Author Topic: Touhou Fighting Games Thread II  (Read 6838 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Touhou Fighting Games Thread II
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:53:56 AM »
Other topic reached its limit, so here's a new one. Previous thread.

So yeah, post here for all things related to IaMP, SWR, and Hisoutensoku. I've recently been getting back into Soku myself, and after discovering the Soku Lobby I can actually enjoy relatively lag-free matches. It may still be in its beta stages, but how many of you here have tried it out?

EDIT: Dammit, ninja'd. Mods, do your thing.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:59:48 AM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
Re: Touhou Fighting Games Thread II
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 01:08:05 AM »
I personally do not find SWR story mode appealing at all (all you have to do is graze back and forth during spellcards and then spam Narrow Sparks), yet I decided to give Lunatic a go.

Everything was going nicely (since I only had to spam Narrow Sparks and Devildom Torches with Marisa), but Tenshi annihilated me with at the end with Scarlet Weather Rhapsody of All Humankind. It was a failure. An epic failiure. :3.

How can I capture her last spellcard? It seems impossible thanks to her last phase which involves her spamming tiny Scarlet Weather Raptures everywhere. How do? ;-;

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 01:20:40 AM »
Lol story mode. Never tried to beat that. I just play the fighting games for netplay fun :P

Also, I'm finally free, but only way to play is through Hamachi for me :( So if anyone's up for a few rounds hook me up

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:50:04 AM »
Somebody really needs to make a Story Mode spellcard strategy.
Them spellcards piss me off with spam.

EDIT: If anyone wants to play soku with me then they're welcome too :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:25:10 AM by J.O.B »

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 02:28:41 AM »
Yeah, some of em are just pure cheese.
Doppler Effect comes to mind, as well as Scarlet Weather Rapture -Normal-
Lasers knock you into other lasers that just finished warming up
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

J.O.B

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:30:22 AM »
At least they're not as bad as Hyperactive Flying Object from IaMP.
No high damage spellcards and your dead.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:34:53 AM by J.O.B »

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 03:18:16 AM »
At least they're not as bad as Hyperactive Flying Object from IaMP.
This.

More reason to say "DAMMIT, YUKARI!"

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

NEETori

• Using my Extending Arms to steal donations.
  • TECHNOLOGY!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 05:13:06 AM »
I find a lot of Yukari's story mode spellcards to be bullshit.
Oh and Reimu's first card in SWR.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 05:37:11 AM »
> mfw  beat SWR lunatic mode on Suika no lives lost

Shit was easy.

Also, with regard to AI as was mentioned in the last thread, look for SokuAI. They range from being not-half-bad to OMFG KICK YOUR ASS RAAAAAAGE. Not really; you can still gimp the strongest ones (Reimu and Remilia) if you learn their habits

Also, the lobby is mostly placebo, says people who're all better than me at the game. The problem is that dotmaiku is pretty much too lazy to actually make a caster, which would be of actual benefit to the community, and instead insists on this... upposed-to-be IRC substitute he hopes will serve as a be-all end-all foreign community solution.

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 07:07:31 AM »
in any case, if any of you want to play IaMP, feel free to pm me on forums or better, pm me on irc.ppirc.net.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

J.O.B

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 10:01:45 AM »
OMG YAY IaMP PLAYER :D
Finally i found someone.

RoyKr

• Gay for Wriggle
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 11:53:34 AM »
Also, with regard to AI as was mentioned in the last thread, look for SokuAI. They range from being not-half-bad to OMFG KICK YOUR ASS RAAAAAAGE. Not really; you can still gimp the strongest ones (Reimu and Remilia) if you learn their habits
Looks like there are still a lot of compatibility issues. Thanks for the tip though.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 12:54:54 PM »
Also, the lobby is mostly placebo, says people who're all better than me at the game. The problem is that dotmaiku is pretty much too lazy to actually make a caster, which would be of actual benefit to the community, and instead insists on this... upposed-to-be IRC substitute he hopes will serve as a be-all end-all foreign community solution.
EDIT: I looked into dotMaiku's blog, and apparently everyone keeps calling the lobby a caster. Enlighten me, is this somehow not one?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:28:44 PM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

J.O.B

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »
Actually screw HFO, Djiin Gust and Double Pain are Fucking Assholes when it comes to spam.
Honourable mention to Spear the Gungnir and Demons Cradle.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »
At least they're not as bad as Flying Mysterious Shrine Maiden from IaMP.

fixed  :trollface:

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
OMG YAY IaMP PLAYER :D
Finally i found someone.
#iamp on irc.mizuumi.net also has quite a good number of people who play.

J.O.B

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 02:22:37 PM »
I never saw anybody there.
EDIT: Lol now i see people.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:24:55 PM by J.O.B »

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 10:38:52 AM »
Went against my friend Patchouli vs. Patchouli.
The opponent Patchouli had something like 2.7 orbs left, so I used Royal Flare.
That Patchouli grazed the whole thing without getting hit.
Turned out that Patchouli has more spirit regeneration compared to other characters.
It was one of the most awesome ways to miss a 5-cost card.

By the way, how much does netplay lag?
Signature

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »
EDIT: I looked into dotMaiku's blog, and apparently everyone keeps calling the lobby a caster. Enlighten me, is this somehow not one?

While there isn't a concrete definition on what a "caster" is, to my understanding, and to dotMaiku's, it's a lobby, not a caster. I would say a caster introduces its own netcode entirely, but the only casters I've experienced were CowCaster and RollCaster (both of which are godly and IaMP-related). The Rollcaster is like... PIKJEWDRTIKJLERTPIHN. Cowcaster, not so much. But even if a cowcaster sort of thing were implemented for Soku, it would be plenty in the way of a better experience.

=======

Regarding Royal Flare: Two orbs or lower. Play it safe.

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 04:26:09 PM »
what do you guys think about making another thread (maybe even a sticky one) aimed for listing IaMP/SWR/Soku players so that we can make matches more easily on irc (see the people listed on the topic, check their region, go to #shrinemaiden or #touhou-meido, maybe, pm the person and then play.. maybe we would need more irc channels for this purpose)? (because obviously "go to #iamp at irc.mizuumi.net" or its SWR/Soku counterpart on rizon won't work for the people on this forum..)
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »
what do you guys think about making another thread (maybe even a sticky one) aimed for listing IaMP/SWR/Soku players so that we can make matches more easily on irc (see the people listed on the topic, check their region, go to #shrinemaiden or #touhou-meido, maybe, pm the person and then play.
Sounds fun =3.  I think the board has enough stickies though (8/20 first page topics), so it might be better to just link to it from the first post of this topic.

(because obviously "go to #iamp at irc.mizuumi.net" or its SWR/Soku counterpart on rizon won't work for the people on this forum..)
Why not? o_O
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:56:20 PM by chirpy13 »

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 04:48:11 PM »
I can do this right now, if we're going through with it.
Edit: It's been moved to HME.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:21:12 PM by XephyrEnigma »
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 05:03:35 PM »
Why not? o_O

because it's understandable that people may be too afraid or expecting to be "steamrolled" or being certain about it, by more experienced players. My idea was to somehow try to facilitate match making for people of similar skill levels, which newcomers are more likely to participate. (personally I don't know how things happens on #hisouten on rizon, but normally, people at #iamp on mizuumi are already familiar with other fighting games and so, fighting game jargons may confuse newcomers.. and the jokes, which aren't meant to be taken seriously but happen often on arcade centers, may sound offensive to newcomers too)

My thoughts came from my questioning about what makes people become too afraid to try to play (you know..) IaMP with other people :p
Translations.

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 05:16:48 PM »
But that butthurt and misinterpretation of what's being said is the fault of the new people who seem to have no sense of humor whatsoever, and even then, people on IRC aren't all like that. It really depends on where you go. I can't imagine #hisouten being anything but that, whereas Mizuumi would be a mixed bag depending on who you talk to and what mindset they're in at the time. That's how I feel about it, at least, and to be fair, I haven't been in #hiso in a while, so things might be different.