Author Topic: Crawl Relay Part 2: Dungeon Boogaloo  (Read 92183 times)

Acidus

Crawl Relay Part 2: Dungeon Boogaloo
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:45:18 AM »
1.  Get a clean version of Crawl 0.6.0  There has been several changes and additions since 0.5x versions.  More so, you'll want the 32x32 tile graphical version that comes with mouse support unless you're hardcore from the command prompt days. Totaku's edited version

3.  To play, you'll have to sign up in this topic.  You'll be put at the end of the list.

4.  When your turn comes, you'll be handed the save file via rapidshare, mediafire, mega upload, or some other site.  You'll stick that in the saves file and start up the game.  You'll then have roughly 5000 turns to play.  To check how many turns you've used, just hit Shift and E.  As you play your turn, you are to keep track of a journal of important events that happen.  You can take screenshots or keep a very accurate pictureless journal as you play.  Screenshots are better.

5.  Failure to keep up screenshots would count as a death on your part, and we'll take the last save.

6.  Once your 5000 turns are up (we allow some slight deviation, you can stop at say 5045 or something), save, copy to the files to a zip folder and upload it to a file sharing site.

7.  If you take way too many turns (6000+), we'll politely tell you that you fail, but take the save files anyway.  If you reach 7000, you're off the list for the rest of the game.

8.  If you take more than 3 days (72 hours) taking your turn, we'll skip you and give the save file to the next person in line.

9.  You may sign up again when your turn is over.

10.  Losing is fun.  If you die, just log that and we'll tack it onto the number of times we've lost and continue from the last save file.  Don't worry, the game is meant to be hard.  If you're inexperienced, take this chance to play a high level character and learn more about the game.

11. However, it's not fun if you save the file and give it to the next person with 3HP and surrounded by tough enemies.  We'll consider that your death and revert back to the previous save file.

12.  New rule, if you have bone files in your saves, copy those bone files and stick them in with the save file you'll be uploading.  We want many, many ghosts to deal with this time around.w This is just asking to be fucked in the ass, so no

13. SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME RULE ADDED BY ANATHE: AT THE END OF YOUR POST, STATE WHETHER YOU'RE UP FOR ANOTHER ROUND
OR NOT. PLEASE REMEMBER THIS RULE, IT MAKES KEEPING THE LIST EASIER.

14.  Feel free to suggest adding in anything I missed on this list of rules.'

Waiting List:
MaullarMaullar
Psieye
Totaku
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:38:42 AM by Canoness Acidus »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
Re: Crawl Relay Part 2: Dungeon Boogaloo
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:51:19 AM »
In for a little crawling. Any R/C is fine with me.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:04:03 AM »
/in

They've nerfed armor a LOT in this version ;_;

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »
YUp the difficulty has been cranked up quite a bit. But I'm in.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:36:35 PM »
In at some point.  Are we going to stick with a single character, or switch between a bunch again?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 01:50:43 PM »
/in like the motherfucking fist of the north star
They've nerfed armor a LOT in this version ;_;
Oh no they didn't
Those FUCKERS

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:58:40 PM »
I might be in at some point. But be aware I'm pretty terrible at crawl and journaling in general.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 07:15:43 PM »
/in because why not

Totaku

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 02:05:51 AM »
Ok let me throw in a few idea on the plate for race and classes...

Nitori: Reaver Kappa (I mean Merfoke)  Specialize in Ice elemental magic

Utsuho: Fire elementalist Kenku

Byakuren: Orc Preist (good for youkai worship. :P)

Aya: Wind Elementalist Kenku

Orin: Nekoromancer I'm not sure what race would fit her...

Sanae: Demigod Preist or Wind elmentalist

Marisa: Human magician

Reimu: Human Preist ???

Yuuka: Troll Fighter (worship whatever that plant god she comes across?)
Any other ideas you can suggest are fine too.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:12:35 AM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 05:04:17 PM »
RENKO: HUMAN WANDERER.

If we're gonna be savescumming anyway why not make it interesting :V

Totaku

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 05:59:07 PM »
Demigods can't be priests, or any class that has to worship a god
I did forget that, well a wind elementalist can work too I guess.
yuka worshipping yuka worshipping yuka :P

Personally, I see Byakuren as a Demigod Transmuter: matches her ability :P

Well of course, there's logic in that right? ^^;

transmuter..... I guess that would work.

Anyways if I had to pick between the list I put together I'd use Utsuho the Fire Kenku. Sure her bones may be brittle, but her powers should pack quite a punch.
RENKO: HUMAN WANDERER.

If we're gonna be savescumming anyway why not make it interesting :V

And what we do once we go to the abyss or Pandimonium with Renko? Makes me feel like we can expect her to suffer greatly. Especially with the new cranked up difficulty.
Now I Twitter

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
We don't have to go there if we can't survive you know. Just 3 runes, run in, get orb, GTFO and win.

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Personally, I see Byakuren as a Demigod Transmuter: matches her ability :P
Sounds more like Nue. Because, y'know. Transmuting.

Totaku

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 09:27:05 PM »
Sounds more like Nue. Because, y'know. Transmuting.

Wouldn't it be even more fitting if Nue was a demon spawn transmuter? Meaning she would constantly change form as she becomes stronger and of course even furter mutate with trasmutation spells ect.

Mmm actually that sounds like a whole new degree of fun!

I call for Nue, the demon spawm transmuter!

ok I see demonspawn transmuters aren't highly recommended because it might be harder.

An alternet suggest for Nue would be a demonspawn chaos knight that serves.....Xom! A.K.A. Flandre

Either way, I would be fine.

Here's a quick update, I'm not sure what's being planned over all but I'm working on a sprite set of my own and changing some things, sadly I can't change everything though since I'll need to explore with compiling programs and that would take too long since Anathe had planned this Relay a bit sooner than I anticipated.

But I'm going to try to get some early creature in there ASAP hopefully before the game starts.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:43:53 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Totaku

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »
Ok people I went through and changed up a few things. Since it seems were going to use Nue (at least it seems that was after I made the suggestion I made a Nue sprite for use for our demon spawn Transmuter or chaos knight, so forth. :P I'll likely be updating her more as she "changes".

We'll just say that her powers sort of nulled out when she entered the dungeon thus why she lacks her freaky wings right now.

All you'll have to do is go into the doll changing menu. "-" and then put none on all catagories in equipment except right and and left hand. (maybe gloves but that's not nessary.)

I've also changed up a few things in the creature's daialouge, and in their description. Sadly the names that will be displayed or when they do actions will remain as their pervious names as those are hard coded and will require me to learn how to compile the program. Thus it'll not be good for now. But at least they will say some things.

The gods have also been renamed in their descriptions. Of course their original names will still be displayed like before.

I will be doing some more tweaking with this but for now I think this'll do for the start of the game.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ml0ijw5njmd

I'll continue upgrading this as I have time.
Now I Twitter

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »
Can we start this yet? If we're doing a transmuter, I want to get my turns in early.

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 01:20:16 PM »
/in now for realz then.
CHO-NUE is going to have a fun fun ride.

Totaku

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 05:24:14 PM »
Ok people!

I went and did some more work. I got some things updated some more. Basiclly replaced roaches, centaurs, trap door spiders, a hungry ghost and gnoll and a few more uniques with various Touhous.

So here you go, at least now I feel like I got most of the early creatures done, now I'll prepare for some critter edits in the Lair and so forth.

Just make sure to update and move the save file in there. Everything else should work just fine.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vhm4yjwwjdj

Enjoy, and happy crawling everyone!
Now I Twitter

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 08:15:13 PM »
Okay, getting things started!

Nue the Demonspawn Transmuter.

First thing I notice is that a transmuter isn't one of the DS' favoured classes. No biggie, we can still do well because a good set of mutations will take care of the tough guys for us.

We start off with the normal gear of a transmuter, free identified bad potions and some sticks to turn into snakes. Now I'm quite rusty and forgot to 1) Learn distillation and 2) find a weapon.

Some early game fodder came into view and I beat them to death with my demon fists. Some points towards unarmed combat is fine since it will help when we are fighting in spider form or blade hands.

Find a ring? PUT IT ON! No idea what it does, but it isn't cursed and doesn't raise our stats. It couldn't be anything bad.

Do the whole explore everywhere, kill everything routine. Picked up an uncursed but enchanted hammer, another ring that can't be worn ID'd and levelled up! Learned evaporate as it's going to be our main killing spell for the early game.

Our first kill with the spell. Standard procedure is evaporate a potion, let the enemy choke on it a bit, move in with the hammer for the kill if they haven't died from headwalling/poison yet. If there's a corpse, always distill it. The most common potions will be water, confusion and poison. Use water for animals, confusion for humanoids kobolds and goblins and poison for orcs and higher. That's about all our variety for now. I did get lucky to score us some degen potions. Save it for the nasty stuff that can kill you in one go like ogres, centaurs or those guys with stacks of spears and always appear in packs.

A whole lot more of the general explore and kill. Got us our first mutation, 1 free level of cold resist. Nothing to complain about at this stage of the game.

Ended off my run by an altar to the god of slow, Sakuya for this run. Next player can decide if we will join her or not. A DS has fairly average speed so our piety isn't going to go up at an amazing rate. We are a caster, so Sif Muna could be an okay choice, but also not really spectacular. Lugona is always a good pick for DS, but finding an altar to her is kinda tough.

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 10:35:31 PM »
Ok, time to break some skulls with Nue.
Like Pesco said, we're close to an Altar of Sakuya (Cheibriados), god of slow stuff. Since it's sort of new (At least for the people on the last relay), I'll give a brief explanation:
This god likes being slow, killing faster things and eating while full (WHAT). It also dislikes casting Haste and items that make you fast. So Haste potions and wands are a no-go.
Being under this god's supervision, our metabolism slows down, and the effects of poison and sickness are dumbed down.
We can also enchant armors with the Ponderousness brand, which makes us slower (This is good for this god) and earns us Sakuya's favor.
Finally, we will be able to slow enemies, magically damage faster enemies and to make time pass while making us intouchable.
All in all, a good deity, so we're taking her. Besides, we inmediately enchant our current robe.

...Welp. Maybe should have waited to enchant this first. Oh well, moving on.
Next floor. A momikkuri, some orcs and Yukkureimus, nothing too hard.

...Oh shit. Must find fast!

There you are, you motherfucker. DIE ALREADY
Well, throwing a confusion potion ain't a good idea. Y'know, since these fuckers are mindless and all.
So I'll thro-
THERE'S TWO?
FFFFUUUUU

Shit fucking damn Jellies. Ah well, /in again and stuff. Next time I hope no jellies and all. >>;;

Totaku

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 10:51:16 PM »
Anathe you forgot to put me on the list. I said I was in on it from the beginning. But either way it's my turn now. I'll see if I can help Nue with her problems in the dungeon.

Course I'll be modding a bit too at the same time so please bear with me I will get it done within the time limit.
Now I Twitter

Totaku

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 02:22:31 PM »
Well I went through my turn, so I'll take time to explain everything.

When we last left off Nue had entered into the dungeon. And for some magical reason, Nue's powers were nulled out to a heavy extent, even her misshaped wings disappeared, but as she grows stronger, her powers are likely to return....

And so she embarked on her journey to find the legendary BEER OF ZUN (Yes, I think it should be a artifact that's more Touhouish, so instead of an orb I plan to make it a beer bottle if that's fine with out...)

And so we continue where Nue was left off....

As our adventure continued, Nue left the alter of Sakuya, she knew there was no way she could work with a god that promoted slowness since taking it easy would not benefit her in anyway, so she proceeded down to the next floor.

Floor 6

As Nue was exploring the new floor she came across a area where the floor was filled with nothing but traps! This probably meant that there was something special about this area, so Nue spent her time slowly locating traps so she could avoid them.

After some careful maneuvering she managed to get to the other side where she found a stairway leading too...

The Orcish Mines!

In these mines. you are bound to find alot of gold but at the same time you'll be contending with tons of orcs at the same time. Especially in massive numbers. And while nue could probably handle it, I feel it would be safer if she got more potions in her arsenal before she dove into that place (or at least a few more levels)...so we'll skip this place for now....

After Nue left the area she ran into a part of orcs. Both mage and and warrior types along with a few regular types as well. She used her evaporation skills to turn her confusion and poison potions into explosive that caused the orcish party to become confused and sick. As a result, she was able to take out the orcish squad easily....

As a result of this...

Her spellcasting is now level 3! A good start so far...

She then later confronted an Ogre, and as you all know Ogres are known for having layers....like onions. :P (does this apply to Suika and Yuugi as well?)
Regardless these brutes are known for thier strength and can smash you apart if your not careful. However, with a confusion potion, these creatures are turned defenseless thus Nue is able to beat them easily.

Nue realized it was probably a good time to relearn some of her abilties so she managed to learn Ice Beast as she had a "fair" chance to use it.

Ice beast is a somewhat useful spell that can make Nue turn into a beast made of ice. And it's jaws can produce a freezing effectt on any enemy it bites. COurse she has to be careful because she can also risk getting hurt is someone burns her. So take caution against those that can use fire.

A while later, Nue confronted a Momizikkuri, they're tougher than your typical yukkreimu and yukkurisa and usually  come in packs. They can be also hard hitters with the right weapon, otherwise they are still pretty weak in general. And at our current level Nue can eleminate them easily.

Nue then comes across the Alter of Yuyuko, here, serving under Yuyuko can grant you undead minions to control and aid you. But what good would it do for a shape shifting nue? Not so much.... So we're going to pass (besides the zombie goldfish make it less inviting.)

Nue then begin to fiddle with her scrolls she had and found out she had 12 scrolls of teleportation! (Nice!)  She also had  a scroll of detect curse, remove curse, weapon enchantment II, and even  a scroll of identification! She also managed to identify a ring she had, which was a ring f poison protect, this'll be good to protect her from poisons and as well eat poisonous food.

Course before too long Nue would run into some trouble.

A whole army of Kobolds, a momizikkuri and a koakuma. All ready to fight! She used her potions to fight back, but as it turned out she was only able to take out a few of them as more kobolds kept pouring in....

There is always times where one must retreat in order to find a way to fight back and this was one of these cases.

Nue decided to run back up several stairs to get back the arrows she placed down back a while ago. She managed to find them and deicded it was time to learn a spell that would serve as a destraction...

Stick into Snakes!

With this spell, Nue can turn any wooden object into a snake that'll aid her in battle and possibly poison her target. This'll work during the early part of the game at the very least.  Later on, if she can aquire selective amnesia she can forget the spell.

As she returned back down to the 7th floor she found a sword along the way and equiped it, it was a sword of speed! This will allow her to get a few extra hits in. But regardless the hammer proved to still be the stronger tool... She still decided to keep it for now....

Back down at the 7th floor, Nue attack the Kobold party and took them out easily by using the snakes as a destraction. She also took out a mummy preist unique called Merdrake who mainly can call the powers of hell to damage your health and smite you given any chance, still easy though and thanks to having snakes with her.... she doesn't even have to take the blow from the mummy's curse!

She later confronted a toad that nearly killed her but with some potions and some luck she managed to beat is and right then she leveled up to level 9!

And what's this? Nue's evolving!

As a result she now has the ability to see invisible creatures now! This'll save us the trouble of look for a ring to do that.

Just then Nue reached the temple, a place where alot of alters are together, she Nue can select a god to worship, but who? Strangly enough Mima isn't here, and she has no aggresive magic yet so Utsuho is out, so where does she go? There is still hope, but some may find it....shocking....

Flandre, yes Flandre AKA Xom. The god of random chaos. This sounds like a terrible risk but there's a plus side to this...

Due to Nue's ability to mutate constantly as she levels up, she has a good chance of earning Flan's trust easily.

As everyone knows,Flan view everyone as playthings, and because of this, she may give you something, or at the same time, she can make your trip a living hell. But the best way to get Flan to like you is to take risks. Drink unknwon potions, get sick, use unidenfied items, ect. They all give Flan a good laugh, but nothing pleases flan more than....mutations! Yes, mutations. And because Nue's known for she constant changing a form, chances are Flan will shower Nue with better items in the long run. But who knows, you can never tell what Flandre has in mind for you.... so be ready for anything and everything!

As Nue left, Flan gave Nue a welcoming gift, two potions of agility. A nice start coming from the destructive little vampire.

As Nue was finishing up the floor she ran into a yukkuEirin, these yukkuri are known for thier archery skills and will shoot without hesitation! So be careful around them. Best plan is to either use a confusion potion on them or hide in the corner and attack as they come around. Your pick.

Couse the plus side.... You get more arrows from them, more arrows = more snake ammunition always a good thing for Nue.

Afterward Nue proceeds to the 8th floor, here, she only got a chance to examine a bit of what was around her before she stopped for a brake.

Thus now this ends my turn.

As of right now, I know Nue has to deal with the following creature, slime, and several koakuma.

As a word of advice, always have some snakes ready, you may never know how handy they'll become unless you try. They work especially well against slime, mummies  and large parties when your trying to destract them.

Now after  this, I decided to sit down and mod some more. I got a whole lot of things down today thankfully. Mostly because they were simple alterations, though there are some that were trickier than others. As of this point..... flying skulls have been changed, All frogs have been changed, Yaks have been changed, the list can go on, I even changed a few uniques I know that needed some Touhou variations.. I think you'll be pleased. I think I covered all the lair creatures I needed to cover now thankfully.

Also I gave Nue her first set of wings since she managed to reached level 9 (the first mile stone.)

If for some reason they do not appear in your game, go into the custom section "-" and go down to Dracwings, select "2 / 10" that should be Nue's wings. This sample should show you what you need to set it up.

Also here's the new update to the mod, be sure to update it since it'll have more Touhou themed features to it. ^^ The save should work fine with it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0ennmkodhwl

As for now my turn is over, who ever's turn is next, the save is at the bottom, and please sign me up again!

Edit: I believe there may have been a mess up in the list order from what I noticed, Anathe please double check. As far as I know, Stuffman signed in for the list (and he was skipped) and Chaore signed in for the list, I am still trying to confirm the Shim and head crabs. They should all be placed up before Zengar and me on the list.

Edit 2: Here's what I think the list should stand as of right now, Shim told me he's not ready yet so...

Waiting list:

Stuffman
headcrabs
Chaore
Zengar
Totaku

So Stuffman, it's your turn go grab the game and crawl file.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:18:46 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 08:27:52 AM »
Alright, I'll get cracking. Probably want to screw around with some test transmuters first since I haven't played one before, but I'll try to be done by late (late late, given when I get home) tomorrow night.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 09:43:06 AM »
Alright, here we are in lovely Dungeon 8. Let's take a moment to go over our stuff.

Now, it bugs me a bit that we're sticking with the hammer since Nue leans more towards Dex and we happen to have that Shortsword of Speed Totaku found. Still, the hammer is +5/+2 and we already have 6 ranks in hammers...we are sitting on a few enchant weapon scrolls though, so I'm gonna try the sword for a little while until I ID its stats. Speed is a pretty good brand after all.

A few moments after disposing of that Jelly I started next to, Flandre gets bored and zaps Nue with a mutation: -10% MP. Thanks Flan, I'm sure that improvement will help us a lot as a spellcaster!

I find an iron ring shortly after. A quick ID reveals it as a +5 ring of dex, which is an even better reason to swing around the shortsword for the moment. I'll take off the poison resistance ring until we're fighting poisonous stuff. The scroll gives me a second lucky ID, which I use on a potion I have a single of, which reveals it to be a potion of mutation (glad I checked it)! I prefer to hold off on using those unless I've got a potion of cure mutation available.

Quite a few stray Koakumas on this floor, which Nue has little trouble disposing of. Another Jelly appears, but it haplessly steps into an axe trap as it approaches, allowing me to take it down with stones.

Hello, what's this? Aha, here's Mima's shrine! It's towards the upper left of Dungeon 8. We can come back here if we need to swap around some spells later, or if Flandre continues throwing tantrums.

Immediately below the shrine I see an Orc Priest. Oh dear! One orc means many orcs. I back off and start spamming snakes in preparation. Ironically, Flandre turns the priest into a snake too (a water moccasin to be precise). With some help from the snakes Nue takes out an orc wizard with some jackals running interference, and an orc knight, and IDs her sword in the process; it's +0/+2. I think I can upgrade it to our primary weapon safely, so I use the scrolls to make it +2/+3.

Next I find a shop called Psuciop's Weapon Boutique. How the fuck do you pronounce that?

Ooh, that falchion looks very nice. Of course, there's no way Nue can afford it now. If you're ever in the market for an artifact weapon, maybe take a look at it?

That wraps up Dungeon 8. I'm noticing Nue is getting encumbered by meat chunks, so she's probably carrying too much stuff. I'm gonna test the remainder of her un-ID'd potions and scrolls. They are: potion of paralysis, potion of brilliance (new to this version? like Might but with Int), potion of Haste, potion of magic, scroll of random uselessness, scroll of alarm, scroll of blink, scroll of recharging (used on the wand of enslavement, lucky we already had ID and enchant armor known), scroll of curse armor (argh!), scroll of armor, and finally a scroll of magic mapping. The curse armor hit my gloves, and since my strategy involves swapping rings, I blow a remove curse to get rid of it. Oh well.

Hello, Dungeon 9!

Goodbye, Dungeon 9! I quick run back up the steps to find another way down. The next staircase has a Hippogriff and a Phantom nearby, which looks much less troublesome. On the way of running towards a corridor for cover, Flan trips me up with a staff. I foolishly stop to pick it up, enabling the hippogriff to take out a chunk of Nue while a big kobold rounds the corner to flank me. I flail at the two of them with my sword for a bit, but it gets ugly so I teleport away and try to rest. I rest for quite a while, which bores Flan and causes her to damage my Int and lower my status to "toy". Yikes! Better keep her entertained.

Anyway, I get around to IDing that staff. Why, it's a staff of wizardry! Neat! Does that stack with the ring?

A moment later I am beset upon by an iguana. I use snakes to poison it, then tear into it with the sword.

After that, I wind up being beset upon by a small menagerie of enemies including a giant frog and a giant toad (is there a difference?), another hippogriff and an ice beast. I put on the ice ring to mitigate the cold damage and retreat to a corridor again. Flandre takes note of my heroic struggle and levels Nue up to 10!

This is the new mutation Nue gains. The hell does that mean? (No pun intended.) Ah well, I'll figure it out in a sec.

I pick a fight with a giant toad, but it gets lucky and heavily damages Nue. I teleport again to rest. I wasted a healing potion trying to finish it off, sorry to say. I attempt to rest, but Flandre again asserts her dissatisfaction with my cautiousness by turning me into an ice beast. I take advantage of the form to maul a nearby big kobold and orc warrior.

I try resting one more time despite the apparent dangers, because Nue really can't be getting into fights with her HP this low.

I poke one with my shortsword, hoping that they are friendly. They are not. God damnit Flan. Teleport! Before it goes off, the Chaos Spawn hits and paralyzes Nue, and she gets beat on and reduced to EXACTLY 1 HP before teleporting into a solitary giant bat. This is the result.

Sorry guys. Thanks to Flandre being a complete dick, she didn't make it. Back to Totaku's last save. You can at least decide whether you want to screw around with the shortsword of speed again or not.

But to be honest this was pretty much totally my fault, I shouldn't have been picking fights in melee without spamming snakes first.

As a side note, why would anyone use Xom if the asshole won't even let you rest?

EDIT: OH right, do go ahead and sign me up again, although my performance in late game will probably be even more disastrous.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 10:06:16 AM by Stuffman »

Totaku

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 01:44:14 PM »
Ouch, you seem to be having it good there for a little bit until you had that accident. But let's see maybe it might be a good time to give out some possible tips on getting Flan to favor you has her "favorite toy"

1. Be a risk taker, always use and consume unidentified products. Flan especially loves it when you do this  and that'll hurt you in one form or another, but it gains her interest.

2. Potions of mutations are always good for grabbing flan's interest! She loves it when you chance. That's a given especially as a demon spawn. Heck, eat some mutating meat from Ugly things might not hurt either!

3. Always stumble into an unknown trap, especially teleportation ones! Flan loves those.

4. It an enemy has a fancy wand like "teleportation of ploymorph others" let em zap you! Sure the effect at 9/10 times back when the enemy does it, but it allows you to gain flans trust at the same time. Oh and if you have a wand of random effects you can always entertain flan with that too!

So yeah making Flan into your favorite toy is about going out of the way and hurting yourself in ways you wouldn't normally want to in crawl.

And do be aware that Flan's interest always has a roller coaster effect. So do expect her to loose interest, but as long as you amuse her that roller coaster effect will have less of an impact on you eventually.

That's what I've seen so far from my Xom experience.
Now I Twitter

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 07:52:39 PM »
And here we are, start of level eight. I'll start this off by exploring this level a bit. I equip the sword of speed because the speed brand gives us 2x the amount of attacks. While it does slightly less damage than the hammer, it's a much faster weapon. I find an unidentified scroll while doing this.

I run across this weapons store. We should probably take note of the falchion here if we ever get enough to afford it. Aside from that, nothing else worth buying. I pick up a potion of healing and get encumbered. Fantastic. I'll drink one of the two teal potions we have to temporarily rectify this/please Flandre. It IDs as a potion of speed, btw.

and while exploring, I manage to piss off an enclave of Orcs. Orc wizards tend to be a pain in the ass, so I open with a confusion potion, fail to cast sticks to snakes two times in a row, and end up distilling a poison potion to deal with them. I sword the remaining confused orcs to death. I later realize sticks to snakes failed because I'm suppose to have the arrows in hand before casting. :derp:

I run into a few Marisa yukkuris and Koakumas while exploring the rest of the dungeon, but Nue dispatches them easily. I'm getting tired of this encumbering issue, so I enchant our short sword of speed, ID a scroll of random uselessness, and ID a potion of brilliance. Oh, there's the altar too, but I think it's okay to see how sticking with Flandre fares.

I have dungeon 8 pretty much fully explored by this point, so I descend to dungeon 9. While beating up some poor worm near the stairs, Flandre thinks it's a good idea to retard my intelligence a bit. Thanks.

Oh Jesus, a necrophage, a phantom, and a pack of yukkuris. Even in a corridor I'm outmatched. I pop a scroll of teleport after dropping a potion of confusion...

and manage to end up in an even worse position. Luckily there's a set of stairs nearby, so I pick up the enchant weapon scroll and dash upstairs until I recover. After going downstairs, I dispatch one of the uniques and promptly get swarmed by a pack of bees. I end up having to go upstairs again, and have to use a healing potion and yet another teleport scroll because killer bees are kicking my ass.

Flandre promptly responds to this by punishing me.

...and zapping me while I'm resting. Luckily, this promotes Nue to her special plaything. I use my remaining enchant weapon scrolls and kick some bee ass.

wait we lost 2 dex, shit. and being overloaded is not helping anything. I try to rest for a bit, and Flandre zaps my intelligence again. What the hell.

And I'm still overloaded. I have no idea what to drop. I end up using any un-IDed scrolls and potions; I'm still overloaded. I drop the rocks and water potions by the stairs here. So if we really need to go back and pick them up, we can.

I go downstairs, cast sticks to snakes, and still end up using two healing potions against the vile bees. Thinking that's all the bees on the level, I explore some more. While turning a corner, I discover more killer bees and a few pissed off orc warriors staring me right in the face. They kill me in record time, and no amount of snakes can help me. Flandre thinks this is funny.

bees just kicked my ass

thats really all there is to say on the matter

3775 Nue the Ducker (level 9, -1/59 (63) HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Transmuter on May 10, 2010.
             Was a Plaything of Xom.
             Slain by an orc warrior
             ... wielding a +0,+0 orcish great mace
              (20 damage)
             ... on Level 9 of the Dungeon on May 14, 2010.
             The game lasted 01:51:01 (12686 turns).

Well this was embarrassing. I should have played it safer, but holy shit  just getting nailed over and over again by negative Flan effects hurts. Killer bees burned through Nue's snakes and healing potions like a blowtorch. Two lives claimed by dungeon 9 so far.  :ohdear:

(maybe we should consider changing from Flandre to Patchouli)

Anyways, I suppose I'm up for another relay later on. Put me at the bottom of the rotation.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 08:40:13 PM »
Can't sleep. Flan will kill me.

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
bees just kicked my ass

thats really all there is to say on the matter

Sapz would be proud!

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 09:15:44 PM »
Oh wow. Crabs moves fast. :V

Currently at dad's, so I may have to wait till I get back home before I belt out another Nue death. See further into it tonight.

Edit: I am a liar. >Report Starts here to avoid double post.

Started up on Floor 8. Huzzah! The first thing I noticed was a resting Jelly, thus, deciding his peace must be shattered, promptly woke him up with a rock, before begining my genocide on rats, yukuwriggles, yukkurisas, and Koakuma.

Suddenly Flandrom (Apparently the text wasn't changed in my version. Woops!) drops down with some runed sling bullets. Which is pretty nice except we can't really use them. I pick them up to not risk Flandrom getting mad, then get back to killing and pillaging.

Apparently I'm special to Flandrom now. I hope this means she won't hurt me too much?

Lotsa mushrooms down here. Explains the Yukkurisas.

Oh fuck. BLUE BAT AND THE ORC SQUAD. Clearly this means I must quaff a potion.

I have no idea why I did this, but it sped me up and pleased Flandrom. I guess sped up Nue looks like a total spaz? I then wasted a crapload of potions trying to kill an orc wizard, glicst, and orc warrior. Go me.

I then find a pair of enchanted items off of a mook orc, feeling lucky, I chance an ID on that flail.

[

I learn Flandrom hates people IDing things, and that it was just a 0, +1 flail. I ditch it accordingly.

I then wreck our hammer killing a jelly. -Go me-.

...Bushy eyebrows, Flandrom? I'm glad I'm your favourite, but come on.

Feeling bold, I chance going to floor 9 an-

Oh, Xom telep-

JANE GET ME OFF THIS CRAZY THING!

Oh thank goodness. Wait. Is that pyont- ARGH OH GOD. He then -hands me my ass like the badass hat he is-.

In response, I toss a shitload of potions at him. Subsequently confusing an ant into poisoning him and confusing them both. I sit back and watch the two kill eachother.

Then this guy shows up and begins to fucking -wreck me-. Walked straight through my potion spam pretty much. Desperately, I tossed one last potion at him.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

I get the fuck out of there once he starts spam summoning a SHITLOAD of rats and holy crap hes still NEAR ISN'T HE RUN AWAY.

Xom warps me again. Luckily not into TITAN SLUG. Deciding to not waste potions, I turn into a spider and eat this dude and his buddy up. Getting two magic items in the process which I stored.

I find a shrine and more angry orcs.

Who kick my ass. Teleport scroll follows.

I port in on a hobgoblin. I beat the shit out of and find a ring! It...does nothing. Comes with a flask too.

Then an orc warrior with a speed potion and a zombie run into me and kill the hell out of me as I tried to run. Not potion spam, not teleport scroll. -Run-.

Fully deserved that death. NUE DEATH COUNT: 3.

That said, Sign me up for another round.

A such, Zengar, go put us all to shame.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:09:58 AM by Chaore »

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 04:15:43 AM »
Zengar Kills Nue 2: Eclectic Boogaloo!
So yeah. D:8, and stuff. Equipping the sword and leaving the jelly for now. I wander around some more, Killing a Koa-

Welp. that wasn't THAT bad. I walk up on the Orc gang, throw a potion of confusion and start banging up on the-

FFS FLAN YOU BITCH
TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT
After returning to them from behind, killing stuff up and having Flan entertained by the Steam Dragon biting himself, I beat it. Go me!

Sadly, I got the Jelly corrode a little bit the sword, so I use all my enchanitng scrolls. Now, D:9!

Distortion Damage for a new mutation (A good one, +10% HP) and increase in likeness? Huzzah!

Welp, that was fast. Increase of Dex for decrease on STR and +1 AC. Not bad! Also, Favourite Toy!
In the mean time, I almost got killed by an Orc Warrior. And I got a potion of strong Poison!

:D :D :D :D

To be noted. Not like it will be useful to us, but.
Noticed a Phantom and a couple zombie-

Oh FFS. Confusion and stuff. The Ogre escapes, but the Phantom is ded. A couple of free teleports from Flan later...

Oh my GOD THIS IS DELICIOUS THANKS FLAN (This all means +2AC, Faster natural healing, +1 Dex, distortion damage and THE WILL TO TELEPORT)
Also LEVEL UP to 10. Now, to D10!
Or not. But actually that wasn't a bad idea, because thanks to an unidentified wand of Flame, Flan summons a Friendly Manes to help me with a Wyvern.

Stone Walls. Must mean something. First chamber is a Lizard and a Wizard. (Ha ha, old Chap!)
Second chamber is a Vault! It contains a Book of the Earth. Will keep it for now. Third chamber is a SHITLOAD of Altered Rats. They're rats that breathe fire. Yes. I let the Manes screw with them and then proceed to Distill.
Sadly, the Manes vanishes.
[Timeskip]
[IMG=http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2198/c11n.th.png][/IMG]
...I knew I should have stopped earlier. It was such a good run ;_;
Anyways, sign me up again. Totaku, please don't die a fifth time ;_______;