Author Topic: UFO Power?  (Read 8513 times)

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
UFO Power?
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:41:16 AM »
Am I the only one who tries not to instinctively grab the power items when you die?

I mean, seriously. How is .07 power going to help you in the long run?

JoonK

• Touhou scrub
  • Life's a game but it's not fair~
    • My Youtube Account
Re: UFO Power?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 04:45:11 AM »
I did, until I got 3.94 power going into Shou.

Then I always grab them, every little bit helps derp :V
Yuka <3
^^^ Links to newest/best YT upload

Drake

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 04:49:48 AM »
Well, one time when I was trying to 1cc Normal with MarisaB, I died during Devil's Recitation and didn't pick up the power. I go through St. Nikou, and am left 2/1 on Fantastica. With all the power she drops, I'm left at 3.91 power. I bomb through carelessness, then die on the yellow waves. I pick up my power and have 2.98. Of course, I die with a few seconds left that could have been done with an extra option.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:53:35 AM »
Somehow the game feels designed to leave you with 3.99 power if you don't pick up every god damn power that comes your way.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:58:45 AM »
I don't pick them up anymore.  It doesn't make a difference when a piece of shit clip deaths you 3 times in a row and you lose even if you have 10 lives left since you are now weak.

Seriously, having a 400 Power system is dumb, either bump the power up to 5.00 like MoF.  Or have it snipe 0.50 whenever we die.  Fuck, we don't even get a Full Item whenever we are down to our last life anymore, bullshit.

Bananamatic

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 05:15:13 AM »
That's why I hate UFO.
You can't even do stage practice without being on 1 power all the fucking time.

JoonK

• Touhou scrub
  • Life's a game but it's not fair~
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 05:20:11 AM »
especially cause you only get 2 power for stage practice. which complicates actually PRACTICING THE STAGE when spellcards last longer and your timing is off from normal full runs.
Yuka <3
^^^ Links to newest/best YT upload

Scooter1000

• Certified Danmaku Dodger
  • Doesn't post a lot.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 05:31:26 AM »
I usually ignore them; I'd rather not risk dying again in order to get such a small amount of power back. Then again, I hardly notice them in the first place since the first thing I look for when I die are those big powerups. :V

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 05:37:18 AM »
especially cause you only get 2 power for stage practice. which complicates actually PRACTICING THE STAGE when spellcards last longer and your timing is off from normal full runs.

Forget about that buddy, just try going through Stage 6 without dying to those blue dodge balls in the beginning.  I have no trouble with them, at full power, that is.

I beat Shou with 4.00 Power thanks, I deserve to go to Stage 6 with full power.

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »
The words UFO Power spells frustration in my brain. I had hoped for UFO and its EoSD/PCB/IN-style bomb system would prevent me from losing power but alas, i have to lose 1 power for each death and getting silly 0.07 back. Back in those games, if i died i would be back at full game after the following spellcard. Not in UFO though. If you lose the power, you'll lose it pretty much permanently. Well, Byakuren does drop a decent amount sometimes but that's about it.

Nue's guilty here as well. Dying will cause all the following spells until your power is back to become much harder. Annoying. And i also remember going for a capture of Ichirins lunatic spells. Getting to them with 4 power was so damn annoying. Usually, the best i could do was 3 power which in the end was what i got the spells with.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 11:28:03 AM »
I only pick them up if it's feasible.

The power system does give me headaches though.  Dying once on a boss basically screws you over for the rest of the battle.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 09:43:02 PM »
I only pick them up if it's feasible.

The power system does give me headaches though.  Dying once on a boss basically screws you over for the rest of the battle.

Bingo. Its very frustrating.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 09:48:36 PM »
The power system is designed so that you'd be able to get power back quickly enough by manipulating your UFOs. Flashing and Blue UFOs are fantastic for getting insta-4.00.

Unfortunately ZUN forgot that THERE ARE NO UFOS DURING BOSS FIGHTS.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 10:39:18 PM »
Unfortunately ZUN forgot that THERE ARE NO UFOS DURING BOSS FIGHTS.
Later bosses drop a little less than 0.5 power per spell anyway, so you should be able to bring your power back up after two spells IF you collect the deathpower.

It's not worse than SA's life system, where you can bomb a lot, die, and have fewer lives AND insubstantial power.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 10:44:40 PM »
0.07 Power has been major before. From experience, I've hit 1.98, 2.98 and other stupid numbers before.

The major Power loss encourages more bombing; isn't that a good thing? Learn to bomb, learn to not rely solely on a "monstrous" number of lives to pull you through, etc. What does this sum up to? Avoid dying.

It's not worse than SA's life system, where you can bomb a lot, die, and have fewer lives AND insubstantial power.
SA's system was fair for all characters but MarisaA IMO.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »
SA's system was fair for all characters but MarisaA IMO.
ITT, it becomes apparent which SA shot type I use >.>

Bananamatic

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 10:48:21 PM »
ITT, it becomes apparent which SA shot type I use >.>
wait
there are more shot types?

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 10:50:05 PM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Bananamatic

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 11:08:25 PM »
>:|
ReimuB - useless bomb. It doesn't even clear the goddamn screen.
ReimuC - GODrake only.

MarisaA - Shitty bomb. Enough said. It cuts a 1 pixel line through the danmaku, giving you maybe 3 seconds of safety.
MarisaB - Cool, but it sucks having to switch between shot types. I've game over'd at Yuugi because I couldn't pay enough attention due to the constant switching.
MarisaC - FUCKING REVOLUTION, A BOMB THAT DOES NOTHING
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Hey, it atleast cleans the screen.

ReimuA - Simple forward shot, a bomb which does damage AND clears the screen.
No shitty gimmicks.

ebarrett

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 11:38:13 PM »
ReimuA - Simple forward shot, a bomb which does damage AND clears the screen after giving you five minutes of invincibility and ubergraze.
Weird gimmick which makes stage 6 easier than it already is.

fixed.

oh and by the way MarisaA's bomb gives like 0.3 seconds of safety, you should fix that typo as well.  :V

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 11:40:36 PM »
wait
there are more shot types?
There are two.
Three if you're more neurotic than me and like MarisaB.

With that said, two of those three types are for people who aren't playing to win.

Also, ReimuA has the gapping gimmick.

MarisaC would have been remotely acceptable if the missiles did splash damage IMO.

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 12:59:02 AM »
MarisaC would have been remotely acceptable if the missiles did splash damage IMO.
I agree, though I find it at least makes for easier spellcard practicing (as well as potentially the easiest Satori set).

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 01:06:34 AM »

i'd of liked it better if it was like the old fashioned Christmas Tree shots she had in the earlier games.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 03:40:49 AM »
Well, to be fair.  MarisaC is fairly decent against the last 2 cards, those bombs really help.  You can concentrate on dodging instead of worrying to death bomb.  ReimuB is okay, it really helps to bomb post mid-boss Orin in Stage 5.

After clipping on Omen in the purple Clouds for the upteenth time, it officially becomes an auto-bomb for me in a 1cc run.

moozooh

• Your grandfather
    • Touhou world record tracker
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »
If one stops coming from the perspective of "bombs [should] equal a spellcard skip" and instead think of them as things that help you not die if you fail to dodge, everything suddenly starts making more sense than before.
<nintendonut888> Mountain of Faith, or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb."

Lopsidation

• Exploring the Twin Labyrinths
  • Be light of heart;
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 10:44:47 PM »
MarisaC is the best if you can get over the "Bombs are now shields, I should bomb even if I'm in no danger whatsoever" reaction.
You can actually deathbomb with MarisaC without activating the full bomb. You even get your .5 power back if you survive through the rest of it.
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 11:42:34 PM »
Adding to what Lopsidation said, MarisaC's damage output stays the same between 3 and 4 power.  Combined with the fact that you get .5 power back if you don't get hit during her bomb, and that it doesn't fail a spellcard unless you actually get hit, it's a viable shot type if you have the mindset for it.

Plus, it has one of the only two screen clearing bombs in the game.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 12:40:51 AM »
i'd of liked it better if it was like the old fashioned Christmas Tree shots she had in the earlier games.
Its almost too bad that they got turned into her base shot, and the strong full-forward attack got handed to Persuasion Needle(Which lost its spread)
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore