Author Topic: This Season's New Anime thread  (Read 93485 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: This Season's New Anime thread
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2010, 03:29:59 AM »
I think Bakuman could give even Arakawa a run for its money. It's extremely well-written and makes you care actively about the characters.

Ika Musume is just a great, mindless comedy.

SoreMachi though, I still can't get my head around. I like it, but I can see the individual episodes ending up  as stand-alone pieces, rather than there being a story that spans the series.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2010, 08:46:07 AM »
Imageshack > all

Index 2 is off to an average start, at least it has Index in it tho.
I saw Misaka's mom in the opening and I... ehehe~

Bakuman is an okay show imo, don't like the show's direction, makes you think manga drawing is actually a good thing... (real life is a bit sadder)

meanwhile, episode 2 of Hyakka Ryouran and Star driver is out, I can only say one thing: delicious and FABULOUS BISHONEN
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Tengukami

« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2010, 11:21:12 AM »
Bakuman is an okay show imo, don't like the show's direction, makes you think manga drawing is actually a good thing... (real life is a bit sadder)

I don't draw manga, but between the protagonist's speech in episode 1 about how infinitesimally rare it is that someone can make a living as a mangaka, and the tragic story of his uncle's career as a manga artist - which may have ended in suicide - it didn't seem as though they were portraying the life of a manga artist as being particularly desirable.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2010, 11:44:57 AM »
So, is squid ink REALLY used as a marinade/condiment for pasta or other noodle dishes in Japan, or what?

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Tengukami

« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »
Oh god stop, I won't be able to stop laughing again.

"Five more orders!"

Edit: Also, yes, squid ink is apparently a pasta sauce. (Includes hi-res photos so you can make your own, if you're unable to vomit it up yourself.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:47:06 PM by Tsukiko »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »
So, is squid ink REALLY used as a marinade/condiment for pasta or other noodle dishes in Japan, or what?
Here you go.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »
I don't draw manga, but between the protagonist's speech in episode 1 about how infinitesimally rare it is that someone can make a living as a mangaka, and the tragic story of his uncle's career as a manga artist - which may have ended in suicide - it didn't seem as though they were portraying the life of a manga artist as being particularly desirable.
it is the latter parts when it seem to gain some 'comic momentum' that I begun to dislike it.
overall I rather enjoy the insight since book 1 - 3.

Here you go.

to be fair, our Chinese ancestors living along the sea and in fishing villages have always used squid ink in their cooking.
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2010, 01:19:54 PM »
to be fair, our Chinese ancestors living along the sea and in fishing villages have always used squid ink in their cooking.
I know, but I just wanted to find something so I could prove it (even if Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source).  :3

Tengukami

« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2010, 10:12:09 PM »
Episode 2 of Ika Musume is up. Speaking of which ...

I know, but I just wanted to find something so I could prove it (even if Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source).  :3

My source had yummy images :smug:

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2010, 10:38:54 PM »
nobody mentioned fortune arterial which is understandable because generic anime is generic

erika is moe though

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Tengukami

« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2010, 11:27:21 PM »

Also, look, a new character:

A photobug who likes to make Ika Musume model cosplay.

Vanishing Sock Puppet

• Phantasmic Scribbler
  • brb exploding in a black hole
    • The Sock Drawer
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »
Episode 2 of Ika Musume is up. Speaking of which ...

Watching episode 1 made me read the manga. I now have to take insulin and regular doses of aspirin. I don't think I'll survive the second animated episode if they jacked up the cute factor.

Tengukami

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2010, 11:47:42 PM »
Oh it's cute alright. But what I really like is the comedic pacing and timing. There isn't a single wasted moment in this show. It might not be very deep, but it's very good comedy.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2010, 11:50:20 PM »

Also, look, a new character:

A photobug who likes to make Ika Musume model cosplay.
This episode wa a lot more amusing then the first in my opinion.

Reddyne

« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2010, 12:29:44 AM »
This episode wa a lot more amusing then the first in my opinion.
Welp, I'm boned.

Current locks for this season are Arakawa, Ika Musume, and SoreMachi. Ah, an average season of comforting entertainment with a focus on comedy. Still up for changes as things progress and others are dropped/added. I still have to polish off Lovely Complex, though, and I picked the worst time to stop.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2010, 12:38:03 AM »
Welp, I'm boned.

Current locks for this season are Arakawa, Ika Musume, and SoreMachi. Ah, an average season of comforting entertainment with a focus on comedy. Still up for changes as things progress and others are dropped/added. I still have to polish off Lovely Complex, though, and I picked the worst time to stop.
I take it this season is busy for you anime-wise?

Its busy for me too.  I picked up nine new series and I've got four ongoing ones that are still chugging along with new episodes.

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2010, 12:38:41 AM »

Reddyne

« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2010, 03:17:05 AM »
I take it this season is busy for you anime-wise?

Its busy for me too.  I picked up nine new series and I've got four ongoing ones that are still chugging along with new episodes.
Well, 3 series are guaranteed watches for several weeks, plus a few that can stay or go. Hence, I've enough to keep me busy. I rarely follow more than 5 at any given time since I forget names, minor plot points, etc. rather quickly for any series I don't focus too much on. One episode a day is enough. It's also the way I prefer to end the day, especially if it is a dramatic series.
Avvy
So NOW I can finally recognize where that comes from.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »
Fortune Arterial: so generic.

Yosuga no Sora: actually not so generic but being rated as such.

Ore no Imouto: annoying male VA is annoying.

Vanishing Sock Puppet

• Phantasmic Scribbler
  • brb exploding in a black hole
    • The Sock Drawer
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
Watched the second episode of Squid Girl, they're burning through manga chapters like gasoline soaked newspaper. They used at least five in episode two. I think the third segment wasn't as funny as It could have been, honestly, it focused a bit too much on how Ika is...though I honestly can't blame them much.

I've even been hearing rumors that she's going to be a SaiMoe contestant next year.

« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2010, 09:17:19 PM »
Watched the second episode of Squid Girl, they're burning through manga chapters like gasoline soaked newspaper. They used at least five in episode two. I think the third segment wasn't as funny as It could have been, honestly, it focused a bit too much on how Ika is...though I honestly can't blame them much.

I've even been hearing rumors that she's going to be a SaiMoe contestant next year.
Not like it matters cause Mio's gonna win anyways I CAN FEEL IT IN MAH BONES

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2010, 12:10:16 AM »
Well, I'm not sure if it's a "new" anime or not, but I've been thinking of watching Ouran Highschool Hostclub after finishing K-ON!!
Is it really as good as my friends say it is?
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
Well, I'm not sure if it's a "new" anime or not, but I've been thinking of watching Ouran Highschool Hostclub after finishing K-ON!!
Define "good"

Drake

« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2010, 12:26:03 AM »
new
Manga: September 2002 ? November 2010
Anime: April 4, 2006 ? September 26, 2006

good
Define "good"

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2010, 12:27:34 AM »

To answer your question without snark, I'd recommend checking out a couple episodes on a streaming site before downloading. I thought it had its moments, but my 11-year-old cousin loves it.

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2010, 12:36:03 AM »
To answer your question without snark, I'd recommend checking out a couple episodes on a streaming site before downloading. I thought it had its moments, but my 11-year-old cousin loves it.
I just finished watching episode 1 on YouTube. Loving it as much as I loved K-ON!!
Also, I don't download my anime because there are already a lot of MMOs installed on my computer now.
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

Tengukami

« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2010, 12:54:07 AM »
Did I say "download"? I'm sorry, I meant "buy the DVD".

jigglyppuff8

• Speed Anime Trance 8
  • Alco Dolce
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2010, 01:19:31 AM »
OreImo makes me feel bad for being me. ;;

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2010, 03:05:48 AM »
No problem: Oreimo is designed to make you feel that way.
I see you dropped it lol

HOLY SHIT SUPER ROBOT WARS OG, it is fucking awesome.
SO MANY GIRL
SO MANY ROBOTS
oh yeah.

Tengukami

« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2010, 01:10:30 AM »

I'm starting to wonder about Arakawa. What made Season 1 so great wasn't just the surreal comedy, but the ongoing story about an ultra-conformist dealing with his father issues, rejecting (however reluctantly) the rigid societal pyramid he was brought up in, and learning to rely on others. So far in Season 2, no real story is emerging. I still enjoy the bizarre comic antics and all. I just hope a plot of some kind emerges.