not for me :< I don't like fixing lineart once it is done

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
ITS NEVER TOO LATE
never too- how did that song go
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 09:37:02 AM »
Her left arm is actually pretty much easily fixed, you just have to redraw one line because the rest of the arm is alright.

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »
huh which line?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »
The shoulder line. Also, it's digital media. You can always change things and make them better, that's the whole point
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .