Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments - Twelfth Desire  (Read 207218 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Touhou Accomplishments - Twelfth Desire
« Reply #840 on: October 21, 2011, 02:50:55 PM »
Who are the other five, donut?

In PC-98, there's Yumeko, Shinki, and EX Alice. In Windows, there are Patchouli, Remilia, Yukari, Byakuren and Mamizou. Patchouli just has such a crushingly long and boring stage to try continuously, and Yukari and Mamizou are extra bosses. Even those I could definitely perfect if I sunk the five hours needed for each, but Remilia and Byakuren make the dream of absolute perfection as far away as ever. X(
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #841 on: October 21, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »
Do Patchy with all 4 shot types  :V

Seriously though, I can relate to not wanting to go through that stage, it's the only reason I gave up trying to capture every normal spell in the series (that, and the Prismriver solo cards, and to a much lesser extent, Flying Fantastica)
Remilia is half luck, half skill, half dealing with whatever BS she throws at you as far as I know (I got walled on Scarlet Gensoyko when I cleared lunatic), and I've never captured half the stuff Yukari has, and I know if I did manage to perfect her to Danmaku Bounded Field, nerves would make me choke even though I'm really consistent at it.

Good luck getting them though!

« Reply #842 on: October 21, 2011, 03:37:51 PM »

« Reply #843 on: October 21, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »
Perfected Kanako on hard. [replay]
Нахуя вам тохо?

« Reply #844 on: October 21, 2011, 05:58:45 PM »
Yukari and Mamizou are extra bosses. Even those I could definitely perfect if I sunk the five hours needed for each

Surely you mean 20-30 minutes right? :V

« Reply #845 on: October 21, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »
Even I almost perfected Patchouli a few times, but that was with MarisaB.

It's only 20-30 minutes if you don't fail consistently at certain stuff. I could perfect Yukari if I bothered to put in the effort considering I perfected everything on her outside of BoLaD in my no deaths run. I just don't want to deal with all the stuff that can go wrong.

nintendonut888

« Reply #846 on: October 21, 2011, 06:46:53 PM »
You don't understand; I realize it's in my grasp. I've come very close to perfecting Yukari more than once; I've even had perfecting Remilia in my grasp twice. The one thing that I absolutely hate is the mindset I get into once I set my mind to a task. I cannot enjoy that boss until I perfect her. I often can't even bring myself to play a stage besides that one. My entire life gets taken over by the compulsion until I succeed. >_< That, more than any other reason, is why I dread putting in the effort of perfecting bosses. Yet I've somehow reached this point...
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #847 on: October 21, 2011, 09:30:19 PM »
What I decided to do with bosses like Mamizou, Byakuren and the few other bosses I haven't perfected is to just try them casually as I feel like it an do my best. Sure it takes a lot longer that way but it gets way less depressing. It did mean that my perfect run of Shou took a long time to accomplish because I needed to get used to her wicked patterns again. In addition, going actively for a perfect run in Touhou takes some serious dedication since those stages do their best to erode your mind with boredom.

So basically don't go ramming your head against the bosses over and over again, just make sure to return to them regularly and play them but without neglecting other bosses you think are fun.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #848 on: October 21, 2011, 10:53:15 PM »
Patchouli,

Use ReimuA get instant perfect.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #849 on: October 21, 2011, 11:24:40 PM »
I tried EoSD lunatic with MarisaA once.
4/5 Patchy spells captured.  Naturally, I missed Emerald Megalith.

With ReimuA I can only get 2/5 per run.

« Reply #850 on: October 21, 2011, 11:35:05 PM »
Because Mercury Poison hypnotizes me and stops my brain from functioning, naturally MarisaA is the easiest for me since that's the only shottype who doesn't have to face it. Bonus points for highest damage, too. The only bull-shit tier card she faces is Lava Cromlech if you ask me..The only fight I've perfected is ReimuB in a full run, just going to Patchy without bombs and not getting hit. That was a complete fluke of course.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:36:42 PM by Vanhaomena69 »

nintendonut888

« Reply #851 on: October 21, 2011, 11:48:21 PM »

* Donut tries out of boredom, perfects Patchouli on his first try

Uh.

Well.

Huh.

o-o

...Seven bosses left...damn it now it won't be a round number when I'm through with PC-98. :<

EDIT: Also, I don't know what you guys are talking about. The reason Patchouli has been so daunting is because I main Marisa A, and her Patchouli fight on max rank is the most difficult boss in the series, bar none. Even below max rank I almost never pass her in a full run without losing two lives.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:55:25 PM by nintendonut888 »

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #852 on: October 22, 2011, 01:24:04 AM »
Because Mercury Poison hypnotizes me and stops my brain from functioning, naturally MarisaA is the easiest for me since that's the only shottype who doesn't have to face it. Bonus points for highest damage, too. The only bull-shit tier card she faces is Lava Cromlech if you ask me..The only fight I've perfected is ReimuB in a full run, just going to Patchy without bombs and not getting hit. That was a complete fluke of course.
I tried EoSD lunatic with MarisaA once.
4/5 Patchy spells captured.  Naturally, I missed Emerald Megalith.

With ReimuA I can only get 2/5 per run.
??? MarisaA? Really?
Her leaf card is freaking annoying as hell, always screw me up.
Emerald Megalith is no joke either - constantly getting walled.
I find ReimuA's cards more manageable.

EDIT: Also, I don't know what you guys are talking about. The reason Patchouli has been so daunting is because I main Marisa A, and her Patchouli fight on max rank is the most difficult boss in the series, bar none. Even below max rank I almost never pass her in a full run without losing two lives.
Hm, I would expect a few other bosses to be more difficult... Byakuren for example. She even kills me easily on normal mode.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #853 on: October 22, 2011, 02:05:05 AM »
have a TD extra run featuring my FIRST EVER CAPTURE of... the second midboss card. Seriously, shit's like an autobomb for me.

I will clear this yet.

As soon as I, yknow... get some practice on those nonspells. :ohdear:

Zil

« Reply #854 on: October 22, 2011, 02:13:58 AM »
So I figured I go for these overdrive things...
Stage 1 overdrive: 14 tries
Stage 2 overdrive: 11 tries 10 tries
Stage 3 overdrive: 2 tries
Stage 4 overdrive: 81 tries  :X 113
Stage 5 midboss: 5 tries 7 tries
Stage 5 overdrive: 1 try
Stage 6 overdrive: 1 try

EDIT: got some numbers wrong, but fixed 'em. I tricked myself with stage 4 thing. On my 81st try, Seiga and I died simultaneously, so I saved the replay, then took 30 more tries to actually capture it. When I went to check the number of attempts, I watched the wrong reply :V

Somehow I feel that these numbers make no sense...

Another thing, (and maybe this should go in the help thread, idk) when people talk about perfecting bosses, do they mean the just the boss, or the whole stage? I think I have perfected Patchy, but never in my life have I survived that spam of green bullets before the midboss. Mainly I want to know because I forced myself through stage 3 in SA a zillion times after perfecting Yugi, just because I felt like it wasn't considered truly "perfect" unless I perfected the stage as well in the same run.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:33:17 PM by Zil »

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #855 on: October 22, 2011, 03:09:03 AM »
Stage 2 overdrive: 11 tries
Stage 4 overdrive: 81 tries  :X
Stage 5 midboss: 5 tries

those numbers are pretty impressive, nicely done. TAO took me 134 tries, +30 more for a timeout :<

also

Another thing, (and maybe this should go in the help thread, idk) when people talk about perfecting bosses, do they mean the just the boss, or the whole stage?

that's just the boss, afaik

« Reply #856 on: October 22, 2011, 03:16:12 AM »
Another thing, (and maybe this should go in the help thread, idk) when people talk about perfecting bosses, do they mean the just the boss, or the whole stage? I think I have perfected Patchy, but never in my life have I survived that spam of green bullets before the midboss. Mainly I want to know because I forced myself through stage 3 in SA a zillion times after perfecting Yugi, just because I felt like it wasn't considered truly "perfect" unless I perfected the stage as well in the same run.
If the stage is perfected as well, the player would say so because it's more impressive, so yeah it refers to boss only  :V
Does rank carry over from the stage to the boss? If yes, you can self-deceive by triple suiciding late in the stage in games with a rank system and have an easier time with the boss. I hope we're all above such trickery, though ::)

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #857 on: October 22, 2011, 03:19:19 AM »

Try mine.
Yuyuko: 1 (I didn't move.  I didn't get hit.  Lucky me.)
Kyouko: 6
Yoshika: 4
Seiga: 321
Tojiko: 2
Futo: 6
Miko: 3
Mamziou: 25, 8 (first capture took 25, update to version 1.00c, re-capture so I have a replay of it, it took 8 tries, it was also the first overdrive I tried)

On the perfecting bosses thing, I perfected ExPatchy, ExChen, ExKanako, and ExSanae out of boredom and wanting toredo some extras randomly.  I tried capturing every spell and derped a bit, so I didn't clear any.

I've also had about a half dozen 1 miss UFO normal stage 4s.  The chokes ranged from Sinker Ghost (4 of them) to Deep Vortex (1) to Ghost Ship's Port (1).

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #858 on: October 22, 2011, 03:27:02 AM »

Looks quite impressive actually, and the earlier ones are indeed hard.
Mine:
Stage 1 overdrive: 19 tries
Stage 2 overdrive: 32 tries
Stage 3 overdrive: 38 tries
Stage 4 overdrive: 245 tries <<< !!!
Stage 5 midboss: 3 tries
Stage 5 overdrive: 34 tries << kept dying to the last 3 seconds or derp the first part.
Stage 6 overdrive: 16 tries
Extra overdrive: 13 tries

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #859 on: October 22, 2011, 03:43:41 AM »
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=16519
What is this I don't even.
HOW did I perfect Kanako (normal) first try, when I'd only ever captured her 4th spell once and I'm horribly inconsistent at her 3rd spell, and her 2nd nonspell (only on normal do I have trouble with it)...
I guess I should go perfect Aya to have perfected all normal bosses in MoF.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #860 on: October 22, 2011, 03:50:19 AM »
TAO took me 9 tries with Youmu and 67 tries with Reimu.

nintendonut888

« Reply #861 on: October 22, 2011, 03:57:20 AM »
If the stage is perfected as well, the player would say so because it's more impressive, so yeah it refers to boss only  :V
Does rank carry over from the stage to the boss? If yes, you can self-deceive by triple suiciding late in the stage in games with a rank system and have an easier time with the boss. I hope we're all above such trickery, though ::)

* Donut whistles

I did do this just now with Patchouli, but a perfect is a perfect. :B

Anyway, in a sick fit of inspiration, I just grinded Remilia for a bit (tries have officially breached the 400 mark >_<). Perfecting her is still far beyond realism, but I just confirmed a theory I developed a bit back and now have a way to raise my success rate on Young Demon Lord exponentially. :D

The thing is though, Scarlet Meister...there has GOT to be some way to at least increase my odds, but this is one spell card, out of all the spell cards in the series that just feels...impenetrable to me. Unless I could discover a secret to it, I will never get serious about perfecting Remilia.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #862 on: October 22, 2011, 04:05:03 AM »
The thing is though, Scarlet Meister...there has GOT to be some way to at least increase my odds, but this is one spell card, out of all the spell cards in the series that just feels...impenetrable to me. Unless I could discover a secret to it, I will never get serious about perfecting Remilia.
I think I remember someone here posting a vid showing one strategy, namely redirecting the odd-numbered waves to her left (basically, the first in each pair), and trying your best to follow Remilia around as needed during the even-numbered ones before repeating the process. I don't have the link handy, but if anyone else knows what I'm referring to, go ahead and re-post it.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Zil

« Reply #863 on: October 22, 2011, 04:22:07 AM »
I realize I forgot the number for Mamizou's overdrive: 12 tries

In my experience, any pattern that is even remotely effected by the player's position always has a trick, even if ZUN didn't mean for there to be one. But then, who knows what he's actually thinking.

About the rank thing... to get to max rank, you just have to do everything beforehand flawlessly right? It doesn't take some speedy spell captures or some other trick?

And sorry if I'm asking questions instead of stating accomplishments. Let's see umm... got a no focus phantasm clear a while back... 1 death no bomb UFO extra...

nintendonut888

« Reply #864 on: October 22, 2011, 04:31:54 AM »
[21:25] <Kuruminut> It's time for...DONUT LOGIC THEATER~~~
[21:26] <Kuruminut> Donut: Grr, this is so hard. Not only is it random, fast, and near impossible to parse and dodge at the same time, but these metal fatigue bullets have such wonky hitboxes! Argh!
[21:27] <Kuruminut> Iji-Donut: Uhm, if the metal fatigue bullets have such wonky hitboxes in this game, wouldn't it be in your best interest to find gaps that don't involve moving through those and instead looking to dodge the much more lenient round bullets?
[21:27] <Kuruminut> Donut: ...I'M A GENIUS!

Hasn't yielded a capture, but merely this mindset is something that may strengthen me against this spell card. :D

Of course, I still don't feel it realistic. -^-

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #865 on: October 22, 2011, 04:45:16 AM »
I guess I should go perfect Aya to have perfected all normal bosses in MoF.
done, first try.
This has spawned in me the crazy idea to perfect every boss on normal.
Byakuren...I'm not looking forward to that one...
Or Orin, or Shou, or any of the final bosses really or Stage 5 bosses really.

Tried China, Remilia and Eirin, failed each.  However...IN-STAGE HOURAI ELIXIR CAPTURE

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #866 on: October 22, 2011, 08:18:13 AM »
I think I remember someone here posting a vid showing one strategy, namely redirecting the odd-numbered waves to her left (basically, the first in each pair), and trying your best to follow Remilia around as needed during the even-numbered ones before repeating the process. I don't have the link handy, but if anyone else knows what I'm referring to, go ahead and re-post it.

You mean Baity's vid?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgPffmr2pbs

Doesn't look very complicated, but hard to do in practice though, due to the sheer speed and density.
Plus Remilia's movement is freaking annoying. Once I survived to 3 seconds. History is still like 0/550 or smthing.
That, and Scarlet Gensokyo are 2 spells I have yet to capture in EoSD.

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #867 on: October 22, 2011, 09:15:23 AM »
Phantasmagoria of Flower View LUNATIC 1cc (Marisa) Now in vid?o format.
Only shows the last stage.
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

nintendonut888

« Reply #869 on: October 22, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
The thing about that Scarlet Meister strategy is the part where it says your movement should be dependent on where Remilia moves. Remilia's movement in Scarlet Meister is completely random. Where she randomly moves completely changes the formation of the waves. By the time you see where she randomly moves, it is impossible to change the direction you were originally moving because of the thick burst in the middle. So basically, you just have to guess.