Author Topic: [Music] Blue attempts some things  (Read 6387 times)

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
[Music] Blue attempts some things
« on: December 01, 2013, 02:29:39 AM »
For those of you who don't know me, I've been a Touhou fan since around January this year. A large part of why I'm a fan is the music and the arrangements, so I decided that I'd attempt at making some myself. I've played an instrument for around nine years, and I had already been thinking of arrangements of VGM, so I decided to actually put some of it on paper(or on a computer or whatever) back in August. And then school, AP classes, and procrastination all happened. So now, almost four months after I told myself I would, I made an electronic arrangement of the Touhou title theme(well, the EoSD one). So here it is:

Crimson Clouds

I also have a SoundCloud account, if anyone wants to follow me on there.

Update: My friends started a band called Das Cool Gal, and I joined it. We make some things. Some very silly things. SoundCloud link

We also have a Tumblr and Facebook. Yeah.

Putting a list of the stuff I've made here. It'll be mainly Youtube links, but everything will be on Soundcloud too.

Touhou Arrangements:
Crimson Clouds
Lunar Eclipse
Meltdown
Time Stopper
Sunset Breeze
Party at the Shrine

Originals:
My Mountain?

WIPs:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:45:39 AM by Blue »

Fuyuumi

• A fairy pichuu'ed me.
Re: [Music] Blue attempts a thing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »
I like it, although it could have some parts edited, like that saw-ish thing... it felt a bit too flat to me... and kicks went a bit too quiet. I'll follow you on Soundclound and I hope you'll throw another song soon ^_^

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 12:43:39 AM »
That's really cool! I can't wait for more!

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:54:26 AM »
I like it, although it could have some parts edited, like that saw-ish thing... it felt a bit too flat to me... and kicks went a bit too quiet. I'll follow you on Soundclound and I hope you'll throw another song soon ^_^
Yeah, that's what I think was the most iffy part too. I didn't realize it until after I uploaded it, though, so oh well. I've also got an idea for a Lunatic Eyes arrangement, just have to put it down...

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
[Music] Blue attempts more things
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »
I finished my Lunatic Eyes arrangement, it's on my Soundcloud and will be on Youtube as soon as the video saves...

It was kind of an experiment in how far I could repeat something and still keep it from getting boring, but I think it actually turned out pretty well despite that. That, and how I couldn't think of a way to connect the two parts I had, so I ended up just putting them together :V

e: It's up!

Lunar Eclipse(Youtube link)

Soundcloud link
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:00:31 AM by Blue »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
Re: [Music] Blue attempts more things
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 01:39:38 AM »
I finished my Lunatic Eyes arrangement, it's on my Soundcloud and will be on Youtube as soon as the video saves...

It was kind of an experiment in how far I could repeat something and still keep it from getting boring, but I think it actually turned out pretty well despite that. That, and how I couldn't think of a way to connect the two parts I had, so I ended up just putting them together :V

e: It's up!

Lunar Eclipse(Youtube link)

Soundcloud link

About the repetition, if you feel that you are repeating something too much you could try to:

* Apply the "Rule of Three";
* Throw the repetitive part to a different key or instrument; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vC4Bg1slyo (0:00 until 0:43)
* Stack more melody lines/percursion  patterns with the repetitive part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csv5j92woHk (1:57 until 2:44) / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5SvGjLC-j0 (2:47 until 3:59)

I enjoyed your song but I think that your arrangement is a bit repetitive and you could use more instruments.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Kimidori

• Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »
Flowering Night is a good lesson at repeating something without making it boring I think.

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

Fuyuumi

• A fairy pichuu'ed me.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »
Flowering Night is a good lesson at repeating something without making it boring I think.

Offtopic: I found a rp session inside this video's comments.

By the way, almost every BGM is supposted to repeat until the stage is changed in any way (ie. player's death, special event or completing). As for Blue's song: It really feels like a BGM from a game in a good way. If you want, you can also make some longer notes playes by repeating the same note few times. It's hard to explain for me without throwing tons of videos... let's just say that you can "fill in" some notes like percussion patterns. It sounds really nice if you want to stutter your song a bit.

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
[Music] I don't know what I'm doing(Touhou/Silly Original Stuff)
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
Kaze_Senshi: Thanks for the links/tips, hopefully I'll actually be able to put them into use soon.

So a few of my friends had a band going on since around the time I put up Crimson Clouds(probably a week or two longer, I don't remember exactly when) called Das Cool Gal. It started off as a joke, but they're getting (slightly)more serious now, so I decided to join in. Then I extended a 30-second-long track that also started as a joke. And then it ended up at 5 and a half minutes long. Here it is.

MY MOUNTAIN
can someone tell me what this is i don't know

I've also decided on a name to put my music under, which is Kymisus. I came up with it a few days ago, and it sounded cool, so there's the reasoning behind that  :derp:

The OP's also been updated with more things, like a list of what I'm working on and updated links.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:36:24 AM by Blue »

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: [Music] Wait what, something new?(Touhou/Silly Original Stuff)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 09:06:56 AM »
I finally have something new, which should have been done around a month ago. Unfortunately, school got really busy and I have not had much time to work on music. So here it is, much later than it was supposed to be.

Meltdown

Youtube link

I've got a bunch of new things coming up, and if I have enough time, I'm hoping to get them done by the end of April. One of them should be going up in the next week(hopefully).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:26:21 AM by Blue »

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: [Music] Wait what, something new?(Touhou/Silly Original Stuff)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 01:08:40 AM »
Well, I got some pretty bad music block on the thing I wanted to finish a week after Meltdown went up. It's still not done, but it's a lot closer. In the meantime, I started and finished a Luna Dial arrangement. Here it is:

Time Stopper

I finally learned how to mix volume and stuff sort of properly too, so that's good.

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 06:02:09 AM »
Okay, since school's pretty much over for me, I can finally make things faster. Hopefully. If I stop being dumb. At least I finished a Spring Lane arrangement, and I tried more of a trance feel for this one. I still need to finish the other thing that I have, though. I seriously don't know  why that's not done.

Sunset Breeze(Soundcloud)(Youtube)

I'd also like some feedback on how I'm doing. I really would like to know if I've actually made something good or not, at least for a beginner.

Fuyuumi

• A fairy pichuu'ed me.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 01:28:23 PM »
Much better than me, that's sure. ;)

I really like your style and I might learn something from you.

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: [Music] Blue attempts some things
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 07:48:27 AM »
Well, I got another thing done, and it's not the one I haven't worked on in forever. I literally need half an hour to finish it, I'm just not motivated to do it. Hopefully I can do it in the next few weeks.

Party at the Shrine(Soundcloud)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:21:16 AM by Blue »

Shotoku

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 02:44:12 PM »
I actually started moving my feet a bit when I got to Time Stopper, but I personally have some suggestions (even though I can't make music at all  :x )

1) Your bass lines sound a bit scratchy. I really like the tone, but perhaps try to smooth the sound out a bit more.
2) Most of your notes abruptly stop before the next one is played. If you can, try adding a fade effect so each note sounds like it moves naturally into the next, instead of it sounding too "midi-ish"
3) Some of the sections of your song get too repetitive. I don't really mean parts of songs repeating too much, but rather you just playing the same note many times in a row.
4) Finally, I think a couple parts sound too unattached from the rest of the song. What I mean is, they don't really sound like they belong because they differ so much from the rest of the tune.

Examples in Time Stopper and Sunset Breeze:
1) Time Stopper 0:15, Sunset Breeze from the beginning.
2) Time Stopper 2:15, Sunset Breeze does a better job, but the lower tone still does this from the beginning.
3) Again, both of them start this out at the start of the song. Sunset Breeze pulls out of it quickly though.
4) Time Stopper 3:15, Sunset Breeze with the higher pitch at 1:00 and 3:00

I like how you're improving, and hope you don't quit this soon.

(Also, your link to Party at the Shire points to Sunset Breeze, not your new song)  ;)

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 05:08:45 AM »
I think the main problem that I had with those two is that I made them too long, so I came up with those parts that feel unattached to fill in space. Now that I'm looking back on it, I should have just made them shorter instead of doing that. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

...That goof with the link has been fixed, too. Probably shouldn't have uploaded it at 1 AM.