Author Topic: 東方カードモンスターズ Phantasmal Summoners Translation Project  (Read 47210 times)

東方カードモンスターズ (Touhou Card Monsters) English name: Phantasmal Summoners is a mini-RPG released at C83 by Strawberry Bose.

The gameplay is similar to that of the older Shin Megami Tenseis and Pokemon, where a lead character does battle with up to 6 "Card Monsters", using up to two at a time. You may modify or transform cards into more powerful versions and enabling Twitter functionality lets you randomly encounter the parties of other players.

This is not a large project because it is a mini-RPG and very text-light. However, the game can be quite fun. TheNamelessGuy has graciously helped extract the *.csv files and I am hoping that he can handle the majority of the project with his expertise. The ball's in your court!

Changelog
-All safely translatable files complete.

Current Status:
-All files, except "穴", which is a csv file detailing card slots and seems dangerous to touch.
- 95% done by my estimation. (There may be untranslated strings here and there, submenus, etc.)

Notes:
-Skills seem to use a form of string concatenation, but I have no idea what the character capacity for each string is, so I'll leave that to the experts to shift around or summarise.
-Although I'm quite aware of GoS and DoD's translation status. I'm not using "Transcendent" because that category includes ghosts and spirits. I've gone with "Supernatural".

Translated files are hosted on my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lew8vfvmg8xdy3c/3ptsP7m2YM
TheNewGuy's extracted files (images in need of translation) are at : http://www.mediafire.com/?4j63yv2b8xchh
An image editor is needed for them. Translation notes for them are in a text file in my dropbox.

To do: Provide terse options to skills and monster names if needed.

Offers to edit images by people who know what they are doing would be most welcome, let me know if additional translations are needed.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:09:20 AM by Nanashi »

Yao-Kun

• Touhou Reimu & Miko Lovers
  • Busy doing college stuff...
Wow, that was fast!
I hope this translation going well, since I'm a bit confused to evolve monster (yes, there's monster evolve tree but I can't read it)
Will warmly waiting for this translation finish  :3

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~
So much for Take it Easy...

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
Amazing, I want to help in any way I can, particularly translation. If there's anything, please call on me! If not, I shall gladly wait, what you are doing is amazing.
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

Good headway! I glanced over the files you've done so far and have made various corrections. Needs more, but I'll do that later on. For now I'll say that you shouldn't use 'crawlers', go with reptiles instead. A lizardman is still a reptile and certainly doesn't crawl.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
One question, will the current translated files work when they replace the original files?
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

One question, will the current translated files work when they replace the original files?

It wouldn't be much of a translation if they didn't, now would it?

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
Alright, thanks. With that I shall test the current files.
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

I don't think you understand? Considering you need more than these files to change the game.

Anyway they show up fine in game, but they total only a small fraction of the displayed text.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
This is for version 1.01, correct?
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

@TheNewGuy

Story files seem to have lines commented out with #◆※, linebreaks are done with \n.

Questions:
1) Is writing "string\nstring" okay or do I need "string\n string" or even "string \n string"?
2) Comments seem to indicate 25char length per line x2 rows. I'm keeping characters per line to 25 as a result - is that necessary?
3) I might leave some commented-out strings untranslated since they don't affect the game.

no space is needed after a newline so string, \nstring works.
It's probably best to try to stick to the limit they indicate, but it's okay if you go a little over. We've had bubble overflow issues before, DoD's new bubble type seemed to fix that but maybe it changed again.
Some of the commented lines do seem to be code instructions or prompts, so I agree that it's best to leave anything that isn't clearly dialogue in the 'expl' column untranslated. 

Update:
My base work is almost done. I just have the scenario files left, which I'm keeping to around 25 characters per line. I hope I'm allowed to add extra /n commands.

Once I'm finished, I'll review the skills and monster name list and release a shortened version that you can choose whether to accept or reject suggestions from. As much as it'd be nice to keep names like "Mass-produced Mechanical Dragon", that's probably not practical, so poetic license will have to be exercised liberally.

P.S.: This forum has the most illegible captcha system I have ever seen.

A question. Are you going to release a patch once all of it is done or are you gonna release like an skills/enemy name only patch?

E: Who's gonna do all the image editting?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:12:46 AM by Hinacle »

Ans: I don't know, but it's not me. I consider my responsibility almost over. I've finally finished this and with the exception of some things which are conspicuously missing and I may have overlooked, the game translation is complete. The rest is in your hands, TheNewGuy, but I'll help with whatever is needed.

Missing:
-Status screen strings
-Submenu options
-Some master name strings in the bonus dungeon (added with new patch) like Byakuren Hijiri.

The inside leaflet copy protection image is in my shared folder under the name "insidecover", and I've included a text file called "Image translation notes" for anyone who wants to give a go at translating the image files that TheNewGuy uploaded at http://www.mediafire.com/?4j63yv2b8xchh

All that remains for me to do other than that is the aforesaid shortening of some skill/monster names.

Thanks for all this! The global file I gave you still needs translations though. I also wouldn't worry much at all about skill or monster name lengths, that normally hasn't proven to be a problem. (if it turns out to be I'll change it).

I'll be double checking these files now, would you like me to pm you about the corrections/alterations I make to them? After I check all these I may fish around for more of the hidden strings, but it might be best to wait on the new patch since they would be in the game script which changes.
I'll see if the gentleman who edited the images for DoD is able to edit these ones.

PM away, I sent you a few messages though.

I really don't like fooling around in the global file because I have no idea how much of it is code. The entire last third seems to be full of class methods like Rez spell coding, which I don't think should be touched at all, so I didn't. There needs to be an easier way to tell what's being used as a string input and what's a variable. :( I've uploaded it though

Some sacrifices were made, I don't think there's ever a way to compress a list like Fire Water Elec etc as concisely as the kanji. It might sound a bit dickish, but I've already added abbreviations where possible and I think it's fine to expect people to learn a bit of simple Kanji - Demon's Souls had all those incomprehensible symbols for stat values, after all.

I'm also not sure about some of the changes I made early on, which might or might not crash the program. However, the global file contains all the missing stuff I was worried about, so I've translated most of what I thought was safe (as in, stuff I see in-game).

It might be faster to contact me via IM so you can get responses quickly!

V 1.02 is out.

I hope it didn't change much!

Hello!

I'm really really really sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I SWEAR I looked for an answer but couldn't find any.

What are we supposed to do with the dropbox and mediafire files? How do we use them with the game to have english text?

Thanks for the hard work!

PS: I patched my game to 1.02 and used the GESOGESO cheat code but I have no clue what it did lol. Do you guys know?

Hello!

I'm really really really sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I SWEAR I looked for an answer but couldn't find any.

What are we supposed to do with the dropbox and mediafire files? How do we use them with the game to have english text?

Thanks for the hard work!

PS: I patched my game to 1.02 and used the GESOGESO cheat code but I have no clue what it did lol. Do you guys know?

1. You... don't. They can't be used in their current state.

2. GESOGESO opens a bonus dungeon.

Yao-Kun

So, where's the bonus dungeon located? I've input this and there's no new map.

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~

So, where's the bonus dungeon located? I've input this and there's no new map.

http://gyazo.com/3f95f4c012ea05ef83a394e2461c87a7

Yao-Kun

Whoops, I overlooked it. Thanks  :)

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~

1. You... don't. They can't be used in their current state.

Oooh okay! I shall wait then :3 Also thanks for the code tip. I saw it on the map but I just thought it had always been there.

Man is this game kicking my ass. I unlocked the 2nd dungeon but I am so not ready for it.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
Looking forward for this as well. But personally, I'd like to see DoD finished before... but that's just my humble opinion. I'll still be glad either way, even if the translation for this one finishes first.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Do you guys think this patch might mess up the twitter gimmick?

I was about to ask about this as well.
I just did a quick test with GoS's translation, and this came up on a random test Twitter account:
Gorgon BarrierでDeath Riderたちとの戦いで討ち死にしました。(決め技:Drain Sword) #souzin [週末3.01]
So yeah, I guess something might go wrong if that part with a monster race actually matters as well.
This means I won't be able to use the Twitter thing properly on DoD, either. :(! That one is useful for seeing how many tries it took until you got a shikigami or item.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:07:55 AM by homing curvy laser »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
So yeah, I guess something might go wrong if that part with a monster race actually matters as well.
This means I won't be able to use the Twitter thing properly on DoD, either. :(! That one is useful for seeing how many tries it took until you got a shikigami or item.
Does it actually matter whether or not the twitter post is half-english or somesuch in DoD? As long as the tweet is posted, it should be just as functional :P

It is, however, a concern whether or not half-english tweets will actually mess up the Wandering Trainer function in -THIS- game. I imagine what likely would happen is it'd become incompatible for english x jap wandering fights, but work for people with matching patches, if the translation patch makes the PS tweets come out half-english. Maybe it won't though since it's programmed differently to allow the netplay-esque function? I wouldn't know.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:47:21 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Just to say GANBATE and I hope the translation is going well :D

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
I'm not even sure my assistance is needed judging from the progress of this, but let me know if I'm needed for anything.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

DennouNeko

• The Cat of Knowledge and Shadow
  • I do some coding and image editing
. . .
No idea why I didn't notice this thread before, but got some good news.
Few days ago I got PM from TheNewGuy about editing the images and they are almost done. The initial version should be ready in a day or two. For now I'm waiting for few notes about 2 images.