Author Topic: [Music+Art] Making Melody Needs Love! Battle's Palette (OC Theme) (2/22/12)  (Read 190084 times)

Dark

• wait wat
  • this is some text
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love!
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2011, 12:47:02 AM »
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25978520/biri.mp3

There's my version, with proper double loop.

« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2011, 01:10:06 AM »
What synths did you use for the above link? It sounds a lot cleaner. XD

It's raw Hyper Canvas, you know, that GM2 VSTi that sounds exactly like that DXi that gets talked about so much around here. (TTS-1)

I can hear some clipping there. You might have recorded at too high a level.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:49:06 AM by Master Bigode the asdf »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2011, 01:48:41 AM »
It's raw Hyper Canvas, you know, that GM2 VSTi that sounds exactly like that DXi that gets talked about so much around here. (TTS-1)
Only because Spaztique and I use said DXi (though I have Hyper Canvas as well). :V
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Anunsew

• No errors for 5 seconds!
  • Currently fueled by Infinite Love!
« Reply #213 on: July 09, 2011, 12:38:30 AM »

There's a significant level difference between the Leads and Sawtooth chord. And I noticed that the drum samples weren't seperated during mixing. It's not really necessary, but it allows you to EQ and compress the kicks and snares seperately from the metal accents.

Otherwise, it sounds like something I'd see from a game a decade ago. Ahh, nostalgia~ XD

Game music should release more retro music more often.

I just realized that I am using a VERY outdated version of Firefox.
*points at Bigode and The_EP's ver. 5.0 and DM's ver 6.0a2
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:43:17 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

Anunsew

[Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love!~ (Youtube Update 7/15/11)!
« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2011, 04:38:47 AM »
[西方 Arrange] Witches' Ball ~ Magus

Decided to fix up my earlier arrange of Witches' Ball and upload it to Youtube.

An attempt to rearrange the MIDI of a usually forgotten theme of Marisa from Seihou Shuusou Gyoku (秋霜玉). I tried to use instruments that a ball would use, so I needed violins, cellos and lots of other strings. Surprisingly, THInst.sf2's violin and viola are pretty good if you take the time to do some minor fixes~

I don't know if a harpsichord is acceptable though. Oh well.

So it turned out like a a twisted festival theme, or something. Should I be happy about it? :P

Agh. I need more practice. I wish I can stretch time or something.

My dream is to develop a shmup that is as fast-paced as SSG.
It's still a long way to go. >.<
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:43:56 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love!~ (Youtube Update 7/15/11)!
« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2011, 02:01:52 PM »
Hm, good arrange!

I don't really like the cello and the string ensemble patches, though I'm pickier about these, owing to former violin experience.
Violin is pretty good for a GM2-fitting SF2, however. Could be stronger.

Not too fond of the background piano. Too watery - is it a honky-tonk by chance?. Liked the harpsichord for some reason, but of course it was very MIDI-ish.

Drums don't seem to fit - it sounds between a brush kit and power kit...I think a room kit would better match.

It seems you're getting a great grip on THFont...I think now's a great time to start contemplating moving up to hardware synths for primary work.
I recently got an Edirol SD-20 (small mobile cousin of the notorious SD-90) for quite cheap (in N. America a few pop up here and there for US$20-40, a much cheaper bargain than the ~US$200 from Japanese sellers), and love the device
Software synths are good too, but those ask for a more powerful CPU (often a quad-core for the top-level stuff) and lots (8GB+) of RAM, plus a 64-bit DAW if you're using so many of them that the 4GB RAM limit of 32-bit apps isn't enough. Plus most of them seem to be geared for specific instrument sets (string pack, piano pack, etc.) rather than having a GM2/GS/XG map.
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2011, 01:23:47 AM »
I don't really like the cello and the string ensemble patches, though I'm pickier about these, owing to former violin experience.
Violin is pretty good for a GM2-fitting SF2, however. Could be stronger.
Thanks, I'm trying to improve on that. I haven't really EQ'd them well so I guess it's still shaky.
So you're a violin player...

<sorry, that was out of topic>
Not too fond of the background piano. Too watery - is it a honky-tonk by chance?. Liked the harpsichord for some reason, but of course it was very MIDI-ish.
Funnily, they're both Hyper Canvas VST (routed via FL's Midi Out plugin). The watery piano is the Bright Acoustic Piano Patch (Bank 00) set at around 40 Rvb and 70~ish Chr.
The other one is the Harpsichord Patch from the same VST, using the same settings with no Chr.

Yeah, I still haven't gotten the hang of Hyper Canvas. :(

Drums don't seem to fit - it sounds between a brush kit and power kit...I think a room kit would better match.
The drum is from THDrums Room patches (snare being the Electric Snare sample, not the Acoustic). Accents are from Hyper Canvas Room Patch. Mixing the Brush patch (in THDrum, haven't tried HC's brush yet) is kind of hard so I've never used it.

I was trying to emulate the drums from Chikayo Fukuda's Double Prayer

I wanted it to sound a little disembodied, but it kinda went off. >.<

For reference, here's the same track without the strings, cellos, violas, and violins. That leaves the Drums(HC+TH), Bass, Steel Guitar, Harpsichord(HC), Piano(HC) and flutes with their individual parts.
Witches' Ball Skeleton
Yeah, weird naming conventions lead to misunderstanding.

It seems you're getting a great grip on THFont...I think now's a great time to start contemplating moving up to hardware synths for primary work.
I recently got an Edirol SD-20 (small mobile cousin of the notorious SD-90) for quite cheap (in N. America a few pop up here and there for US$20-40, a much cheaper bargain than the ~US$200 from Japanese sellers), and love the device
SoundMAX drivers don't support Midi I/O. (*insert random sounds of disapproval here*)
I'm stuck with soft synths.

Software synths are good too, but those ask for a more powerful CPU (often a quad-core for the top-level stuff) and lots (8GB+) of RAM, plus a 64-bit DAW if you're using so many of them that the 4GB RAM limit of 32-bit apps isn't enough. Plus most of them seem to be geared for specific instrument sets (string pack, piano pack, etc.) rather than having a GM2/GS/XG map.
My PC is a Pentium 4 2.28GHz equipped with a 512 RAM + 1.5GB Virtual Memory in a 32-bit WinXP SP2.
It was built by HP specifically for DBMS and DBMS development. It has outlived it's life expectancy of 3 years and is currently retired in my home after 7 years of hard labor and service.

So basically, you have an idea of what my mix sounds like when I haven't exported it yet. :P
Funnily, I've never gone over 400MB in RAM usage. My only problem is soundcard buffering which can range from 'Stormtroopers are dow*ksssh*'  to 'oh crap wat am i hearing'.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:30:40 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2011, 02:06:14 AM »
Hyper Canvas/SD-XX pianos are universally considered pretty bad. If you can find it, try Super Quartet. Its pianos are not "OMG THIS SHIT SOUNDS SO REAL"-tier either, but as a whole it pretty much obsoletes the acoustic pianos, guitars and basses from both HC and the SD-90.

SoundMAX drivers don't support Midi I/O. (*insert random sounds of disapproval here*)

Both SD-90 and 80 only require USB inputs for MIDI and audio. I'm pretty sure the SD-20 is like that too.

Anunsew

Bet on Death Midi~
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2011, 02:07:07 AM »
Both SD-90 and 80 only require USB inputs for MIDI and audio. I'm pretty sure the SD-20 is like that too.

Now that sounds more hopeful. :D
Thanks for sharing~

On another note, I found a Midi file in my drive which I have not accounted for.
Bet on Death.mid
Best when Microsoft GS Wavetable is not used.

It's a rather forgotten theme from a forgotten non-loli boss. Oh well.
I did not make this midi btw. Probably gotten it somewhere, but I forgot. Posting it here just in case anybody wants it.

I might remix it if I get around to it. XD

Another thing:
Complete Darkness
This was a midi (converted to mp3)  file I've found sometime ago, played through my soundcard's midi driver.

Crap, the beginning sounds so Alice.

It sounds like a from a fake SNES emulator. >.<
PC-98 chiptunes sound so much better IMHO. ~_~
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:07:25 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2011, 03:11:43 AM »
The Bet on Death MIDI is the original SoEW MIDI fixed to loop correctly when not played by the game.
Here's the complete, unmodified OST: http://www.mediafire.com/?19pda1e0tlgpvph

Anunsew

« Reply #220 on: July 16, 2011, 03:37:00 AM »
The Bet on Death MIDI is the original SoEW MIDI fixed to loop correctly when not played by the game.
Here's the complete, unmodified OST: http://www.mediafire.com/?19pda1e0tlgpvph
Thanks again for the link. :3
Hoh, the original version's layout of Bet on Death reminded me of  how Doll Judgement's midi is 15mins long. :P

In any case, isn't SoEW the only PC98 game that had midi tracks, or did the others have them too?

On the Zip file.
So THIS is where my Complete Darkness Midi came from. :3

Spriting is frustrating. IT'S FRUSTRATING.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:55:58 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

Dark

• wait wat
  • this is some text
Re: Bet on Death Midi~
« Reply #221 on: July 16, 2011, 03:52:30 AM »
Another thing:
Complete Darkness
This was a midi (converted to mp3)  file I've found sometime ago, played through my soundcard's midi driver.

Crap, the beginning sounds so Alice.

It sounds like a from a fake SNES emulator. >.<
PC-98 chiptunes sound so much better IMHO. ~_~

midi

now

(if you have it)

this song is made of pure awesome.

Anunsew

« Reply #222 on: July 16, 2011, 04:00:52 AM »
It's in the ZIP file from Bigode's link.
It's MIMA.mid.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:03:06 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

« Reply #223 on: July 16, 2011, 04:25:30 AM »
In any case, isn't SoEW the only PC98 game that had midi tracks, or did the others have them too?

Yes, SoEW is the only game out of the PC-98 games to have official MIDI versions of the songs. But there's a tool that converts PMD FM files to RCP, which in turn can be converted to MIDI. Here's everything you need:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0madaqvznvkko5e

Just run CVRCP through a command prompt and you should be able to figure everything out by yourself. Be aware that it cannot convert the following FM parameters into MIDI:

-Drums
-Volume
-Expression (volume of individual channels)
-Stereo panning
-Tempo changes
-Tuning

Additionally, program changes are based on ZUN's FM program numbers (non GM), and the tempo is always off.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the you must change the .M2 file extensions to .M . (in LLS and MS, the .M2 files are the YM2608 versions of the songs, aka better. SoEW and PoDD don't have YM2203 versions of the songs)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #224 on: July 16, 2011, 06:39:43 AM »
Delayed response time go!

<sorry, that was out of topic>Funnily, they're both Hyper Canvas VST (routed via FL's Midi Out plugin). The watery piano is the Bright Acoustic Piano Patch (Bank 00) set at around 40 Rvb and 70~ish Chr.
The other one is the Harpsichord Patch from the same VST, using the same settings with no Chr.
Ah.  Must've been a little too much chorus.
I find the Piano 1 St. patch a bit better for general use. It's also quite flexible when the patch is modified. Same for the Orchestra patch (which, if you see the TTS-1 thread, Spaztique and I have used gratuitously).

Hyper Canvas/SD-XX pianos are universally considered pretty bad. If you can find it, try Super Quartet. Its pianos are not "OMG THIS SHIT SOUNDS SO REAL"-tier either, but as a whole it pretty much obsoletes the acoustic pianos, guitars and basses from both HC and the SD-90.

None of my soundcards have MIDI ports either.
Super Quartet's stuff sounds quite good, as does Orchestral. Still not real, but it does better.
Most newer synthesizers and modules (1999 and later) support USB, and the SD-20 supports MIDI via USB (haven't tested audio yet via USB alone - looking at manual for that). Also it can be powered through the USB bus, but if you try to loop audio into input via line-in cable you will get lots of electric current feedback noise unless you use an AC adapter.
EDIT: SD-20 does NOT support both MIDI and audio input via USB, probably due to its ability to use the USB bus for power instead. Putting a 9V DC adapter did not help.
Looking at their manuals, the SC-8820 and MU-500 (maybe even SC-8850 and MU-2000EX as well) do not support said feature either, though SC-D70 (a larger audio-oriented SC-8820 clone which came later - they're quite common on eBay and run for ~US$250-300 from Japanese sellers) does. :(

My PC is a Pentium 4 2.28GHz equipped with a 512 RAM + 1.5GB Virtual Memory in a 32-bit WinXP SP2.
It was built by HP specifically for DBMS and DBMS development. It has outlived it's life expectancy of 3 years and is currently retired in my home after 7 years of hard labor and service.
I'd say it's time to upgrade, unless you use softsynths that require XP/2k3 or older (S-YXG50, VSC, WinGroove, etc.).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:16:15 PM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

Endarkened Fury
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2011, 12:37:45 AM »
Endarkened Fury
GM Midi (MSWT) and XG-soundset midi version

Here is my submission for DM's other request...though I wasn't able to add a nod to the SA Stage 5 theme as he wanted. On the other hand, it kinda sounds like ZUN's Sacred Battle from Torte le Magic. (Though personally, Witch of Love Potion is better for me, but is hard to apply for this theme) :P

I maybe went overboard with some dissonant chords and sequences, but I guess it adds to the ominous feeling of the track. It's also bit short, just a little over the minute for 1 loop. It's really hard to compose originals...I wonder how the heck ZUN pulls out his riffs? I wish I had continued practicing my piano since I was eight. :P

Gah, I wish for moar musical knowledge...

On the other hand, I'm trying to learn how to use SynthMaker that comes with FL Studio.
Trying to incorporate programming and music is kind of weird though. XD

Hooray for weirdness!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:40:07 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love!~ (Weird Update 7/23/11)!
« Reply #226 on: July 24, 2011, 03:46:53 AM »
I'm no good at explaining my musical thoughts, but here I go anyway.
The part at 00:39~00:57 sounds too much like the main part (00:58~1:24) instrument-wise. I think it steals some of the power that the main part could have.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #227 on: July 24, 2011, 04:23:29 PM »
Ehe, it has a bit of a 16-bit era feel. Lovely.

I agree with Bigode that 00:58's melody instrument sounds too similar to that in 00:39.

I don't really like the background square wave. Too much resonance.

I maybe went overboard with some dissonant chords and sequences, but I guess it adds to the ominous feeling of the track. It's also bit short, just a little over the minute for 1 loop.
Ominous...eh, lively again. They ended up distracting a little bit, alas.

It's really hard to compose originals...I wonder how the heck ZUN pulls out his riffs? I wish I had continued practicing my piano since I was eight. :P
The one answer - beer. Lots and lots and LOTS of beer. (unconfirmed)
The rest - Cubase, SD-90, Virtual Guitarist, Groove Agent, MIDI controller keyboard maybe - are just secondary.

Kinda wish I could easily test this theory now, but *residence's drinking law idiocy* ;-;.

On the other hand, I'm trying to learn how to use SynthMaker that comes with FL Studio.
Trying to incorporate programming and music is kind of weird though. XD
Using SynthMaker, I see...FM synthesis simulation, I guess?
I'm playing around with the MIDI version in Logic for fun as well. Trying to learn ES2 (synth unit) and EFM1 (FM synth) while I'm at it.
I find it fun to adjust parameters until I get the desired sound, whether it be FM synths, MIDI units, full-fledged symphonic AUs/VSTs....

Oh, and for synth sounds I recommend the Synth1 and SuperWaveP8 VSTis. Both are free and quite powerful.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:08:21 PM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #228 on: July 25, 2011, 01:42:48 AM »
Thanks for the comments! They are my best source of information on how to improve at the moment. :P

Lively again, huh. I guess I could try cutting on my coffee. >.<
I just can't seem to get into proper character.

Also, I have to learn the basics of instrument variation. :(

Quote from: PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH
The one answer - beer. Lots and lots and LOTS of beer. (unconfirmed)
I don't drink alcohol. (Non-drinkers are rare in my country, where minors as young as 12 years can obtain drinks from the local sari-sari store. Hooray.) :(

On a happier note though, my country is quite proud of its beer.

Anunsew

Eye of Painful Death--Remastering my old stuff...eh, what?
« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2011, 01:59:08 AM »
Eye of Painful Death (Remaster)

For fun, I tried to remaster an old composition of mine which I released in last year's Tanabata~

Holy crap, my old version clips like there's no tomorrow. >.<

Anyway, in the technical level they have big differences:
The old version:
  • All channels are routed to a single master mixer (because I didn't know what they were back then)
  • All channels have been levelled using only panning and volume control (because I didn't know what compressors and limiters are for)
  • All channels are unEQ'd THFont (because I didn't know...you're getting the drift, aren't you?)
  • Finally, the rendered audio track has been envelop'd using Audacity (yay!...okay, not really the most efficient tool for audio enveloping. But hey, using Audacity is manly)

While the new one applies all more prior knowledge in mixing. Plus, I edited some instruments and dropped some counter melodies, and added some. Also, I tried doing a little saturation effect on the drums, to make the track sound less synth-y.

This piece brings back memories. I composed this while renting in a netcafe...

As for Shiku, I need to draw her someday... >.<
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:04:49 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2011, 03:09:27 AM »
Thanks for the comments! They are my best source of information on how to improve at the moment. :P

Lively again, huh. I guess I could try cutting on my coffee. >.<
I just can't seem to get into proper character.

Also, I have to learn the basics of instrument variation. :(
Ehe, no problem with the comments!
For relaxing stuff, tea helps. :V

Instrument variation...well, I find it more important to do so in the melody. It does get tiring to hear the same tones repeated over and over again, and given how most catch on the melody bit first, this will become quite obvious. Alternating the tones (even between the same instrument) assists greatly to keep listeners' auditory interest.

I don't drink alcohol. (Non-drinkers are rare in my country, where minors as young as 12 years can obtain drinks from the local sari-sari store. Hooray.) :(

On a happier note though, my country is quite proud of its beer.
* EP looks at Anunsew's YT profile and location
Why am I not surprised about that fact? (haven't been there BTW, but I've heard silly stories from others in the area)
No intent to try the beer yet though. I'll stick with the German, Belgian, Dutch, Korean, and Japanese ones, thanks.

Eye of Painful Death (Remaster)

For fun, I tried to remaster an old composition of mine which I released in last year's Tanabata~

Holy crap, my old version clips like there's no tomorrow. >.<

Anyway, in the technical level they have big differences:
The old version:
  • All channels are routed to a single master mixer (because I didn't know what they were back then)
  • All channels have been levelled using only panning and volume control (because I didn't know what compressors and limiters are for)
  • All channels are unEQ'd THFont (because I didn't know...you're getting the drift, aren't you?)
  • Finally, the rendered audio track has been envelop'd using Audacity (yay!...okay, not really the most efficient tool for audio enveloping. But hey, using Audacity is manly)

While the new one applies all more prior knowledge in mixing. Plus, I edited some instruments and dropped some counter melodies, and added some. Also, I tried doing a little saturation effect on the drums, to make the track sound less synth-y.
Hm, big improvement! Also sounds more lively, hooray reverb!
Instruments are starting to sit in positions. It's easier to hear each part.

Criticism time!
 - Melodies' instrumentations have a bit too much similarity. Try splitting them into other instruments. I prefer using unused MIDI channels for this with alternate patches. Given that you're using VSTis and SF2s, you should easily be able to invoke additional instances if needed, provided the system can handle it.
 - I find drums still too quiet. Though that may be my own perception.
 - That wavy legato square wave is going a bit too crazy - adjust phase settings and/or portamento.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:11:52 AM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

Meditations and revelations...
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2011, 06:01:26 AM »
Ehe, no problem with the comments!
For relaxing stuff, tea helps. :V
Tea...except I like black tea that makes me giddy. >.<

Instrument variation...
Hmm, never really tried that before--but since ZUN often uses that technique, I might study it.

* EP looks at Anunsew's YT profile and location
Why am I not surprised about that fact?
Because online Filipinos are either spammers/trolls/lurkers. I usually belong to the last group. :D

Hm, big improvement! Also sounds more lively, hooray reverb!
Instruments are starting to sit in positions. It's easier to hear each part.
I just realized something that has been my main weakness for all time.
I usually mix five or more instruments (lol) all playing different lines at the same time. It makes EQ'ing nearly impossible since I will use have to occupy all the freqs to avoid masking. But it will still mask, cause each track uses a lot of freqs (imagine: melody, counter-point, counter-counter point, fast bassline, bass tremolo, bass, chords, drums all playing at the same time. Also, there are usually more than one instrument doing the same lines when I compose them).
SO technically speaking, I have no mixing problem...I have a tracking problem. >.<

I realized it after listening to one of my old pieces called Different Shades of Autumn . It always bugged me that I haven't been able to replicate the same quality on my later works, then I realized that I tracked this song without exceeding five instruments playing at the same time.

I did a quick check on some ZUN midis and confirmed my suspicion that my problem doesn't lie in the mixing phase. SOOOooo~ I have to do a revamp on my piano roll tracking on my future works. :3

Crap. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. >.<

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: Meditations and revelations...
« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
Tea...except I like black tea that makes me giddy. >.<
Eastern tea (Chinese, Korean, Japanese) does the trick.

Hmm, never really tried that before--but since ZUN often uses that technique, I might study it.
ZUN also uses a lot of instrument layering, which can be very useful when trying to complement various instruments' frequencies. Try looking into that as well.

I just realized something that has been my main weakness for all time.
I usually mix five or more instruments (lol) all playing different lines at the same time. It makes EQ'ing nearly impossible since I will use have to occupy all the freqs to avoid masking. But it will still mask, cause each track uses a lot of freqs (imagine: melody, counter-point, counter-counter point, fast bassline, bass tremolo, bass, chords, drums all playing at the same time. Also, there are usually more than one instrument doing the same lines when I compose them).
SO technically speaking, I have no mixing problem...I have a tracking problem. >.<
Ah!
What most do is to put each part and instrument in separate tracks rather than have instruments go all over the part/frequency spectrum. So instead of having a few instruments do multiple parts split them so each gets its own track and part.
Also for multi-instrument layered parts, well, try to mix them one instrument at a time and adjust depending on which instrument's sounds you prefer.

I did a quick check on some ZUN midis and confirmed my suspicion that my problem doesn't lie in the mixing phase. SOOOooo~ I have to do a revamp on my piano roll tracking on my future works. :3
Good thinking. Try to split your tracks by part and instrument so we don't see tracks that go all over the spectrum that are hard to mix.
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

Meh.
« Reply #233 on: August 03, 2011, 02:37:40 AM »
Last Remote

Yay, a remix~

Gah, I'm so uninspired lately.
I WANNA LIE DOWN AND SLEEP FOR A WHOLE MONTH!~
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:46:47 AM by Anunsew ng Sampaguita »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: Meh.
« Reply #234 on: August 03, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
Last Remote

Yay, a remix~

Not a bad remix.

I'd suggest more global reverb, but not too much. Also a counter-melody would be nice, preferably with a different rhythm of notes. It seems a bit dead with just melody, harmony parts, bass, and drums...speaking of which, a little more rhythm variety would be nice too.
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love!~ (Last Remote Remix 8/03/11)!
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2011, 12:22:26 AM »
Not a bad remix.

I'd suggest more global reverb, but not too much. Also a counter-melody would be nice, preferably with a different rhythm of notes. It seems a bit dead with just melody, harmony parts, bass, and drums...speaking of which, a little more rhythm variety would be nice too.

Maybe I should've added some dist.guitar rhythm parts, like how ZUN did it in TH11~TH12, or like Younha. :P
Finally, something I can improve upon. XD

By global rvb, you mean like adding rvb on the Master bus or something?
Won't it sound bad if I do that? Different frequencies are gonna be echoing all around the place--I think it's better to add them individually in each track instead, before the EQ.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:27:31 AM by Anunsew ng Sampaguita »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love!~ (Last Remote Remix 8/03/11)!
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2011, 12:35:39 AM »
By global rvb, you mean like adding rvb on the Master bus or something?
Won't it sound bad if I do that? Different frequencies are gonna be echoing all around the place--I think it's better to add them individually in each track instead, before the EQ.
Not exactly. That wouldn't sound too good :V
Each track should get its own reverb and adjusted as needed.
Bad command or file name

Re: Meh.
« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2011, 01:34:45 AM »
Last Remote

Yay, a remix~

That's nice, but 2 things bothered me while listening to it.

First, the center area of the mix feels empty. It's as if there was nothing panned anywhere near the center. This could be fixed quite easily by using a string section or a pad.

Second, the trumpet feels lonely. If you listen to ZUN's compositions closely, you might notice that there's always something backing its melody up. It's generally either another trumpet, a saw wave or a brass section.  Experiment ! Much of ZUN's trumpet magic comes from him using 2 trumpets playing different notes at once.

Anunsew

~_~
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2011, 02:17:15 AM »
First, the center area of the mix feels empty. It's as if there was nothing panned anywhere near the center. This could be fixed quite easily by using a string section or a pad.

I knew I forgot something.  :o
I spent so much time on the bass, percussions and melodies that I forgot to put some attention to the chord pads. >.<

Second, the trumpet feels lonely. If you listen to ZUN's compositions closely, you might notice that there's always something backing its melody up. It's generally either another trumpet, a saw wave or a brass section.  Experiment ! Much of ZUN's trumpet magic comes from him using 2 trumpets playing different notes at once.

You mean harmonics? I'm not quite experienced with harmonics so I'm still playing it safe right now.  I'll try going a bit outside of my safe zone in my next track.

What I usually do though is put a string backer on the trumpets, but they usually play the same notes at different octaves.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:23:02 AM by Anunsew ng Sampaguita »

Re: ~_~
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2011, 02:35:33 AM »
You mean harmonics? I'm not quite experienced with harmonics so I'm still playing it safe right now.  I'll try going a bit outside of my safe zone in my next track.

What I usually do though is put a string backer on the trumpets, but they usually play the same notes at different octaves.

I don't know the English word for what I mean.  It's ehh... "having a instrument play a simplified version of the lead melody, but a octave or 2 lower". I think it's called a countermelody.