Author Topic: Art Tips Thread II  (Read 214706 times)

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Re: Art Tips Thread II
« Reply #240 on: November 16, 2014, 06:39:57 AM »
OK picked up a sketchbook today along with some colored pencils, kinda nervous to even get started but as you say the sketchbook is for experimenting. I kinda wanted to by some colored crafting paper and make some paper versions of Touhou character out of cut shapes, maybe next paycheck lol.

For a pencil would any just do for the sketchbook or should I get a certain kind?
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #241 on: November 16, 2014, 07:07:37 AM »
There are a million+ ways to leave your mark on a canvas, choose the one that you feel the most comfortable with or one you're interested in.
Just remember, the more you spend time fretting over what stuff to buy to get started, the more money and time you waste.
Also, try to make an effort to finish things. If one avoids the full extent of their inadequacies due to fear, they will never be able to appreciate the full qualities of their inadequacies. And perhaps even areas that are unexpectedly unique.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #242 on: November 16, 2014, 07:18:44 AM »
OK picked up a sketchbook today along with some colored pencils, kinda nervous to even get started but as you say the sketchbook is for experimenting. I kinda wanted to by some colored crafting paper and make some paper versions of Touhou character out of cut shapes, maybe next paycheck lol.

For a pencil would any just do for the sketchbook or should I get a certain kind?
Protip: Focus on what you can do now, and sweat with the small stuff later.

Basically, draw first if you're really willing, and make those papercrafts after.

Edit: for pencils. It'll be fine for you to start with an ordinary #2 or HB Pencil, or practically any pencil you're comfortable with. I usually use #1 when I rough sketch.
Eventually you'll find yourself knowing what pencils to use. Charcoal Pencil is always good for some rough sketches and when you want to go monochrome.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:24:22 AM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2014, 12:54:28 AM »
Drew some monster girls. (nsfw)

Only really satisfied with the penguin girl, myself. Opinions?

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #244 on: November 24, 2014, 01:18:12 AM »
First thing, I'm really no expert and have difficulty drawing anything in general so take what I say with a grain of salt. Second, I'm in no way trying to be mean, I tell it how I see it.

OK, first thing I noticed was how very human they  look compared to their animal counter part. Now this doesn't matter so much as its also based on veiwer and artists tastes on the level of Animalization (not even sure if that's a word.) I've seen them be very humal like to barely human so my taste is somewhere in the middle for me.

Second thing I noticed was they do look a bit chubby, but again that's on the viewer side, I personally don't see many monster girls that are not skinny so that's just my lack of experience. But I think the frog one looks fine, frogs do look like that anyway.

Lastly the dog-girls breasts go a bit flat once they reach the outer chest and look a bit like man muscles. Maybe just round them out more near the outer part.

Sorry if I said anything offensive or made you mad, that isn't my intent.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »
Drew some monster girls. (nsfw)

Only really satisfied with the penguin girl, myself. Opinions?
Chihuhua monster girl should be a loli IMO. :derp:

Frog monster girl lacks a bit more amphibian traits. Idk what, but that certainly doesn't stand out much to being a frog girl.

Penguin monster girl...Is that a faerie?

They more look like just animal girls that actual monster girls to me. My definition of monster girls is the usage of different animals combined together, to a girl. Basically a chimera girl.
Or a use of a mythological creature to a girl. Like Puzzle and Dragons Monster Girls. :derp:

Ofc that's just me.

If I could suggest you a reference, you could try using "Hiroyoshi Tsukamoto's MangaMatrix". Probably one of the best usage of a matrix to create characters I've read yet. It actually ranges and utilizes different species of animals to humans to create rather unique characters. It could help you with your monster girls.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »
I meant to make my post in the Show Your Artwork Thread, but instead I posted it here without realizing it. :derp: But I appreciate the feedback! I'll be responding to the points you make in order, to clear up any confusion that would otherwise arise (being autistic, giving people the wrong idea is something I myself do often and unintentionally  :ohdear:)

Feedback

I see what you mean in regards to animalization. I know some things I could have done to make them look more animal-like, but you can see the reasons in the dA desc if you want to see them.

As for the chubbyness, I guess it's just a case of one man's middleweight being another man's chubby. :P

I see what you mean about the breasts; that's easily fixed.

Also, I'm not offended by your feedback. Considering this forum's culture, your feedback is actually rather gently worded. :)

Feedbacks

Agreed she should look like a little girl, but for the best result I had to make her an adult xD

I could have made the frog girl look more amphibian, true. I think I know what you mean and exactly how to go about making it more obvious she's a frog monster.

Designing penguin girls is hard :V I had some design choices to make her look more like one, but couldn't go through with it due to lack of time.

I think I see what you mean. Human upper half, monster lower half, right? Though it's different for some kinds of plant girls...

I'll consider putting that book on my to-buy list once I get to the right point. Thanks for the suggestion!

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #247 on: December 04, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »
So thank you all for the drawing tips! Fun with a pencil by Andrew Loomis was much better then I had hoped, however I feel that I need some more work on the anime style of faces and especially the eyes. Maybe I should just play around with faces first but would still like some tips on how to do eyes. Can be simple or complex.

« Reply #248 on: December 10, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
Excuse me... I'm trying to get into serious comic making and I was wondering if anyone had any programs that I can use to make an easier time of formatting. I use SAI, but to be frank, I find it's editing capabilities to be somewhat weak, so mostly what I do is paint and sketch in it, without finishing many pictures. I don't think I can insert text into it (which makes putting in dialogue hand-cramping at best) and I've no idea how to use the line tool for panel layout, so I mostly end up drawing my own lines which are frankly sloppy at best.

Something simple that isn't too hard to transfer to would be my favorite, but I'm open to suggestions. Also I want to know if there are any particular stipulations on size. I tend to try to go for larger images, but ahh... I'm aware that some of them get crunched up in previews. Is there any way to avoid this?

I've made one comic (Here!) so far, but it was pretty back-breaking and I had to give up on nice clean linework so I don't know if I'll try it this way again. Any critique at all, especially on layout and readability is greatly appreciated!

Inigo Montoya

• Random Lurker
  • Aardvark soup is good
« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2014, 01:50:57 AM »
Excuse me... I'm trying to get into serious comic making and I was wondering if anyone had any programs that I can use to make an easier time of formatting. I use SAI, but to be frank, I find it's editing capabilities to be somewhat weak, so mostly what I do is paint and sketch in it, without finishing many pictures. I don't think I can insert text into it (which makes putting in dialogue hand-cramping at best) and I've no idea how to use the line tool for panel layout, so I mostly end up drawing my own lines which are frankly sloppy at best.

Something simple that isn't too hard to transfer to would be my favorite, but I'm open to suggestions. Also I want to know if there are any particular stipulations on size. I tend to try to go for larger images, but ahh... I'm aware that some of them get crunched up in previews. Is there any way to avoid this?

I've made one comic (Here!) so far, but it was pretty back-breaking and I had to give up on nice clean linework so I don't know if I'll try it this way again. Any critique at all, especially on layout and readability is greatly appreciated!

Great start to your comic there! I like the stroke, and the page size is fine if this is meant for online reading. The text as you said, could be cleaner, but it actually does fit in context with your style.

Anyway, for programs, there's of course the usual Adobe Photoshop which may cost an arm and a leg, but I'd suggest Clip Studio Paint. The pens are similar to Sai, and there are editing tools to add in panel layouts, text, and screentone effects among others. The Pro version is rather affordable and there's even periodical sales where the price goes even lower.

For page size, if it's online, then the sky's the limit and you can make the canvas as big as you want, but if you're planning for future book printing, something along A4/B4 size at 300 to 600 dpi would suffice. With that you can already resize for the usual book sizes without losing quality in print.

Hope that helps and keep on drawing  :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 03:01:08 AM by Inigo Montoya »
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya...

« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2014, 06:41:31 AM »
Great start to your comic there! I like the stroke, and the page size is fine if this is meant for online reading. The text as you said, could be cleaner, but it actually does fit in context with your style.

Anyway, for programs, there's of course the usual Adobe Photoshop which may cost an arm and a leg, but I'd suggest Clip Studio Paint. The pens are similar to Sai, and there are editing tools to add in panel layouts, text, and screentone effects among others. The Pro version is rather affordable and there's even periodical sales where the price goes even lower.

For page size, if it's online, then the sky's the limit and you can make the canvas as big as you want, but if you're planning for future book printing, something along A4/B4 size at 300 to 600 dpi would suffice. With that you can already resize for the usual book sizes without losing quality in print.

Hope that helps and keep on drawing  :D

Thank you so much. I was having a really rough time finding a middle ground between Photoshop and SAI, so it's a great relief to find such a nice alternative. It's good to know about the resizing information- I was really concerned about it but just couldn't seem to find any information.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #251 on: December 13, 2014, 01:46:25 AM »
Well... first of all, art isn't really my forte. I'm more into video games, so I'm by no means expert on the former. But sometimes I wish I could draw some stuff, so...

I'd like to buy a drawing tablet to help me with this. I think I'd enjoy more drawing through the computer than traditional media. But from what I could see, there are many models/brands/etc (ctl-480l, cth480l, cth680l, whatever), so I have absolutely no idea which one to get.

Can someone recommend me a good drawing tablet? It'd help a bunch.

If you need to know what kind of stuff I wish to draw, then it's mostly humans (bishoujo, etc), but maybe fantasy monsters occasionally as well.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

pineyappled

« Reply #252 on: December 13, 2014, 02:39:11 AM »
I've tried Monoprice and low-end Wacom. Monoprice is really, really good. I'd totally recommend it for anyone who's not drawing for a profession, though you should note that it's desperately lacking in tech support and may have compatibility issues - nothing you can't work around, and the price does make up for it, but it can still be a hassle.
Drawing pads as in tablets? Try Monoprice.
if you've got $50 to shell out
or wacom if you have $$$
please read the thread

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #253 on: December 13, 2014, 02:51:43 AM »
None of the previous posts are explaining the difference between the Wacom models and this is what I want to know.

So I'll repeat: can someone recommend me a good model?

Sweetness and love~ ♥

pineyappled

« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2014, 04:47:04 AM »
Did you try looking at the Wacom website? They have a compare function...

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »
The model numbers for the wacoms just indicate which type you have, along with the size, as you can see here. So ignore the model numbers and just focus on which product line you want, and what size you want.
If you're just beginning, I doubt you would need to look beyond the Intuos line of Wacom tablets. Intuos Manga comes with a 2 year license to Clip Studio Paint. It might just be because the school monitors are huge, but I found working with them to be a bit too sensitive in a weird sort of way. It could also have been Photoshop's fault, since it doesn't feature any line correcting like drawing programs do.
I use the bamboo fun, which was their previous low end model. Pressure sensitivity is lower, but it works pretty good for me. The cheapest used one on ebay in the link above is like 30$. However, it doesn't come with any software so you'd have to use Sai or Krita or Sketchbook or something.
For non-wacom tablets, I hear monoprice is pretty good. I don't have any experience with them, but many people say they work quite well. The only usual complaint is that the pens often feel cheaper than wacom ones and also need batteries to work; wacom pens don't.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #256 on: December 14, 2014, 06:08:49 PM »
Thank you for the info, Mea.

So... I just found this on Mercado Livre (pretty much the Brazilian equivalent to ebay):
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-597572051-mesa-digitalizadora-tablet-wacom-manga-comic--_JM

It's a bit expensive, but seems to be specific for drawing manga style. Since this is the style I want to draw mostly, would it be a good idea to purchase this model?

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #257 on: December 14, 2014, 11:13:13 PM »
Thank you for the info, Mea.

So... I just found this on Mercado Livre (pretty much the Brazilian equivalent to ebay):
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-597572051-mesa-digitalizadora-tablet-wacom-manga-comic--_JM

It's a bit expensive, but seems to be specific for drawing manga style. Since this is the style I want to draw mostly, would it be a good idea to purchase this model?

No, it's an absolute gimmick. The only reason it's called manga is because of the software it comes with then they slap a premium price on it. You'd be better looking at the Intuos Pen Small or Intuos Pen and Touch Medium. Personally, however, I'd see if I could find a second hand Bamboo fun Medium (cth-670) or Bamboo pen and touch (cth-470k) on the cheap (depending on what size you want).
Congregation of Impertinent Drama Queens.

Art threadLivestream | Pixiv

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #258 on: December 14, 2014, 11:34:41 PM »
You're Brazilian, stay the fuck away from ML.com or anywhere else that you can buy electronics from in our country, and buy one of these.

It's cheap, small, several reviews say it's pretty damn good, and you won't get anally raped in the wallethole with our ridiculous taxes and fees. Seriously, R$500 for a freaking starter-level graphics tablet is just fucking ridiculous. If you're just starting and this is your first tablet, a smaller one will do better, and you shouldn't invest half a grand in something you might not even like. Plus wacom marks their stuff up by default since everyone knows the brand, but that doesn't mean they're any less shitty than some other brands. Particularly Monoprice(which isn't worth it for us because shipping from the US gets expensive) and Huion are doing jolly fine in reviews. Plus, it's R$60, if it's not great you can just resell or give it to someone and buy something else lol
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #259 on: December 15, 2014, 12:21:35 AM »
Good news: Iirc, Monoprice tablets are actually manufactured by Huion, so whether you buy from one company or the other, they should be just as good.

Yeah, I'd echo the suggestion not to jump straight into Wacom. I made that mistake when I first started getting into drawing. The tablet wasn't bad or anything. It's just that, after buying and trying both Wacom and Monoprice entry-level models, I can very confidently tell you that buying from Monoprice doesn't put you at a disadvantage whatsoever.

Actually, I'd just make the suggestion not to jump straight into digital, if you haven't done much drawing yet. How much have you done on paper, or are you just starting out?

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #260 on: December 16, 2014, 01:56:19 AM »
I've done some drawing on paper before but they were all sucky xD, and I didn't feel very comfortable with traditional media. I'm sure I can adapt to digital drawing if I spend time and effort on it.

That said, you guys are right. The Manga Wacom model is pretty expensive and not worth it, so I guess I'll go with the tablet Haku pointed out.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #261 on: December 16, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »
Good digital artists are generally good traditional artists too.  Unless you're talking about finishing a traditional piece, as in like painting or charcoal or watercolour or what not, in which case, yeah, digital drawing is a different media that better suits some more than others. You seem to be talking about just pencil and paper sketching/drawing in general though. But don't give up on those! The skills you develop with paper very much transfers over to the digital realm.

pineyappled

« Reply #262 on: March 15, 2015, 11:03:55 AM »
I replaced my Intuos with a Huion 610 a weekish ago! It's... okay. I wish I could say it matched up with the Wacom on every way, but that's not true lmfao. The drivers are crap (whether or not Photoshop wants to cooperate is a complete shitthrow + manga studio ex 4 just plain doesn't work) and it might be my imagination but it's not as sensitive.

I mean, the price still beats a /new/ Wacom out of the water but you might want to take a look at eBay first.

Also Krita's decent if you don't mind it being buggy and a bit slower than Photoshop. Definitely give that a go if you're looking to try new software.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #263 on: March 15, 2015, 06:08:03 PM »
so, it's me again,

I was wondering what would be better: Huion H420 or Huion 580?

Yes, Huion 580 because I can't purchase H580 or anything beyond that. The 580 model is as far as I can go.

all I know is that the "H" models seems to have some extra buttons or something, but I dunno what they are for.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

KrackoCloud

« Reply #264 on: March 15, 2015, 07:24:19 PM »
I'd choose 580 if I had to choose one of the two. The buttons don't really matter. They're just shortcuts for keyboard commands.

Now I've said this before, but Monoprice models are manufactured by Huion - Like, Huion H610 is even the same tablet as the Monoprice 10594, and Monoprice's is cheaper. So if you haven't yet, I'd suggest checking out Monoprice's tablets, just to compare prices. (The bad drivers and tech support don't change, in case anyone was wondering)

On another note, have you been practicing on traditional since we all last talked on this thread? I would feel a lot better about recommending this stuff to you if I knew you were already solid on the basics of drawing, but we don't exactly know where you are in terms of skill.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #265 on: March 15, 2015, 10:02:49 PM »
I haven't practiced at all those days, sadly  :(  .......... partly because I lack the materials for that, and partly because I've been without inspiration/focusing on other stuff.

But I feel like drawing again now. That's why I'm posting here again. I'm currently reading through websites with art tutorials, comparing each other, etc. But all I'm doing so far is studying the theory. I haven't put anything in practice yet and I can't say for sure how good the result will be.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

pineyappled

« Reply #266 on: March 15, 2015, 10:05:40 PM »
get started then m8

KrackoCloud

« Reply #267 on: March 15, 2015, 11:24:36 PM »
You lack materials? You don't need a tablet or a sketchbook or anything like that, if that's what you're thinking! Just find yourself a stack of scratch paper, an everyday pencil, and a good eraser that doesn't smudge.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #268 on: March 16, 2015, 04:53:51 AM »
I went out around a week ago and bought a 0.2 and 0.4 so I could do some paper drawings while I was sitting on the train. The very next day I managed to lose the 0.4 and I had to take a good look at myself and wonder why I even bother buying pens.
Moral of the story is that materials don't matter, I just use my writing pens now and draw on lined paper.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #269 on: April 03, 2015, 02:07:36 AM »
I had my art classes for some months by now and i think i want to make the jump to digital art. So... i'd get Monoprice over Huion because of money. The 10'' x 6.25'' look the most attractive, but do i need such a screen?
Spoiler:
Why do tech sites use filthy imperial system instead of glorious metric system?

Now for software. I'm considering SAI as it (as per comments) allows good use of color and i want a lot of color. Do your colors have enough saturation? No they don't. But i want to make in format of comic and it seems that SAI isn't the best one (for drawing the panels), preferring Manga Studio, but MS seems to have problems for color. A lot of the...artists i follow on pixiv ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?) use SAI, but their images are single-panel, the one making (monochrome) doujin manga being the one who uses Manga Studio, and he does use SAI for single-panel color drawings. Today i checked that Warugaki (which i don't follow on pixiv) also uses Manga Studio.

Also photoshop is out of discussion. With that price i could buy everything in the two previous paragraphs.