Author Topic: Favorite background?  (Read 4939 times)

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
Favorite background?
« on: March 24, 2011, 04:55:48 PM »
Which backgrounds in the games do you like best?

Touhou 10 stage 6: Even though it's just a red background with pillars, I really love the way you fly through the place and move around the pillars.
Touhou 12 stage 3: The idea of flying above a flying ship that is flying through the clouds is really fascinating! 

I can't think of much at the moment...

EDIT: Added reasons for liking those backgrounds.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:31:33 AM by game2011 »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
Re: Favorite background?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »
Obviously:
Imperishable Night - Stage 3. What the hell is that supposed to be instead of the human village?
Mountain of Faith - Stage 5 & Ex.

Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - Stage 6. Best endgame background, having music in the background makes it complete.

あさらぎシジェ

• MS Paint Lasers incoming!
  • Surprisingly different
    • [あさらぎ Works]
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:36:47 PM »
SOEW EXTRA LEGOS F YEAH
Is it bad if I say Flandre's background, because it has Flandre in it? :V
If so, then PCB stage four. Including the giant door which is actually taken from a really old ghetto door nobody probably cares about anymore.

Also, not my favorite, but Yuugi and Shou have pretty much the same background.
Oh, by the way. I've found some new tea.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:01:26 PM »
SA stage 6, I just absolutely love that fire effect. Stage 4 and 5 are pretty impressive to look at as well.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »
PCB Stages 5 and 6. The stairs are so empty and serene. And the cherry blossom path in Stage 6 just felt amazing, especially with the music.
SA Stage 4 had a nice lonely feeling.

But I think my absolute favorite is one of Eirin's backdrops, when you see the first moon landing. I don't know why, but that was powerful.

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 05:15:15 AM »
MoF stage 4. The only thing I don't like about it is that it sometimes makes me have to go to the bathroom.
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
PCB Stage 4 for me. I love how it transitions over from just a black dark void to the sky.

[HJD]Red_Herring

• Having a bad case of life, can't help it.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »
It is quite hard to decide for me, but here are my 3 favorites:

MoF Stage 3: I don't know, it just makes me nostalgic and that is the sole reason of this choice. Being away from home for 10 years is not a good thing.

IN Stage 4: Especially when you are off to face Reimu. You know, right before the boss fight, the background rolls out fast and suddenly large moon greets you. Along with that killer in red.

PCB Stage 5: Now, the whole stage and distribution of enemies are synchronized to the background. I would dare to say this is when even ZUN was in some sort of trance when designing.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »
IN Stage 5 is also one of my favorites.  I just the love the way you travel down the hallway after Tewi appears.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 01:41:45 PM »
SA Extra, because it's like a brighter version of MoF stage 6.

PCB stage 4 for obvious reasons.

UFO stage 4 because it's awesome.

SA stage 4 because it looks like you're on crack.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
UFO stage 5, no contest. Coolest thing ever. I also like Okuu's non-spell battle background. I also have a feeling I'm going to like TD stage 1. The gravestones and path with lanterns just look cool and eerie.

zephyredx

• Car = ma
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 06:12:01 PM »
UFO had extremely epic background transition for the final boss, and Okuu's final spellcard did as well.
Why is Youmu afraid of Unzan?

Because the things that her sword cannot cut are next to nun!

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 06:42:26 PM »
The Saigyou Ayakashi in PCB

Keine's wheels/gears o' history in IN.

Okuu in general.

UFO in general. There's a good variety, but I especially liked chasing the palanquin ship and Hokkai's odd patterns and sunset.
UFO stage 5, no contest. Coolest thing ever.
My problem with it is dodging red bullets while collecting red power-up items on a red background. MEIN EYES!

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

a_certain_kappa

• Science and Technology :3
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 09:19:59 AM »
How can one admire the background when you are trying to dodge incoming projectiles all the time?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »
How can one admire the background when you are trying to dodge incoming projectiles all the time?
Good point. I find that some of the backgrounds really distract me (I would love to see a background brightness option to compensate, but that probably won't happen).

I really like the PCB Stage 4, 5, and MoF Stage 4 backgrounds though.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Iliq

• Something
  • And something else
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »
UFO stage 6, especially because of that sunset. (Or sunrise? I don't know.)
IN stage 6, because you're flying down a hallway in space. How is that not awesome? :V
MoF stage 3 has beautiful colour. I think it's the most detailed background in the series, actually.
PCB stage 4, because of the transition to the sky and the Netherworld barrier. Which looks even better in PoFV.
SA stages 4 and 6, because creepy windows and epic nuclear reactor.
That border of day and night'd Hakurei Shrine in IaMP.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
I'll just say every final stage background here.
They add up much to the climax of the game.

Aquila

• Sprite animator
  • Productivity is a drug
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »
I always thought Sakuya's time-stopping background was great. Especially since she's kind enough to give you a good look at the background before the knives start going for you.

Utsuho (Stage, SP and non-SP)

Youmu's time-slowing background

Elly (One of the few battles where the background attacks you xD)

MoF Stage 4: Enemies popping out from behind the background, brilliant.

Possibly off-topic but I like the distortion effect around most of the SA-onwards bosses.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 07:36:31 PM »
The latter half of UFO, and the extra stage too (and MS stage 6, because it's largely the same as UFO stage 6).

Also, SA stage 3 (Ancient City), SA stage 4 (Palace of the Earth Spirits), and SA stage 6 (subterranean sun). Stage 5 is interesting at first glance, but it doesn't catch my attention as well as the others do.

Edit: Donut reminded me of MoF. I will add MoF stage 3 (the mountain's river) and MoF stage 4 (Youkai Waterfall) to my list of favourites.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »
MoF stage 3's background is my all-time favorite; It looks like such a wonderful place to visit. I'm also rather fond of the simple charm of LLS stage 6 and the mysterious look of HRtP Jigoku route stages 6-9. And of course, who can forget the beautiful background of the final stage of Meiling's Hisoutensoku scenario? Puts most Renaissance paintings to shame. :V
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Yuyuko Yakumo

• Carry me~ow
  • Rawr I eat your face with maaaaaagicalness
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 05:47:19 AM »
Yuyuko's final spell in PCB. Seeing the looming youkai tree while trying not to get hit at all by dancing butterflies is pretty intimidating.
I know, I know. I'll get a real avatar and signature soon. -_-

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »
Yuyuko's final spell in PCB. Seeing the looming youkai tree while trying not to get hit at all by dancing butterflies is pretty intimidating.

That's her spell background, the one that shows in every spell card she casts.
Maybe it's fitting there.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »
Koishi's Philosophy of a Hated Person bg even though there's none.

It seems very mind-blowing how Koishi just hacks reality by flipping over the world (literally) and starts doing a very dangerous, high-powered spellcard.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 06:02:56 AM »
PCB stage 4 and MoF Stage 5. There may be some others that I would like more if I actually notice them, but alas.